Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,217 members, 7,849,767 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:20 AM

Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities (6820 Views)

Why Parents Should Monitor Their Child/Ward: See What My Student Told Me / List Of Universities That Accept 120 Cut-Off Mark / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by Joldsilver: 9:30am On Sep 26, 2018
The act is worst in UNIPORT where 70% of my colleagues then in yr1 were staff children. This is not only occur in admission but also in the way they mark student's papers. If you're nobody , u won't pass exam irrespective of what u write unless u are too prayerful. Lecturers will be meeting HODs to anoint u to pass mbbs exam. It occurs among the the lecturers as 99% of the lecturers are rivers indigenes. It is too bad that this happening as many lecturers there are quack and sham. If u had passed through Uniport medical school u would know what I am saying.
I was told that the current Provost who is a woman has killed and berried the college.
Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by Linzo(m): 9:30am On Sep 26, 2018
UNN is worst, I remember beating the cutoff for accounting department for direct entry, I scored 265+ but wasn't admitted a fellow scored 197 and he was admitted.
I think universities in the SE are worst in terms of backdoor admission. I can categorically tell you that in SE less than 5% are admitted on merit every year

1 Like

Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by diadem10: 9:30am On Sep 26, 2018
UNILORIN is the worst of all. They won't even make the cut off marks public. Yeye school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by HigherEd: 9:34am On Sep 26, 2018
writerights:

There is no merit list there. Everyone is admitted on the discretion of the administrators. And everyone is eventually admitted.
CU only admits 50% of applicants, ABUAD doesn't admit all applicants for medicine and law. But you are mostly correct, majority of private universities admit all candidates which is a good thing as everyone, brilliant or not deserves to be educated.

1 Like

Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by CodeTemplar: 10:47am On Sep 26, 2018
writerights:

You got him wrong. He meant those he knew personally to have been admitted on merit and not the entire number of persons admitted on merit.

I hope you're not trying to absolve private universities of this blame because merit is not a list there.
What OP is addressing hardly affects private universities and like I have been saying Public uni is run with public money and should be the real place people should demand lower fees and high level of transparency.
The subsidy system in these public schools averages 350k per year and less brilliant minds who have nothing to lose by bribing a one-time 200k or even 300k will jump at the opportunity to invest 200k and reap over N1.5m in subsidy but the public uni guys will defend this because they are largely beneficiaries such porous system.

OP is right. There is serious admission slot marketing to highest bidders in public schools. Around 2001/2002 in LAUTECH those running such racket used to have serious cult boys as muscle to handle the rougher details of such rackets. It didn't start with post-ume. POST-UME only made it official.
Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by OlusegunAdedayo: 11:13am On Sep 26, 2018
angry
Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 26, 2018
CodeTemplar:
What OP is addressing hardly affects private universities and like I have been saying Public uni is run with public money and should be the real place people should demand lower fees and high level of transparency.
The subsidy system in these public schools averages 350k per year and less brilliant minds who have nothing to lose by bribing a one-time 200k or even 300k will jump at the opportunity to invest 200k and reap over N1.5m in subsidy but the public uni guys will defend this because they are largely beneficiaries such porous system.

OP is right. There is serious admission slot marketing to highest bidders in public schools. Around 2001/2002 in LAUTECH those running such racket used to have serious cult boys as muscle to handle the rougher details of such rackets. It didn't start with post-ume. POST-UME only made it official.

I chose Bowen in 2012 and I passed the exam and interview even though I had no intention of doing so. I had a jamb score of 251 and I applied to study medicine. I made a friend on that day whose score was 188. He made that list and I didn't. Bowen admitted less than 29 candidates, the quota given to it by NUC, out of over 700 who chose medicine. Well, pretty much everyone else got other courses. The entire number of candidates who chose Bowen that year was less than 1000. I wasn't even expecting to be on the list but him being on that list was the biggest robbery of that year.

That said, I should inform you that not one comment on this thread or any other thread I've read has openly defended the daylight robbery that goes on in these institutions. The fact is if these processes are not made open to public observers as it is in some federal universities, whether in public or private institution, admission list would be subjected to manipulation.

We shouldn't be discussing 2001 when Nigerians still had to travel down to their respective schools of choice to verify their names on the notice board.

I wasn't really concerned about admission into private universities but OP was emphatic and I needed to remind him that we are aware the same process occurs in private universities, especially for topnotch courses.

1 Like

Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by Nobody: 11:42am On Sep 26, 2018
HigherEd:

CU only admits 50% of applicants, ABUAD doesn't admit all applicants for medicine and law. But you are mostly correct, majority of private universities admit all candidates which is a good thing as everyone, brilliant or not deserves to be educated.

Sure.
Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by bahaushe1: 2:39pm On Sep 26, 2018
Agugbadin:
The minister of health is correct by his statement that some doctors will become farmers, we are chunning out half baked low quality medical school graduates and this is the one of the reason for many medical mishaps and death in our health institutions. NUC please intervene and do something urgently to stern this evil tide.

Do you have empirical data on this please?
Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by bahaushe1: 3:06pm On Sep 26, 2018
@Op it is not as simple as you put it.

Federal Universities admit candidates based on:
a. merit
b. catchment area
c. educationally less developed states.

Each University determines the percentage to be allocated to each category.

In the place where I work, merit is 45%, catchment area is 45% while ELDS is 20%.

Each University also sets a cut off point for all programs. In my place the cut off point for all programs for 2018/2019 session is an average score of 180 and above (average of UTME and Aptitude test). There may be other criteria like candidate's subject combination in UTME. In my place any candidate with wrong subjects combination is automatically disqualified irrespective of average score.

Sometimes one finds a candidate who has met the University's minimum requirements but could not be admitted due to massive competition. Some of these candidates do get admitted through other means despite the fact that they have lower average score. In my place this applies to biological children of staff who have served the University for a long time and physically challenged candidates.

Some candidates do get admitted from nowhere but they are the minority. I once came across a candidate that was admitted without even sitting for University's aptitude test, fortunately, her CGPA has never gone below 4.

NUC can not do much about admission process, it is JAMB that should do the needful.
Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by edwinclark: 8:52pm On Sep 26, 2018
EDWIN CLARK UNIVERSITY, KIAGBODO (ESTABLISHED IN MAY, 2015)

2018/2019 ADMISSION INTO EDWIN CLARK UNIVERSITY IS IN PROGRESS

CALL THE ADMISSION OFFICER – 0703 345 6475 (Call, SMS or Whatsapp)

Edwin Clark University is one of the fastest growing private Universities in the South-South region of Nigeria. It is fully residential and the 60th private University in Nigeria. The University commenced academic activities in 2015, following its approval by the Federal Government of Nigeria. The University has a global outlook, located in a serene environment conducive for learning and academic development.

Edwin Clark University is a short motor drive from the cities of Warri or Ughelli, Delta State, Nigeria.

The Motto of Edwin Clark University is Knowledge and Development.

Candidates who chose Edwin Clark University as their first, second or third choice and those who did not choose the University in their 2018 JAMB Form are hereby invited for Admission Screening / Documentation Exercise on any day of the week

AVAILABLE PROGRAMMES BY FACULTIES

FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
School Fees Per Session of two Semesters is N250,000. This excludes Feeding and Acceptance Fee.

B. Agric with options in:
1. Agricultural Economics & Extension
2. Animal Science
3. Crop Science
4. Aquaculture & Fisheries
5. Forestry & Wildlife
6. Hotel Management & Tourism

FACULTY OFLAW
School Fees Per Session of two Semesters is N695,000. This excludes Feeding and Acceptance.

LL.B Law

FACULTY OF HUMANITIES, SOCIAL & MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
School Fees Per Session of two Semesters is N395,000. This excludes Feeding and Acceptance.

1. B.Sc. Accounting
2. B.Sc. Banking & Finance
3. B.Sc. Business Administration
4. B.Sc. Economics
5. B. A. English & Literary Studies
6. B. A. History & International Studies
7. B.Sc. Marketing
8. B.Sc. Mass Communication
9. B.Sc. Political Science
10. B.Sc. Sociology

FACULTY OF SCIENCE
School Fees Per Session of two Semesters is N395,000. This excludes Feeding and Acceptance.
1. B.Sc. Biochemistry
2. B.Sc. Biology
3. B.Sc. Chemistry
4. B.Sc. Computer Science
5. B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry
6. B.Sc. Mathematics
7. B.Sc. Microbiology
8. B.Sc. Physics

GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1. All applicants for degree programmes, irrespective of their University of first choice are required to have sat for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) as appropriate and scored the minimum cut off mark
2. All applicants for degree programmes are required to have credits at SSCE, GCE, NECO, NABTEB or approved equivalent in as least five subjects which must include English Language and four other subjects as may be specified by each Faculty, Department and JAMB.
3. The five credits should be obtained in not more than two sittings.
4. Candidates awaiting results may apply

Direct Entry admission is available into 200 level in all programmes.

Candidates for Direct Entry are required to obtain JAMB direct entry form and must possess any of the following qualifications:
1. JUPEB/GCE advanced level passes in relevant subjects
2. OND/NCE with minimum grade of lower credit or equivalents.
All Direct Entry candidates, in addition to above, must satisfy the ‘O’ level requirements

METHOD OF PROCESSING APPLICATION FORM
Interested candidates could obtain and process forms for any of the above programmes through any of the following means:
1. By hand at the University campus or at any of the University Liaison Centres
2. By visiting edwinclarkuniversity.edu.ng or www.edwinclarkuniversity.org to download admission form, and submit duly completed forms at the University campus.
3. By visiting edwinclarkuniversity.edu.ng or www.edwinclarkunversity.org to register and fill the online application form.
4. In all cases, duly completed forms are to be submitted with two passport photographs, photocopies of JAMB score slip (for 100 level programme only), ‘O’ level results, credentials for direct entry and screening/documentation fee payments teller of N2,000 from any of the following banks:

Zenith Bank Plc Account No: 1014022279
UBA Account No: 1018657909
GT Bank Account No: 0171183354

2018/2019 ADMISSION INTO ECU FOUNDATION PROGRAMME

Applicants are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into ECU One-Year Foundation programme leading to admission into 200 level in ECU and most Nigeria Universities on successful completion. Students are to pick three relevant subjects from the group below:

Programmes Available Subject Combinations
B.A. English and Literary Studies Government/Literature-in-English/Christian
B. A. History & International Studies Religious Studies Economics/Govt/Literature-in-English
B.Sc. Accounting Business Studies/Accounting/Mathematics
B.Sc. Banking and Finance
B.Sc. Business Administration Mathematics/Accounting/Business Studies
B.Sc. Economics Government/Economics/Mathematics
B.Sc. Sociology Government/Economics/Geography
B.Sc Political Science Literature-in-English/Government/Economics
Business Studies/Economics/Government

B.Sc. Computer Science Physics/Chemistry/Biology
B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry
B.Sc. Biochemistry
B.Sc. Mathematics
B.Sc. Microbiology
B.Sc. Physics

CALL THE ADMISSION OFFICER - 0703 345 6475 (Call, SMS or Whatsapp) or visit www.edwinclarkuniversity.org for more details.

Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by genjb: 10:19pm On Sep 26, 2018
edwinclark:
EDWIN CLARK UNIVERSITY, KIAGBODO (ESTABLISHED IN MAY, 2015)

2018/2019 ADMISSION INTO EDWIN CLARK UNIVERSITY IS IN PROGRESS

CALL THE ADMISSION OFFICER – 0703 345 6475 (Call, SMS or Whatsapp)

Edwin Clark University is one of the fastest growing private Universities in the South-South region of Nigeria. It is fully residential and the 60th private University in Nigeria. The University commenced academic activities in 2015, following its approval by the Federal Government of Nigeria. The University has a global outlook, located in a serene environment conducive for learning and academic development.

Edwin Clark University is a short motor drive from the cities of Warri or Ughelli, Delta State, Nigeria.

The Motto of Edwin Clark University is Knowledge and Development.

Candidates who chose Edwin Clark University as their first, second or third choice and those who did not choose the University in their 2018 JAMB Form are hereby invited for Admission Screening / Documentation Exercise on any day of the week

AVAILABLE PROGRAMMES BY FACULTIES

FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
School Fees Per Session of two Semesters is N250,000. This excludes Feeding and Acceptance Fee.

B. Agric with options in:
1. Agricultural Economics & Extension
2. Animal Science
3. Crop Science
4. Aquaculture & Fisheries
5. Forestry & Wildlife
6. Hotel Management & Tourism

FACULTY OFLAW
School Fees Per Session of two Semesters is N695,000. This excludes Feeding and Acceptance.

LL.B Law

FACULTY OF HUMANITIES, SOCIAL & MANAGEMENT SCIENCES

1. B.Sc. Accounting
2. B.Sc. Banking & Finance
3. B.Sc. Business Administration
4. B.Sc. Economics
5. B. A. English & Literary Studies
6. B. A. History & International Studies
7. B.Sc. Marketing
8. B.Sc. Mass Communication
9. B.Sc. Political Science
10. B.Sc. Sociology

FACULTY OF SCIENCE
1. B.Sc. Biochemistry
2. B.Sc. Biology
3. B.Sc. Chemistry
4. B.Sc. Computer Science
5. B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry
6. B.Sc. Mathematics
7. B.Sc. Microbiology
8. B.Sc. Physics

GENERAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1. All applicants for degree programmes, irrespective of their University of first choice are required to have sat for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) as appropriate and scored the minimum cut off mark
2. All applicants for degree programmes are required to have credits at SSCE, GCE, NECO, NABTEB or approved equivalent in as least five subjects which must include English Language and four other subjects as may be specified by each Faculty, Department and JAMB.
3. The five credits should be obtained in not more than two sittings.
4. Candidates awaiting results may apply

Direct Entry admission is available into 200 level in all programmes.

Candidates for Direct Entry are required to obtain JAMB direct entry form and must possess any of the following qualifications:
1. JUPEB/GCE advanced level passes in relevant subjects
2. OND/NCE with minimum grade of lower credit or equivalents.
All Direct Entry candidates, in addition to above, must satisfy the ‘O’ level requirements

METHOD OF PROCESSING APPLICATION FORM
Interested candidates could obtain and process forms for any of the above programmes through any of the following means:
1. By hand at the University campus or at any of the University Liaison Centres
2. By visiting edwinclarkuniversity.edu.ng or www.edwinclarkuniversity.org to download admission form, and submit duly completed forms at the University campus.
3. By visiting edwinclarkuniversity.edu.ng or www.edwinclarkunversity.org to register and fill the online application form.
4. In all cases, duly completed forms are to be submitted with two passport photographs, photocopies of JAMB score slip (for 100 level programme only), ‘O’ level results, credentials for direct entry and screening/documentation fee payments teller of N2,000 from any of the following banks:

Zenith Bank Plc Account No: 1014022279
UBA Account No: 1018657909
GT Bank Account No: 0171183354

2018/2019 ADMISSION INTO ECU FOUNDATION PROGRAMME

Applicants are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into ECU One-Year Foundation programme leading to admission into 200 level in ECU and most Nigeria Universities on successful completion. Students are to pick three relevant subjects from the group below:

Programmes Available Subject Combinations
B.A. English and Literary Studies Government/Literature-in-English/Christian
B. A. History & International Studies Religious Studies Economics/Govt/Literature-in-English
B.Sc. Accounting Business Studies/Accounting/Mathematics
B.Sc. Banking and Finance
B.Sc. Business Administration Mathematics/Accounting/Business Studies
B.Sc. Economics Government/Economics/Mathematics
B.Sc. Sociology Government/Economics/Geography
B.Sc Political Science Literature-in-English/Government/Economics
Business Studies/Economics/Government

B.Sc. Computer Science Physics/Chemistry/Biology
B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry
B.Sc. Biochemistry
B.Sc. Mathematics
B.Sc. Microbiology
B.Sc. Physics

CALL THE ADMISSION OFFICER - 0703 345 6475 (Call, SMS or Whatsapp) or visit www.edwinclarkuniversity.org for more details.
Re: Why NUC Should Monitor/Take Charge Of Cut Off Marks Of Universities by Tony142: 10:48am On Sep 29, 2018
genjb:
I would be talking about the process whereby aspirants are being admitted into our Federal and State Universities especially into competitive programs like Medicine, Law, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Nursing etc. Generally, it is required of aspirants to sit for the UTME and Post Utme examinations and those whose marks are up to the universities' released cut off marks are thus admitted.

Unfortunately, it has become a tradition that students who thrive to score high marks are being denied admission every year in most schools simply because of the excessively high cut off marks that is always being released by these schools.

As someone who is very conversant with the system, I would like to tell you that cut off marks for example; Medicine, are intentionally raised to the extent that those that become admitted using the cut off do not exceed 10 out of the expected 100 that are meant to be admitted. The remaining 90 are then admitted through back doors and connections.
That is when someone with 300+ jamb result would not get admitted while someone with 220 will be given admission.

Examples are the cut off marks recently released by Unilag and OAU, 81% and 79% for Medicine respectively. If you ask an insider well, he/she will tell you that those that score up to the mark are not more than 10 or thereabout.
Another example is the first admission list released by LAUTECH where only seven candidates who score up to the cut off mark were admitted for Medicine.

It is a pity that it has been like this for years, where more qualified candidates are denied admission because they are not well connected. This could also affect the quality of graduates that would be produced.

As a 200level Medical student, I would tell you that there are some of my colleagues who if things were done properly should not be in Medicine. Some of them would ask for the chemical formula of e.g; Sodium hydroxide. It is that barbaric.

I want to use this medium to appeal to all stakeholders in the education sector especially the NUC, to please for the sake of the masses who thrive to study hard despite various other challenges, to set out modalities and monitor those institutions on how our students, at least 80% would be admitted through a reasonable Merit cut off (and not the usual 10% or thereabout admitted through Merit caused by excessively high cut off marks) and the remaining 20% through connections since someone has said ruling the tradition out totally is impossible.

This will go far to create opportunity for the brilliant less privilege student, it will also bring about equality since as Nigerian citizens, we all own the facilities used in the training of our students.

i can 100% relate to this, with my 290 i am still doing fasting and prayer here, while one idiot with 214 has been admited on merit list

boss which school are u?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Awareness On Compulsory Novels For Utme Exams / Delta State JSSCE (JUNIOR WAEC) Result To Be Released Online / Female Student 'CAUGHT DOING IT' With Lecturer In His Office To Pass

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.