Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon (5964 Views)

Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' / Sammie Okposo Apologies To Buhari For Saying He Should Be Flogged For Forgery / Sammie Okposo Slams Buhari, Says He Should Be Flogged For Forgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by b0dnel: 10:59pm On Jul 10, 2010
A GOSPEL star from Africa has appeared in court in Aberdeen charged with making racist comments while on honeymoon in the Granite City.

Sammie Okposo, who has won awards for Best Gospel Act in Africa and Best Gospel Artist of the Year, appeared from custody at Aberdeen Sheriff Court.

The 31-year-old gospel singer was alleged to have acted in a racially aggravated manner at Jimmy Chung’s on Aberdeen’s Beach Esplanade on Wednesday.

Okposo was alleged to have caused alarm or distress to Ronny Shui Hung Yung by shouting, swearing and uttering racial remarks at the Aberdeen restaurant.

The African gospel singer denied the charge.

Defence agent Mike Munro said gospel star Okposo had been in Aberdeen with his new wife on honeymoon at the time of the alleged offence.

Okposo, whose address was listed in court as 50 Tafawa Balewa Street, Lagos, Nigeria, was released on bail.

He is expected to return to Aberdeen Sheriff Court in September.

Read more: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1819617?UserKey#ixzz0tJrWfhly
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by mamagee3(f): 11:01pm On Jul 10, 2010
Wasn't he the dude that got married few weeks ago?

And he's in police net already. . .What a way to celebrate a married life!
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by Okijajuju1(m): 11:07pm On Jul 10, 2010
See how christians dey Bleep-up internationally.

Racist comments!!
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by Beaf: 11:09pm On Jul 10, 2010
While I don't believe this article belongs in this section, there are deep lessons to be learnt from it.

I hope the story isn't true, because that dude can end up with a criminal conviction, just for expressing his foolishness. A big lesson to any Nigerian going abroad (even if to Ghana), people are not even a 10th as aggressive in other countries. So, please, please for heavens sake, mind your attitude. If you are only on a short holiday, you could escape punishment without even realising it; but, if you staying for some time (or visit often), statistics will surely catch up with you one day.

In the UK, where this Okposo dude is, you can get done for verbal assault. Learn from such things please, people; don't be the one caught for something fool!sh; Nigerians are too aggressive and its a shame.
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by b0dnel: 11:19pm On Jul 10, 2010
@beaf, am in aberdeen o, and the story is so true, although we have various version of the story already (as expected), the fact remains that this man was arrested,
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by mamagee3(f): 11:23pm On Jul 10, 2010
Okija_juju:

See how christians dey bleep-up internationally.

Racist comments!!
Real racist comments indeed.
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by tpiah: 11:28pm On Jul 10, 2010
he's a gospel singer?

wasnt he the one who got married on the other thread and i was asking for some bio on the guy for those of us who dont know him, and folks were too snotty to respond?
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by Beaf: 11:34pm On Jul 10, 2010
^
My sister, we only said he was already married. grin
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by mamagee3(f): 11:40pm On Jul 10, 2010
Beaf:

^
My sister, we only said he was already married. grin
grin grin grin
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by debosky(m): 11:46pm On Jul 10, 2010
Who goes for honeymoon in Aberdeen anyways?

The cats at Jimmy Chung probably deserved it - their food is crap and the poor man was angry to have paid so much for such rubbish food. grin

Tried the one on Union Street and regretted doing so.
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by Ibime(m): 2:18am On Jul 11, 2010
debosky:

I was about to say. . . . mind you, Orkney/Shetlands can be really nice in the summer though. . . I guess the current heatwave must have turned the North Sea into a tropical paradise!
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by Odunnu: 3:01am On Jul 11, 2010
Whch Sammie Okposo is 31yrz?dat old man 31?then i'm so very sure i'm 12yrz.
Afta wht dat guy did 2 Kate Henshaw,I knew he was jst a proud baggar!
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by bawomolo(m): 3:49am On Jul 11, 2010
this sammie okposo doesn't seem to have any fans on NL.

why go to Aberdeen anyway?
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by slap1(m): 4:59am On Jul 11, 2010
Maybe he just sang "Nana we yekilemo o" in their usual high pitch and the think he'd cursed.
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by udezue(m): 5:27am On Jul 11, 2010
Ahhh wetin my guy do dem sef? I'm a fan of his jare. Ya jide ka oji. Wadoo!!!
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by bidell1(f): 8:06am On Jul 11, 2010
This guy is in soup!
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by One11: 8:44am On Jul 11, 2010
Wellu Wellu!!!  cool

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K702Gt8_lkE[/flash]
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by DeepSoul(f): 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2010
Sammie Okposo 31?? shocked

Im sure that's his football age

The guy is way over 50years grin
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by deor03(m): 5:37pm On Jul 11, 2010
debosky:

The cats at Jimmy Chung probably deserved it - their food is crap and the poor man was angry to have paid so much for such rubbish food. grin

Tried the one on Union Street and regretted doing so.

Didn't know Okposo was that Cheap, of all the restaurant in and around Union Street Aberdeen; he went for the Cheap Jimmy Chung
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by edujoy(m): 5:53pm On Jul 11, 2010
No comment
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by DisGuy: 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2010
haha he took his new bride to all you can eat for £5
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by ajadudu: 6:37pm On Jul 11, 2010
The guy just exposed himself.   angry You can get away with slapping a police man in Lagos and sleep in your house that night if you have connection, taking big man metality to Aberdeen don backfire.
By the way, a lot of naija pips do not understand some words they use are considered racists on the level of saying ni99er. "Paki", "chinko" etc, I had a friend that was just blowing it at a public place I had to keep reminding him. (Let me see if nairaland even has those words censored like they have sh1t)
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by bidell1(f): 10:49pm On Jul 11, 2010
@Ajadudu, u r very right,
even "oyibo" is a racist comment as well.
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by tpiah: 10:53pm On Jul 11, 2010
some nigerians take a$$ kissing to the extreme undecided

however,

Okposo was alleged to have caused alarm or distress to Ronny Shui Hung Yung by shouting, swearing and uttering racial remarks at the Aberdeen restaurant.

what exactly did he say?
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by Beaf: 11:26pm On Jul 11, 2010
bidell1:

@Ajadudu, u r very right,
even "oyibo" is a racist comment as well.

shocked shocked shocked

Abeg!
Oyibo is not racist! angry
Paki and chinko are derogatory, oyibo is not; so where is the idea that it is racist from?
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by hatch: 12:38am On Jul 12, 2010
Too bad for Sammie,Kate Henshaw's head has caught up with him.
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by hrworld: 11:31am On Jul 12, 2010
So Sammy is 31? God have mercy!
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by bidell1(f): 11:45am On Jul 12, 2010
Beaf:

shocked shocked shocked

Abeg!
Oyibo is not racist! angry
Paki and chinko are derogatory, oyibo is not; so where is the idea that it is racist from?

ehen, okay come aberdeen or anywhere around and call someone "oyibo" derogatorily and u will enter soup.
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by umkowarri: 5:18pm On Jul 14, 2010
why are you all too quick to judge especially when you were not phisically present at the scene i have read all ur comments and i am so shocked cos coincidentally i was also eating at jimmy choung,s restaurant in aberdeen by the water front that day and i watched everything and saw how it all happened from start to finish im not particularly a sammy okposo fan but i always stand for the truth regardless of who is involved and i can boldly say that on this day sammy okposo did not make any racist comment infact he had already gone in to start dishing his food whilst his new bride and 2 other people with them were trying to sort out where they would sit when all of a sudden one of the restaurant,s female attendants walked over to them and started talking to them about the fact the time was already 4.30pm in the evening and that they only had 30mins more to close the lunch session so she needed them to eat quickly and leave before 5pm if not she was going to charge them for lunch and dinner of course they disagreed with the female attendant and an argurment ensued whilts the arguement was going on i saw one other female attendants walk up to sammie where he was dishing his food and pulled his tshirt asking him to drop the plate of food and leave sammie frowned at the fact the female attendant pulled his tshirt put still kept his cool and told her politely that she  wasn,t supposed to touch him let alone pull his tshirt it was at this time sammy heard voices argueing and he turned over to see that it was his wife,their 2 friends and a jimmy choung female restaurant attendant .and then the manager joined in the arguement facing sammy.s wife it was then sammy immediately raced over quickly to protect his new bride cos the manager of jimmy choung was already pointing fingers at sammy,s new bride folks it was a harmless arguement all thru the police was called by the manager they came 30mins later and they would not have met sammy okposo at the scene cos they were already leaving but sammy  insisted that they wait for the police to arrive seeing that the manager wrote down the plate number of sammy,s friend,s car so that the police will not be given a one sided story i thot it was the right thing to do also but when the police arrived they just went into the chinese retaurant spoke to the manager who came out with them and pointd at sammy the aberdeen police without even asking sammy,his wife or his friends any questions forced sammy into the police vehicle and took him away i reside in aberdeen and i will find out about the hearing date of the case in september and i will also look for a way to contact sammy in nigeria so he can give me his lawyer,s details in aberdeen cos im ready to testify and tell the the court what i saw i expected more from the aberdeen police and im extremely disapointed at the way they handled the case so pls guys if you dont have facts about anything dont talk or run anybody down especially when u dont know what happened im very sure the owners of nairaland.com did not set it up for us to run peolpe down and tarnish the rep of other people u might have others isuues and beaf with sammy okpso but this time the dude is completely innocent
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by phetron: 5:31pm On Jul 20, 2010
I live in Aberdeen and I find it most unfortunate that Sammy and his fresh n beautiful bride were victims of an over protective system that cuts both ways – in this case the jagged-sharp-edge. As per the Sammy ‘age-gate’ issue – I dare offer that this may be a genuine error or a demeaning prank either by the media or police or all join together for devil’s printer’.

We should not be too quick to judge this case against our brethren as we are often times too quick to slam ourselves on the slaughter while others are known to rally round themselves; it is left for the courts to make their best and informed effort – video coverage account should ideally be included in the evidence, as most premises are constantly monitored in any case, and the eye-witness account of such as have been relayed here by ‘umkowarri’ can be corroborated. Sammy himself can raise a case of personal harassment and aggravation against the JC management if indeed he was ‘touched’ or his shirt ‘pulled’.

Quite apart from the food and service in this J-C (just cheap, junk-chinese) restaurant being stale and sour, I have vowed never to visit this restaurant again in view of the distasteful, snotty and poor attitude of their staff; notably from a particular geisha-like female at this particular beachside outlet (glorified bukateria), whom I have no doubt is the star of this kerfuffle. It is noteworthy to mention that this attitude is not just limited to JCs’ beach side outlet, but resonates in good measure to all of its outlets in the granite-city; as if to say it was a management requirement for its staff. The attendants and staff look down their nose at you as if you’re a fly in their soup!!

These folks take the gold medal in all categories at the Olympics of snobbish attitude even well ahead of the Aberdonians who are generally pleasant (MYOB) easy going and courteous people.

With the premise that there should not be any amount of money worth your pride, the only civilised way to retaliate against this sort of establishments is to boycott their JC outlets and initiate a campaign for all and sundry to do same – furthermore, leave comments on such sites as ‘trip advisor’, ‘which’ and ‘what-restaurant’ and any such other customer feedback sites, if they feel the difference in sales/patronage, they may consider changing their attitude or be damned with it!

There are so many top service restaurants in Aberdeen not mentioning any here but be on the look out for our very own Naija food restaurant in Aberdeen, in due course…
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by olominu: 7:00pm On Jul 22, 2010
True Story Of Sammie Okposo’s Arrest in Scotland

Following the misleading story reported by Evening Express, a Scottish evening paper, on the arrest of one of Africa's leading gospel artistes and Globacom ambassador, Sammie Okposo during his honeymoon in Aberdeen over a racist statement, the artiste and the Nigerians who were present at the scene of the ugly incident have risen to set the records straight.
According to information made available to us by MME (Media & Marketing Experts) and different comments of eye witnesses posted on different websites especially on nairaland.com, Sammie and his newly wedded wife, Ozioma in the company of their friends, Mr and Mrs Efemua, also Nigerians, had gone to a restaurant known as Jimmy Chung's on Aberdeen's Beach Esplanade to attend to their noisy stomachs.
They were said to have arrived at the restaurant at exactly 4.30pm in the evening but were not aware that lunchtime ended at 5pm. One of the attendants, a lady, who some Nigerians described as very violent, announced to them few minutes later that they have to rush their food and leave the restaurant before 5pm or else they will be charged for both lunch and dinner.
At this point, Sammie was already serving the food while the others were sorting out where they would sit.
Witnesses said the Nigerians questioned the attendant. They wondered why she had not informed them when they arrived, saying they would probably have waited till 5pm before settling down in the restaurant.
The argument was said to have attracted the attention of the manager of the restaurant (identified as Ronny Shui Hung Yung), who aggravated the issue the more. Another lady allegedly went ahead to drag Sammie's shirt, ordering him to stop dishing out the food; an act that so many people in the restaurant described as unprofessional and barbaric. But Sammie was said to have taken it easy. “He told her politely that she shouldn't have pulled his shirt. At this point, the manager of the restaurant was already harassing Sammie's wife and the pregnant wife of his friend, Eloho Efemua, who happens to be the younger sister of popular Nigerian actor, Fred Amata.
"When Sammie turned back after the violent attendant pulled his shirt and realised the manager was raising hands and pointing accusing fingers at his wife and the pregnant lady in a very disrespectful and demeaning manner not meant for a gentleman and a service provider, he immediately swung into action and warned the manager in a very hard tone to desist from harassing and accusing his wife and Mrs Efemua after he had been briefed about what happened", a witness told Rhythm and Sounds.
When the manager wouldn't stop but was getting more motivated, we heard that Sammie, who was very shocked and displeased at that point, told the manager that he should make sure his fingers don't touch his wife and that if he is tired of running this kind of restaurant, he should return to his country. Immediately Sammie made this statement, the manager wrote down Sammie's friend's car number and called the police to report a racial statement being made against him.
Having realised he had called the police, Sammie urged his wife including the other couple that they should wait for the police's arrival and thrash out the issue once and for all. It was reported that the police didn't arrive until 30 minutes after the distress call but the couples waited outside the restaurant till they arrived.
What however shocked the people present at scene, we gathered, was that the Scottish Police, as professional as they claimed to be, failed to ask any questions from the two Nigerian couples before taking them to the police station after listening to the restaurant manager. This, we heard, infuriated some Nigerians present at the restaurant and they registered their displeasure with the restaurant management.
Speaking for the first time on the incident, Sammie Okposo told journalists in Lagos who have been eager to hear from him that he is only a victim of circumstance. “It is true they took us to their police station without listening to our own side of the story but we played along with them as good and law abiding citizens of Nigeria. After the court in Aberdeen did a thorough check on me from all the countries I have visited, they said my record is clean and impeccable. I was released the next day without making any official statements. But if the manager of the restaurant presses the issue further and it results to a court case, my lawyer in Scotland, Michael Munro will handle it. I don't regret my actions for speaking up against bad and rude behaviours from the staff of Jimmy Chung's. I don't regret defending my wife as a true African man,” he said.
Sammie's wife, Ozioma was very sad about the incidence. In her words, “We could afford to go to anywhere in the world for our honeymoon, but we chose to visit Aberdeen because of all the good things we had heard. We have been emotionally, mentally, financially and physically drained by this trip; which brings us to one conclusion: that going to Aberdeen for our honeymoon was the biggest mistake we would ever make in our marriage”.
Okposo was alleged to have caused alarm or distress to Ronny Shui Hung Yung by shouting, swearing and uttering racial remarks at the Aberdeen restaurant. He was also accused of acting in a racially aggravated manner by Scottish Evening Express. Against the ethos of journalism, the paper published the story based on the reports of the restaurant's manager, whose unprofessional conduct has greatly been criticised, without listening to the other party and the eye witnesses.
Sammie Okposo's lawyer in Nigeria revealed that Sammy is going to raise a case of personal harassment and aggravation against the restaurant management and the violation of his human rights by the Aberdeen police. The lawyer is filing a petition to the Nigerian High Commission and United Nations, where he is an ambassador.
One of the comments posted on nairaland.com, based on the experience of the writer at the said restaurant, says “the distasteful, snotty and poor attitude of staff of Jimmy Chung Restaurant resonates in good measure to all of its outlets in the Granite-city of Aberdeen; as if to say it was a management requirement for its staff. The attendants and staff look down their nose at you as if you're a fly in their soup”.
Re: Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon by otawa: 8:47pm On Jul 22, 2010
Sammie Okposo Arrested In Aberdeen During Honeymoon

absolutely hilarious.

who goes to Aberdeen for Honeymoon

oh my goodness!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amuwo LGA Arrests Orange Sellers And Locks Shops On Democracy Day / An Attack On Bokoharam Is An Attack On The North / Nepotism Alert: Update Of Buhari's Lopsided Appointments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.