Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,726 members, 7,831,303 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (33589 Views)

ASUU Rejects Curriculum Designed By NUC / ASUU Rejects 35% Salary Increase For Professors; Wants 100% / ASUU Rejects Proposed Hiking Of University Fees to about N500,000k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by BillgatesMaigad(m): 9:38am On Sep 30, 2018
Misplaced priority. Firstly, let the federal government reduce the cost of governance. I propose that the federal government should stabilize the economy, reduce the salaries of senators and members house of representatives and ministers. State governors too should do the needful by making a sharp reduction of assembly members and commissioners salaries to fund education, after all the constitution stipulates that it is governments responsible to fund education.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Sike(m): 9:49am On Sep 30, 2018
500k or 50k?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Uji11111996(m): 9:49am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:
I think ASUU is wrong

Am with govt in this.
Why?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by sexyanyabubakar(f): 9:53am On Sep 30, 2018
theoldpretender:

1.The power problem is beyond politics...so I fail to see the relevance of your response....especially as I don't support APC bruv.

2.The DISCOS and GENCOS were a GEJ innovation (and one which I supported by the way).

3.The law enabling the establishment of DISCOS and GENCOS also empowered government to set prices for power....which means the DISCOS and GENCOS cannot earn enough money to make the needed improvements.

4.Fashola spoke with a lack of knowledge about the power sector.

5.Besides...experts say we need $900BN over the next 30 years to fix power .

6.We need to start improving funding by increasing the amount we spend on power....and that means HIGHER POWER BILLS.

7.We pay less for power than Liberia, Sierra leone, Ghana, Cameroon, etc....even Malawi...and we expect 24/7 light?

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 10:02am On Sep 30, 2018
sexyanyabubakar:

Hmmm

Good morning to you too.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by 9gerian: 10:09am On Sep 30, 2018
Aah! shocked

Maybe we should forget the elections and channel the budgeted funds to education!!!

Johnnyessence:
ASUU rejects N500k school fee proposal for public universities

Akinbayo Wahab | 10:33 | 29.09.2018

The FG negotiator has proposed that tuition fee in public universities be increased to N500,000 for undergraduates in sciences.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities has reportedly rejected the proposed increment of school fees in Public universities by Dr Wale Babalakin, the negotiator between ASUU and Federal Government.

Babalakin reportedly proposed that public universities tuition fee be increased to N350,000 for undergraduate students of Arts and Humanities and 500,000 for those in Sciences.

Addressing Journalists in Jos, Prof. Lawan Abubakar, the Bauchi Zonal Coordinator said the union has rejected the proposal by the Federal Government negotiator to increase tuition fee.

Abubakar said, “One of the major issues our union wishes to bring to public domain is the wild idea of sharing the cost of education between the government and parents proposed by Dr Wale Babalakin. This idea of sharing the cost of education since government alone cannot fund education, and that parents need to pay for it too.
“He proposed a minimum of N350, 000 as tuition fee for undergraduate students of Arts and Humanities, and N500,000, for those in Sciences.

“Our union rejected the proposal based on the fact that the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria clearly states that funding education is the sole responsibility of Governments at various levels and not parents”.
ASUU also rejects Education Bank for Nigerian students

The union also reportedly rejected the idea of Education Bank for undergraduates. The negotiating team were said to have also proposed a loan of N1 million for undergraduates, every session to pay the tuition fee and sustain themselves.

Abubakar said, '' our union also rejected the idea of Education Bank, because for one, not all the students will have access to loan, and for those who will access the loan, it is the same parents who served as sureties and subsequently pay back the loan, considering the very high rate of unemployment in the country.

“Supposing that the student is able to secure a job after graduation, he cannot start a life while paying back a loan of 4 to 6 million Naira, as the case may be.
“In this kind of situation, the graduate would be subjected to, when will he finish paying the loan and establish himself?

“Frustration will gradually set in and make them live a life of misery”

https://www.pulse.ng/communities/student/ASUU-rejects-n500k-school-fee-proposal-for-public-universities-id8917028.html
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nedukkc: 10:14am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:

60k is ur monthly salary I guess?

For a year is 720k
he won’t feed
He won’t pay for house rents
Medical bills
Transportation

He will just go and pay the 500k school fees and tell the child bye bye without feeding and pocket money.

Are you that Evil??
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 30, 2018
it is well oh.. 40k for school fees is difficult to afford not to talk of 500k, when minimum wage is just 18k. let me hold my peace, for the lord shall fight for us.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by etiosapeacepe(m): 10:20am On Sep 30, 2018
Manueleee:
this govt is curse. D minimum wages, the federal govt could nt increase now d want uni to also increase fees? Dis are people that went to school free. O God, may death befal whoever that moved that motion. And whoever dat agreed to it, may him/her be d next.
.. Amin
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 30, 2018
etiosapeacepe:
.. Amin
and amen. Honestly, am rili pain. How many parents can afford dat amount? About 30% Nigeria student are d one sponsoring themselves in school.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 30, 2018
If you like o, increase the fees to 2million naira a semester the education system will still not improve because, presence of 1. Corruption, 2. Poor and archaic curriculum. 3. Semi-skill lecturers. 4. Poor population control and the large fallow labour force. Because, increament in education budget will not 1. drive away corruption rather, it will leads to more funds embezzlement as far nigeria is concern. 2. It will not check half baked lecturers due to the effect of godfatherism and connection cause, godfatherism only demands loyalty and not ability. 3. It will not make viable the old education system as what nigeria needs right now is a new system, structure and curriculum. 4. Increase in education budget will not create enabling environment for the large cache of graduates in the country to thrieve as it is the government thing to do rather, it will only create an archive of skilled graduates. So, what is the esence of hardly used skill. Moreover, how much has the huge revenue generated in the country help grow and develope our economy so far? My taughts.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by writeprof(m): 10:34am On Sep 30, 2018
One of their policies of Pauperisation of the masses.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by 9gerian: 10:37am On Sep 30, 2018
So be it; let’s spend half our budgets on education. At least we would have saved the next generation from degradation.

After all, what have we been spending on; if not greedy politicians, very outrageous elections and the lifestyles of hangers on around the corridors of government.

Small wonder election will get all its budget met plus contingency; but education will not even get a decent fraction of what is required.

I’m so angry right now!!! What nonsense!!! This policy should have been included in their manifesto during the 2015 elections so that people can know their wonderful plans...

Education is an investment, and not an expense. It requires heavy investments to secure the future of a nation!!!

theoldpretender:
I'm afraid but the government is right.

Here are some cold hard facts.

1.As at 2009, we need 3trillion naira to fund education in universities.

2.As at 2013,the previous government told ASUU that 3trillion was not possible.

3.Our budget for this year is 8trillion.

4.We need to either find a magic way to earn more money, or we pay high fees.

5.Nigeria spends 600000 per student per year in a govt university (2013).

6.APC has failed, but the cold reality is that either we increase fees, or we take loans or we spend half our budget on just the universities.

Sorry, but fact is fact.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Louteelaw84: 10:42am On Sep 30, 2018
I keep saying this, the federal government is looking for ways to liberate themselves of their responsibilities and make available, for themselves the wealth of this country, our leaders haven't the slightest desire to build this nation for generations to come, it's sad, you set up a programme to feed the kids in primary schools, a programme for the poor ....then the next thing is to eradicate the average citizen by demoting them to being poor?? This is madness and please no one shld say ThisIsNigeria
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by amparas(m): 10:48am On Sep 30, 2018
Nigerian education is a cruel joke that benefits only the perpetrators of it.
All the thousands of graduates wey commot from these institutions weti dem learn abeg angry
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by olexjay(m): 10:57am On Sep 30, 2018
I'm not understanding this country anymore, why is Nigeria government trying to make life unbearable for the masses for goodness sake, these set of useless people enjoy free education and that's when you've automatic job awaiting you after graduation not to talk of this generation where parent will struggle to send their child to school and after graduation they will still be the one financing the child due to lack of job opportunities.

Nigeria need God's intervention seriously
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by willyjacs(m): 10:58am On Sep 30, 2018
This news na lie
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by NothingDoMe: 11:00am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:

Since most of us spend even more than this to study abroad, why can't we do it here and lift the face this our dead educational system.

Anyway govt can review it down for 250k for arts and 350k for sciences.
Don't be heartless. How can you say most spend that amount to study abroad? That's simply incorrect.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 11:04am On Sep 30, 2018
9gerian:
So be it; let’s spend half our budgets on education. At least we would have saved the next generation from degradation.

After all, what have we been spending on; if not greedy politicians, very outrageous elections and the lifestyles of hangers on around the corridors of government.

Small wonder election will get all its budget met plus contingency; but education will not even get a decent fraction of what is required.

I’m so angry right now!!! What nonsense!!! This policy should have been included in their manifesto during the 2015 elections so that people can know their wonderful plans...

Education is an investment, and not an expense. It requires heavy investments to secure the future of a nation!!!

1.Note that I mean we spend half on universities. Primary and secondary school don't come into it. As well aspoly, coe and monotechnics.

2.That means you may have to pay higher for other services if we are to put half our budget on universities.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 11:07am On Sep 30, 2018
kingy1:
If you like o, increase the fees to 2million naira a semester the education system will still not improve because, presence of 1. Corruption, 2. Poor and archaic curriculum. 3. Semi-skill lecturers. 4. Poor population control and the large fallow labour force. Because, increament in education budget will not 1. drive away corruption rather, it will leads to more funds embezzlement as far nigeria is concern. 2. It will not check half baked lecturers due to the effect of godfatherism and connection cause, godfatherism only demands loyalty and not ability. 3. It will not make viable the old education system as what nigeria needs right now is a new system, structure and curriculum. 4. Increase in education budget will not create enabling environment for the large cache of graduates in the country to thrieve as it is the government thing to do rather, it will only create an archive of skilled graduates. So, what is the esence of hardly used skill. Moreover, how much has the huge revenue generated in the country help grow and develope our economy so far? My taughts.

So we should not fund education because corruption.

Thanks, but that is a recipie for disaster.

We have archaic half baked system because funds are not there to improve things and make them better.

Let us stop being so cynical okay?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by hardicted: 11:12am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:
I think ASUU is wrong

Am with govt in this.

Education in shambles

Clearly you do not have access to quality education because of the already hiked cost. Now imagine getting education for half a million for nigeria workers that earn average 40k wage

It is "I am with government...". Not " am with government.... "

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by onyidon22(m): 11:14am On Sep 30, 2018
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by eROCK247(m): 11:20am On Sep 30, 2018
They should keep pushing and starving the poor. They should keep syphoning funds meant for the public to their personal use, the security situation in this country is deteriorating already o! REVOLUTION anyone?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Awesome350(m): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2018
#Dr Wale Babalakin.#
some one should borrow me death this man has to die...500k. I can't take this any more its time our ancestry gods became involve in this stupid Nigeria sega..nonsense!!
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Martinez19(m): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:
I think ASUU is wrong

Am with govt in this.
grin they are coming for you.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Wizaustin54(m): 11:22am On Sep 30, 2018
theoldpretender:

OK, let us keep on taking loans from IMF or we spend half our budget on just university just to keep fees low.

Has nothing to do with politics. If another party takes over, the same funding problem exists

noted..

are you saying Nigeria does not have internally generated revenue or even taxes to fund education and other projects...

money borrowed from IMF has nothing to do with funding education..... besides education is supposed to be Free ...

when we are being governed by a government as APC....there bound to be failure in every sector including education funding ...
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Atigba: 11:23am On Sep 30, 2018
If school fees is 500 k in Nigeria, gather the money and leave that God forsaken country to study abroad.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Slimzzy00: 11:27am On Sep 30, 2018
so buhari want to ruin my life e no go better 4 u where I go see 350k
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by innowestt13: 11:31am On Sep 30, 2018
inoki247:
500k ko. when my kid finish secondary school I will take him or her to Learn a skill acquisition like Tailor, Mechanic, Barber etc. and be giving him or her 500k every year for 4 years with that my kid will be having a 5star workshop instead of wasting my money on the school dat my kid will finish and can't invent ordinary toothpick or Pencil
True talk
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by innowestt13: 11:34am On Sep 30, 2018
9gerian:

Sa Baba 2019
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by jconsulting(f): 11:36am On Sep 30, 2018
No job for graduate yet intentions to increase fees mounts
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by mutvy: 11:41am On Sep 30, 2018
With what I just saw,even if APC rigs next year election, they can't win.They have declared a war on the masses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Student Mocks ASUU, Signs Out With Shirt Marked "ASUU LOL" / Can I Still Continue With This CGP Or Do I Give Up On Education? / UNICAL's VC Reacts To Death Of Her Student Denied Medical Care Over N200 (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.