Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... (6347 Views)

Senate Presidency: Why Akpabio May Lose Support Of Colleagues / Why Yoruba Will Leave Nigeria By Bayo Oluwasanmi / 2023: Why Yoruba Will Produce President After Buhari – Clarke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by BabaRamota1980: 11:57pm On Sep 16, 2018
Oduah’s recent appointments in such agencies have provoked allegations of “ethnic cleansing”. At the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, FAAN, Oduah sacked eight General Managers, GMs. Six of them hail from the Southwest, while two are from the North.

Those affected by the weeding process are Solanke Gideon Akintunde, GM, Facilitation; Mrs. Ayeni Folashade Olufemi, acting GM, Internal Audit; Mr. Komolafe Samuel, GM, Commercial; Mr. Oyedepo Adeyemi Biodun, GM, Mechanical; Mr. Adefarasin Adeoye Emmanuel, GM Stores; Mr. Tanko Idris, GM, Management Services; Alhaji Maltala Iliyasu, GM, Finance; and Mr. Bello Olu Kayode, acting GM, Internal Audit. The minister also redeployed six senior staff– four GMs and two Regional Managers–and appointed 75 new staff in the agency.

Forty of the new appointees are from the South-East.
The minister hails from Anambra State.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/10/22/aviation-storm-over-ethnic-agenda/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Arrochi(m): 12:34am On Sep 17, 2018
Bros, abeg which kind weed you dey smoke?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by AskProf: 12:38am On Sep 17, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
Oduah’s recent appointments in such agencies have provoked allegations of “ethnic cleansing”. At the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, FAAN, Oduah sacked eight General Managers, GMs. Six of them hail from the Southwest, while two are from the North.

Those affected by the weeding process are Solanke Gideon Akintunde, GM, Facilitation; Mrs. Ayeni Folashade Olufemi, acting GM, Internal Audit; Mr. Komolafe Samuel, GM, Commercial; Mr. Oyedepo Adeyemi Biodun, GM, Mechanical; Mr. Adefarasin Adeoye Emmanuel, GM Stores; Mr. Tanko Idris, GM, Management Services; Alhaji Maltala Iliyasu, GM, Finance; and Mr. Bello Olu Kayode, acting GM, Internal Audit. The minister also redeployed six senior staff– four GMs and two Regional Managers–and appointed 75 new staff in the agency.

Really?

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Throwback: 12:46am On Sep 17, 2018
That's the Azikiwe way of meritocracy.

The 1960 government of Tafawa Balewa / Azikiwe comes to mind. Since the North could not fill most positions due to educational handicap, Azikiwe ensured the bulk of it went to his Igbo brothers in the NCNC, while the crumbs were left for the Western NCNC and Eastern minorities.

In fact, some federal positions were dedicated Igbo portfolios and in some cases where changes needed to be made, the position passed on to a succession of Igbos only.

When Igbo's lament about marginalization or meritocracy, it is because they miss their tribal exploits in the 1960s, when merit meant Igbo, regardless of who was more qualified.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by BabaRamota1980: 12:55am On Sep 17, 2018
Ethnic cleansing can take many forms.

This is one demonstration of what Ibo have always done when placed at the top of the food chain. They clean other ethnic groups out.

An Ibo President is unacceptable.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Xander85: 1:01am On Sep 17, 2018
Throwback:

The 1960 government of Tafawa Balewa / Azikiwe comes to mind. Since the North could not fill most positions due to educational handicap, Azikiwe ensured the bulk of it went to his Igbo brothers in the NCNC, while the crumbs were left for the Western NCNC and Eastern minorities.

In fact, some federal positions were dedicated Igbo portfolios and in some cases where changes needed to be made, the position passed on to a succession of Igbos only.

When Igbo's lament about marginalization or meritocracy, it is because they miss their tribal exploits in the 1960s, when merit meant Igbo, regardless of who was more qualified.

You come across as one sad, embittered, Igbo-hating bigot!

Your obsession with anything Igbo is alarming to say the least! There's just no joy in your life!

Since the late 60s, you Igbo-hating 'one Nigerianists' have had ample opportunity to show Igbos how governance should be done and how to make Nigeria a fair and equitable society, but where is Nigeria today? Nigeria has now become the basket case of Africa and a giant with feet of clay!

It's clear to everyone except throwback that Buhari is the most bigoted and divisive leader Nigeria has ever had since independence, but you won't find throwback tackling about his inefficient and toxic leadership! Oh no! Rather, it's Igbos that are his problem!

Cheers! smiley

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Throwback: 1:09am On Sep 17, 2018
Xander85:

Your obsession with anything Igbo is alarming to say the least! There's just no joy in your life!

Since the late 60s, you Igbo-hating 'one Nigerianists' have had ample opportunity to show Igbos how governance should be done and how to make Nigeria a fair and equitable society, but where is Nigeria today? Nigeria has now become the basket case of Africa and a giant with feet of clay!

It's clear to everyone except throwback that Buhari is the most bigoted and divisive leader Nigeria has ever had since independence, but you won't find throwback tackling about his inefficient and toxic leadership! Oh no! Rather, it's Igbos that are his problem!

Cheers! smiley

That you cannot stomach your history is not my problem.

How I come across to you is irrelevant to the facts that history reminds us.

Even I will be ashamed of all the factual and historic tribalism exhibited and perpetrated by the Azikiwe gang in the 1960 independence government, over federal positions that should not have been the exclusive preserve of a gluttonous tribe.

And I'm sure that the details of the topic showed that as it was done by the Igbos in the 1960s, so was it in the very recent Jonathan era by the Igbos.

We will talk about it, without regard to your emotional frailty.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by BabaRamota1980: 1:14am On Sep 17, 2018
grin grin
You want Ibo to talk about his inner demons without emotion. I will wait to see that day. grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Throwback: 1:22am On Sep 17, 2018
BabaRamota1980:
grin grin
You want Ibo to talk about his inner demons without emotion. I will wait to see that day. grin

It is even okay to be ashamed of the past misdeeds of ones forebears, but trying to paint me as Igbo hating as though I care to be politically correct against a rabid loquacious hate mongering clan, who sidelined others to ensure they have it all to themselves like a dog in a manger, yet are always eager to talk rubbish about the political leaders of every other section of the country, but when others talk facts about theirs, they are Igbo hating?

That "Igbo sense" can work on the feeble minded who have no knowledge of factual history.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by wowcatty: 1:24am On Sep 17, 2018
These have always been known facts, and you forgot to add how Igbos killed our leaders and spared their own and will still kill more Yoruba if they smell Asorock.
BabaRamota1980:

9 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by wowcatty: 1:27am On Sep 17, 2018
What has weed got to do with your history?
Arrochi:
Bros, abeg which kind weed you dey smoke?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Throwback: 1:29am On Sep 17, 2018
wowcatty:
These have always been known facts, and you forgot how Igbos killed our leaders and spared their own and will still kill more Yoruba if they smell Asorock.

No need for the fear mongering.

They cannot kill anybody, that wild demonic spirit of theirs that saw no wrong in ending the lives of others, while still celebrating the killings amongst the natives whose leaders and brightest prospects they killed, has been exorcised from their body.

Did you ever hear of Igbos associating with coups again since January 1966?

Even that coup that they celebrated all over the North and gloating like suicidal fools, they have since denied it claiming that it was a national coup because they had 1 deceived Yoruba Major out of 8 to 9 Igbo Majors, and Major Hassan Katsina was held at gun point by Major Nzeogwu during the coup execution to state what side he belongs to, and he smartly replied he was with Nzeogwu, that made it a national coup.

They now even deny Nzeogwu all together, claiming he was MidWest Igbo, so it was not an Igbo coup. As if it was Nzeogwu that killed Largema and Maimalari in Lagos, or Akintola in Ibadan.

Of course, they also don't forget to mention a litany of low rank Northern foot soldiers whom Nzeogwu never told what mission they were training for. In fact, the Yoruba soldier who opposed him when their mission was disclosed to them, was killed right there on the spot.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by wowcatty: 1:29am On Sep 17, 2018
Who is even going to vote igbo president?
BabaRamota1980:
Ethnic cleansing can take many forms.

This is one demonstration of what Ibo have always done when placed at the top of the food chain. They clean other ethnic groups out.

An Ibo President is unacceptable.

9 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by BabaRamota1980: 1:30am On Sep 17, 2018
wowcatty:
What has weed got to do with your history?

Perharps they invented it in Aba. grin

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by wowcatty: 1:37am On Sep 17, 2018
This is part of your story that will never go away or be buried.You can only remove history from school but can't erase the evil you committed against others in the hearts and minds of people who lived through it. Your history will always be told.
Xander85:

Cheers! smiley

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by BabaRamota1980: 1:39am On Sep 17, 2018
Throwback:

After Aguiyi became Head of State the Army elite and leadership was Ibonized. They carried out a similar ethnic cleansing and Yoruba soldiers were skipped for promotions.

Those in Yorubaland who have been crossing the niger to shake hands with Ibo are deluded. They are the ones promothrg the idea of its Ibo turn to preside. Ibo is remorseful because its not in power. Wait for them to be on top of the house....Yoruba will be their first casualty, fvk handshakes! grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by wowcatty: 1:41am On Sep 17, 2018
He's trying to use emotional blackmail to shush you. Igbos have no conscience I swear.
Throwback:

Even I will be ashamed of all the factual and historic tribalism exhibited and perpetrated by the Azikiwe gang in the 1960 independence government, over federal positions that should not have been the exclusive preserve of a gluttonous tribe.

And I'm sure that the details of the topic showed that as it was done by the Igbos in the 1960s, so was it in the very recent Jonathan era by the Igbos.

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Xander85: 1:46am On Sep 17, 2018
Throwback:

And I'm sure that the details of the topic showed that as it was done by the Igbos in the 1960s, so was it in the Jonathan era by the Igbos.

You keep on harping on about facts! Is it facts as cherry-picked and narrated by the likes of you and you bigoted ilk? Gimme a break abeg!

I know the history of Ndigbo quite alright, and given the challenges we've face as a people, it's one i'm mighty pleased with if i don't mind saying so myself! smiley

Your pain seems to derive from the fact that Igbos held prominent positions in gov't in the 60s (b/4 the uncivil war) and during the GEJ regime! I can empathise with you knowing how much you despise us! wink

Since you claim to be a creature of 'facts' maybe you'd have noticed there's a distinct difference on the one hand, in the social and economic fortunes of Nigeria when you claim the 'gluttonous' Igbos coveted certain federal positions; and on the other, when you had succeeded in wresting control of power at the centre from the 'big/bad' Igbos! I guess the man on the street can be a better judge as to whether his fortunes have improved or deteriorated since the coming of your god Buhari in 2015!

What boggles the mind is the way you bleat on about the 'greed' and 'covetousness' of Igbos in governance in Nigeria, but have little of nothing to say about this current Buhari/APC gov't in power! It's clear to any neutral that you're a biased, bigoted schmuck in dire need of help!

If Ndigbo are as evil as you're making them out to be, pray tell, what have you done or what are you presently doing to support the Biafran bid for secession? There must be something seriously wrong with you if you sit on the fence doing nothing when you believe you're sharing the same country with such a 'evil' people who according to your flow of argument, ought to learn from the Fulani and Yoruba how to be fair-minded, upstanding and model citizens of Nigeria!

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Throwback: 1:49am On Sep 17, 2018
wowcatty:
This is part of your story that will never go away or be buried.You can only remove history from school but can't erase the evil you committed against others in the hearts and minds of people who lived through it. Your history will always be told.

Oti ooo!

Igbos don't commit any evil, rather they are the ones who have evil committed against them.

Lagos-Ibadam press of Afonja have only told lies against the Igbos.

In fact, I have once debated a self righteous Igbo on this forum who posited that it was wicked Yoruba press that exacerbated the post coup pogrom in the North by reporting on the gloating of the Igbo. As though the Fulani man in Kaduna or Kano needed to read or hear news from the SouthWest about the jubilations of the Igbos in the same Northern markets were both traded, with the Igbo personally reminding him how they killed their leader and he was crying and begging like a ram poised to be slaughtered.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Xander85: 1:53am On Sep 17, 2018
wowcatty:
He's trying to use emotional blackmail to shush you. Igbos have co conscience I swear.

It seems you just bandy phrases about without knowing the meaning! It's clear to all that throwback despises Igbos...don't you read his posts? So where does 'emotional blackmail' come into it?

Anyone saying i despise Nigeria or dislike sharing the same country with the likes of the Fulani would be right because it can be seen in my past posts! I wouldn't accuse them of 'emotional blackmail' just because i feel my arguments don't have a leg to stand on.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by wowcatty: 1:57am On Sep 17, 2018
Igbos took other people along to a coup without telling them the mission and where they were going. Those innocent soldiers were planted to be used to make the coup look like other ethnic groups were involved. These people have been too criminally minded for a long time.
Throwback:

No need for the fear mongering.

They cannot kill anybody, that wild demonic spirit of theirs that saw no wrong in ending the lives of others, while still celebrating the killings amongst the natives whose leaders and brightest prospects they killed, has been exorcised from their body.

Did you ever hear of Igbos associating with coups again since January 1966?

Even that coup that they celebrated all over the North and gloating like suicidal fools, they have since denied it claiming that it was a national coup because they had 1 deceived Yoruba Major out of 8 to 9 Igbo Majors, and Major Hassan Katsina was held at gun point by Major Nzeogwu during the coup execution to state what side he belongs to, and he smartly replied he was with Nzeogwu, that made it a national coup.

They now even deny Nzeogwu all together claiming he was MidWest Igbo, so it was not an Igbo coup. As if it was Nzeogwu that killed Largema and Maimalari in Lagos, or Akintola in Ibadan.

Of course they also don't forget to mention a litany of low rank Northern foot soldiers whom Nzeogwu never told what mission they were training for. In fact, the Yoruba soldier who opposed him when their mission was disclosed to them, was killed right there on the spot.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Throwback: 2:00am On Sep 17, 2018
Xander85:

You keep on harping on about facts! Is it facts as cherry-picked and narrated by the likes of you and you bigoted ilk? Gimme a break abeg!

I know the history of Ndigbo quite alright, and given the challenges we've face as a people, it's one i'm mighty pleased with if i don't mind saying so myself! smiley

Your pain seems to derive from the fact that Igbos held prominent positions in gov't in the 60s (b/4 the uncivil war) and during the GEJ regime! I can empathise with you knowing how much you despise us! wink

Since you claim to be a creature of 'facts' maybe you'd have noticed there's a distinct difference on the one hand, in the social and economic fortunes of Nigeria when you claim the 'gluttonous' Igbos coveted certain federal positions; and on the other, when you had succeeded in wresting control of power at the centre from the 'big/bad' Igbos! I guess the man on the street can be a better judge as to whether his fortunes have improved or deteriorated since the coming of your god Buhari in 2015!

What boggles the mind is the way you bleat on about the 'greed' and 'covetousness' of Igbos in governance in Nigeria, but have little of nothing to say about this current Buhari/APC gov't in power! It's clear to any neutral that you're a biased, bigoted schmuck in dire need of help!

If Ndigbo are as evil as you're making them out to be, pray tell, what have you done or what are you presently doing to support the Biafran bid for secession? There must be something seriously wrong with you if you sit on the fence doing nothing when you believe you're sharing the same country with such a 'evil' people who according to your flow of argument, ought to learn from the Fulani and Yoruba how to be fair-minded, upstanding and model citizens of Nigeria!

I have never stopped your state assemblies from discussing separation from Nigeria. I have never stopped any of your federal law makers from taking it up at the National Assembly.

It is not my duty to campaign on your behalf or to appeal to my own state and federal legislators to do for you what your own legislators have not deemed fit to do.

In fact, if anything, I have engaged IPOB agents on the futility of their current approach as outsiders who have not been enfranchised to lead anyone or speak for anyone. I have advocated that they seize power democratically using loyalists who would not betray their cause, and then being at the discussion table, make their case without any fear of arrest or assault.

Instead, you are all depending on "coward and treacherous" Yoruba politicians to speak on your behalf and castigate the federal government, while your own "brave" politicians are both dumb and deaf now, while waiting in line hoping to reap some political concessions from the phoney crisis. Same politicians you care not to replace with IPOB loyalists.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by wowcatty: 2:01am On Sep 17, 2018
Word!
BabaRamota1980:

After Aguiyi became Head of State the Army elite and leadership was Ibonized. They carried out a similar ethnic cleansing and Yoruba soldiers were skipped for promotions.

Those in Yorubaland who have been crossing the niger to shake hands with Ibo are deluded. They are the ones promothrg the idea of its Ibo turn to preside. Ibo is remorseful because its not in power. Wait for them to be on top of the house....Yoruba will be their first casualty, fvk handshakes! grin

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Throwback: 2:11am On Sep 17, 2018
Xander85:

It seems you just bandy phrases about without knowing the meaning! It's clear to all that throwback despises Igbos...don't you read his posts? So where does 'emotional blackmail' come into it?

Anyone saying i despise Nigeria or dislike sharing the same country with the likes of the Fulani would be right because it can be seen in my past posts! I wouldn't accuse them of 'emotional blackmail' just because i feel my arguments don't have a leg to stand on.

I will admit that I reply Igbo hatred with like hatred.

But I will never tell a lie to win an argument. I only deal with facts without the need for political correctness.

My problem with Igbos is that they are a tribe that are bereft of any political correctness by nature. They feel it is their prerogative to talk about other tribes and their culture and their leaders as they choose to see them, but will never entertain same discussions about their own.

You are highly territorial and protective of your own, while not caring to lay to waste and derision all that others hold dear.

So yes, If I see an Igbo despising my tribe or Nigeria that they loved while in the corridors of power, he becomes a worthy recipient of my own hate too.

Let the Igbo continue to talk as they like, others too can talk as they like with the same reckless abandon we have learnt from the Igbos.

14 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by wowcatty: 2:18am On Sep 17, 2018
The way they lie and feel good about it is the biggest part. They are mostly Christians (at least that's what they say) and lying is a sin, not one-off white lie but every fvckin minute lie, especially when it's this big. I wonder how many times a day they ask for forgiveness. As far as as we know, Igbos have NEVER admitted to a single evil they committed against others.

We need to do more real justice to this thread tomorrow.
Throwback:

Oti ooo!

Igbos don't commit any evil, rather they are the ones who have evil committed against them.

Lagos-Ibadam press of Afonja have only told lies against the Igbos.

In fact, I have once debated a self righteous Igbo on this forum who posited that it was wicked Yoruba press that exacerbated the post coup pogrom in the North by reporting on the gloating of the Igbo. As though the Fulani man in Kaduna or Kano needed to read or hear news from the SouthWest about the jubilations of the Igbos in the same Northern markets were both traded, with the Igbo personally reminding him how they killed their leader and he was crying and begging like a ram poised to be slaughtered.

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by BabaRamota1980: 2:25am On Sep 17, 2018
Xander85:

You should separate the bloated bureaucracy and its drag on citizenry from the subject at hand, which is....the risk Yoruba face if we slack and yield the ground for Ibo to be in line of succession to the presidency or as a presidential candidate of a winning party.

This is not America or UK and we will never ever, as Nigerians, match up to those two places so no need to pretend ourselves as champion of equity and democracy. Yoruba must prevent and blovk Ibo from ever ascending this presidency.

As far Biafra is concerned thats a whole separate issue as well. No Nigerian is holding you back. You were kicked out of North last year and your leaders begged to have that eviction notice withdrawn. True or false? Your own Ibos have scattered investments all over Nigeria and are hooked to the honey they feed on. Its too sweet for them to detach from. There is no honey in alqibo to feed their taste and hunger. They are the ones opposing Biafra. They are the ones whispering behind closed doors to Buratai to dispatch military to East and clean out ipob before it becomes uncontrolably and Biafra is actualized indeed. Look Peter Obi in his face, look at Orji Kalu in his face, look at Ifeanyi Ubah and Chris Uba and all these your people...Nnia Nwodo dem, they are the ones stopping Biafra, not Yoruba and not Hausa. If you meant to leave you had ample chance last year to make it happen when you werw told to go ahead and separate. Why didnt you?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by BabaRamota1980: 2:38am On Sep 17, 2018
Throwback:

I will admit that I reply Igbo hatred with like hatred.

But I will never tell a lie to win an argument. I only deal with facts without the need for political correctness.

My problem with Igbos is that they are a tribe that are bereft of any political correctness by nature. They feel it is their prerogative to talk about other tribes and their culture and their leaders as they choose to see them, but will never entertain same discussions about their own.

You are highly territorial and protective of your own, while not caring to lay to waste and derision all that others hold dear.

So yes, If I see an Igbo despising my tribe or Nigeria that they loved while in the corridors of power, he becomes a worthy recipient of my own hate too.

Let the Igbo continue to talk as they like, others too can talk as they like with the same reckless abandon we have learnt from the Igbos.

12 Likes

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by BabaRamota1980: 3:50am On Sep 17, 2018
Stellar. This is not a word that watchers of the aviation industry will freely use in an assessment of Ms. Stella Oduah, Minister for Aviation. It was not always that way. Oduah, a major player in President Goodluck Jonathan’s campaign, started out like a house on fire. Shortly after becoming minister, she turned her attention to the country’s decrepit airports and quickly commenced a lavish remodelling of 11.

It was a move that attracted huge applause from members of the public, who had become disenchanted with the shabbiness of such facilities. The airport rehabilitation exercise has since been hobbled by a shortage of funds and the applause has thinned out.

More worryingly, what is left of Oduah’s deposit of goodwill is experiencing rapid depletion on account of what she brands as a restructuring of the agencies under her ministry. This has put her under the headlights of public scrutiny. And the result has been less than flattering, as it contains a strong whiff of an ethnic agenda.

Those affected by the weeding process are Solanke Gideon Akintunde, GM, Facilitation; Mrs. Ayeni Folashade Olufemi, acting GM, Internal Audit; Mr. Komolafe Samuel, GM, Commercial; Mr. Oyedepo Adeyemi Biodun, GM, Mechanical; Mr. Adefarasin Adeoye Emmanuel, GM Stores; Mr. Tanko Idris, GM, Management Services; Alhaji Maltala Iliyasu, GM, Finance; and Mr. Bello Olu Kayode, acting GM, Internal Audit. The minister also redeployed six senior staff– four GMs and two Regional Managers–and appointed 75 new staff in the agency. Forty of the new appointees are from the South-East.. The minister hails from Anambra State.

At the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, NAMA, the minister has appointed about 107 staff since August, with 12 percent of them from the North, 20 percent from the South-West and 68 percent from the South East. This works out at 73 slots for the minister’s geo-political zone. A creditable imitation of this trend was produced at the Nigeria College of Aviation Technology, NCAT, Zaria, where Captain Adebayo Araba, rector of the college, was replaced by Captain Chinyere Kalu. Last year, the minister chucked Alhaji Ibrahim Usman Auyo as NAMA Managing Director. His replacement was Engineer Nnamdi Udoh. At the Nigerian Meterological Agency, NIMET, Dr. Anthony Anuforom, a South-Easterner, was re-appointed as Director-General.

Also last year, Engineer Sam Oduselu, Commissioner of the Accident Investigation Bureau, AIB, with Captain Muhtar Usman. Oduselu was relieved of his appointment seven months into his second term of office and no strong reason was offered. Oduselu’s sack, aviation stakeholders insist, was a violation of the Civil Aviation Act No. 6 of 2006.

AIB sources told TheNEWS that the agency, conceived to have a lean staff strength, currently has 45 people in its employ. But Oduah has already made about 50 additional appointments, most of them from the South-East.

“We understand that their appointments are already at an advanced stage. She is appointing between 45 and 50 new staff. She’s bringing these people without thinking about their salaries. She is choosing them mainly from the South-East where she comes from,” the source alleged. The appointments have irked stakeholders. Comrade Abdul Kareem Motajo, acting General Secretary, National Union of Air Transport Employees, NUATE, accused the minister of destroying the industry with her bad policies.

“If you look at what is happening, the minister is sowing the seeds of a tribal agenda. At the audit department of FAAN, the General Manager has been sacked and an Igbo lady is coming to occupy the seat. Six other officers from the South-West have also been removed from that office in other to accommodate the new people that are coming in. . Comrade Olayinka Abioye, Deputy General Secretary for the Air Transport Services Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, ATSSSAN, described the pattern of appointments made by Oduah as an indication that she is unfit for the job. “My take is that she is not only promoting ethnic agenda, but a destructive restructuring where mediocrities are imported to truncate or stunt careers of our qualified members,” he said

One of those appointed as GMs, said a source, “graduated just four years ago and has jumped ahead of people who have been working for over 20 years.. For the next six months, he will be going for training at the expense of the agency. These are the things we are fighting against because they portend real danger to the industry and we are not going to allow that to happen,” said the source.

Comrade Odinaka Jude Igbokwe, NUATE’s Senior Organising Secretary, is of the view that Oduah started well and sustained the momentum for a while before the wheels came off. “She did some commendable things, including submitting all the concessions at FAAN to a review. But now, she is doing many terrible things, like appointing people to positions they do not deserve. She is bringing greenhorns to occupy positions that are meant for experienced people. To me that will lead to a total disruption in the industry. Many aviation professionals have no job and when you bring people from outside the industry, that is the worst thing you can do to the industry. The way she has taken off and going ahead is not going to help the industry,” he reckoned.

Igbokwe also accused the minister of opaqueness in the award of contracts.

Look at what she calls remodelling of airports. FAAN, which owns the airports, does not know what she is doing. For the first time in my life, I see a government contract for which the name of the contractor is not known. We do not know the architect or what the contract is all about,” he said with barely concealed disgust.

Another anomaly that has sparked anger in the sector is the reappointment of Captain Henry Omegui as FAAN’s Director of Airport Operations. Omegui was said to have been indicted for a variety of corruption-related activities.

Apart from labour leaders, the minister’s actions and policies often get criticised by other stakeholders in the sector. They generally think her policies are not good. One of her staunchest critics is Captain Dele Ore, a veteran Nigerian pilot and President, Aviation Round Table. Ore alleged on 27 July that Oduah threatened to “deal with him” in a telephone conversation.

“At 11.13 a.m. today 27 July, 2012, the Honourable minister of aviation, Princess Stella Oduah, called me from a number “08055024340” and showered unprintable insults on my person, threatening my life while promising to deal with me. This conversation lasted 3 minutes and 8 seconds, and she claimed that I have been writing rubbish, lies and fabrications about her in the media.”

Ore explained that he was not against the minister as a person but against her policies and management style, which threaten the sector. Specifically, Ore criticised the minister for the airport remodelling project she has embarked upon, saying it did not follow due process and that she was utilising funds meant for other purposes to execute it.

There was also bewilderment when Oduah cancelled the contract between FAAN and Maevis Nigeria Limited, its revenue generating concessionaire, at Lagos and Abuja airports. The cancellation was in disobedience of a presidential directive. Tunde Fagbemi, Maevis Managing Director, has insisted that his contract with FAAN was to last until 2017.. Both parties are in court.

Oduah also drew the ire of Dr. Wale Babalakin when she began remodelling the General Aviation Terminal in Lagos in disobedience of a concession agreement between FAAN and Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited, builders and managers of the Murtala Muhammed Airport 2, MMA2. According the contract, all domestic airlines in Lagos should operate from MMA2. Oduah’s remodelling of the General Aviation Terminal is a direct hit on Babalakin, as Arik and other domestic airlines have been encouraged to give MMA 2 a wide berth.

At a press conference two weeks ago, NUATE and ATSSSAN identified ten areas in which they reckon that Oduah has failed. These, naturally, include the perceived lack of fairness in appointments.

The unions insisted that the new appointments have not followed due process and do not reflect federal character. “We have also observed that some unqualified elements are being decorated with the toga of General Managers without the prerequisite experience, expertise, skills and qualification as stipulated in the public service rules and or the subsisting conditions of service in the various agencies.. To add insult to an already sore wound, the Minister of Aviation has approved that a graduate of four years, without any sense of public service duties, be made a General Manager,” the unions raged.

Another area of failure, according to the unions, could be noticed in Oduah’s creation of directorates, something she is said to have no power to do. “The minister does not have the authority and competence to create extra directorates without approval from the Office of the Head of Service. The new Directorate created in FAAN, for instance, is a breach of establishment laws and a contravention of the position of the Chief Executive of FAAN, who had once claimed that he does not require more than three hundred personnel at the FAAN headquarters even with six directorates, which are being indiscriminately increased to nine,” said the unions.

Oduah has also been accused of meddlesomeness in the day to day running of the agencies, which are allegedly run according to her own rules. “How else can one describe the ongoing remodelling of our airports without following due process; where contractors are unknown; where nobody knows the costs of such gigantic projects; whereby FAAN which is supposed to supervise and grant necessary approvals for work done is nowhere near the projects; and where NAMA, which has no business in the so called re-modelling, is involved in paying as much as over N200 million as custom duties for items for the remodeling of our airports?” the groups asked.

The groups reckon that their criticism of the minister has placed them firmly in her gunsights and she is itching to shoot. “The minister has begun the unholy process of collating and collecting names of union leaders at the branch and national levels for possible transfers, dismissals and or retrenchment,” they alleged.

grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Yorubaskullmine: 6:33am On Sep 17, 2018
Xander85:

Cheers! smiley
Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Yorubaskullmine: 6:50am On Sep 17, 2018
Yoruba skull miners and urhobo or itsekiri slaves thread. Xander85 stop replying those lowlives who have nothing to offer the world except hate. You can't lecture fools and expect results.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Presidency Vs Yoruba Presidency. Why Yoruba Must Worry.... by Bane2020: 7:05am On Sep 17, 2018
It's early in the morning, in an ideal world people are waking up to pursue the order of the day, someone in another clime is wrapping up a project and research paper, someone is saying his/her morning prayers and other routines other normal people do... But what do we have here? A pack of jobless idiots waking up with Igbo matter on thier miserable heads, they sleep with Igbos tormenting them, wake up with Igbos tormenting them... even the ones in the diaspora aren't any different. As an Igbo I'm not sure if I should be flattered or scared of this morbid obsession... issa very serious matter grin

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari’s Talkative Aide, Lauretta Onochie Has Swallowed A Bitter Pill / *Nairaland Poll Obaseki (like) Ize Iyamu (share) Voting Continues Click please / Did Us Embassy In Nigeria Actually Tweet These Words In 2018???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.