Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,026 members, 7,849,144 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 03:09 PM

Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? (5203 Views)

BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like / Buhari Is The Reason Tunisia Defeated Nigeria So Disastrously - Reno Omokri / South-East 'Has A Strong Case' But Atiku’s Running Mate To Come From South-West (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by JaceBlaze: 1:02pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

That's the thing , we have become so used to nonsense that when someone comes from outside to point it out , we will bark and curse him . I've only been to Nigeria for a day now and can't wait to leave , it's just depressing, the generator sounds, dirt all over and the people who seem indifferent about it all sad. You point these things out and you are seen as an enemy who wants to mock the country. Bleep!!
I guess a Nigerian version of Julius Malema would work?...perhaps

The other problem is that (or at least according to my little observation) Nigerian youth is not as savvy when it comes to politics as their South African counterpart and the crooks in power will always capitalise on their ignorance and loot the state without any interruptions.I don't know how long that will go on before the Nigerian youth finally wakes up and realise that something (no matter how drastic it may be) needs to be done,it's all up to them.

You in Naija at the moment?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 06, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Why are you carrying SA on your head like this? Brother, I know you're not a Nigerian. I'm not saying we don't have faults here, we have many but who owns the land where Whites are separating themselves and choosing the best of in SA? Can SA government act like Mogabe by seizing land from the covertous Whites? This is what we are saying, they've not got the guts.

Sweety , it's 2018 , people can't just act like it's 1918 grin. You expect them to do illegal land grabs and kill whites like Zimbabwe did , and sanctions fall on them right grin. South Africa is doing the right thing by changing their constitution to take back the lands , only idiots who are sentimental would encourage illegal structures as a way of " taking back the land ". Where is Zimbabwe now ? Are they not starving and crossing over to South Africa daily ? Namibia and South Africa are doing the right thing by not acting like dumb illiterates. Whites and any property owner have every right to protect the value of their home. You can't just come next to my house and build grin, laws have to be followed , that is why the issue is in parliament, they are avoiding " Zimbabwe " . Yes , I'm not nigerian because I won't lie about what's on the ground in both countries undecided.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by HarryDuce(m): 1:14pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

True. But if Nigerians are still the poorest people on earth with Our resources , why then would we expect black South Africans to have all of their people out of poverty in 25 years yet we have failed to lift our own in 58 years ? It's like we expect miracles from them , part of the reason I called our country hypocritical . Whites in south Africa never lost anything and had an upper hand for hundreds of years , did we expect for that to suddenly disappear? . Blacks anywhere have the highest number of uneducated people because of the systems the colonialists put in place ,South Africa with its history should lead the pack if we are realistic . Nigeria has one the highest number of illiterates in the world, even though we had no whites for decades , if we had whites we would be at the bottom as well. Nigerian formal economy is ran mostly by foreigners like the shell companies and your Mtns with the help of rich nigerian stooges, the majority of us rely on hawking or petty businesses. Well I don't know how we stand a better chance of prosperity when they are growing more millionaires than us yearly . Yes they have slums , but majority have better access to good living standards and education . But it's all on our shoulders whether we can make the country work or not. We have a lot of potential.
True. South Africa has no large Muslim population either.

Why they have more millionaires is not so difficult to fathom. The country is now in the control of the majority. It wasn't a barren land 25 years ago. Institutions were already in place albeit for the white minority. Institutions we failed to factor from the onset.

Like i said, different demographics, different problems. It's early to tell how situations will unfold.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Oct 06, 2018
When Yoruba man with his up and down abada and half chopped cap is waiting on jagagbam to tell him who to vote

Anyway what concern me.....AM IPOB AM NOT VOTING ANYMORE.....BUT I WILL LOVE TO SEE BUHARI SINK NIGERIA
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 06, 2018
JaceBlaze:
I guess a Nigerian version of Julius Malema would work?...perhaps

The other problem is that (or at least according to my little observation) Nigerian youth is not as savvy when it comes to politics as their South African counterpart and the crooks in power will always capitalise on their ignorance and loot the state without any interruptions.I don't know how long that will go on before the Nigerian youth finally wakes up and realise that something (no matter how drastic it may be) needs to be done,it's all up to them.

You in Naija at the moment?

I know you guys dislike Malema , but our youth could do with such a guy . Someone to awaken the youth with passion and patriotism .

Nigerians in general don't care about politics, we want to make money, not knowing that all things are born from politics that includes the economy . Well , it will take some time because when you try to hold meetings or gatherings with the youth, they won't come or will call on people who will disrupt the whole thing undecided. It's tiring .

Yes , I'm visiting .
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 06, 2018
HarryDuce:
True. South Africa has no large Muslim population either.

Why they have more millionaires is not so difficult to fathom. The country is now in the control of the majority. It wasn't a barren land 25 years ago. Institutions were already in place albeit for the white minority. Institutions we failed to factor from the onset.

Like i said, different demographics, different problems. It's early to tell how situations will unfold.

Yes , very few Muslims there. Do you think that really plays a part ?

Yes , that's where I feel we messed up ; independence. We had an opportunity to use the white systems left and add our own flavour to it , but messed up everything.

I get you.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by HarryDuce(m): 2:05pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

Yes , that's where I feel we messed up ; independence. We had an opportunity to use the white systems left and add our own flavour to it , but messed up everything.

I get you.
Yes. I think the fact that Christianity is the dominant religion is also a contributing factor. Any opposing view as regards to religion is not taken seriously. It's irrelevant like that. So many others are non religious.

The kind of Islam practiced in Nigeria and a large chunk of West Africa is very backward; Islam and pagan beliefs in a mix. I could also say that about Christianity in Nigeria ( and Africa) though. But we don't get to hear things like "Islamaization of South Africa" .

Using the systems set up by the colonial government would not have been realistic in the long run. We know ourselves more than they do. This is the present. We have to change our mindset.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by JaceBlaze: 2:45pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

I know you guys dislike Malema , but our youth could do with such a guy . Someone to awaken the youth with passion and patriotism .

Nigerians in general don't care about politics, we want to make money, not knowing that all things are born from politics that includes the economy . Well , it will take some time because when you try to hold meetings or gatherings with the youth, they won't come or will call on people who will disrupt the whole thing undecided. It's tiring .

Yes , I'm visiting .
PERSONALLY,speaking for myself,I'm not a fan of that guy but his presence in the South African Parliament is necessary no matter how destructive some of his ideologies may sound.There is no party that knows how to keep ANC on its toes like the EFF does and that in my opinion is a good thing because having one dominant political party can lead to dictatorship and totalitarianism.You need something like EFF in Naija to challenge the current administration you have now.It must be frustrating just sitting back and watching thieves plunder the state without anybody doing something about it.

I don't follow politics that much myself but I refuse to be ignorant.This world is ran by politics and politicians.

okay smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 06, 2018
HarryDuce:
Yes. I think the fact that Christianity is the dominant religion is also a contributing factor. Any opposing view as regards to religion is not taken seriously. It's irrelevant like that. So many others are non religious.

The kind of Islam practiced in Nigeria and a large chunk of West Africa is very backward; Islam and pagan beliefs in a mix. I could also say that about Christianity in Nigeria ( and Africa) though. But we don't get to hear things like "Islamaization of South Africa" .

Using the systems set up by the colonial government would not have been realistic in the long run. We know ourselves more than they do. This is the present. We have to change our mindset.

You might be right . I went to this other museum in Durban a few months ago and saw how blacks were forced and killed if they didn't want to convert to christianity, its interesting how many of them refused it till today and thought of it as a way of enslaving them. But the funny thing is that they pray when others do but will quickly go to the graves of their ancestors to give praise and things like that grin, I found it odd for sometime cry.

Yes , the type of Islam in Nigeria is a bit too much , but it's also tied to politics , which is dangerous. Mixing religion , illiteracy , poverty together gets you a mess like Nigeria especially if Islam is dominant, Christianity is more for the " enlightened " , people who have salaries pastors can take.

True.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by nijabazaar: 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

I am for the exploring the idea of disintegration , but my issue with it , will it change much ?. Look at the different regions , all states are allocated funds for projects but very few are completed . And mind you, the leaders of each region belong to the majority tribe in that land . So will Nigerians of all tribes suddenly change their corrupt ways after separation?

Disintegration will change a lot.

Number one, there will be competition amongst the new countries, each will try to prove to the other than they being a country was the best thing ever. Check Singapore and Malaysia.

Two, cultyral aspirations will be uniform, there are certain things a yoruba values that an igbo man will find abhorrent or senile and vice versa.

Three, homogeneous population. People of the same kilt tend to be more united. Example, singapore, Qatar, Norway, UAE, Chile, Croatia, Bahrain

Four, Quota system will end ...at least in Biafra or Oodua. People will get their dues becos they merited it or qualified for it. Not because, the central government is overcompensating for lack of something. Check out the jamb situation...

And there will flocking mentality to economic competition... Check out what is happening between South korea, japan, China, Vietnam, Taiwan. They are in the same geographical zone and all are striving to outdo the other in technology and the best HDI
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 5:01pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

No , the land is not distributed yet but the bill was passed in parliament. I support the way it's been done , consulting and taking their time to listen to the cries of both groups. They are trying to avoid the mistakes made by many .

thats the first step...admitting that those white moroons did you wrong....if you dont correct this evil wrong then south africa will stay stuck...

the children of those white moroons are banking on the wrong of their fore fathers and the mind wash their parents put on black peoples....their children are stvpid no be small....they dont know how to deal with smart blacks today....

thats why they are behaving like moroons again when trump was elected...but its too late for them now....

it will only become worser for them...and they dont even understand how to make more white children sef....

a black proffessor once told me that blacks shouldnt worry about whites....na his own woman will finish him off....

ironic....

kiiiikikikkikiki....

me,i just look at them and laugh....

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 5:10pm On Oct 06, 2018
HarryDuce:
They haven't done that yet. It needs to be done. It's good they are taking time to plan their course of action hence, the country might just turn out like Zimbabwe; another failed state.

it doesnt matter to me how south africa does it...but the land must be returned to the rightful owners.....

thats all i care about....

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by mikolo80: 5:13pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:
I'm not talking in terms of infrastructure, we all know the two countries have different histories. Nigeria was exploited by colonizers without them investing much in her , South Africa was exploited by colonizers but they invested heavily in her .

no malaria to poshu dem

I'm talking about ;
A) Politicians - in south africa anyone can wake up one day and start their own party

same in Nigeria

and they will gain a following from people from all walks of life ; rich ,poor ,different races and tribes, as long as their politics makes sense.

same

The age of the politician is also not judged, I look at the guys who lead the opposition parties , both in their early thirties and with a huge youth following which gives the ANC sleepless nights .

correlation not causation

- Now Nigeria, we have so many willing young people

no we don'
they wish
not willing

who are ready to steer the country in the right direction but the tribal, religious , and class bigotry in us won't let us be. Why can't we look past these elements that are making Nigeria suffer and come together as the youth to elect a leader who has our common national interest at heart , whether he is an Afonja, Aboki or Igbo?.

cos none do

Nigeria has so much talent across all tribes but instead of us collaborating those talents, we use them for silly comparisons and competion. This ofcourse is detrimental to national unity and progress .

talent in what exactly
talent in obeying orders is different from leadership talent

B) Accountability of leaders and public servants- there is corruption in both countries but the levels and punishments differ. In South Africa if a leader is found wanting , there is no mercy for him or her not even from people from the same tribe or race . A good example is Jacob Zuma, all South Africans stood up against him and forced him to resign , the Zulus didn't threaten other groups in order to protect him,they too looked at the bigger picture . There were people fighting for him to remain , but what I noticed is that they were not for him because of tribe or religion or race, they were just loyalists . In South Africa if a public institution is not delivering well , the whole place will be shut down by citizens with a call for the public servants to be sacked or for a restructure of the leadership , no sentiments on which tribe or race the current leaders are . Corrupt public servants are often sacked , sent to court and jailed and the media is not selective in reporting them .
culture handed down
unlike biafra that created tribal and religious mistrust

In Nigeria how many politicians have we punished for their corrupt activities ? .

who wan die?

How many of us report or protest against public servants who demand settlements before doing their jobs ?.

who protest epp
how many of us have the time or resources to protest

Our officers openly ask for bribes in public and no one blinks an eye .
alternatives?

Our public services are dead because citizens are dead. The best solution is to come together and fight the devils , no matter which tribe or religion , it is then that things will start happening the right way in naija . This all lies in our shoulders . We cannot say we want a sane country yet we are not willing to act sane. Things work in countries like South Africa because they demand for them to work and they are willing to put themselves out there for the betterment of their country.

we're behind you
start am

C). Judiciary system - courts in south africa are made independent from politics and business . You can sue a top politian or business and win even as a poor man , no need to be connected to the top , just get a public defender or private lawyer and present your case , if it's credible you stand a better chance of justice . Former president Zuma is currently in court for his crimes, no amount of political influence can change the court' s mind.

cos there will be consequences for the judges
unlike Nigeria where tribe and religion will skata every

In Nigeria, if you are not rich and connected, don't even try going after politicians and rich people . You will only get yourself in trouble. Justice is for the rich and famous . Can Jonathan or Buhari stand before a judge for anything . Never ! The parts of the South would be up in arms and protect Jonathan, and the northerners would shut the country down for Buhari. Again , it's not the leaders who have ruined Nigeria, it is you and me and our bigotry, cowardice and hypocrisy.

o so you know

D). Religion , in South Africa there is not many Muslims but their rights are not infringed because they are a minority . They are left alone to be who they are without fear or intimidation from the majority. Muslims and other minorities like Hindus are well represented in parliament and other public offices . South Africa is not a religious country , and there is no " God punish you " talk to blackmail others Into complying with anything. Yes , they have their deluded snake eating church goers grin, but the greater majority don't care about religion, they prefer their own cultural practices which makes them united without foreign religions separating them.

In Nigeria, can a Muslim run for office and win in south east? . Can a Christian run for office and win in the greater North ?.

yes

Can someone openly practice their cultural rites without him being called primitive , evil or backward ? .,

yes

Can someone say they don't care about Christianity or Islam without people threatening him with hell or God's or Allah's wrath ?.

yes

Religion is one of the things weighing us down, and making foreign invaders divide us and yes they have conquered us through it. Boko haram is a good example. I'm not saying we should not respect our respective religion , but just be careful not to let them block us from reasoning.
that's why it's called religio
mind control
I suggest you let it be and use it instead of fighting religion

E). Education - South Africa spends over 20% of its GDP in education . As a result they don't have any need for private universities. Their public universities are world class and well maintained. They attract students world wide. If you went to the university of cape town for instance 5 years ago , you will still find the infrasture there the same and you would find new built facilities or wings to accommodate more students and researchers , this is due to good governance and culture of maintenance. South Africa has student loans and grants for the poor , I'm not talking for a few but many . A student from a poor background can access quality education and repay the loan over his lifetime after finding employment . The government has a grant system that pays for the poor student's fees , accommodation, transportation, books and feeding . South African rich and powerful people don't send their children overseas for schooling , unless it's for ivy leagues , they invest in their own institutions.

In Nigeria, how many banks are willing to loan poor students?.

would you bank with a bank that loaned Nigerian students your money that you will never get back

How many grants does our government offer the poor students?.

how many grants does the govt have to give

Our government spends about 7% of our GDP on such a huge population and expects to have quality graduates undecided. Our certificates are almost worthless outside of Nigeria.

that should tell you something

Our public universities look like farms not to talk about our harzodous student residences sad. We have been made to accept rubbish as a norm .

F) Health care system- South African government spends a big part of the GDP on healthcare. The public hospitals are open 24/7with running water and electricity. The hospitals and clinics are of good quality . South African leaders don't do medical tourism , they invest in their own system . If one person dies due to negligence in the hospital , the whole media and country'attention will be in that hospital. South African public hospitals are even better than our private ones sad

In Nigeria , how much do we spend on our public healthcare? . Why have we accepted medical tourism as a norm . Celebrities giving birth in USA and UK is openly celebrated by the fans lipsrsealed. This embarrassment is now an achievement for many , something we now all wish for .

G) . Flaunting wealth - in south africa a childish man like Dino would not be a part of governing the country , he would have been slammed and sacked a long-time ago . I have never seen any South African politician in the media for flaunting his new cars or house , but in naija, it's a norm. Do you know in south Africa there is a special unit called hawks , if you are suspected of illegal money, they will be on your ass . If you flaunt money on social media, within a few hours they are in your front door to investigate the source. But in Nigeria, that would be seen as witchhunting . We have scammers openly flaunting illegal gains and we applaud and celebrate them for being " smart and hardworking ".

now you see the problem
we are the problem not the 'leaders '

Our authorities won't do anything about it as long as you settle them , and we expect not to have young boys quitting education for crime .

why not
survival is instinct

H) . Dignity to Labour , minimum wage , standards of living- South African people doing menial jobs earn 3500 ZAR ,thats sbout 85,962.07 NGN. On top of this , they get free quality healthcare, free government houses or subsides ones . Their houses have 24hrs of power. All of their homes have running water and fitted toilets . Their roads are maintained. Transportation is safe ; from trains to road worthy taxis . They have access to credit or loans in case of emergencies. When they retire , on top of their retirement funds , they can apply for a monthly old age grant . How much is our proposed minimum wage ?. What benefits do our security guards and cleaners get . And the bloody Fg is telling us to come back home , to what ? To do what ? Be treated like slaves by the rich ?. A rich man in south Africa qeues like those earning minimun wage to be served, no skipping the line or intimidating the poor while others look on in admiration .
a rich man nko
tell the truth

When will we get here .

when we get there

If a well to do person intimidates or does something to a poor person , the whole country will know about it and justice will be served, but in naija we blame the victim or turn a blind eye .

The point of this write up is to encourage unity, accountability .

talk is cheap
you sef comot chook head

We can't force leaders to perform if we are constantly fighting each other . They all sit together laughing at Our stupidity while pretending to be enemies in public. We need to change our collective mindset . We have a lot of smart and innovative youth scattered around the world, but when will we ever get our own home in order ?. South Africans are not desperate to leave their home even with all their problems inherited from apartheid , they continue to improve.

cos they know there's nowhere to go to

South Africa has many of her challenges but they are gradually getting the basics in order, we should start our own journey too. We may not like each other, but let's put our differences apart and build our own home.

Peace.

Ihaveleftnaija, izombie , ugosample , crownwealth, Juliusmalema,AroleOduduwa, evilforest . Which way ?
t do anything about it as long as you settle them , and we expect not to have young boys quitting education for crime .

H) . Dignity to Labour , minimum wage , standards of living- South African people doing menial jobs earn 3500 ZAR ,thats sbout 85,962.07 NGN. On top of this , they get free quality healthcare, free government houses or subsides ones . Their houses have 24hrs of power. All of their homes have running water and fitted toilets . Their roads are maintained. Transportation is safe ; from trains to road worthy taxis . They have access to credit or loans in case of emergencies. When they retire , on top of their retirement funds , they can apply for a monthly old age grant . How much is our proposed minimum wage ?. What benefits do our security guards and cleaners get . And the bloody Fg is telling us to come back home , to what ? To do what ? Be treated like slaves by the rich ?. A rich man in south Africa qeues like those earning minimun wage to be served, no skipping the line or intimidating the poor while others look on in admiration . When will we get here . If a well to do person intimidates or does something to a poor person , the whole country will know about it and justice will be served, but in naija we blame the victim or turn a blind eye .

The point of this write up is to encourage unity, accountability . We can
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by mikolo80: 5:18pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

Bro , I agree with you. I have noticed that countries that fought hard with colonialists tend to easily unite than the ones who never lost anything . What gets to me the most is the fact that we have so many schooled youth who still can't see beyond tribe and religion undecided.

schooled in what I may ask
a schooled doctor can never replace a plumber

In my stay in south africa, I have realised the black man is not cursed but refuses to think and act . I'm amazed of how politically involved the youth here are , including secondary school children

youth are politically involved in Nigeria
dunno what you're saying

. Look at how vibrant and youthful their parliament is .
look at how youthful our parliament and soldiers were
do not compare, countries different independence ages

Both countries have serious structural problems to resolve dating back to colonial times but one is working hard destroying the legacy and the other working hard to keep it. Lord save us.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 5:44pm On Oct 06, 2018
mikolo80:

i dont get jealous because another black nation understand the world more better....

if south understand more then nigeria,then they should be a example for all others...

this killings and insults between brodas must stop first for nigerians to respect south africans....
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Naajjii: 5:45pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

I get you.
The fact that South Africa has a one dominant religion also helps. Nigeria has 2 religion almost equally distributed this is another problem because of competition and the feeling that one is trying to dominate the other.If there is an appointment or an election most people always put candidate's faith into consideration.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 5:49pm On Oct 06, 2018
Naajjii:

The fact that South Africa has a one dominant religion also helps. Nigeria has 2 religion almost equally distributed this is another problem because of competition and the feeling that one is trying to dominate the other.If there is an appointment or an election most people always put candidate's faith into consideration.

that shouldnt be a problem nowadays....is not that moslems are forcing christians to become muslims anyways....

the muslim group that tried it,nigeria is at war right now....

religion should be a personal choise and not by force....
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Naajjii: 6:40pm On Oct 06, 2018
bantudra:

that shouldnt be a problem nowadays....is not that moslems are forcing christians to become muslims anyways....

the muslim group that tried it,nigeria is at war right now....

religion should be a personal choise and not by force....

If it's not a problem why are we having a situation where by presidential candidate is a Muslim then deputy must be a Christian in Nigeria. What will be Nigerians reaction if we have a Christian/ Christian or Muslim/Muslim candidate to represent Nigeria? Do we have people complaining in states that it's predominantly Christian like Benue for example or Zamfara in case of Muslim?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2018
Naajjii:

If it's not a problem why are why having a situation where by presidential candidate is a Muslim then deputy must be a Christian in Nigeria. What will be Nigerians reaction if we have a Christian/ Christian or Muslim/Muslim candidate to represent Nigeria? Do we have people complaining in states that it's predominantly Christian like Benue for example or Zamfara in case of Muslim?

i dont deal with religion stuffs....let them settle themselves....nigeria is too different than south africa to even compare....
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by gidgiddy: 11:33pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

I am for the exploring the idea of disintegration , but my issue with it , will it change much ?. Look at the different regions , all states are allocated funds for projects but very few are completed . And mind you, the leaders of each region belong to the majority tribe in that land . So will Nigerians of all tribes suddenly change their corrupt ways after separation?

If a partnership is not working, the only option is for those who no longer believe in the partnership to pull out. Those who believe in it can continue. It happens in business and marriage. Only those who are similar in outlook and ideology should be together in a country. The idea of bringing Igbo/Hausa/Yoruba, Who all have divergent views on what a country should be, together and expect things to work is wishful thinking
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by fallout87: 11:38pm On Oct 06, 2018
Two major reasons;

They don't have many muslims and there are many whites who have investments, properties and take the land as their own.

If we are honest with ourselves, muslims do not know how to coexist with others. They seek to destory everything.

If we are also honest with ourselves, whites are opressors but they manage Africa resources and organize the country's they invade. They develop institutions and structures and South Africa while suffering under severe oppression from them benefited in the end from the structures they put in place.

These are very sad and humbling realities.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by gidgiddy: 11:43pm On Oct 06, 2018
HarryDuce:
Lol

Nigeria disintegrating is - in vague terms - impossible at the level we have reached. The populace is united alright; united in the wrong things. Mediocrity, Religion, nepotism, tribalism, etcetera. All of these still exist in states that profess homogeneity for example. Why do they exist? I'm pretty sure you can figure that out. We don't hold individuals responsible for their actions these days. When anyone fails in his/her duty, we think the person's tribe has failed. Another person from a different tribe should try. We all think this way. It's not limited to any tribe. What Nigeria needs right now is large scale reforms. The youths need to be more involved. We have seen what that can do already.

Repeating "true federalism" mantra and "disintegration" isn't going to solve anything if we speak of them like they are happening to foreigners.

People like you don't get it. Britain, created Nigeria. The same Britain is made up of the Kingdoms Scotland, England and Wales also known as the United Kingdom. These three kingdoms have been together for over 300 years, long before there was anything called Nigeria. Yet Scotland agitated for independence and got a referendum in 2014.

If the very people who created Nigeria were prepared to disintegrate by giving one of their areas a referendum, then who are Nigerians to say that Nigeria can never disintegrate? Nigeria does not work as a nation and that's why nothing works, but those who want their independence believe they can do better if they get their independence

America was once under Britain, but since America got its independence, it has become greater than Britain. So this idea that nobody can do better out of Nigeria is nonsense
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by zuma4k(m): 1:41am On Oct 07, 2018
Still amazes me how this post has not hit the front page. I do not think even Restructuring will be able to save us as things have gotten much worst that we all think. The country should simply disintegrate.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 2:20am On Oct 07, 2018
gidgiddy:

People like you don't get it. Britain, created Nigeria. The same Britain is made up of the Kingdoms Scotland, England and Wales also known as the United Kingdom. These three kingdoms have been together for over 300 years, long before there was anything called Nigeria. Yet Scotland agitated for independence and got a referendum in 2014.

If the very people who created Nigeria were prepared to disintegrate by giving one of their areas a referendum, then who are Nigerians to say that Nigeria can never disintegrate? Nigeria does not work as a nation and that's why nothing works, but those who want their independence believe they can do better if they get their independence

America was once under Britain, but since America got its independence, it has become greater than Britain. So this idea that nobody can do better out of Nigeria is nonsense

and how did america get their independence from british....??...that was not easy a tall....

and you realy think you will get independence just with blablas....??

forget that idea....

even the areas you wan drag along in your biafra blabla dont agree with you.....

what makes you think i wan become biafran....??...what makes you think i will not fight you in your then biafra...??

you will never have peace with people like me......

better let that biafra matter rest and unite to fight the real issues....
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 2:32am On Oct 07, 2018
getting biafra will not solve anything in africa...we should be uniting more and not separating more....

whites drew those maps....i dont see no reason to be fighting each other over bounderies that your enemies drew....
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 2:37am On Oct 07, 2018
and....those bounderies is funny the way they were drown...if you go back to history,you would know that the maps of africa is nonesense....

european militaries were competiting between each others...maps of africa were drawn according to the movements of their militaries.....

why the hell should we kill each other today because of that....?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 5:46am On Oct 07, 2018
gidgiddy:

If a partnership is not working, the only option is for those who no longer believe in the partnership to pull out. Those who believe in it can continue. It happens in business and marriage. Only those who are similar in outlook and ideology should be together in a country. The idea of bringing Igbo/Hausa/Yoruba, Who all have divergent views on what a country should be, together and expect things to work is wishful thinking

We have not explored all other options thoroughly. Breaking up the country should be the last resort .
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 5:48am On Oct 07, 2018
Naajjii:

I concur . We messed up our own selves by carrying foreign religions on our heads, now they are playing divide and conquer on behalf of the absent colonizers. Sick.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 5:52am On Oct 07, 2018
mikolo80:

schooled in what I may ask
a schooled doctor can never replace a plumber

youth are politically involved in Nigeria
dunno what you're saying

look at how youthful our parliament and soldiers were
do not compare, countries different independence ages

How many politically parties lead by young people are a force to be reckoned with in naija .

I said look at their parliament and ours today . They had more older politicians in the 90s but saw that was stupid, younger ones should take over to move things quickly , and you are saying something embarrassing; we had younger people back then and now we are electing fossils to rule us , isn't that stupidity?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by mikolo80: 7:50pm On Oct 07, 2018
Runalong333:

How many politically parties lead by young people are a force to be reckoned with in naija .
whose fault that they don't have leadership qualities

I said look at their parliament and ours today . They had more older politicians in the 90s but saw that was stupid, younger ones should take over to move things quickly , and you are saying something embarrassing;

I don't understand you

we had younger people back then and now we are electing fossils to rule us , isn't that stupidity?
what did we end up with the younger ppl. civil war
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 11, 2018
mikolo80:

whose fault that they don't have leadership qualities

I don't understand you

what did we end up with the younger ppl. civil war

Its you and mes fault.

You said we had younger leaders back then , I'm saying they have younger leaders now. Who is better positioned to take the country foward between an aged man and a younger one ?

So younger leaders cause civil wars?. Let's just accept being lead by fossils right? Atleast there won't be any civil war in Nigeria undecided
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by mikolo80: 8:21pm On Oct 11, 2018
Runalong333:

Its you and mes fault.

yep

You said we had younger leaders back then , I'm saying they have younger leaders now. Who is better positioned to take the country foward between an aged man and a younger one ?

a, forward thinking one
no be by age

So younger leaders cause civil wars?.

they were all young and inexperienced

Let's just accept being lead by fossils right?

that's not what I Said

Atleast there won't be any civil war in Nigeria undecided
don't be so sure

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This Is How Imo State Is Fumigated And Disinfected Against Covid19. Best Way? / Nairaland BMC's Trying To Hold Nigeria Together(GRAPHIC) / Enugu High Court convicts Igbinedion, fines him N3.5 million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.