Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,079 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (33598 Views)

ASUU Rejects Curriculum Designed By NUC / ASUU Rejects 35% Salary Increase For Professors; Wants 100% / ASUU Rejects Proposed Hiking Of University Fees to about N500,000k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Diamond23(f): 11:44am On Sep 30, 2018
Legalized way to exploit nd extort d masses.....May Amadioha strike who ever dat promulgated dat proposal.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 30, 2018
theoldpretender:

So we should not fund education because corruption.

Thanks, but that is a recipie for disaster.

We have archaic half baked system because funds are not there to improve things and make them better.

Let us stop being so cynical okay?

You miss understood me. I am a good fan of heavy funding and a better fan of good atmosphere of proper fund utilisation. My take is that, they should try and create a good atmosphere of effective funds utilization before advocating for higher fees if not, the fees are just for embezzlement and education unchanged.

Again, what better education plan have they drawn to meet the nation's numerous need, ready to be implemented and was thwarted by funds apart from personal, private groups opinion?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 11:56am On Sep 30, 2018
Wizaustin54:

noted..

are you saying Nigeria does not have internally generated revenue or even taxes to fund education and other projects...

money borrowed from IMF has nothing to do with funding education..... besides education is supposed to be Free ...

when we are being governed by a government as APC....there bound to be failure in every sector including education funding ...

1.We rely on oil. And we need to have oil at $140 per barrel before we can be comfortable

2.Education is free at a price. In Denmark and Germany, education is free.... at the cost of half your salary in taxes.

3.APC has failed, but let's be frank. If GEJ, who I am sure you regard as good, could not afford to pay 3trillion in extra funding for universities, when oil was above $100 per barrel, how much more this govt at $80 per barrel.

4.Technical education is cheaper than university education. Govt should focus on that and let universities increase fees.

No such thing as free lunch. We are a poor country, and our corrupt leaders make it worse.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 30, 2018
Who are those idiots that said slavery was abolished? I t has just been repackaged and reloaded, welcome to the new govt, full privileges, zero responsibility and accountability.

IThe message is clear, NO FUTURE FOR OUR CHILDREN
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Martinez19(m): 12:13pm On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:

Since most of us spend even more than this to study abroad, why can't we do it here and lift the face this our dead educational system.

Anyway govt can review it down for 250k for arts and 350k for sciences.
Paying that much won't lift the dead educational system. The educational system didn't deteriorate because people weren't paying enough. It's one thing to pay 500k and it's another thing for the school to use the money as needed instead of embezzling it. The educational system can be revived without asking people to pay that much --- transparency and moral uprightness is needed in the government. You sound like someone who is either out of touch with the reality of the hardship of an average Nigerian or you don't just think straight.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Queenzzy: 12:38pm On Sep 30, 2018
am not understanding
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by kengodson: 12:43pm On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:
I think ASUU is wrong

Am with govt in this.

sorry, is like your in delusional bubble that you feel that parents who labor day and night, should pay a whooping 500K for tuition fee.....i don't know how much you earn and i don't care, but i hate it when someone wakes up in his bedroom and starts spitting rubbish.
how much does an average civil servant earn a month?
how much do you think they spend on a monthly bases beside school fees?

my brother mind yourself!!!!!
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Kobomax(m): 1:05pm On Sep 30, 2018
Are they trying to put a halt to western education in this country or what? A country where they parents earn an everage of 30k monthly? But when you have a president who only has a WAEC (some say its fake) at the helm of affairs and no one is even talking about it, what do you expect.

"The dwindling forest of trees keep voting the axe because it's handle is made of wood and they think it is one of them".

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Queenzzy: 1:06pm On Sep 30, 2018
Mklanceee:
they should leave the school fees at the present amount but they should bring the education bank where students can borrow 1m every session. I will go back to school this time to study medicine. 7yrs=7million plus the many year I will spend on doing carryover till the school says they don't need me
lol
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 1:09pm On Sep 30, 2018
kengodson:

sorry, is like your in delusional bubble that you feel that parents who labor day and night, should pay a whooping 500K for tuition fee.....i don't know how much you earn and i don't care, but i hate it when someone wakes up in his bedroom and starts spitting rubbish.
how much does an average civil servant earn a month?
how much do you think they spend on a monthly bases beside school fees?

my brother mind yourself!!!!!

When the poor comments u will know.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by janejive(f): 1:09pm On Sep 30, 2018
500k for school fees? Its high for average. Nigerians.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 1:10pm On Sep 30, 2018
Martinez19:
[s]Paying that much won't lift the dead educational system. The educational system didn't deteriorate because people weren't paying enough. It's one thing to pay 500k and it's another thing for the school to use the money as needed instead of embezzling it. The educational system can be revived without asking people to pay that much --- transparency and moral uprightness is needed in the government. You sound like someone who is either out of touch with the reality of the hardship of an average Nigerian or you don't just think straight[/s].
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Queenzzy: 1:10pm On Sep 30, 2018
GrammarNazi1:
...English...I'm...
Lol. You are funny.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Martinez19(m): 1:44pm On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:
Martinez19:
[s]Paying that much won't lift the dead educational system. The educational system didn't deteriorate because people weren't paying enough. It's one thing to pay 500k and it's another thing for the school to use the money as needed instead of embezzling it. The educational system can be revived without asking people to pay that much --- transparency and moral uprightness is needed in the government. You sound like someone who is either out of touch with the reality of the hardship of an average Nigerian or you don't just think straight[/s].
Of course as I expected.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 1:49pm On Sep 30, 2018
Martinez19:
Of course as I expected.

U not making sense.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Martinez19(m): 1:51pm On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:

U not making sense.
U not making sense.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 30, 2018
Martinez19:
U not making sense.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Martinez19(m): 1:53pm On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:
U not making sense
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by kengodson: 2:12pm On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:

When the poor comments u will know.
are you trying to be wise?? by this reply? grin ok you want to tell us your rich and you can afford it right?......ok na, clap for yourself
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Mitchsin(f): 2:20pm On Sep 30, 2018
Johnnyessence:
ASUU rejects N500k school fee proposal for public universities

Akinbayo Wahab | 10:33 | 29.09.2018

The FG negotiator has proposed that tuition fee in public universities be increased to N500,000 for undergraduates in sciences.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities has reportedly rejected the proposed increment of school fees in Public universities by Dr Wale Babalakin, the negotiator between ASUU and Federal Government.

Babalakin reportedly proposed that public universities tuition fee be increased to N350,000 for undergraduate students of Arts and Humanities and 500,000 for those in Sciences.

Addressing Journalists in Jos, Prof. Lawan Abubakar, the Bauchi Zonal Coordinator said the union has rejected the proposal by the Federal Government negotiator to increase tuition fee.

Abubakar said, “One of the major issues our union wishes to bring to public domain is the wild idea of sharing the cost of education between the government and parents proposed by Dr Wale Babalakin. This idea of sharing the cost of education since government alone cannot fund education, and that parents need to pay for it too.
“He proposed a minimum of N350, 000 as tuition fee for undergraduate students of Arts and Humanities, and N500,000, for those in Sciences.

“Our union rejected the proposal based on the fact that the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria clearly states that funding education is the sole responsibility of Governments at various levels and not parents”.
ASUU also rejects Education Bank for Nigerian students

The union also reportedly rejected the idea of Education Bank for undergraduates. The negotiating team were said to have also proposed a loan of N1 million for undergraduates, every session to pay the tuition fee and sustain themselves.

Abubakar said, '' our union also rejected the idea of Education Bank, because for one, not all the students will have access to loan, and for those who will access the loan, it is the same parents who served as sureties and subsequently pay back the loan, considering the very high rate of unemployment in the country.

“Supposing that the student is able to secure a job after graduation, he cannot start a life while paying back a loan of 4 to 6 million Naira, as the case may be.
“In this kind of situation, the graduate would be subjected to, when will he finish paying the loan and establish himself?

“Frustration will gradually set in and make them live a life of misery”

https://www.pulse.ng/communities/student/ASUU-rejects-n500k-school-fee-proposal-for-public-universities-id8917028.html

Holy ghost fire for them o.. Haba,kilode.. Isn't it now better to go to private?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Mitchsin(f): 2:20pm On Sep 30, 2018
inoki247:
500k ko. when my kid finish secondary school I will take him or her to Learn a skill acquisition like Tailor, Mechanic, Barber etc. and be giving him or her 500k every year for 4 years with that my kid will be having a 5star workshop instead of wasting my money on the school dat my kid will finish and can't invent ordinary toothpick or Pencil

Lol.. Abi o
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Mitchsin(f): 2:23pm On Sep 30, 2018
LUGBE:
How much is minimum wage, useless govt
I tire o
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by CodeTemplar: 2:44pm On Sep 30, 2018
theoldpretender:

1.We rely on oil. And we need to have oil at $140 per barrel before we can be comfortable

2.Education is free at a price. In Denmark and Germany, education is free.... at the cost of half your salary in taxes.

3.APC has failed, but let's be frank. If GEJ, who I am sure you regard as good, could not afford to pay 3trillion in extra funding for universities, when oil was above $100 per barrel, how much more this govt at $80 per barrel.

4.Technical education is cheaper than university education. Govt should focus on that and let universities increase fees.

No such thing as free lunch. We are a poor country, and our corrupt leaders make it worse.
Please correct that number 4.
Technical education requires constant use of materials and expensive equipment. It is art and business related education that are cheap.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by CodeTemplar: 2:49pm On Sep 30, 2018
janejive:
500k for school fees, how much will the government pay them when they come out? 30k? They can't even pay 56k minimum wage. Nicumpu

Under normal circumstances govt isn't suppose to create jobs but create enabling environment for job creators. As it stands govt pays over 350k per student in fed unis and these student graduate to do 30k and 50k jobs so they might as well pay themselves through school through loans.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Fitbillionairep: 3:23pm On Sep 30, 2018
why cant all those ayes, bagas, ban etc look for that man and kill him?
well school is overated. e no ep anybody
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Olamidesure: 3:56pm On Sep 30, 2018
Mad people shey unna don't eat belleful Na make poor man they suffer God no go accept unna evil @.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Princycute: 4:30pm On Sep 30, 2018
500k ke for where ,even the present school fees we are paying self some of our parents are still struggling to pay. Oga o Nigeria sha
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by maasoap(m): 5:21pm On Sep 30, 2018
jmaine:

Babalakin was joking? Abeg shut up if you don't have what to say.
Mr Babalakin is at the root cause of the current ASUU impending strike cos he has consistently showed he has the backing of the FG to act God without sense.

Didn't you read that for the past 17 months, he has tenaciously held on to this unimplemetable deceit cos the ultimate end game is to sell off the universities to private interest.

You're a morron and too dull for my liking. If I said that he was joking, did that mean I was telling you that he was jesting with you? No. I meant that his proposal was DOA. Now, get the fvck out, retard!
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by jmaine: 5:39pm On Sep 30, 2018
maasoap:

You're a morron and too dull for my liking. If I said that he was joking, did that mean I was telling you that he was jesting with you? No. I meant that his proposal was DOA. Now, get the fvck out, retard!

You unfortunate imbec1le. Appears you have forgotten your place on this streets. The days of irreparable dunce like you running amok without control is over.

You will be seeing more of me here so you better behave.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by maasoap(m): 5:41pm On Sep 30, 2018
jmaine:

You unfortunate imbec1le. Appears you have forgotten your place on this streets. The days of irreparable dunce like you running amok without control is over.

You will be seeing more of me here so you better behave.

Go and have sense and wisdom to understand people's submissions first, then come back.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Funkybabee(f): 5:52pm On Sep 30, 2018
500k ke, it's a lie because people will prefer going to neighbouring country or abroad than wasting such amount here without no gaurantee for good work after graduation abi if I borrow 3m now before I graduated with the 30k salary going rampant for graduates nowadays, when did u expect me to be free from such debt... Ewoooooo God help us from this powerful oppressor in Nigeria oooo
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Comradesegun01: 6:45pm On Sep 30, 2018
The mission is simple jxt to take nigeria backward chikena

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

UNICAL's VC Reacts To Death Of Her Student Denied Medical Care Over N200 (Pix) / Can I Still Continue With This CGP Or Do I Give Up On Education? / Student Mocks ASUU, Signs Out With Shirt Marked "ASUU LOL"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.