Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,640 members, 7,955,331 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:02 PM

The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense (9452 Views)

The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members / The Minimum Wage Should Be Implemented Now For Serving Nysc Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by NnaNna4(m): 12:25am On Jul 14, 2010
atleast sometimes we need toappreciate an increase no matter how little it is.
atleast it is better than what we were used to.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Vquest(m): 12:47am On Jul 14, 2010
Akwasi:

Could someone please convert the amount to dollars for me?

17,000 / 150 = 133 US Dollars.

@Ikengawo
"in NY i blew almost 40 dollars a day easily on public transport. you're better off having you own car, and yeah i heard they pay tax now in nigeria to. it's a great thing and im happy for the country but its no where near US tax and we both know this."

Dude, stop lying. Only the well off are spending 40 US dollars or N 6000  on transportation everyday.  Even if you live in the farthest part of Long Island, you can easily get a monthly pass for 392 US dollars or N 58800; if you live in NYC, a weekly pass will only set you back 27 dollars or N 4050.  As for the other nonsense that you've been spewing, people on minimum wage usually will find other jobs to supplement their income if they're adults. You get help from the government and plenty of non profit organizations.  What I'll say is that it's not fun to be at the bottom in any society. But, making minimum wage in America is not really comparable to making minimum wage in Nigeria.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by ElPipita(m): 2:02am On Jul 14, 2010
How much is the Federal Govt's revenue that people expect it to be paying N52,000? Simple maths will show you that the labour costs will be too much to bear if the minimum wage was 52k per year.

You are by far the most practical person that has commented,

For me minimum wage is minimum wage everywhere in the world, and we should see this as an improvement (rem this same families survived with 9,000 in the past)
p.s, Am sorry but anybody who is on minimum wage and goes ahead to start rearing kids, has only himself to blame,
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Cohomology: 5:16am On Jul 14, 2010
Anybody comparing Nigeria with the United States in terms of minimum wage and survival of the poor must belong to the esteemed club of certified idiots.

The minimum wage of N17,000 in Nigeria is a complete joke and utter nonsense!

One of the main reasons Nigeria, as it is presently constituted is likely to continue on the road to nowhere is that too many Nigerians have been brainwashed and so have bought into the failed system. These folks will defend the most ludicrous things in Nigeria, all in a foolish fit of asinine patriotism. These elements continue to defend the indefensible and so ensure that social development remains an elusive dream in Nigeria.

While our so-called leaders earn a minimum of N24,000,000 per month some goats on NL are taking their time to enlighten us of the joys of N17,000 per month.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kobojunkie: 5:19am On Jul 14, 2010
Vquest:

"in NY i blew almost 40 dollars a day easily on public transport. you're better off having you own car, and yeah i heard they pay tax now in nigeria to. it's a great thing and im happy for the country but its no where near US tax and we both know this."

WOW . .  what a lie!!! ROFLMAO!!! 40 bucks on Public Transport? Where you flying from street to street or something? Even a DAY PASS costs about 1/5th of that and that takes you everywhere you need to go in 24hours.

Visit REALITY
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 5:23am On Jul 14, 2010
Cohomology:

Anybody comparing Nigeria with the United States in terms of minimum wage and survival of the poor must belong to the esteemed club of certified idiots.

The minimum wage of N17,000 in Nigeria is a complete joke and utter nonsense!

One of the main reasons Nigeria, as it is presently constituted is likely to continue on the road to nowhere is that too many Nigerians have been brainwashed and so have bought into the failed system. These folks will defend the most ludicrous things in Nigeria, all in a foolish fit of asinine patriotism. These elements continue to defend the indefensible and so ensure that social development remains an elusive dream in Nigeria.

While our so-called leaders earn a minimum of N24,000,000 per month some goats on NL are taking their time to enlighten us of the joys of N17,000 per month.

ROTFL!! grin grin grin grin
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by texazzpete(m): 7:29am On Jul 14, 2010
Cohomology:

Yes, but you have millions of workers, and only a few thousand of the 'leaders'. How does that compute?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by jba203: 7:40am On Jul 14, 2010
Damn; i didn't know your currency was this low. In South Africa, with 17 000 Rands, u can afford to stay in a good Surbub, u can drive a BMW, GTI and even an Audi. Again, even someone who gets 8000 Rands can drive a new car and still go out to good Restaraunts. Damnit Nigeria grow.

How much is 1 Naira to 1 $? anyone?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by texazzpete(m): 8:08am On Jul 14, 2010
So let me get this clear.
The Government doubles the minimum wage and people are complaining that the recipients cannot feed thier families with that amount. Were the same people not surviving with half that amount previously? Why will they suddenly lose their ability to live and feed when that amount is doubled?

Prior to this wage increase, where were the reports of mass starvation?

17,000 naira is still a small amount, and will still see its recipients undergo some level of hardship. but it's an improvement over the previous level and is nowhere near the doomsday scenario some of you are so determined to paint.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by texazzpete(m): 8:09am On Jul 14, 2010
One more thing.
If you people know that N17000 is too low to take home, why do you constantly criticize the Nigerian police for being lawless when the average street policeman takes home around that amount?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by teekay8(m): 8:12am On Jul 14, 2010
, and the members of the house of rep are collecting about N70million every quarter of the year for fighting!!!!!!!! lipsrsealed
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by teekay8(m): 8:16am On Jul 14, 2010
@ texazzepete, are you a policeman? you might as well tell every other person that earns N17,000 to go into the streets and start harassing people for money! angry
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 14, 2010
texazzpete:

Yes, but you have millions of workers, and only a few thousand of the 'leaders'. How does that compute?

it woul cost the federal govt #233 billion annually to pay the civil servant while last year,out of 3.1 trillion passed as appropriation for the year,#1.3 trillion went for the payment of politicians' salaries aside from billions of naira that are being looted.fyi,those politicians are not up to one per cent of the population,so it's not about quantity but quality.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by otokx(m): 8:31am On Jul 14, 2010
People will always complain.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by tayoTFC(m): 8:59am On Jul 14, 2010
Some pple need to be lecture as per what the minimum wages is all about, as well as the qualification for minimum wages,
anyway, in a null shell minimum wages mean amount to be given to the lowest staff in public sector ( as per fed Govt) i.e pple without certificate, like gateman,gardner, cleaners etc, so if u are graduate ur pay will be far more than 17k.
however, what we need to ask government is to set minimum wages for difference category of graduate.i.e OND,NCE,HND/BSC, ETC, so that the pple would not be under pay,

that is my contribution,
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 14, 2010
tayoTFC:

Some pple need to be lecture as per what the minimum wages is all about, as well as the qualification for minimum wages,
anyway, in a null shell minimum wages mean amount to be given to the lowest staff in public sector ( as per fed Govt) i.e pple without certificate, like gateman,gardner, cleaners etc, so if u are graduate your pay will be far more than 17k.
however, what we need to ask government is to set minimum wages for difference category of graduate.i.e OND,NCE,HND/BSC, ETC, so that the pple would not be under pay,

that is my contribution,
tell me what a level 8 graduate will earn now since you wanna lecture us
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by tayoTFC(m): 9:07am On Jul 14, 2010
if u don't want to collect minimum wages go to university/college or poly and upgrade  yourself minimum wages is meant for kids/or school cert student that want to further there  education while doing par-time job, to support themselves so as to reduce the pressure of asking everything from there parent or family members.
u are not expected to us minimum wages to buy car,build house or feed Ur family, so ppl should update and upgrade themselves to leave a comfortable life,
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by tayoTFC(m): 9:12am On Jul 14, 2010
level 8, is a graduate graduate in a federal ministry earn more than 40k per month after tax and other deduction, excluding some benefit and allowance. do ur finding well cos my wife work with fed (civil servant ) and earn 87k per month level 8 step 3 ( fed ministry of education lagos state)
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 9:16am On Jul 14, 2010
tayoTFC:

if u don't want to collect minimum wages go to university/college or poly and upgrade  yourself minimum wages is meant for kids/or school cert student that want to further there  education while doing par-time job, to support themselves so as to reduce the pressure of asking everything from there parent or family members.
u are not expected to us minimum wages to buy car,build house or feed your family, so ppl should update and upgrade themselves to leave a comfortable life,

in your thinking,govt should only provide employment for educated nigerians and leave the uneducated ones unattended to. . .i can't imagine you are reasoning like a toddler.government may as well scrapped level 1-7 in the civil service and employ graduates as cleaners,gatemen and gardners.what might have gone wrong with division of labour in your thinking faculty.abeg just go jare.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by kaybanwo: 10:46am On Jul 14, 2010
good 1
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Ikengawo: 11:03am On Jul 14, 2010
I like how you unemployed people are doubting my own money lol.

i apologize for not buying a metrocard that will help my for a month during a 3 day trip to NY, but you know very well the cost of going for long island to brooklyn or manhattan and back, anuofia.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Bawss1(m): 11:23am On Jul 14, 2010
People will always complain about how little the minimum wage is. Instead of running their mouths they should get their acts together and improve themselves then they can make some more money. C'mon hustle folks! The moment you accept the fact that government isn't Santa Claus the better for you.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Dave6: 11:53am On Jul 14, 2010
Quote from Texazzpete
One more thing.
If you people know that N17000 is too low to take home, why do you constantly criticize the Nigerian police for being lawless when the average street policeman takes home around that amount?
[code][/code]

So what could be a solution to the policeman's lawlessness?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by ud4u: 12:01pm On Jul 14, 2010
17k per month, what about those that did not even see 17k per month, those in private companies like securities cleaners and rest of them that recieves 10k or less than that per month? what do we then call their pay, under-minimun wage Have we even forgotten that it is not even easy to get into government ministries this days without a godfather

Nigeria are far behind
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by obiflex: 12:15pm On Jul 14, 2010
So if the MINIMUM WAGE only applies to the FED GOVT workers why are we all getting worked up? i THINK UNTIL THE GOVT PROVIDES A MINIMUM WAGE FOR ALL WORKERS FED, STATE, LG AND PRIVATE I DONT THINK ITS WORTH IT because IT DOES NOT ADDRESS THE EXPLOITATION OFNIGERIAN WORKERS
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Dolaapo(f): 1:32pm On Jul 14, 2010
The people clamouring that didn't the workers survive before the increase: FYI, they didn't, they could hardly eat 1 meal a day talkless of 3-square meals. An increase will not make any difference because the market women will also increase their prices (Garri used to be poor man's food, now, it's ridiculously expensive). Most of these lv1 workers are college graduates not only high school grads (because of the high unemployment rate).
The best and appropriate solution is for the govt to increase standard of living and provide the basic amenities of life (affordable food, constant electricity, affordable housing, security, e.t.c), and in a country like Nigeria, it won't be possible unless the people stand up with one voice and start rejecting this mediocre standard of living.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by GAR3TH(m): 1:54pm On Jul 14, 2010
minimum wages explains its self. . .its the lowest amount of money that will get you through. . .minimum wage is ment for your NEEDS in life. . .such as paying for food, Water, bills, Cheap Clothes, etc. . .It Is NOT MEANT FOR LUXURIES WANTS. . . .Such as TV, car, fine clothes, etc. . . .Minimum wage is just so you can get by through life until you can find a job. . .so why the complaining?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 14, 2010
@ jarkbauer WTH??  shocked respectively take down the picture!!!! I have been known to hunt pple.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 4:30pm On Jul 14, 2010
tayoTFC:

anyway, i[b]n a null shell minimum wages mean amount to be given to the lowest staff in public sector ( as per fed Govt) i.e pple without certificate, like gateman,gardner, cleaners etc, so if u are graduate your pay will be far more than 17k.[/b]

that is my contribution,

Even giving that to a gate-man, security and all those uh ave mentioned is nonsense.
how could a man secure the gate of the govt when he is hungry, how cld a gardener cut the grass well, when the school fees of his kids are yet to be paid, tell a cleaner to clean when how he or she will eat dinner is still a misery.
17K Naira to someone in a month after doing all you have listed is ought to be termed slavery.
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Kobojunkie: 4:38pm On Jul 14, 2010
Ikengawo:

I like how you unemployed people are doubting my own money lol.

i apologize for not buying a metrocard that will help my for a month during a 3 day trip to NY, but you know very well the cost of going for long island to brooklyn or manhattan and back, anuofia.

Now I have serious doubts you have even been to NY as you claim. You have never heard of day passes? ROFLMAO!!!

1-Day Fun Pass
Cost: $8.25, reduced fare not available
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides from first use until 3 a.m. the following day. Sold at MetroCard Vending Machines and at neighborhood stores. Not available at station booths.

Where to Buy | Back to top

7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard
Cost: $27, reduced fare $13.50
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.

14-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard
Cost: $51.50, reduced fare $25.75
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 14 days from day of first use. This card is protected against loss of theft when purchased at a vending machine with a creditor debit/ATM card.

30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard
Cost: $89, reduced fare $44.50
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 30 days from day of first use. This card is protected against loss of theft when purchased at a vending machine with a creditor debit/ATM card.

7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCard
Cost: $45, no reduced fare
Good for unlimited express bus, local bus, and subway rides until midnight, 7 days from first use. This card is protected against loss of theft when purchased at a vending machine with a creditor debit/ATM card.

Confess already!! You have never been to NY,NY or any other metro area that has some good transport system in place?
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Fhemmmy: 5:30pm On Jul 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Now I have serious doubts you have even been to NY as you claim. You have never heard of day passes? ROFLMAO!!!

Confess already!! You have never been to NY,NY or any other metro area that has some good transport system in place?

Lol . . . . It is funny how some people easily and always wanna compare what is not comparable
Re: The Minimum Wage Of N17, 000 Is Nonsense by Agibecky: 5:58pm On Jul 14, 2010
Do you know that thousands of secondary school leavers who cannot gain admission into higher institutions need jobs and many of them are paid as little as N5,000 monthly salaries in Lagos and other places. My friend pays his receptionist N8, 000 monthly and thank God her residence is not far from the office.

Majority of the civil servants in Nigeria are going to depend on the minimum wage and those with families will have no choice but to use their children and other dependants to hawk goods on the street.
Monday night on the way home from work at about 10.33 pm, I saw children still hawking at the Maryland bus near Ikeja and I told an elderly woman hawking with them to go home and sleep. She looked at me and continued with her work.

Today I went to the Tejuoso market in Yaba and I saw hundreds of boys and girls selling petty goods and the Igbo boys engaged in their rag trade of second hand clothes and other goods. I was heartbroken, because many of them have better dreams than petty trading.
I saw depression written on the faces of hundreds of traders and shoppers. I saw pretty girls and handsome boys struggling for survival and JAMB reported today that there is no space for 340, 000 successful UTME candidates and lest we forget hundreds of thousands of graduates and millions of secondary school leavers are jobless.

I returned to the office feeling depressed, because of the bleak future of the poor masses and their children.

If we sack the ruling megalomaniac party and set up a government without a National Assembly, we are going to save trillions of naira to invest in human capital development and develop a 21st century economy to provide better living wages for majority of Nigerians.
It is possible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NYSC Maduguri Camp To Re-open Soon – DG / Accredited NYSC Online Registration Centres In Lagos / Prosecute Killers Of NYSC Members, Official Tells Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.