Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Dark Clouds Over The North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dark Clouds Over The North (2221 Views)

Anxiety Mounts As Buhari Keeps Tinubu, Atiku In The Dark Over New Cabinet / Malcolm X Assassination: 50 Years On, Mystery Still Clouds Details Of The Case / If I Hated The North, I Wouldn’t Have Built Almajiri Schools - Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 12:44pm On Jul 05, 2010
[size=14pt]Dark Clouds Over The North [/size]
Written by Dahiru Yusuf Yabo
Monday, 05 July 2010 04:30

When thick, dark clouds hover over the sky, all cognitive creatures scamper to safety and earnestly wait to see the outcome and even pray against any disaster that might come out of the uncertain clouds. This can rightly be said of the situation of Nigeria's north today. In fact, the north can be likened to a pig tied in shackles in an open field and when rain began to drizzle, it turned out to be hot water. Thus, the beast cannot escape despite the scathing hot water which is harmful to it. The hitherto powerful Northern region which is seen as a force to reckon with in the socio-political equation of Nigeria has lost its grip.

With the loss in political power by the by the north, it has become so vulnerable like a helpless orphaned teen. The challenges bedeviling the north today both within the region and in the Nigerian state, are so enormous that the future looks bleak as we march aimlessly into wilderness.

There is the chronic dearth of respectable leadership in the face of homeward challenges and eroding relevance at the centre. And because the north is too obsessed with power, any time the rudder slips away, it takes a serious toll on the region and bare its internal and external wounds.

The ascension of President Goodluck Jonathan to the office of the president following the demise of President Umaru Musa Yar’adua has yet again bring us to face the sad realities of this region. Some people who have ill-will against the north have plotted against us and as if we are blindfolded, we are forging earnestly toward the abyss constructed by our enemies. I am referring here to the much ado about the rotational presidency which was instituted by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) through which the then powerful north conceded the top leadership position to the South in the spirit of brotherhood and national integration.

However, on completing their full two terms of four years each, the south, with President Olusegun Obasanjo acting the script, chose to compensate that gesture of the north with evil by imposing a sick person perforce on the people of the north and by extension Nigerians. Though the time bomb took longer time than expected to explode, it finally did with the death of Umaru Yar’Adua on May 5. The plan of scuttling the north’s turn to enjoy power by having a sick person as the flag bearer has thus materialized. In fact, well before his death, at least after his first two years, Yar’adua ceased to be the man in charge. Technically speaking, the north only served for two years instead of the supposed four years of Yar’adua’s tenure making Dr Goodluck Jonathan to take over his powers under the title of Vice President, acting president and later the President.

By this, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo the principal beneficiary of north’s magnanimity of power rotation has successfully paid the north with a different coin altogether. However, it should be noted that all this did not succeed without active connivance and approval of some northerners especially in the face of lack of any astute regional leadership to look up to it. Again, this in turn led to another scenario where we see the north being forcibly ejected from the scheme of things by an administration that come into being through a northern ticket. Take it or leave it, President Jonathan is there as the president today because a northerner had picked him as his running mate. Ultimately, therefore, he is serving under the northern ticket. Regrettably however, from the time of his declaration as acting president, in controversial circumstances by the national Assembly, every move of President Jonathan proved to be anti anything north.

We have seen, for example, how few days after his ascension to office, President Jonathan turned to bite the fingers that fed him and show his true colour without any camouflage. His decision to revoke dredging of River Niger awarded by late President Umaru Yar’adua and sack of northerners in key positions are all pointers to what Jonathan’s Friday would be like as seen on Wednesday. However, to utter disbelief, there was almost nothing was done by the North to checkmate the ugly tendencies apart from some uproar in the media which later led him to shelve the idea of revoking the dredging project. Yet, that all-important project is still full of uncertainties.

But indeed as a Hausa proverb blames crack on the wall for a lizard to peep through, all the threats facing the north within the Nigerian state have only come to be because the unity and common voice known of the region have all crumbled. It is pertinent to remember that naka shika bashe ka, as another Hausa saying alludes.

With his confirmation as substantive president, Goodluck Jonathan is now testing his muscles and has launched an onslaught on the north and its interest while everybody is helplessly watching the script being acted. While he is busy eroding the political base of the north, some people including some unpatriotic northerners are agitating for him to contest the 2011 election. If these calls succeeded, then the move (which is an addendum to the Obasanjo script of undermining the north) will be a nefarious and classical case of betrayal ever to happen in Nigeria ’s political history.

However, 2011 is, sadly, a lost for the north head or tail. If the PDP abolished its zoning arrangement and gave Jonathan the nod to run, we all know what we are in for. Likewise, even if they decide to allow the north to produce the next president, the tendency is that they either paved way for a northern traitor and their crony or else give the ticket to Vice President; the former option is more likely to materialize. In fact, Daram-dam-dam, was particularly selected overnight to serve as the vice president because of the realization that he, like late President Yar’Adua, is sick and may not stand the rigours of administering Nigeria or even the campaign pressures. At the end of the day, if the drama unfolded as planned, we will be having a repeat of Yar’adua/Jonathan saga. God forbid!

With all these clear writings on the wall, the so-called northern leaders (governors especially) could not sit down and ponder over all the issues with a view to mapping out a chart for the region. Rather than seeking relevance through internal authority, the northern leaders are desperately looking for national recognition. Alas, they, like many Nigerians are poor students of history. History has taught us that most successful leaders begin with their localities or regions before they assumed wider jurisdiction and history has shown that most leaders who catapult at once to the national level with shallow grip on their region rarely succeed or have a lasting impression.

Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto whom everybody in the north is now praising for his achievements and looking up to, achieved that prominence and power not as a national leader but as rather as a firm national leader who believed in the unity and progress of the north. He remained relevant and revered by all and sundry to this day and while he was alive, his firm grip as a regional leader gave him an age over others to assert certain authority at the national level. With all due respect to first Nigeria ’s Prime Minister, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, he did enjoy similar goodwill and relevance as did the Sardauna because the former was a national leader and the latter was regional leader. It was the same case with other regional leaders like Chief Obafemi Awolowo who, because of his influence as regional leader, is still revered and respected by all Yorubas.

It is this simple analogy that the present day northern leaders failed to realise hence they desperately aspire to national leadership while they lack any tangible presence in the north itself. Similarly, it is lack of the Sardauna-model northern leadership that thrown the region into chaos and mistrust especially between its people notably the Hausa/Fulani (predominantly Muslims) and minor tribes of the Middle Belt (predominantly Christian). Despite been intensely religious man, Ahmadu Bello rallied his subjects together and united them under one umbrella without any discrimination. At that time there was no fear of domination or subversion from any quarters.

It is that trust in ourselves that we lack first and indeed it is the sine qua non of any synergy upon which any progress can then be built. We the people of northern Nigeria have to quickly woke up from our slumber and realise the danger we are in for to get redress before it is too late to make amends. We need to be remembered that nobody and no part of this country can neutralise a united north. In unity we can achieve anything because population is to our advantage hence since democracy is the game of number, with unity we can do and undo anything in this country.

Dahiru Yusuf Yabo, a former commissioner in Sokoto State, He can be reached on dyyabo@yahoo.com
http://saharareporters.com/articles/external-contrib/6449-dark-clouds-over-the-north.html
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 1:18pm On Jul 05, 2010
Likewise, even if they decide to allow the north to produce the next president, the tendency is that they either paved way for a northern traitor and their crony or else give the ticket to Vice President; the former option is more likely to materialize

They don't like Namadi Sambo, because he stopped religious rioting in Kaduna state. The almajiri army has been thrown into confusion.
Namadi Sambo is the exact sort of leader the new Nigeria and new North requires; Dahiru Yusuf Yabo can shed all the tears he can for the IBB's and Atiku's. . . They are wasted tears, the old North is Nigeria's biggest headache and impoverisher of their own kith and kin.

The old North must be defeated, so that a new North that is friendly and beneficial to Nigeria can take root.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Adonike(m): 1:19pm On Jul 05, 2010
We want ONE NIGERIA please!!!
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by olabukola: 1:26pm On Jul 05, 2010
You are gradually sliding to the ranks of mekus, becomerich and Sefago/bkbaby99. Why must all your post be against north.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 1:37pm On Jul 05, 2010
olabukola:

You are gradually sliding to the ranks of mekus, becomerich and Sefago/bkbaby99. Why must all your post be against north.

Hm! Nairaland Police and thread invigilator! Na wa!

Clown, you are sooooooooo smart!!! grin
Did you not notice that the article was written by, "Dahiru Yusuf Yabo, a former commissioner in Sokoto State?" Did you also not notice that the writer of the article can be reached at dyyabo@yahoo.com? Please send any personal comp[laints there.
My name is not Dahiru and I have never been a Sokoto State commissioner. cool

The above aside, do you really understand the phrase, "freedom of speech"? I re-emphasise, the old North is Nigeria's biggest problem, its your headache if you cannot muster an intelligent counter argument.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by olabukola: 1:43pm On Jul 05, 2010
^^^^ You can ramble however you want it won't stop me stating what i observed. Soon you will start using map.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 1:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
olabukola:

^^^^ You can ramble however you want it won't stop me stating what i observed. Soon you will start using map.

Yes o! It will be the map of your brain. grin
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by olabukola: 2:10pm On Jul 05, 2010
^^^^ hahahaha it will be nice if u start with my brain at least you will start from somewhere. But dude you are taking this north rant too far. We all know you are GJ a$$ licker but be moderate and slow down on north bashing. They are not the only problem we have in Nigeria. Did you not read where Shagari wrote that its time they(north) conpensate the SS for their support all this while. What does that mean? It means that the SS supported them in all their bad acts since you believed they ruined nigeria. Nigeria stinks from North to South.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2010
^
You are talking rubbish. I am free to say what I like and refuse to be regulated by a dimwit like yourself. Its flattering to know though, that there are some jobless folk searching through NL for every word Beaf posts. grin grin grin

Where are id!ots like you when I post stuff in defense of Northern interests, e.g. this one? https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=473190.msg6326648#msg6326648

Have you also checked the pics in my profile?

You are just a fool looking for a place to exercise your foolishness. Be gone! grin grin grin grin
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by olabukola: 2:32pm On Jul 05, 2010
Beaf:

^
You are talking rubbish. I am free to say what I like and refuse to be regulated by a dimwit like yourself. Its flattering to know though, that there are some jobless folk searching through NL for every word Beaf posts. grin grin grin
Why so much anger? am not from North ok. You are free to say what u like but am a fool for saying what i like. Smart Dude you are.

Where are id!ots like you when I post stuff in defense of Northern interests, e.g. this one? https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=473190.msg6326648#msg6326648
This is North against a foreign company. I believe you will not be in support if its Nigeria internal prob.

Have you also checked the pics in my profile?
What has this gat to do with me? am not a batty boy, if i wanna check picture i check for the shez.

[/quote]You are just a fool looking for a place to exercise your foolishness. Be gone! grin grin grin grin
[quote]
Awwww i think u need cold pure water to chill, the way you are using those words only shows one thing, i hope you know what. How do u feel when you are discussing with somebody and he never used any s5hit word on you but u have used it more that 10 times. When we lack what to say we result to insult and abuse. Cool down bro, we are not fighting ok. Am just stating my observation.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 2:43pm On Jul 05, 2010
^
No sweat, I can chill and debate issues with you, if you will be reasonable. The other day, you accused me of desliking Yoruba people (you really have form). But, isn't it strange to you that the people in my profile pic are Fulani and Yoruba? You need to sit back sometimes.

Every living thing today, knows that zoning is the number political issue in Nigeria and the chief proponents of zoning are folk from the old North. They have threatened even their kith and kin who want to break away from the domination mantra (eg El-Rufai and Ribadu who were forced into exile by their old North brothers). So what is it that says a politics section poster called Beaf should avoid the politics of the day? And post what, by the way?

Attack the topic or agree with it or extend it, but leave it there. We can be civil.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Kobojunkie: 2:44pm On Jul 05, 2010
olabukola:

At least you are willing to give more time.   . . . this one has gone way off the bend in my opinion. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 2:47pm On Jul 05, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am praying that Beaf will give me more time.   . . . this lady has gone way off the bend in my opinion. RB@U!!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by formunt(m): 2:48pm On Jul 05, 2010
It is foolishness to let North rule this country
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by interestin: 2:51pm On Jul 05, 2010
What else,
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
@olabukola , see what I mean? This is completely off the bend . . . cry

Beaf:

However, 2011 is, sadly, a lost for the north head or tail. If the PDP abolished its zoning arrangement and gave Jonathan the nod to run, we all know what we are in for. Likewise, even if they decide to allow the north to produce the next president, the tendency is that they either paved way for a northern traitor and their crony or else give the ticket to Vice President; the former option is more likely to materialize. In fact, Daram-dam-dam, was particularly selected overnight to serve as the vice president because of the realization that he, like late President Yar’Adua, is sick and may not stand the rigours of administering Nigeria or even the campaign pressures. At the end of the day, if the drama unfolded as planned, we will be having a repeat of Yar’adua/Jonathan saga. God forbid!

YIKES!!!
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by olabukola: 3:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
Beaf:

^
No sweat, I can chill and debate issues with you, if you will be reasonable. The other day, you accused me of desliking Yoruba people (you really have form). But, isn't it strange to you that the people in my profile pic are Fulani and Yoruba? You need to sit back sometimes.

Every living thing today, knows that zoning is the number political issue in Nigeria and the chief proponents of zoning are folk from the old North. They have threatened even their kith and kin who want to break away from the domination mantra (eg El-Rufai and Ribadu who were forced into exile by their old North brothers). So what is it that says a politics section poster called Beaf should avoid the politics of the day? And post what, by the way?

Attack the topic or agree with it or extend it, but leave it there. We can be civil.
What am trying to let you know is that North is not our problem, we create problems for ourselves where their are none, if you can be truthful to yourself, Zoning or rotational presidency was a Brain child of a southerner, the north did not initiate, they only agreed on the proposal. Now we southerners are looking for problem by saying the pdp agreement should not be biding cuz a Southerner is the incumbent. No politician in Nigeria mean well for Nigeria, they are only politicians for one reason and you know that. If GJ mean well for Nigeria he should reform our electoral system and the way we appoint the election umpire. How can NFF chose the referee to officiate a match between super eagles and bafana bafana or black stars. Its unthinkable dude. God put him their to put things in other and step down not cling on power. It will do nobody any good. If zoning is being abolished in PDP why replacing ogbulafr with nwodo or whatever. Ibo man to ibo man. It shows that he is in support of zoning as far as any other post is concerned. Zoning is not good we all know but why must he oppose it after benefitting from it. He should have opposed it from ab-nition that is how a principled man should behave. He is the president today cuz of zoning, he was the vp cuz of zoning now zoning is not good cuz i have achived all. I wonder why you  are in support of Nwodo's appointment as pdp chairman when he is as guilty as ogbulafor as far as looting is concerned. We can't move forward with this kinda politics.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by naijaking1: 3:19pm On Jul 05, 2010
Beaf:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6

Beaf
I beg don't allow them to derail your nice thread by diverting attention away from this insidious article.
Instead of commenting on your person, your personality, your shoes, pants, toothpaste, whatever----let them talk about the article.
They wouldn't talk about the article because it indicts them, 100%. Instead, these two will talk about how you pharted while posting and reading the article. Don't be deceived.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On Jul 05, 2010
The article is clearly from the opinion of the writer, Dahiru Yusuf Yabo, a former commissioner in Sokoto State.  I am not certain how anyone is INDICTED by this considering the writer makes it clear that this is from his angle, in most every line.

naijaking1:

They wouldn't talk about the article because it indicts them, 100%. 

By the way, who are THEM? And how does the article indict THEM?
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 3:27pm On Jul 05, 2010
olabukola:

What am trying to let you know is that North is not our problem, we create problems for ourselves where their are none, if you can be truthful to yourself, Zoning or rotational presidency was a Brain child of a southerner, the north did not initiate, they only agreed on the proposal. Now we southerners are looking for problem by saying the pdp agreement should not be biding cuz a Southerner is the incumbent. No politician in Nigeria mean well for Nigeria, they are only politicians for one reason and you know that. If GJ mean well for Nigeria he should reform our electoral system and the way we appoint the election umpire. How can NFF chose the referee to officiate a match between super eagles and bafana bafana or black stars. Its unthinkable dude. God put him their to put things in other and step down not cling on power. It will do nobody any good. If zoning is being abolished in PDP why replacing ogbulafr with nwodo or whatever. Ibo man to ibo man. It shows that he is in support of zoning as far as any other post is concerned. Zoning is not good we all know but why must he oppose it after benefitting from it. He should have opposed it from ab-nition that is how a principled man should behave. He is the president today cuz of zoning, he was the vp cuz of zoning now zoning is not good cuz i have achived all. I wonder why you  are in support of Nwodo's appointment as pdp chairman when he is as guilty as ogbulafor as far as looting is concerned. We can't move forward with this kinda politics.

You are totally wrong with your assumptions on the origins of zoning. These are the words of the first ever PDP chairman, Dr Solomon Lar;

Dr Solomon Lar (first PDP chairman):
Tracing the origin of zoning in the PDP, which he chaired at the time, Chief said: "In 1998/1999, there was a request from the South, particularly the South-West. It was not only a request but a threat that they won the June 12 1993 election but it was annulled by the North. So, they were not happy and were not interested to participate in the political arrangement. You know, at that time we were trying to restore democracy from the military, and if we allowed any problem to come our way that may be the end of the restoration of democracy. So, we have to think of a way out, and we allowed a powershift, this time to the South, particularly the South-West."

He explained that the the annulment of the June 12 1993 election and the death of the winner, Chief MKO Abiola, led the South-west to have deep suspicion of the North, and this forced the PDP to allow power shift to the region.

"To cut the story we gave Chief Obasanjo the ticket at Jos presidential primaries. There were some Northerners who wanted to contest but we pleaded with them; please, don't disturb this zoning arrangement. We will, this time, give it to the South. I remember that my bosom friend, late Muhammadu Abubakar Rimi, wanted to contest.

"The North wronged one part and the country was on the verge of collapse and we said we will not sit down and watch; we could do anything. So, in the second tenure of Obasanjo we were still hoping on the zoning but it wasn't too strict because, at that time some people from the North also ran, I remember that Abubakar Rimi ran as a candidate.

"Engr.Barnabas Gemade also contested from the North as against the Southern candidate but principally those of us in the leadership supported the zoning at that time".

http://allafrica.com/stories/201007050285.html
The above should leave you in no doubt about the origins and reasons for zoning, it isn't hearsay. Zoning was always a temporary thing; it has in fact never been documented or signed according to Solomon Lar (see same article referenced above).

As to the bolded part of your post claiming that I am in support of Nwodo; where did you get that? It really doesn't help to pluck things from thin air and it leaves the unfairly accused party feeling insulted; but lets keep our truce.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by xterra2(m): 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2010
No but i GUESS beaf hates the North simply because they dont want Jonathan to be president Next year
As we know he is GEJ best fan here so obviously he dislikes the north this is common sense
And beaf please for you to defend someone like this YOU MUST know either know him or members of his family to which you are friends so please kindly tell us the relationship btwenn you and jonathan or you send me a pricate message and i promise i wont tell anyone, if you notice there is a certain politician i always defend bcus i know memebers of his family
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2010
naijaking1:

Beaf
I beg don't allow them to derail your nice thread by diverting attention away from this insidious article.
Instead of commenting on your person, your personality, your shoes, pants, toothpaste, whatever----let them talk about the article.
They wouldn't talk about the article because it indicts them, 100%. Instead, these two will talk about how you pharted while posting and reading the article. Don't be deceived.

Fact. wink
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 3:34pm On Jul 05, 2010
xterra2:

No but i GUESS beaf hates the North simply because they dont want Jonathan to be president Next year
As we know he is GEJ best fan here so obviously he dislikes the north this is common sense
And beaf please for you to defend someone like this YOU MUST know either know him or members of his family to which you are friends so please kindly tell us the relationship btwenn you and jonathan or you send me a pricate message and i promise i wont tell anyone, [size=14pt]if you notice there is a certain politician i always defend bcus i know memebers of his family[/size]

Case closed. IBB.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by netotse(m): 3:36pm On Jul 05, 2010
in the article the writer claims jonathan stopped the dredging of the niger. . .what kind of silly ass lie is this?

Once again one of the idiots up north wants us to believe that by virtue of where they were born they have a right to rule nigeria. . .shior!
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Jul 05, 2010
From the very same article . . . 
He disclosed that zoning was to redress the purported injustice allegedly done the South and to restore democracy from the military. He added that the annulment of the June 12 presidential election of 1993, and the death of Chief MKO Abiola, made the party zone its presidential slot to the South, particularly the South-West.
In essence, it was to the benefit of the south at the time it was agreed upon!
"It was just a gentleman's agreement; it was something sympathetic to a situation. I told you some people complained that they had been hurt, and had been injured too much and that their people were feeling the pains.
"So, they will not participate in the government in the political arrangement at that time, and if they don't there will be a stalemate. So, the agreement was not in written but a gentlemen's agreement.
"Nigeria supersedes zoning. Nigeria is what we are looking for; it was what prompted us to enter into zoning because we did not want Nigeria destabilised."
Again, the man confirms that it was put in place to benefit the southerners who complained that they had been hurt, and had been injured too much and that their people were feeling the pains.
"In 1998/1999, there was a request from the South, particularly the South-West. It was not only a request but a threat that they won the June 12 1993 election but it was annulled by the North. So, they were not happy and were not interested to participate in the political arrangement. You know, at that time we were trying to restore democracy from the military, and if we allowed any problem to come our way that may be the end of the restoration of democracy. So, we have to think of a way out, and we allowed a powershift, this time to the South, particularly the South-West."
Again a repeat of the suggestion, from the same man, that  the contract was agreed upon to benefit the south.
"The North wronged one part and the country was on the verge of collapse and we said we will not sit down and watch; we could do anything. So, in the second tenure of Obasanjo we were still hoping on the zoning but it wasn't too strict because, at that time some people from the North also ran, I remember that Abubakar Rimi ran as a candidate.
"Engr.Barnabas Gemade also contested from the North as against the Southern candidate but principally those of us in the leadership supported the zoning at that time".
I said it  . . . it was all for show! lol
On the threat that it is either North or chaos, along with the death of the late President Musa Yar'Adua as basis to continue Northern presidency,Lar answered, "that statement should not come from eminent politicians, or from those in positions of leadership, I have said that we should put Nigeria first, Nigeria is more important than any position, Nigeria is more important than presidents, Nigeria is better than anything and this is what we considered. The beauty of democracy is that we can sit down and negotiate and talk.
"The question of justification is not there. Nobody wished that anybody should die. In any agreement, whether written or unwritten, whether international or national, some unforeseen situations might arise, and this was precisely what happened.
So, to that effect, you have to take a look at the present circumstance, and how do we do? "And I think that was precisely what the governors of Nigeria did to overcome a situation which was never foreseen. We have to discuss, and this is why we want to hold a northern political summit on July 15."
"We will be sincere and honest. We were in love with this country at the critical time of Independence and that was almost fifty years ago and I am not a small boy and I know what we are saying not somebody saying rebel", Lar opined.

Interesting approach to this. . . 

So, from that article, one can assume Zoning Agreement was put in place to benefit the SOUTHERN MEMBERS OF THE PDP, who happen to be the same people crying FOUL after about 12 years of benefitting from it.  grin

And here we also have the umpteenth person here telling us that those who do not believe such an agreement exists are possibly in denial, and it was put in place to BENEFIT THE SOUTH.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by naijaking1: 3:39pm On Jul 05, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The article is clearly from the opinion of the writer, Dahiru Yusuf Yabo, a former commissioner in Sokoto State.  I am not certain how anyone is INDICTED by this considering the writer makes it clear that this is from his angle, in most every line.

By the way, who are THEM? And how does the article indict THEM?

The article clearly indicts the self-appointed defenders of "northern interest" on N/L, and they know themselves.

Dahiru Yusuf Yabo, a former commissioner in Sokoto? How could anybody who could barely write English become a commissioner in Sokoto of a places? The home of othman dan Fodio, of the Sarduana, and of our beloved Shehu Shagari?
Next, he will come to Abuja seeking to become a minister, or some other federal appointment all in the name of northern interest, when he could barely write a grammatically correct piece of article to express his opinion.

I picked on the quality of his writting, because he epitomizes mediocrity, and subversion of merit, otherwise, he could never have either passed a GCE or WEAC exam. Despite his convoluted views about Nigeria, he represents the opinion of many uneducated, half-educated, or down right retrogressive people in his so-called "northern Nigeria".
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by netotse(m): 3:47pm On Jul 05, 2010
naijaking1:

The article clearly indicts the self-appointed defenders of "northern interest" on N/L, and they know themselves.

Dahiru Yusuf Yabo, a former commissioner in Sokoto? How could anybody who could barely write English become a commissioner in Sokoto of a places? The home of othman dan Fodio, of the Sarduana, and of our beloved Shehu Shagari?
Next, he will come to Abuja seeking to become a minister, or some other federal appointment all in the name of northern interest, when he could barely write a grammatically correct piece of article to express his opinion.

I picked on the quality of his writting, because he epitomizes mediocrity, and subversion of merit, otherwise, he could never have either passed a GCE or WEAC exam. Despite his convoluted views about Nigeria, he represents the opinion of many uneducated, half-educated, or down right retrogressive people in his so-called "northern Nigeria".

WORD!!!!

were it not for the fact that i live in the north and have met quite a number of extremely intelligent northerners it would have been all too easy to believe that majority of them are as simple-minded as the commissioner-fellow
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Beaf: 3:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
naijaking1:

I wouldn't even mind his diction in the least, if only he could even just bumble through some sort of plan to lift the North out areas where they are at a stack disadvantage compared to the rest of the country; such as health, poverty, education and religious tolerance. In a show of shame that proves the old North has no caring for their kith (talkless of the rest of the country), the ex-commissioners words were about acquiring raw power as an end in itself; no purpose.

Dahiru Yusuf Yabo: With the loss in political power by the by the north, it has become so vulnerable like a helpless orphaned teen. The challenges bedeviling the north today both within the region and in the Nigerian state, are so enormous that the future looks bleak as we march aimlessly into wilderness.

In the face of the real issues facing the average Northern woman and child, and sundry individual; the above is thoroughly disgraceful. It is the more reason why the old North must give way to the new North. People like that should be swept away by the tides of change. We need men of the new North, the Umars, Ribadu's and El-Rufai's; not the boneheads that think power as an end is their birthright, but those who will serve both the country and the North.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by seanet02: 4:21pm On Jul 05, 2010
@ kobojunkie, the north has always been crying foul when ever it seems they are to lose out.
WHERE WAS YAKASSAI WHEN IBB CANCELS M.K.O ABIOLAS FREE AND FAIR MANDATE? WHERE WAS THE NORTHERN [b]LEADERS FORUM THEN? TRY TO STOP JONATHAN AND BREAK NIGERIA. [/b]SIMPLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by udezue(m): 4:34pm On Jul 05, 2010
RUBBISH!!! Its time for them to wake up.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by vedaxcool(m): 4:49pm On Jul 05, 2010
You know one thing the north will likely lose this time around for a certain number of reasons chiefly among them  is the level of dissatisfaction of the average northerner with their leaders.
secondly the minorities of the north are greed tired of being played by any of the same old click of bad leaders.
thirdly the northerners are looking for re-rejuvenated leadership not old men that have been tried time over with the exception of Buhari i do not se any credible contestant for the time being.
Fourthly the current crop of leaders in the north are greedy and selfish they are most likely to sell out in order to purchase the latest Jeeps than think of the fact that they are being robbed.
More heart wrenching the perpetual ethno - religious crisis in the north have continually pit we in the north against each other.
Back to the issue of zoning, the main reason the Lagos- Ibadan press are fiercely fighting against it is because if zoning were to be continued the Yorubas will be left out of the presidency for almost 40 years that is why the Objs of this world are tireless fighting against. As a northerner i will say that the zoning issue should be treated as a PDP affair and more importantly we in Nigeria should avoid exacerbating the issu as we are yet to benefit from the failed leadership in every level of our country when I see a common Nigerian insult other common Nigerians because of this zoning issue I come to wonder why common sense has become very scare.
Re: Dark Clouds Over The North by Katsumoto: 5:16pm On Jul 05, 2010
naijaking1:

Is Sokoto known as a place for literary giants or for fulani jihadism? You mentioned three individuals; none of them was a literary giant nor was any of them a graduate. The rest of your post is, however, fine.

(1) (2) (Reply)

50 Nigerians Honour List - Mko, Gani, Ibb, Boro, Fela Missing, No One From Ondo / Ise Agbe N’ise Ile Wa / Spell Cast On Fayose For His Death Wish For Buhari (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.