Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Ojukwu, Obi Welcome Orji Into APGA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu, Obi Welcome Orji Into APGA (746 Views)

IGP Arase, Obi, Ahmed, Others May Be Sacked- Daily Trust / Nasarawa APGA Guber Candidate, Labaran Maku Canvasses Support For Jonathan / Ojukwu's Siblings Give Bianca Quit Notice From His Residence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu, Obi Welcome Orji Into APGA by Onlytruth(m): 3:08am On Jul 03, 2010
[size=16pt]Ojukwu, Obi Welcome Orji into APGA[/size]

From Emmanuel Ugwu in Umahia, 07.03.2010

Leader of the All Progre-ssives Grand Alliance, Chukwuemeka Odum-egwu Ojukwu, yesterday, proclaimed total freedom for the people of Abia State as the state governor, Theodore Orji officially declared his membership of the party.

Ojukwu, accompanied by Anambra State governor, Peter Obi and 11 national officers of APGA, including national chairman, Victor Umeh and national secretary, Sani Shinkafi, arrived the capacity filled Michael Okpara auditorium, Umuahia at exactly 2.55 p.m. with Orji and was greeted with a thunderous ovation.

“Yeah! Let my people go,” Ojukwu roared like an old lion,” adding “today, Abia people have been liberated to join the rest of Ndigbo.”He told the cheering crowd that he was inspired by God to come to Abia and bring them into the fold of APGA hence they should not be afraid of following him as things would change for the better in the state.

The APGA leader assured that having embraced Governor Orji, he would not waver in giving him support “until together we reach the promised land,” adding that he would henceforth treat the Abia governor as a son.“Ochendo, from today you’re my son. Together we shall reach the promised land,” he said.Governor Orji in his address described his declaration as “a historic day in the life of Abia State.”

“It is a day that the sun is shinning; it is a day that our eyes are opened; it is a day we are relieved,” he said, adding that he was justified for every action he has taken because he was “pushed to the wall and even beyond the wall by the national leadership of the Progressive Peoples Alliance.”

The governor, who was visibly happy with his new found party, explained that he left PPA because he was rejected and “if you’re rejected, you go to another place and seek for solace.”He insisted that his action was in consonance with the yearnings of Abia people and he was prepared to lead them in the struggle for freedom, alluding to the stranglehold of the Orji Uzor Kalu political dynasty on Abia State.

“As a leader, there is a time you must listen to the yearnings of the people. There is a time you must do what pleases the people because I have the peoples’ mandate,” he said.
In their remarks, Governor Obi and Victor Umeh said that the entry of Orji into APGA marked the end of “godfatherism” in Abia State, noting that God’s own state would begin to reap the benefits just like Anambra has been enjoying massive development since the dismantling of “godfatherism”.

“APGA has not come to rake over Abia State. We have come here to create an environment that will ensure sustainable and enduring development,” the national chairman of APGA said.

“What happened in Anambra State that engendered development will start happening in Abia from today,” he promised.
The event witnessed a mass exodus of political office holders from the PPA to APGA, with Senator Uche Chukwumerije, Abia Speaker, Agwu U. Agwu and 13 PPA legislators, as well as two of their PDP counterparts, all in attendance at the event in solidarity with the governor.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=177345
Re: Ojukwu, Obi Welcome Orji Into APGA by Onlytruth(m): 3:20am On Jul 03, 2010
Some said this would not happen. Well, more is in the pipeline.

The true progressives are finally coming home.
Re: Ojukwu, Obi Welcome Orji Into APGA by Onlytruth(m): 3:39am On Jul 03, 2010
[size=16pt]Abia now liberated from political bondage –Gov. Orji [/size]

[size=14pt]…As Chukwumerije, speaker, lawmakers dump PPA [/size]

At last, Gov Theodore Orji of Abia State has formally joined the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA), thus putting to rest months of speculation about the governor’s eventual dumping of the Progressives Peoples Alliance (PPA) on whose platform he came to power in 2007.

The colourful event, which took place yesterday at Okpara Auditorium in Umuahia, the state capital, witnessed the presence of political heavyweights, both in APGA and Abia State as the streets of Umuahia literarily stood still while the dignitaries sought for recognition

Among the APGA stalwarts who graced the occasion included Gov. Peter Obi of Anambra State, APGA leader and 2007 presidential candidate, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu and wife, Bianca; APGA national chairman, Chief Victor Umeh; APGA coordinator, USA, Chief Kpajie Onuchie, among numerous other national officers of the party.

Similarly, Senator Uche Chukwumerije (PPA Abia North); Speaker, Abia House of Assembly, Rt. Hon Agwu U. Agwu, and virtually all members of the State Assembly, irrespective of their party leanings, all decamped to APGA, alongside Gov. Orji.

Others who were at the event were former commissioners and aides of the governor, who curiously, waited to see the day come to fruition.

However, the deputy governor, Comrade Chris Akoma, the deputy Speaker of the state Assembly, Hon. Chinedum Elechi, were conspicuously absent at the event, which was massively attended by a mammoth crowd that defied the heavy rain to catch a glimpse of the long awaited event.

Speaking on the occasion, Gov. Orji said the event marked the beginning of a new dawn in Abia State, as the state has finally been liberated from its chronic political bondage.

"Today, our eyes are opened. It is a day Abians have heaved a sigh of relief. I was pushed to the wall and even beyond the wall and I am justified in any action I am taking now.

"Abia has been in bondage and I want to say my people must go. PPA rejected me. I was pushed away and I have found direction in APGA. APGA is truly a party where you can stay and find protection. There is no going back in my decision. I have volunteered to lead my people to freedom. There is no shaking and I promise Abians that things are going to be better from now," Orji thundered.

In his own remarks, national chairman of APGA, Chief Victor Umeh, said the party was cheerful to receive Gov. Orji into its fold, and that APGA would offer to Abians unfettered freedom.

He said APGA had demolished godfatherism in Anambra state and will do same in Abia so that the state could witness true freedom and genuine development.

"We are equal to the challenges. If you know the people we fought in Anambra state to set the state free, this one is a small battle," he boasted.

Speaking also, APGA leader, Dim Ojukwu, shocked the mammoth crowd when he forcefully stood from his seat and roared, "Let my people go."

He said, "Today, Abians have been liberated," while affirming his support for the governor.

Chief Ojukwu vowed to fight for the governor and the state until total freedom was achieved for the people.

Adding his voice, Gov. Obi decried godfatherism in Nigerian politics and assured Abians that their much expected political emancipation had come at last.

Senator Chukwumerije in his own remarks regretted the absence of unity among Igbo politicians but said APGA is the party that has the interest of Ndigbo at heart.

Highlight of the event was the issuance of APGA membership card to Gov. Orji and his wife, Odochi, by APGA national chairman, Chief Umeh.

http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=34032
Re: Ojukwu, Obi Welcome Orji Into APGA by 0hsisi: 3:51am On Jul 03, 2010
If anything happens to Theodore Orji from now on,someone should ask Orji Uzor Kalu and his diabolic Jezebel of a mother serious questions.
Remember you read it here.
Thank God the guy has broken free.
I hope he has publicly denounced their[b] Okija diocese[/b] too and covered himself with the blood of Jesus
Re: Ojukwu, Obi Welcome Orji Into APGA by udezue(m): 4:08am On Jul 03, 2010
Good job APGA
Re: Ojukwu, Obi Welcome Orji Into APGA by isimili: 2:00pm On Jul 03, 2010
I hope that APGA will make the difference in the rest of the states and win more states and seats in the assembly come 2011. But they need to be sure that Orji is here to serve our people and not his personal interest.

On another note why is it that these governors who are forced on their states always end up parting ways with their mentors? Look at Chimaroke and Chime, Egwu and Elechi, Ngige and his god father Eselu and a host of others. I hope that this will teach other people good lessons.

(1) (Reply)

2011: Why Pro-zoning Governors Attended Jonathan’s Declaration ! / Don’t Sell Oil Fields In Isokoland, Okpozo Warns Shell / Nigeria Far Behind G20 Countries – Okonjo-iweala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.