Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,298 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense (8964 Views)

The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by sayso: 3:25pm On Jul 13, 2010
while don't we wait and see if the implementation stage will come,then we can chastise whoever.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2010
xterra2:

I dont why People are criticising this as to it is too small
Firstly the former minimum wage is N5,500 and for it to be N17,000 is good news
now people get this it is minimum wage not your monthly wage
And though currently it is not enough it would go a long way to some people
and no countries minimum wage is ever enough
Take this for example in US you have five kids and your minimum wage is $400 and after four years you get 3 children again which means more food,school fees,a bigger house,more clothes,and a new car mini bus like toyota sienna,to accomodate the children while a person on the same minimum wage of $400 with one or no children would be better off , so really size matters , what am saying is that to SOME people it would be okay for them and SOME would still be inadequate but would help in a way,
And the N52,000 minimum wage they demanded is unrealistic as 4 play said and analysed ,
Now if they government does what is right by building trains and better transport also by building good and cheap affordable schools and helping farmers which would in turn make food prices cheap that N17,000 would be enough for MANY people IF NOT all

But you know that minimum wage in Nigeria means someone's paycheque for the month
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by OluwaKANYE: 3:46pm On Jul 13, 2010
We should be concerned with the percentage of people who gets paid this minimum wage rather than freaking comparing the US to Nigeria. There is no reason for comparison here, In the States even with the state of the economy, you can still classify some jobs as jobs for students (minimum wage based most times) Nigeria on the other hand, there isn't anything like that, jobs ain't that much and people would go for any job as far as they can earn an income. Also lots of employers would readily pay way below the minimum if they could get away with it. Point is while the minimum wage isn't usually the monthly wage, it is very small for a typical worker in Nigeria and since you can't be fined or arrested if that's what you pay your workers, it will most definitely comes down to be the monthly income or a little above that in Nigeria for a lot of employees.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 13, 2010
sayso:

while don't we wait and see if the implementation stage will come,then we can chastise whoever.
what implementation are you witing for ? The presidency has spoken its mind on the issue,so case closed.
tpiah:

N17,000 is too small.

really?

not sure about that.

most people still need to supplement their income in some way.
exactly and that is  why civil servants resort buying and selling;and police extort innocent citizens.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Pharoh: 3:50pm On Jul 13, 2010
They should try and improve the other sectors of the economy like transportation to ease cost of living.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by NkemPeter: 4:14pm On Jul 13, 2010
When you say the minimum wage will be N17,000.00, it means that it is the lowest wage anyone could be paid. It is for Level 1 step 1. That is for an employee with Primary Six Certificate without any form of experience at all. In essence, no one earns the minimum wage at least in government employment.

I think this is an improvement and should be encouraged instead of being condemned. Even the labour unions are pleased with this new development.

As for the Private Sector, I doubt if they will be able to pay the minimum wage!!!
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 13, 2010
NkemPeter:

When you say the minimum wage will be N17,000.00, it means that it is the lowest wage anyone could be paid. It is for Level 1 step 1. That is for an employee with Primary Six Certificate without any form of experience at all. In essence, no one earns the minimum wage at least in government employment.

I think this is an improvement and should be encouraged instead of being condemned. Even the labour unions are pleased with this new development.

As for the Private Sector, I doubt if they will be able to pay the minimum wage!!!
Actually,it's for only FEDERAL CIVIL SERVANTS,the MILITARY and POLICE.it's not binding on state government and private sector.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by sayso: 4:41pm On Jul 13, 2010
~Bluetooth:

what implementation are you witing for ? The presidency has spoken its mind on the issue,so case closed.
The Medical sector allowance and salary was increased and yet to be implemented.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Choco5: 5:07pm On Jul 13, 2010
We dont need increase in minimum wage, we need improvement in standard of living, it doesnt matter if minimum wage is 100,000.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Dolaapo(f): 5:10pm On Jul 13, 2010
^^^^^ Gbam.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by amazonia(m): 5:22pm On Jul 13, 2010
Can anybody in nigeria tell me the current prices of building materials? things like bag of cement, roofing sheets bundle, etc, etc.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by jarkbauer: 5:24pm On Jul 13, 2010
Choco5:

We dont need increase in minimum wage, we need improvement in standard of living,  it doesnt matter if minimum wage is 100,000.
CORRECT TALK.imagine you pay a fixed 1000naira to transport yourself around lagos for a whole month,pay 2000naira for your prepaid light.500niara for water use 3500 fo feed free medical services good free public schools everything =7k.with that 17k you can do everything.shikena
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 13, 2010
OMG:::
That's like 70cents / hr. Shameful!!!

until it gets better, lets all party  grin ; http://littlemissgastronome..com/
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by jarkbauer: 5:27pm On Jul 13, 2010
labalaba:

OMG:::
That's like 70cents / hr. Shameful!!!

until it gets better, lets all party  grin ; http://littlemissgastronome..com/

what was your math grade better still who was your math teacher.he/she must have done a shoddy job
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 13, 2010
amazonia:

Can anybody in nigeria tell me the current prices of building materials? things like bag of cement, roofing sheets bundle, etc, etc.
dont tell me you are thinking of building a house with such money
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Akwasi(m): 6:19pm On Jul 13, 2010
Could someone please convert the amount to dollars for me?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Dave6: 6:42pm On Jul 13, 2010
Quote from Paddy lo
u forget to mention that that wage is also taxed to the tune of close to 40% in the USA

and it comes straight out of your paycheck. . .so in actuality u are making $4 an hour

u pay,payroll tax,income tax,state tax,medicaire tax,city tax,unemployment insurance tax. . .all from one paycheck

every paycheck u get all these taxes are deducted before u see any pay. . . .

In a system that is functioning abi?

In Nigeria Right now,

Doctors are on strike (how would such people afford to take care of any existing health problems?)

Employment is not readily available for such people to have more than one job

The salary, they will not even receive on time

these same people pay electricity bills (NEPA) and even more for fuel for generators

they will go to the same general market and buy basic things for their welfare/survival

Well, I don't know the category of workers in each grade level. I think in Nigeria, we have from grades1 to 17,
if someone has the details of these grade levels, he/she should please post it on this thread.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by princekevo(m): 6:44pm On Jul 13, 2010
Lol!!! N 17,000 minimum wage in a country where the lawmakers themselves take back home N 29,479,749 per annum
This is really a fair game.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Redman44(m): 6:50pm On Jul 13, 2010
The proposed 17,000 Naira minimum wage is too small for comfort though I must also commend the Federal Government for looking into the minimum wage issue. I don't think the Private sector will want to embrace this new wage for low level workers. Can fresh entrepreneurs and businessmen pay 17,000 Naira to cleaners, gatemen et al lipsrsealed lipsrsealed? That is why I'm not happy about the lack of accurate data and statistics in Nigeria. It would have been better if the Federal Government had carried out a thorough research to know how much Nigerians are paid in different sectors of the economy even to the Gateman or Cleaner. The data that is gathered will help the Government fix the new National Minimum wage. For those Comparing the minimum wage of Nigeria with that of the USA, it should be noted that the living standards of both countries vary. In Britain, people earning the minimum wage [ I think it is around £5.88 per hour now ] are able to survive on it and pay bills because they can buy food and basic essentials in stores like 99p shops or Aldi etc.  Western Countries also have a solid welfare system that takes care of poor people or those not in employment. Great Countries are run by gifted leaders and observance of the rule of law. Nigeria needs great and selfless leaders first. Then we can start thinking of a good standard of living. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by tunscolo(m): 6:58pm On Jul 13, 2010
Level what is the minimum wage?

Is it Level 1 or 2 or 3?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 13, 2010
tunscolo:

Level what is the minimum wage?

Is it Level 1 or 2 or 3?
level 1 and it includes messangers and other clerical staff
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kobojunkie: 7:17pm On Jul 13, 2010
Dolaapo (f)
Yankee i dey

Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense
« #50 on: Today at 02:06:46 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree that minimum wage should be minimum, but compared to the standard of living in Nigeria; it is ridiculously low.
     The minimum wage in U.S should NOT be compared to the minimum wage in Nigeria. In the U.S:
- if you fall below an income bracket, you can file for tax exemptions (so not everybody pays taxes)
- There is unemployment benefits (even though not related)
- There is welfare for low income families (it increases depending on the number of dependants that you have)
- There is tax refund for those that files
- There are food stamps
- There are living assistance for low income families (the govt pays a portion or the whole rent)
- Transportation is cheap (also govt assistance)
- There is electricity (no generator); if you can't afford electricity, govt also helps with that)
- There are charity organizations for low income families -- Churches help each week with grocery, I benefitted a great deal from such programs.
- and many more (although life in Yankee is not all that rosy)
     So please don't compare U.S and Nigeria's minimum wages because they are not in the same league. Yes, the minimum wage in America is low BUT, the govt and charitable organizations also supplement the wages. We have no such programs in Nigeria. So the govt should either increase the wages, or create such programs (17k is still better than nothing, but what is bad is bad).
     For those that insist that the minimum wages should be compared:
U.S $7/hr * 80 = 560 = 84000 (at 150 ngn exchange rate)
Nigeria = 17k NGN
also if you work over 80hrs you get paid time and a half ($7+ $3.50 = 10.50).
     How many employers in naija pays overtime?   , they work you to the bones that you end up using the salary to buy medications/hospital bills.
     @ Pro Anti, if that's the case, then minimum wage should differ from states to states (increase according to cost of living), I will repeat 17k/month is ridiculously low for workers in naija. For those shouting that it is minimum wage and not living wage; what will you do if you were in that situation? I live in yankee, but i know how many people are suffering in naija, so please get of your freaking high horses and make research (or go home to experience it first hand), instead typing rubbish on the internet. 

Thank you for taking time to educate those of us ignorant of the plight of the poor in Nigeria as against those in the US. I cannot believe some fools even attempted to compare the two. It shows how removed from reality many people are.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 13, 2010
jarkbauer:

what was your math grade better still who was your math teacher.he/she must have done a shoddy job

Mr Jarknauer, I am sorry, it seem like you are not feeling alright. well here is the breakdown
an average worker works 173 hrs/month
where $1 = N140
17000/140 = $121.4
121.4/173 = ~.70/hr.

I will assume an intellect of your level actually did the calculation before throwing out insults undecided. useless ignoramus. sheshhhh.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by kobikwelu(m): 7:34pm On Jul 13, 2010
@ post!!!

only shocked shocked shocked

though

lets not forget, its mimimum wage, not monthly salary!!!
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kilode1: 8:00pm On Jul 13, 2010
^^^ Nigeria uses monthly wages not hourly like you have in the USA, i.e #17,000/Month, and NOT #17,000/hour. it is Monthly salary! mind you it is only binding on federal workers not States or Private.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Middleman: 8:02pm On Jul 13, 2010
@ poster :  52,000 a month as minimum wage  shocked pls lets all be realistic. that will create massive inflation, drivers, security guards at homes would all require to be paid 52k a month are u kidding me?

and also the poorest of the poorest can't live on 1k a day is pure rubbish i can live on half of that n am nt poor.

17,000 is a good enough improvement atleast for now. we cant just jump to 52k in 1 day, they are other issues that needs to be addressed. constant electricity for instance will help in making life easier for a lot of people.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Igwe9(m): 10:04pm On Jul 13, 2010
My problem is not the minimum wage, but what money can buy. if only the purchasing power of the Nigeria naira could improve
No matter how much the minimum wage is, action and reaction are definitely gonna be equal and opposite, 'cos why, the prices of the goods in the market always follow suit.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by boombell: 10:11pm On Jul 13, 2010
How on earth are we comparing the Nigeria with USA.with lot of people entering the country everyday,everybody still survive or how many of them live the same way he lives while in Nigeria,yes i agree with the fact that is not easy but at the same time u cannot sleep at home and expect dollor to come in just like that.I worked with American company,what i am saving is far far better to what i av ever save while in Nigeria.
Many Nigerians put a lot of effort working back home are not finding it easy,#17,000 is less than $200,Haba is stil bad.How much den dey take feed their dogs?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by mohid(m): 10:29pm On Jul 13, 2010
Middleman:

@ poster :  52,000 a month as minimum wage  shocked pls lets all be realistic. that will create massive inflation, drivers, security guards at homes would all require to be paid 52k a month are u kidding me?

and also the poorest of the poorest can't live on 1k a day is pure rubbish i can live on half of that n am nt poor.

17,000 is a good enough improvement atleast for now. we cant just jump to 52k in 1 day, they are other issues that needs to be addressed. constant electricity for instance will help in making life easier for a lot of people.
It seems the norm on this forum is folks tend to get more popular when they condemn government than when they sound pro-government. An almost 100% increase in wages is greeted with so much apathy you just wonder. Let’s  ask ourselves, in Nigeria  how much revenue does the F.G actually generate monthly from  its parastatals that incur these huge wage bills .If we also take into consideration the recent dwindling prices of crude and stunted growth of non-oil revenue add that to the prevailing world economic situation we would  appreciate what government has done. On  the argument that the amount is not a living wage there are actually  a lot of factors at play, a federal worker earning 17k a month in Yola,Owerri  or Ilorin will definitely be more comfortable  than one in Lagos or the FCT but then am certain the civil servant in Lagos will fight tooth and nail not to be transferred to Yola because of the "runs" available in Lag and the business opportunities at his disposal, same way corp members press all the buttons they can to serve in Lagos,P.H or FCT even though they know they would still be paid the same meagre  NYSC allowance in these expensive cities. Bottom-line when govt does something commendable we should say so!
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by jarkbauer: 10:59pm On Jul 13, 2010
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 13, 2010
Plz, remove your [b]boyfriend's [/b]picture, thank you
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Dolaapo(f): 11:18pm On Jul 13, 2010
^^^^ grin shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Etc Loan Be Warned! !! / Evaluation Problem / Medical Corper Kidnapped In Ebonyi Is Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.