Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power (2915 Views)

How Nigeria Used The 13th Law Of Power On The Russians / Osun Rerun: Fayemi Leads APC Chieftains To Omisore’s Residence. Photo / Omisore Agrees To Support PDP In Osun Rerun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by mapet: 6:44pm On Sep 27, 2018
Folks!

I want to analyse and submit my take on a perspective (Omisore-as-the-courted-bride). Let me first refer us to the Law 13 of 48 Laws of Power - Law 13: When Asking For Help Appeal To Peoples Self-Interest, Never To Their Mercy Or Gratitude. I will also like to lift the analogy that Robert Grene used to back up this law.

Pls stay with me this might take some threads

Judgement
“If you need to turn to an ally for help, do not bother to remind him of your past assistance and good deeds. He will find a way to ignore you. Instead, uncover something in your request, or in your alliance with him, that will benefit him, and emphasize it out of all proportion. He will respond enthusiastically when he sees something to be gained for himself.”

Observance Of The Law
In 433BC, just before the Peloponnesian War, the island of Corcyra (later called Corfu) and the Greek city state of Corinth stood at the brink of conflict.

Both cities were trying to win over the Athenians to their side. Whoever could convince Athens to their side were likely to win the war. The stakes were very high. Ambassadors were sent from both parties to negotiate with Athens.

When the ambassador for Corcyra spoke, he spoke with great honesty and bluntness. He admitted the island never helped Athens before, and in fact even allied itself with Athens enemies. There were no ties of friendship or gratitude between Corcyra and Athens. The ambassador admitted he had come to Athens out of fear and concern for Corcyra’s safety. The only thing he could offer was an alliance of shared mutual interest. Corcyra had a navy only surpassed in size and strength by Athens own. Thus an alliance between the two states would create a formidable force that could intimidate the rival state of Sparta. That was all Corcyra had to offer.

The ambassador for Corinth now spoke. He spoke in a manner that was much more lively and passionate — a sharp contrast to the dry colorless approach of the Corcyran. Corinth and Athens had a strong relationship in the past, he had talked about all Corinth had done for Athens in the past. He asked how it would look to Athens other allies if the city put an agreement with a former enemy over one with a present friend, one that had served Athens interest loyally. He referred to the ‘Hellenic law’, and the need to repay Corinth for all it’s good deeds. He finally continued to list the many services Corinth had performed for Athens and the importance of showing gratitude to one’s friends. In essence the Corinth ambassador was attempting to guilt Athens.

The Athenian’s debated and voted on the issue. They voted overwhelmingly to ally with the first city, Corcyra over Corinth.

So why would they choose a former enemy that had not done anything previously for Athens over an ally state that had?

Interpretation
Corcyra’s ambassador understood the type of people they were talking to. They essentially reverse engineered the individual's character values and philosophies in order to speak ‘Athens language’ — in terms of what’s valuable to them.

They understood the Athenian’s were realists. All the rhetoric and emotional appeals in the world (Corinth) could not match a good pragmatic argument, especially one that added to their power. What the Corinthian ambassador didn’t realise was that his references to Corinth’s previous generosity only irritated the Athenian’s. Subtly asking them to feel guilty and putting them under obligation — people don’t want to feel like their being pressured and controlled by guilt. Additionally, the Athenian's couldn’t care less about past favors and friendly favors. The lesson is, there’s going to be many who don’t care about what you did for them yesterday. They’re going to ask, what are you going to do for them today?

3 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by adesina746: 6:47pm On Sep 27, 2018
grin
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Olohunjedalo(m): 6:52pm On Sep 27, 2018
Lol
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Blue3k(m): 6:53pm On Sep 27, 2018
Excellent lesson. Its only in recent history where guilt tripping has swayed public opinion. Eceryone in power knows this principle instinctively.
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by MrMystrO(m): 7:00pm On Sep 27, 2018
Good one.
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by AJOBI77(m): 7:00pm On Sep 27, 2018
I am interested in omisore's fate after the election

2 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Shukuakukobambi: 7:00pm On Sep 27, 2018
That's why Tinubu is still with Buhari in spite of all

That's why Wike has dumped Markafi who stood firm against the Sheriff that Wike foolishly brought

That's why Ted Cruz is with Trump in spite of all the insults and pain that Trump threw his way in 2016

Self interest is the most successful language in politics. Infact it's the only relevant language

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Environment540: 7:03pm On Sep 27, 2018
T.
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by SadiqBabaSani: 7:04pm On Sep 27, 2018
Continue, anything to take d mind of APC Vs PDP Squabbles wud do, jst a slight distraction
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Jorussia(m): 7:04pm On Sep 27, 2018
.Adams oshiomhole is a wonderful negotiator.Despite the fact that I don't like oshiomhole for being a garrulous,his negotiating prowess can't be matched by most top politicians in this country.As an APC member,i am happy that this osun election has taught my party many lessons.I want the national leadership of APC to as a matter of urgency, engage APC governors that are owing workers salaries.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by mapet: 7:06pm On Sep 27, 2018
Let me relate the current issue to the above..........

1. PDP badly read the situation, hence they did not understand their initial leverage, neither did they take advantage of it. First off, the voting pattern against APC is really a protest vote against Aregbesola's salary backlog and not the credibility of PDP.
2. PDP did not also assess and see an impending danger as APC narrowed the gap to within the bracket of the cancelled votes, hence forcing a rerun.
3. When it came to rerun, it became obvious that the polling units in Ife will become the deciding factor, consequently Omisore was going to determine the next Governor of Osun state within 4 days.
4. PDP can be likened to the Corinthians described above. I mean, how can PDP rely solely on politically inconsequential premise that Omisore is "brothers" with FFK simply because they came from Ife? Even on social media, Saraki's PA (Bankole Omisore) boasted to the whole world that Omisore is his uncle......What has that got to do with Omisore's political future which at that instant was either going to die permanently or something desperate was done.
4. APC can be likened to the Cocyrans; very pragmatic, understood their situation and how effective to remedy it.
5. Why did Omisore do with APC and what are the implication? Omisore followed APC which appealed to his self interest. Some of us who followed politics very well will note that Omisore actually belonged to the progressive stock. He was the one that suggested the name Alliance for Democracy (AD) as the party name and paid the required N5m (if my memory serves me right) to bail out the new party so they could meet the dead-line of registration in 1998. He was in prime position to be the governorship candidate in the 1999 election that produced Chief Bisi Akande. Late Bola Ige had to appeal to Omisore to let Bisi Akande be governor and he the deputy.......probably with the understanding that he will take over after...........

Omisore has Ife as his grassroot base. Till date no one has ever beaten him in Ife. In fact he beats opponents mercillessly in Ife. Omisore also sells a picture to Osun people as someone that understands them. Omisore never wanted to rock the boat on the "economic set up" of Osun state. In other words, he sees Osun as a perpertually Civil-Servant's state. In other words virtually all families have or must have someone in the civil service (teachers, local govt workers or state govt officers). The governor should not bother with stuff regarding commerce, just make sure salaries are paid

11 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Shukuakukobambi: 7:08pm On Sep 27, 2018
mapet:

1. PDP badly read the situation, hence they did not understand their initial leverage, neither did they take advantage of it. First off, the voting pattern against APC is really a protest vote against Aregbesola's salary backlog and not the credibility of PDP.
2. PDP did not also assess and see an impending danger as APC narrowed the gap to within the bracket of the cancelled votes, hence forcing a rerun.
3. When it came to rerun, it became obvious that the polling units in Ife will become the deciding factor, consequently Omisore was going to determine the next Governor of Osun state within 4 days.
4. PDP can be likened to the Corinthians described above. I mean, how can PDP rely solely on politically inconsequential premise that Omisore is "brothers" with FFK simply because they came from Ife? Even on social media, Saraki's PA (Bankole Omisore) boasted to the whole world that Omisore is his uncle......What has that got to do with Omisore's political future which at that instant was either going to die permanently or something desperate was done.
4. APC can be likened to the Cocyrans; very pragmatic, understood their situation and how effective to remedy it.
5. Why did Omisore do with APC and what are the implication? Omisore followed APC which appealed to his self interest. Some of us who followed politics very well will note that Omisore actually belonged to the progressive stock. He was the one that suggested the name Alliance for Democracy (AD) as the party name and paid the required N5m (if my memory serves me right) to bail out the new party so they could meet the dead-line of registration in 1998. He was in prime position to be the governorship candidate in the 1999 election that produced Chief Bisi Akande. Late Bola Ige had to appeal to Omisore to let Bisi Akande be governor and he the deputy.......probably with the understanding that he will take over after...........

Omisore has Ife as his grassroot base. Till date no one has ever beaten him in Ife. In fact he beats opponents mercillessly in Ife. Omisore also sells a picture to Osun people as someone that understands them. Omisore never wanted to rock the boat on the "economic set up" of Osun state. In other words, he sees Osun as a perpertually Civil-Servant's state. In other words virtually all families have or must have someone in the civil service (teachers, local govt workers or state govt officers). The governor should not bother with stuff regarding commerce, just make sure salaries are paid

Hmmmmm......
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by mapet: 7:16pm On Sep 27, 2018
6. Omisore missed an opportunity to be in fore-front as a notable leader in Osun. His sorjourn to PDP was less than fruitful. So he needed to get himself back in the frame of things. His objective might have been to be the Governor of Osun state.
7. Both PDP and APC underestimated Omisore's relevance in approaching this election. I did as well. I mean he took almost 20% of the votes cast. Negotiations with Omisore either ways should have been before election and not after (I will explain this later)
8. So election came and a rerun was imminent. Simple arithmetic showed that of the voles left, Ife votes was substantial. In fact Ife votes was enough to wipe out the 350 PDP margin.
9. PDP celebrated when victory was not even in sight. Ask yourself, what's the association between Omisore and Adeleke? On many platforms they are not at par - Political sagacity, intellectually, power-base etc.
10. APC left it late and knew the graver implication of loosing Osun. Winning Osun for South-West APC is a consolidation of its power base and a basis to negotiate on a national level for the 2019 with North-APC. In fact I hazard a guess that Aregbesola himself already has his power-base within APC diluted if that was the sacrifice necessary for the greater good.

5 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by mapet: 7:27pm On Sep 27, 2018
So let's look at WIIFM for Omisore.

a. He has opportunity to begin to embed his political structure back into Osun. I heard he was promised 3-4 Commissioner slots among others
b. He could be offered a Senatorial slot
c. He gets to Senate and gets a juicy appointment
d. One of the conditions agreed on what something that speaks to "Local Content" in contracts in Osun. Let me explain this

I remember one time I went home. I was in discussion with my niece's husband, who is an engineer and a staff of the local govt. He complained that most of the contract are awarded to "Lagos-Based" Osun indigene at the detriment of the "Local-Osun" indegene. I realised that apart from the hidden issue of seeming intimidation of we Lagosians, it was insult upon injury that "Lagos-based-Osun" indegene comes to Osun to get contract.

So when I see "local content" in the agreement, Omisore has killed 2 birds with one stone. His companies were practically "black-listed" by Chief Bisi Akande as governor when he discovered Omisore's companies were over-inflating contracts. I remember a road project that was awarded to Nigerian Army Engineering Limited. Omisore's company bidded more than 3x.

With this negotiation, Omisore's companies are back as contractor(s) to Osun state government. Also Local-Osun-based contractors are going to now be awarded contracts.

4 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by yipata: 7:31pm On Sep 27, 2018
Dope.... And its not a sin to be smart. See how election was managed without brutality and oppression. APC NO HOLY BUT THIS WAS BATTLE WELL PREPARED FOR AND WELL FOUGHT.

5 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by onatisi(m): 7:45pm On Sep 27, 2018
AJOBI77:
Baba nothing will happen. It is obvious he gave both parties the option of tabling their offers and definitely PDP offer didn't match up to APC own. There is nothing personal in this just simple political business, ademola adeleke too would have done the same thing. This has got nothing to do with the the masses welfare or good programme. The people have already collected their own share of democratic dividend when they collected 10k to vote . Now the politicians want to collect theirs

5 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by mapet: 7:54pm On Sep 27, 2018
onatisi:

AJOBI77: :
Baba nothing will happen. It is obvious he gave both parties the option of tabling their offers and definitely PDP offer didn't match up to APC own. There is nothing personal in this just simple political business, ademola adeleke too would have done the same thing. This has got nothing to do with the the masses welfare or good programme. The people have already collected their own share of democratic dividend when they collected 10k to vote . Now the politicians want to collect theirs

1. Omisore will get a Federal appointment post 2019 or a Senatorial nomination.
2. Omisore's folks will get appointment in the new Osun govt.
3. Omisore's power and influence will increase a little.

2 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by mapet: 7:54pm On Sep 27, 2018
Finally!!!

I am happy with this victory

1. I am APC at heart.
2. I cannot imagine Adeleke as governor of Osun State. The damage will be too much.......
3. Osun indeed underwent rapid transformation with Aregbesola (despite his short comings).....and we cannot afford that to stop.

I will do a thread on Aregbesola soon.

Cheers.

6 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by CilicMarin: 8:01pm On Sep 27, 2018
Following.
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Shukuakukobambi: 8:03pm On Sep 27, 2018
mapet:
Finally!!!

1. I am APC at heart.
2. I cannot imagine Adeleke as governor of Osun State. The damage will be too much.......
3. Osun indeed underwent rapid transformation with Aregbesola (despite his short comings).....and we cannot afford that to stop.

Cheers.

I must confess I had conceded the election already and was preparing to accept that senator Ajobiewe will be our new gomina. I even opened a thread for it

https://www.nairaland.com/4750227/thoughts-osun-election

Didn't know Omisore would prove so decisive

2 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by EternalTruths: 8:03pm On Sep 27, 2018
mapet:
Folks!

I want to analyse and submit my take on a perspective (Omisore-as-the-courted-bride). Let me first refer us to the Law 13 of 48 Laws of Power - Law 13: When Asking For Help Appeal To Peoples Self-Interest, Never To Their Mercy Or Gratitude. I will also like to lift the analogy that Robert Grene used to back up this law.

Pls stay with me this might take some threads

Mapet, will you ever abandoned a friend for self interest.?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Shukuakukobambi: 8:09pm On Sep 27, 2018
EternalTruths:

That's how successful politicians eat. All politicians all over the world. I know you worship Trump and he's the best at it.

Infact one of Hillary's main albatross is her loyalty to those whose scandals hurt her e.g Bill, Human Abedin etc

2 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by mapet: 8:13pm On Sep 27, 2018
EternalTruths:

Let me answer you with a current issue I am walking away from on a business transaction.

I am currently doing so on a friend whom I came to a conclusion that even though he's still a friend, but currently a waste of my precious time.

2 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Akinya17: 8:17pm On Sep 27, 2018
Op, your analysis is on point.
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Intrepid01(m): 8:34pm On Sep 27, 2018
mapet:

With the way you've described Omisore a novice wouldn't believe it was the same Omisore that was disgraced and defeated by Bayo Omoworare.....pls stop this hype of a man whose political career ended in 2001. How many times has he lost re-election to thr Senate? Pls remind me.

1 Like

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by mapet: 8:48pm On Sep 27, 2018
Intrepid01:

With the way you've described Omisore a novice wouldn't believe it was the same Omisore that was disgraced and defeated by Bayo Omoworare.....pls stop this hype of a man whose political career ended in 2001. How many times has he lost re-election to thr Senate? Pls remind me.

Is it your reading glasses you need to adjust? Did you not see my submission below?

I am not even an Omisore fan, neither do I welcome his politics.....but facts cannot be denied. So what is hype here? Even my write-up aluded to his political downward-slide when he was ousted from AD and as at 4 days ago, he was about to go into oblivion

6. Omisore missed an opportunity to be in fore-front as a notable leader in Osun. His sorjourn to PDP was less than fruitful. ....

2 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by AZeD1(m): 8:50pm On Sep 27, 2018
mapet:
Finally!!!

1. I am APC at heart.

Cheers.
Everything you said was making sense until you got to the bold.

If Osun was a company, it would either be filing for bankruptcy, raised funds by selling shares(and down sizing) or sold at a discounted price. Aregbesola messed up Osun and it would take decades to rectify his mess.

1 Like

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Alaadin(m): 9:02pm On Sep 27, 2018
Aptly compared
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by mapet: 9:03pm On Sep 27, 2018
AZeD1:

Everything you said was making sense until you got to the bold.

If Osun was a company, it would either be filing for bankruptcy, raised funds by selling shares(and down sizing) or sold at a discounted price. Aregbesola messed up Osun and it would take decades to rectify his mess.

OK, so you filtered it with "Sense"? Bros, grin quit your emotional rants... Bankruptcy ko, Pasuma ni grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by AZeD1(m): 9:23pm On Sep 27, 2018
mapet:

OK, so you filtered it with "Sense"? Bros, grin quit your emotional rants... Bankruptcy ko, Pasuma ni grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Osun had a total revenue of N16.7 billion for last year while its recurrent expenditure was budgeted to N75.8 billion. In other words, if Osun slashes its work force by 75%, its revenue still can't cover its recurrent expenditure.

You can write all you want about Osun and Aregbesola but you can't dispute the numbers.

We haven't even talked about capital expenditure yet oh.

Osun has a domestic debt profile of N138.2 billion. If the new governor decides to pay off the domestic debt, using 2017's revenues figure, it would take 8 years to clear off.

If you have different numbers, bring them out. Also point out how any of this makes Aregbesola a decent manager.

3 Likes

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by Nuzo1(m): 10:11pm On Sep 27, 2018
The most heartless politician on earth cannot survive 6 months in politics practising all the 48 laws of power.

Trimming it down, one has to be a big evil to effectively practice a quarter of the laws of 48 laws of power.

So, in other words, if one must succeed, you must not always follow those laws verbatim or think that people who succeeded followed it. Sometimes, things just happen, and when they do, people try to find a principle and attach to it.

That being said, what happened in osun in the past 4 days was a case of the highest bidder. As simple as that. It has little or nothing to do with the 13th law as both PDP and APC both politely appealed to the concerned people's interest. One must give way.

There was no way PDP's unsure/future offers were going to outmatch APC's now now offers. In addition, omisore knew APC was still going to win at all cost. So, why not go for for the money and take the glory at the same time. And it will take a principled non Nigerian politician to reject such offers.

Finally, I will encourage you to celebrate this win because you believe it's best for Osun people, and not because a party or individual you love/hate used a deceptive principle to win election or gain relevance.

Please note that in developed/enlightened environments; it's hard to effectively practice most of those laws in 48 laws of power. All the examples of Robert Greene's book were in the 16/17th century when the people were almost thinking like monkeys.

1 Like

Re: Osun Rerun & The 13th Law Of Power by EternalTruths: 6:26am On Sep 29, 2018
This Was My Question Below

EternalTruths :

This Was Your Reply Below

mapet:

Let me answer you with a current issue I am walking away from on a business transaction.

I am currently doing so on a friend whom I came to a conclusion that even though he's still a friend, but currently a waste of my precious time.

Mapet, the fastest route to failure, is to betray a good relationship for interest.

Interest might die but a good relationship will always be there.

Think not of today but tomorrow.

A wise man will always place friendship above interest.

Watch how we now benefit from remaining loyal to SS despite fully knowing that Jonathan might lose.

Today, the animosity between us is gone forever.

An animosity caused by Zik who placed interest above friendship.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Why Buhari Will Defeat Atiku On Saturday / Enugu State Airport: More Pictures Emerges- PICTURES / Benue People Knock Ortom Over Multi-Billion Palace For Tor Tiv (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.