Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,389 members, 7,861,080 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:22 PM

Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? (5237 Views)

BBC: Nigeria's So-called Tax Collectors: Menacing And Mafia-like / Buhari Is The Reason Tunisia Defeated Nigeria So Disastrously - Reno Omokri / South-East 'Has A Strong Case' But Atiku’s Running Mate To Come From South-West (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Pivotal: 10:31am On Oct 06, 2018
bantudra:
nigeria is different than south africa.....nigeria is a nation with many kingdoms,south africa is not....

how many kingdoms does south africa have....zulu..??...shona....thats already all...

nigeria has many kingdoms like songhai,bini,mali,dahomey,ashanti,calabar,congo and the list goes on and on....

comparin nigeria to south africa makes no sense....

If I cite another country with more kingdoms than Nigeria what will your new excuse Nigeria as to fail. Truth is a nation should not fail under any disguise stop arguing nmaking excuse for failures.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Ugosample(m): 10:31am On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

Brother I hear your cries . But for me disintegration is not really an option for me but restructuring. If only all the states would get equal funding .

disintegration is not even possible

The country is stuck

What we need to restructure is our mentality as a people

The key to driving Nigeria forward is in the private sector

but then the mentality there is something else

And disintegrating the country will not delete that mentality all of a sudden
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by meccuno: 10:32am On Oct 06, 2018
Ugosample:

tribalism is not a bad thing per se?

can you hear what you saying? ?
(you just exhibited the barbaric mentality I have been complaining about)

The founding fathers if Nigeria in a way polarised the country with that rubbish mentality and look at where it has gotten us.

Nigeria has sailed far and can no longer disintegrate;
We have no secession clause in our constitution, and only a constitutional amendment (which is mission impossible) that can even give provision for separation

Another option is war, but we tried that before and saw how it ended

So Nigerians better find a way to eschew that rotten mentality

Ghana can be compared to Nigeria itself because Ghana has many many many tribes too for theur size.
And they have been able to build a national identity
All thanks to Nkrumah.

Nigerians have to throw away this mentality for real progress to happen

dude....lets stop being more catholic than the pope. we are not a country because we decided to come together irrespective of our tribal affiliation to become progressive and build a society that would give us a better life with basic and required things of life. we are a country because the British in their convenience created a country to loot the resources from Nigeria and in Africa as a whole. there were great Nations that have been together and now there are just memories. soviet union,Yugoslavia, India and Pakistan,Ethiopia and Eritrea ,Malaysia and Singapore. just to mention a few. these countries never had secession in their constitution but they cease to exist. you might call me what ever name you wish but i am a realist. they only way to progress is either we revert to a 36 state style federalism were states exploit their resources and determine their destinies or we DISINTEGRATE. it might sound crude and illogical but we are heading towards that. i have nothing in common with an average Northerner neither do i have with a Yoruba man. i do not hate these people. but when push comes to shove, we all would always side our own. its not a bad thing its just the way God has created humans. its better we do it now that the opportunity presents itself or it would be done by force.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Ugosample(m): 10:33am On Oct 06, 2018
Pivotal:

If I cite another country with more kingdoms than Nigeria what will your new excuse Nigeria as to fail. Truth is a nation should not fail under any disguise stop arguing nmaking excuse for failures.

exactly!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by meccuno: 10:34am On Oct 06, 2018
Ugosample:

you know what tribalism means in the Nigerian context, so don't even try to play smart grin cheesy
i dont do that. i say it as it is. that is the definition. i did not write the dictionary.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 06, 2018
Ugosample:

The country is stuck

You are right . This is what I was trying to emphasise on this thread ; the mentality . Every change will follow once we change our way of thinking and start being true patriots , not fake ones who only unite for soccer and fighting e wars with foreigners .
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 06, 2018
Pivotal:

True. What he doesn't get is that there are countries out there that face bigger problems than Nigeria in terms of diversity but still do well. Some countries have to deal with different ;tribes , religions and worse races and foreign migrants, but they still manage to pull through. This excuse is silly
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by meccuno: 10:40am On Oct 06, 2018
Ugosample:

The country is stuck

No country is stuck. do not have that mentality because greater countries felt that way and we all know how it ended. Nigeria is a country that has never attained greatness i stand to be corrected. private or no private. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT is the determining factor. and the North have been the people who have always wanted to rule even when we all know that their reason is just to hold on to power and enslave the southern part because of its enormous human resource potential. having separate entities might be problematic for the first few years but a deeper sense of Nationalism would start to take center stage.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Pivotal: 10:51am On Oct 06, 2018
meccuno:
and who started the civil war?
Consult your history books or teacher
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Naajjii: 10:55am On Oct 06, 2018
Nice question
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Naajjii: 10:55am On Oct 06, 2018
D
I see our population as one of the reasons, first of all we black people all over got problem of resource managment and maintenance culture, we are very aggressive race, egoistic. And now we got the most concentration of such black people in the world In Nigeria.
Another problem is we seem to have completely hands off our cultures and ways of doing things and adopted western ways such that most of us see those doing things in our cultural ways as local or unintelligent people. If we want to do well we need to begin to use our original ways of doing thing which is what was naturally assigned to use and best fit us and then add the western ways where necessary to make it strong. That is what Chinese, Arabs , Indians and others are doing.

Also Nigeria is if not the most religious country in the world, am talking aboit Islam and Christianity, we practice and take these 2 religions more serious than the Arabs and Europeans. Given what these religions asked their followers to do you would expect that Nigeria would be the most peaceful country, the least corrupt country, a country filled with love and being brothers keeper, a country with less oppression , less greedy people, less materialistic people but thats not the situation, the opposite is the case.The question is if majority of Nigerians are Religious and the directives of these religions do not reflect on our daily lives then what we got are hypocrites, it would be better off if we don't even practise these religions because the punishments will be worse.
Another thing is we don't plan much and make sacrifice for the future,we want to benefit from all we do instead our children or next generation. We are curious, not adventurous, we don't involve heavily in research about things around us. All we look forward to, is make God pick my call to hammer and be rich and become a don then oppress people.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by JaceBlaze: 11:10am On Oct 06, 2018
The culture of complacency is the real problem.Can't be suffering and smiling at the same time and expect the crooks in power to catch a wake-up call and account for their incompetence.Sometimes the extreme way is the only way,if it takes riots to let thieving politicians know what time it is..so be it.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by meccuno: 11:10am On Oct 06, 2018
Pivotal:

Consult your history books or teacher
i have read my history i doubt if you have done the same.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 06, 2018
Naajjii:
I see our population as one of the reasons, first of all we black people all over got problem of resource managment and maintenance culture, we are very aggressive race, egoistic. And now we got the most concentration of such black people in the world In Nigeria.
Another problem is we seem to have completely hands off our cultures and ways of doing things and adopted western ways such that most of us see those doing things in our cultural ways as local or unintelligent people. If we want to do well we need to begin to use our original ways of doing thing which is what was naturally assigned to use and best fit us and then add the western ways where necessary to make it strong. That is what Chinese, Arabs , Indians and others are doing.

Also Nigeria is if not the most religious country in the world, am talking aboit Islam and Christianity, we practice and take these 2 religions more serious than the Arabs and Europeans. Given what these religions asked their followers to do you would expect that Nigeria would be the most peaceful country, the least corrupt country, a country filled with love and being brothers keeper, a country with less oppression , less greedy people, less materialistic people but thats not the situation, the opposite is the case.The question is if majority of Nigerians are Religious and the directives of these religions do not reflect on our daily lives then what we got is highest concentration of hypocrites in the world.
Another thing is we don't plan much and make sacrifice for the future,we want to benefit from all we do instead our children or next generation. We are curious, not adventurous, we don't involve heavily in research about things around us. All we look forward to, is make God pick my call to hammer and be rich and become a don then oppress people.

Its true there are countries with bigger population than Nigeria doing well and growing but the kind of mentally , mindset , aggressive nature , quick to insult nature , religion fanatics , egoistic people in Nigeria it will be difficult to achieve what South Africans have.

Thanks for the contribution bro. One of our biggest problems as a society is self hate. We may chant slogans of pride but what are those slogans worth when we act the opposite. We claim to be the proudest black nation in the world , yet we are leading in bleaching our black skins . Like you said, we parade ourselves as a religious country yet in reality we have some of the most brutal human traffickers , enslavers and thugs in pastors clothing in the world. We look down on our own cultures and advocate the ways of the West more , if that's not an inferiority complex, I don't know what is . Look at South Africa, a country with the longest white rule in Africa , Zulus, xhosas etc openly celebrate their cultures and rituals without am iota of shame even though they live among whites and Asians, they have never looked down on themselves but rather took some of the cultures from westerners and Asians to enhance their own. Even in parliament South Africans openly call on their ancestors instead of a God or Allah , in Nigeria you would be called illiterate and mocked, which is what the West likes and came to Africa to do . Make us ridicule ourselves and celebrate them. Maybe South Africans appreciate themselves more because they know whites well and their intentions with African pride, or we are just brainwashed beyond the normal range undecided.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by HarryDuce(m): 11:30am On Oct 06, 2018
gidgiddy:
As at 1960 when Nigeria got its independence, Nigeria was comparable to South Africa and South Korea.

Today, not only is South Korea 100 years ahead of Nigeria in terms of development, South Africa is far ahead as well.

I think that in the case of Nigeria, the country simply does not work. Bringing Yoruba/Hausa/Igbo together in 1914 was a disasterous mistake. All 3 ethnic groups should have been 3 different countries. We don't have a national philosophy, unifying factor or common value system. Out of our disunity, we expect miracles to happen? It doesn't work that way. It is time for Nigeria to disintegrate, we will all do better on our own than together
Lol

Nigeria disintegrating is - in vague terms - impossible at the level we have reached. The populace is united alright; united in the wrong things. Mediocrity, Religion, nepotism, tribalism, etcetera. All of these still exist in states that profess homogeneity for example. Why do they exist? I'm pretty sure you can figure that out. We don't hold individuals responsible for their actions these days. When anyone fails in his/her duty, we think the person's tribe has failed. Another person from a different tribe should try. We all think this way. It's not limited to any tribe. What Nigeria needs right now is large scale reforms. The youths need to be more involved. We have seen what that can do already.

Repeating "true federalism" mantra and "disintegration" isn't going to solve anything if we speak of them like they are happening to foreigners.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 06, 2018
JaceBlaze:
The culture of complacency is the real problem.Can't be suffering and smiling at the same time and expect the crooks in power to catch a wake-up call and account for their incompetence.Sometimes the extreme way is the only way,if it takes riots to let thieving politicians know what time it is..so be it.

That's the thing , we have become so used to nonsense that when someone comes from outside to point it out , we will bark and curse him . I've only been to Nigeria for a day now and can't wait to leave , it's just depressing, the generator sounds, dirt all over and the people who seem indifferent about it all sad. You point these things out and you are seen as an enemy who wants to mock the country. Bleep!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 06, 2018
HarryDuce:
Lol

Nigeria disintegrating is - in vague terms - impossible at level we have reached. The populace is united alright; united in the wrong things. Mediocrity, Religion, nepotism, tribalism, etcetera. All of these still exist in states that profess homogeneity for example. Why do they exist? I'm pretty sure you can figure that out. We don't hold individuals responsible for their actions these days. When anyone fails in his/her duty, we think the person's tribe has failed. Another person from a different tribe should try. We all think this way. It's not limited to any tribe. What Nigeria needs right now is large scale reforms. The youths need to be more involved. We have seen what that can do already.

Repeating "true federalism" mantra and "disintegration" isn't going to solve anything if we speak of them like they are happening to foreigners.

Thanks for this. Breaking up the country won't solve the problems on the ground. We need strong institutions that can really hold individuals accountable, like what I was saying about South Africa, you would swear their courts are ran by aliens, no favours or leniency for the rich and famous , infact I think they are punished more . We need something like this . I like the point you made about a whole tribe being blamed for failures of individuals , it's part of the nonsense that is keeping us backward and under performing.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 11:39am On Oct 06, 2018
Pivotal:

my point is,nigeria is full of different nations....if you think over it,it is said that nigeria has over 200 different languages....

that means nigeria has over 200 kingdoms....theoreticaly....
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by HarryDuce(m): 12:09pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

Thanks for this. Breaking up the country won't solve the problems on the ground. We need strong institutions that can really hold individuals accountable, like what I was saying about South Africa, you would swear their courts are ran by aliens, no favours or leniency for the rich and famous , infact I think they are punished more . We need something like this . I like the point you made about a whole tribe being blamed for failures of individuals , it's part of the nonsense that is keeping us backward and under performing.
Yeah Bro. Gross generalisations. We do it to ourselves and carry the attitude outside. Blame everyone else but ourselves.

South Africa already has strong institutions in place that can speak against an unruly government without fear of consequence. It has prevented a lot of drastic actions from being reality by sentimentalists. There are problems of course; A lot of revenge seeking folks. The country is not perfect. A lot can be done. And frankly, I think it's too early to tell how things will turn out.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 06, 2018
HarryDuce:
Yeah Bro. Gross generalisations. We do it to ourselves and carry the attitude outside. Blame everyone else but ourselves.

South Africa already has strong institutions in place that can speak against an unruly government without fear of consequence. It has prevented a lot of drastic actions from being reality by sentimentalists. There are problems of course; A lot of revenge seeking folks. The country is not perfect. A lot can be done. And frankly, I think it's too early to tell how things will turn out.

Exactly. The country is far from perfect , but I was only trying to highlight the good steps they have taken to address the basics, which is what we need . Take some drastic steps to address the big issues ; decay in education, healthcare ,judiciary and the biggest being tribalism and religious sentiments. Unity can't be attempted without reducing these ills.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Mizwisdom(f): 12:19pm On Oct 06, 2018
SACs are oppressed, majority Blacks are closed minded there. Last year I watched a documentary where blacks set up tents in a White community, the Whites called cops on them and they were driven out. Some were saying the Blacks are there to dirty their environment. We on the other hand are free, we are radicals that's why the Whites didn't stay here for long so we can't have easy democracy because we don't have herd mentality apart from the North but we in the South can't be like that.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 12:22pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

Exactly. The country is far from perfect , but I was only trying to highlight the good steps they have taken to address the basics, which is what we need . Take some drastic steps to address the big issues ; decay in education, healthcare ,judiciary and the biggest being tribalism and religious sentiments. Unity can't be attempted without reducing these ills.

its realy too early to tell how south africa will turn out....

but south africa did the first step by getting their lands back from the whites....
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by bantudra: 12:25pm On Oct 06, 2018
Mizwisdom:
SACs are oppressed, majority Blacks are closed minded there. Last year I watched a documentary where blacks set up tents in a White community, the Whites called cops on them and they were driven out. Some were saying the Blacks are there to dirty their environment. We on the other hand are free, we are radicals that's why the Whites didn't stay here for long so we can't have easy democracy because we don't have herd mentality apart from the North but we in the South can't be like that.

whites fear nigerians no be small....

i can actualy say nigerians are the blacks whites fear most....

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Oluwasaeon(m): 12:32pm On Oct 06, 2018
Interesting thread.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by HarryDuce(m): 12:36pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

Yes. In the end, we are different. Different mindsets. Different problems. Different demographics. It would be more difficult to get to the stage where basic infrastructure is a non-issue. Black south Africans are still the poorest; least educated. Private sector is still majorly in the hands of the white minority. We have better prospects to succeed, it's a shame we don't want any more discomfort than we already face.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 06, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Define close minded please . In South Africa there are laws against people occupying vacant land anyhow , even other blacks would call the police on anyone who set up shacks next to their properties, it's common sense . You would never allow someone to devalue your property, those whites had every right and the police were doing their job. Is that what you call oppression, playing by the rules , no wonder we have such a lawless jungle on our hands. We live in a democracy? Lol. You mean the democracy where we can't protest in peace without soldiers and police gunning us down? Democracy where only rich people get justice? . Sweetheart you are one deluded lady. You think the Brits left because we were radicals ? grin. No , they planned it all ; gave " power " to the north ( No education ) , meaning easy to control. They knew they would not advocate education and development, making us run to them for everything from health care to education, lol , radical my arse. Today, we take our money to them willingly in the detriment of our own development, that's not radicalism but docility .Whites " left " physically but they still run things here indirectly , from our oil to the clothes we put on daily . I will say it again, you are one deluded lady if you think we are better off than the black people in south Africa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by CanineOfJackal: 12:41pm On Oct 06, 2018
Pivotal:

Thanks to those that started the civil war n also those that do not want Buhari who is building the infrastructure that made SA what it is today but want a PDP that will rather loot Nigeria to it grave.
just keep quiet

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by HarryDuce(m): 12:52pm On Oct 06, 2018
bantudra:

but south africa did the first step by getting their lands back from the whites....
They haven't done that yet. It needs to be done. It's good they are taking time to plan their course of action hence, the country might just turn out like Zimbabwe; another failed state.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 06, 2018
HarryDuce:
Yes. In the end, we are different. Different mindsets. Different problems. Different demographics. It would be more difficult to get to the stage where basic infrastructure is a non-issue. Black south Africans are still the poorest; least educated. Private sector is still majorly in the hands of the white minority. We have better prospects to succeed, it's a shame we don't want any more discomfort than we already face.

True. But if Nigerians are still the poorest people on earth with Our resources , why then would we expect black South Africans to have all of their people out of poverty in 25 years yet we have failed to lift our own in 58 years ? It's like we expect miracles from them , part of the reason I called our country hypocritical . Whites in south Africa never lost anything and had an upper hand for hundreds of years , did we expect for that to suddenly disappear? . Blacks anywhere have the highest number of uneducated people because of the systems the colonialists put in place ,South Africa with its history should lead the pack if we are realistic . Nigeria has one the highest number of illiterates in the world, even though we had no whites for decades , if we had whites we would be at the bottom as well. Nigerian formal economy is ran mostly by foreigners like the shell companies and your Mtns with the help of rich nigerian stooges, the majority of us rely on hawking or petty businesses. Well I don't know how we stand a better chance of prosperity when they are growing more millionaires than us yearly . Yes they have slums , but majority have better access to good living standards and education . But it's all on our shoulders whether we can make the country work or not. We have a lot of potential.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Mizwisdom(f): 12:58pm On Oct 06, 2018
Runalong333:

Define close minded please . In South Africa there are laws against people occupying vacant land anyhow , even other blacks would call the police on anyone who set up shacks next to their properties, it's common sense . You would never allow someone to devalue your property, those whites had every right and the police were doing their job. Is that what you call oppression, playing by the rules , no wonder we have such a lawless jungle on our hands. We live in a democracy? Lol. You mean the democracy where we can't protest in peace without soldiers and police gunning us down? Democracy where only rich people get justice? . Sweetheart you are one deluded lady. You think the Brits left because we were radicals ? grin. No , they planned it all ; gave " power " to the north ( No education ) , meaning easy to control. They knew they would not advocate education and development, making us run to them for everything from health care to education, lol , radical my arse. Today, we take our money to them willingly in the detriment of our own development, that's not radicalism but docility .Whites " left " physically but they still run things here indirectly , from our oil to the clothes we put on daily . I will say it again, you are one deluded lady if you think we are better off than the black people in south Africa.

Why are you carrying SA on your head like this? Brother, I know you're not a Nigerian. I'm not saying we don't have faults here, we have many but who owns the land where Whites are separating themselves and choosing the best of in SA? Can SA government act like Mogabe by seizing land from the covertous Whites? This is what we are saying, they've not got the guts.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Different From South Africa? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 06, 2018
bantudra:

No , the land is not distributed yet but the bill was passed in parliament. I support the way it's been done , consulting and taking their time to listen to the cries of both groups. They are trying to avoid the mistakes made by many .

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ike Ekweremmadụ Attack: This Version Of The Video Changed My Viewpoint / Crowd As Buhari Commissions Projects In Imo [photos] / 'Sit-At-home: South-East Micro Businesses Lost Estimated N4.6trn In 52 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.