Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. (9034 Views)

Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? / 5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by aAK1(m): 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2018
I may be wrong based on my location. I stay in Abuja and honestly you can count 50 cars pass by before spotting a BMW. Even using nairaland (auto section) as a yardstick,it's almost impossible to see anyone on sale. What really could be driving the low interest in BMW cars?

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Kamalu5258(m): 5:39pm On Oct 09, 2018
Reason being that most Nigerians have been brainwashed that Toyotas are the real deal, they no longer want to enjoy driving

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by RZArecta2(m): 7:47pm On Oct 09, 2018
Been seeing lots of COJA BMW's these days though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by aAK1(m): 7:53pm On Oct 09, 2018
RZArecta2:
Been seeing lots of COJA BMW's these days though
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 09, 2018
Kamalu5258:
Reason being that most Nigerians have been brainwashed that Toyotas are the real deal, they no longer want to enjoy driving

So somebody should carry wahala and put for head just because he wants to enjoy driving. Abeegi, if Nigerians are brainwashed then Americans are also brainwashed because Toyota will sell 20 cars before BMW sell 1 car in the US. As at 2017 bmw has 1.77% market share in the us while Toyota has 12.35% market share.

BMW make solid cars, with top class luxury and performance features, but u are better off buying them when new before parts start falling apart because those things are expensive to fix and bmw are not known for their reliability. Most cars that come into nigeria are used cars, some 10-15 and even 20 yrs old. So u cannot expect someone save to buy a used car to now come and go and buy a used bmw that will send him back to the village. If u are rich enough buy them and enjoy life, if ur a hustler better buy something that is more reliable and easier to fix.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by uboma(m): 8:15pm On Oct 09, 2018
aAK1:
I may be wrong based on my location. I stay in Abuja and honestly you can count 50 cars pass by before spotting a BMW. Even using nairaland (auto section) as a yardstick,it's almost impossible to see anyone on sale. What really could be driving the low interest in BMW cars?

BMW cars can never go extinct.

Me thinks it depends on your location. Where is your location in Abuja?

There are BMW car users that ply the city of Abuja on a daily basis.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:18pm On Oct 09, 2018
Because used BMWs are money pits. Like the guy above said, it's not a Nigerian issue. They aren't popular in the US either.

Mercedes>>BMW.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Kamalu5258(m): 9:01pm On Oct 09, 2018
greenhulk:

So somebody should carry wahala and put for head just because he wants to enjoy driving. Abeegi, if Nigerians are brainwashed then Americans are also brainwashed because Toyota will sell 20 cars before BMW sell 1 car in the US. As at 2017 bmw has 1.77% market share in the us while Toyota has 12.35% market share.

BMW make solid cars, with top class luxury and performance features, but u are better off buying them when new before parts start falling apart because those things are expensive to fix and bmw are not known for their reliability. Most cars that come into nigeria are used cars, some 10-15 and even 20 yrs old. So u cannot expect someone save to buy a used car to now come and go and buy a used bmw that will send him back to the village. If u are rich enough buy them and enjoy life, if ur a hustler better buy something that is more reliable and easier to fix.

That's your perception sir, BMWs are even more reliable and their parts are cheaper than those Toyotas, it's just that Nigerians refuse to want to learn to understand cars with new technologies. I know you'll argue that Toyota parts are cheaper but remember that the ones you buy in the open market are mostly fake Chinese parts try to buy OEM Toyota parts and you'll never want to touch another Toyota in your life. It's easier to come across OEM parts for European cars as against Japanese brands. I'll always pick European ride over a Japmobile anytime any day the Japs lack build quality and refined engineering.
Argue with your keyboard

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 09, 2018
Kamalu5258:

That's your perception sir, BMWs are even more reliable and their parts are cheaper than those Toyotas, it's just that Nigerians refuse to want to learn to understand cars with new technologies. I know you'll argue that Toyota parts are cheaper but remember that the ones you buy in the open market are mostly fake Chinese parts try to buy OEM Toyota parts and you'll never want to touch another Toyota in your life. It's easier to come across OEM parts for European cars as against Japanese brands. I'll always pick European ride over a Japmobile anytime any day the Japs lack build quality and refined engineering.
Argue with your keyboard

Ja ja ja, there's a reason used BMWs are money pits. U are free to buy whatever u like, after all it's ur money. Most people that buy used BMWs are enthusiasts, and unfortunately only a small amount of the population are enthusiasts. Most people just want something that would take them from point a to point b with moderate luxury and performance, shikena. Did I hear u say BMWs are reliable? U do know a 10 yr old BMW lose more value than a 10 yr old Toyota or Lexus for a reason.

And all oem parts are not cheap, but oem Toyota and Lexus parts are cheaper than oem BMW parts of the same year and class. You can say the Japs lack build and refined engineering but they sell like pure water allover the US, those Americans that buy them most be 1diots I guess. BMWs and Toyotas have their target markets, they have their pros and cons, no such thing as a perfect car so no point downgrading one for another.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by mammanbawa: 10:35pm On Oct 09, 2018
greenhulk:

Ja ja ja, there's a reason used BMWs are money pits. U are free to buy whatever u like, after all it's ur money. Most people that buy used BMWs are enthusiasts, and unfortunately only a small amount of the population are enthusiasts. Most people just want something that would take them from point a to point b with moderate luxury and performance, shikena. Did I hear u say BMWs are reliable? U do know a 10 yr old BMW lose more value than a 10 yr old Toyota or Lexus for a reason.

And all oem parts are not cheap, but oem Toyota and Lexus parts are cheaper than oem BMW parts of the same year and class. You can say the Japs lack build and refined engineering but they sell like pure water allover the US, those Americans that buy them most be 1diots I guess. BMWs and Toyotas have their target markets, they have their pros and cons, no such thing as a perfect car so no point downgrading one for another.
European cars in general are termed money pits mostly by their abusers
Like the other dude said
OEM European car parts cost less than OEM Japanese car parts
Imagine OEM Toyota Sienna shock absorber going for as much as 30k+
OP
I don't know where you live in Abuja o
But I tell you they're not going extinct
People are getting to know the brand's value gradually
The population of E60s has improved lately
Same with the E90
Countless f10s are on the road
Not to mention the F01
Why the European cars lose value faster is because we lack knowledge on those cars
They're way too advanced for most of our mechanics
And also
They're not as cheap as their jap counterparts
They're a true value of their money and not some plastic piece of crap
Compare the C class to the Corolla
They should be on the same level as entry level compact sedans
Lemme say the CLA sef
You'll get to know what driving actually is when you drive a real European car
Especially a BMW
The ultimate driving machine

10 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 11:11pm On Oct 09, 2018
mammanbawa:

European cars in general are termed money pits mostly by their abusers
Like the other dude said
OEM European car parts cost less than OEM Japanese car parts
Imagine OEM Toyota Sienna shock absorber going for as much as 30k+
OP
I don't know where you live in Abuja o
But I tell you they're not going extinct
People are getting to know the brand's value gradually
The population of E60s has improved lately
Same with the E90
Countless f10s are on the road
Not to mention the F01
Why the European cars lose value faster is because we lack knowledge on those cars
They're way too advanced for most of our mechanics
And also
They're not as cheap as their jap counterparts
They're a true value of their money and not some plastic piece of crap
Compare the C class to the Corolla
They should be on the same level as entry level compact sedans
Lemme say the CLA sef
You'll get to know what driving actually is when you drive a real European car
Especially a BMW
The ultimate driving machine

If u think 30k is too expensive for shocks of Toyota sienna, why don't u find out how much the shocks of BMW 2 series grand tourer cost, at least that is a BMW mini van/mpv than can be compared to sienna. Find out how much it's shock costs vs the corresponding sienna of the same year then we start talking.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:30am On Oct 10, 2018
Lots of BS in this thread. Let's call a spade, a spade, people. BMWs are expensive to own. Fin!

Even maintenance culture aside, the damn cars aren't built to be reliable. There's nothing wrong with admitting to that. It doesn't make you any less a fan of German cars.

Engine defects, shite cooling systems, VANOS, etc. Lots of things go wrong on these cars, even with proper maintenance. Stop supporting nonsense. angry

If you doubt, ask King406 about his 5-series (I think) that he didn't use at all because it was turning into a money pit.

And don't tell me there are people who drive their Beemers into the 300k mile range. That's completely anecdotal, and even the most unreliable car brands have special cases like that.

10 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by diportivo: 6:57am On Oct 10, 2018
slowly and surely

it will become a Toyota Vs the rest thread

I no know wetin Una dey see for inside this Toyota sef undecided

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by CityNGR: 1:09pm On Oct 10, 2018
I'd rather drive a Merc. I don't understand BMW's and I am not ready to learn BMW or Toyota.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by king406(m): 5:49pm On Oct 10, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
Lots of BS in this thread. Let's call a spade, a spade, people. BMWs are expensive to own. Fin!

Even maintenance culture aside, the damn cars aren't built to be reliable. There's nothing wrong with admitting to that. It doesn't make you any less a fan of German cars.

Engine defects, shite cooling systems, VANOS, etc. Lots of things go wrong on these cars, even with proper maintenance. Stop supporting nonsense. angry

If you doubt, ask King406 about his 5-series (I think) that he didn't use at all because it was turning into a money pit.

And don't tell me there are people who drive their Beemers into the 300k mile range. That's completely anecdotal, and even the most unreliable car brands have special cases like that.
I had a 2011 E92 335i, bought directly from a US car dealer (not auction). It had about 55k miles on it, car was nice and quick. It bothered me with its heating issues which i was well aware of that bmw’s from 1998-2012 usually had. First incident happened on my way to kaduna where the car overheated, i took it to my mechanic and we didnt find anything wrong. Car was ok for about a month before the same experience occured again on the same road. At this time i was starting to get fed up because i consider myself a car enthusiast and i must confess i drive fast on that abj-kd road. after overtaking so many people who think their cars are fast, my car now breaks down and i watch the same people pass me by from the side of the road, i felt embarrassed. I decided to replace the entire cooling system, nothing happened for the next 2 months and note that i had another car, a 2006 c230 sport so the bmw wasnt a daily driver. My brother borrowed the car before calling me that the car has broke down with smoke coming out of the bonnet, it overheated again and he didnt notice fast enough until the head gasket blew. At this point i have had enough, i didnt trust the car again but still i decided to fix it and i read somewhere online that i should buy a headgasket that is thicker than the stock gasket. I really wasnt looking forward to experimenting anything without guarantee and so i sold the car together with my c230 and bought myself a 2011 E350 sport which i have been using for 1year 2months now without any incident. It is my daily driver and also what i use to travel. I must say that car may look all flashy and all but it is actually a tank grin. That is my story.

25 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:33pm On Oct 10, 2018
king406:
I had a 2011 E92 335i, bought directly from a US car dealer (not auction). It had about 55k miles on it, car was nice and quick. It bothered me with its heating issues which i was well aware of that bmw’s from 1998-2012 usually had. First incident happened on my way to kaduna where the car overheated, i took it to my mechanic and we didnt find anything wrong. Car was ok for about a month before the same experience occured again on the same road. At this time i was starting to get fed up because i consider myself a car enthusiast and i must confess i drive fast on that abj-kd road. after overtaking so many people who think their cars are fast, my car now breaks down and i watch the same people pass me by from the side of the road, i felt embarrassed. I decided to replace the entire cooling system, nothing happened for the next 2 months and note that i had another car, a 2006 c230 sport so the bmw wasnt a daily driver. My brother borrowed the car before calling me that the car has broke down with smoke coming out of the bonnet, it overheated again and he didnt notice fast enough until the head gasket blew. At this point i have had enough, i didnt trust the car again but still i decided to fix it and i read somewhere online that i should buy a headgasket that is thicker than the stock gasket. I really wasnt looking forward to experimenting anything without guarantee and so i sold the car together with my c230 and bought myself a 2011 E350 sport which i have been using for 1year 2months now without any incident. It is my daily driver and also what i use to travel. I must say that car may look all flashy and all but it is actually a tank grin. That is my story.

Correct guy. Thanks for narrating.

This, OP, is why no one buys BMWs anymore.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by laivwire(m): 12:26am On Oct 11, 2018
I love BMWs and I have gone through a few. Used BMWs can be unreliable and thats a fact. Poor owner maintenance aside, they are known to start falling apart after 100k miles and the parts are quite costly $$$. Even those who venture into BMWs run with their tails between their legs when service and maintenance costs hit them. The rapid loss in resale value is also appalling.

On another note, I feel the new model BMW design and build is nothing compared to what her close competitor: Mercedes Benz is doing at the moment. The CLA, SLS, C300s are just too sweet. Even the sport range have lost personality focus in a way. (Chris Harris has more on that story)

Despite all of that though, I still love my Beemer especially the gas guzzling, six plugs variety and I'm willing to pay the cost of keeping it on the road. Sadly, a vast majority of Nigerian car users don't think the same way.

and yes, I consider myself a BMW enthusiast.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by sooperrescue(m): 3:50am On Oct 11, 2018
What do you expect from a car that requires premium unleaded fuel only and you use the lowest octane rating available? That's why the cars are no longer visible on the road. They are parked safely in the workshop or in the house of the owner. King406, were you using Castrol engine oil when you had the BMW? Have you ever asked if BMW uses engine oil that is for petrol and diesel or for gasoline engine only. Not all Castrol are Castrol especially the ones sold locally that is api sn and ilsac 4. The cars are still on the road, especially the new ones and if we ask, where is the vboot, regular Benz that every roadside mechanic can relate to, The Passats, the Bora and the acura? They have all Gone with the wind.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Originalsly: 4:04am On Oct 11, 2018
Back to the topic....... people are not buying BMW's as often as they were in the past. The ones that you were seeing often are now parked because the owners have given up on them. BMW's have become more complicated ... overloaded with technology.....more unreliable and more expensive to maintain. When something goes wrong.....forget about the expense....who is going to fix it? My work mate bought a brand new 2017 BMW 7 series..... it shut down twice on him that I know of.....the dealership replaced the fuel pump...it shut down again....something else....and these are BMW trained service people. My mechanic friend...said pretty much said the same....BMW's are unreliable...they just shut down without warning. Also said the engines are difficult to work on...lack of space...that I saw for myself....should a nail fall on a BMW engine...it is not likely to find its wat to the ground.To change almost any part. ..a whole lot of other parts have to be moved...the reason he said he told one guy USD$600 to change a sensor....the guy immediately said go ahead which suprised him. After the job was done...it was then the guy told him the dealership was charging him $1100. You need deep pockets to maintain a BMW.
Lastly.... why don't we ever see explorers using BMWs?

8 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by king406(m): 5:23am On Oct 11, 2018
sooperrescue:
What do you expect from a car that requires premium unleaded fuel only and you use the lowest octane rating available? That's why the cars are no longer visible on the road. They are parked safely in the workshop or in the house of the owner. King406, were you using Castrol engine oil when you had the BMW? Have you ever asked if BMW uses engine oil that is for petrol and diesel or for gasoline engine only. Not all Castrol are Castrol especially the ones sold locally that is api sn and ilsac 4. The cars are still on the road, especially the new ones and if we ask, where is the vboot, regular Benz that every roadside mechanic can relate to, The Passats, the Bora and the acura? They have all Gone with the wind.
are you saying that fuel octane level can cause a bmw to overheat? Like i said, i consider myself a car enthusiast and i dont play with my cars, i make sure they are properly maintained, i make sure i know about a car inside out before i decide on owning it. Therefore, the question about using the right engine oil or not is out of the question because best believe i use manufacturer recommended parts and fluids. Octane rating is a big deal, but i didnt know it could cause overheating, please clarify this. I only know turbochargered cars are less tolerant to low octane levels which causes engine defects either on the turbochargers or from the block itself. It was one of the things i looked at before making up my mind on getting the car.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 6:16am On Oct 11, 2018
king406:

A tank meaning it does not move well?
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:49am On Oct 11, 2018
Pipedreams:

A tank meaning it does not move well?

Meaning it's reliable and doesn't break down easily.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by sooperrescue(m): 7:28am On Oct 11, 2018
king406:
are you saying that fuel octane level can cause a bmw to overheat? Like i said, i consider myself a car enthusiast and i dont play with my cars, i make sure they are properly maintained, i make sure i know about a car inside out before i decide on owning it. Therefore, the question about using the right engine oil or not is out of the question because best believe i use manufacturer recommended parts and fluids. Octane rating is a big deal, but i didnt know it could cause overheating, please clarify this. I only know turbochargered cars are less tolerant to low octane levels which causes engine defects either on the turbochargers or from the block itself. It was one of the things i looked at before making up my mind on getting the car.
I meant that you were using the wrong engine oil for the BMW

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Kamalu5258(m): 8:08am On Oct 11, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Engine defects, shite cooling systems, VANOS, etc. Lots of things go wrong on these cars, even with proper maintenance. Stop supporting nonsense. angry please does he want to sell his 5 series? I want to buy

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Kamalu5258(m): 8:10am On Oct 11, 2018
king406:
when you say overheating, did the needle get to the red zone?
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by mammanbawa: 9:40am On Oct 11, 2018
greenhulk:

If u think 30k is too expensive for shocks of Toyota sienna, why don't u find out how much the shocks of BMW 2 series grand tourer cost, at least that is a BMW mini van/mpv than can be compared to sienna. Find out how much it's shock costs vs the corresponding sienna of the same year then we start talking.
The sienna I'm talking about is a 2002 model
The BMW 2 series was not produced until 2014

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:53am On Oct 11, 2018
mammanbawa:

There you go

Lol, are you serious?

Sienna is a pair for $340.
BMW is a single strut for £144, or $190. That's $380 for a pair.

How is the BMW cheaper?

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 11, 2018
mammanbawa:

There you go

Next time when making price comparison, it's better to compare from same seller as different sellers on eBay sell at different prices. For example the same pair oem struts for 04-06 sienna is sold for $189.65 on eBay from the picture below.

Even going with what u posted, if a single strut of BMW is £144.83, that means a pair is £289.66 which is equivalent to $382.24. So how is the BMW cheaper?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

David Oyedepo Car Collection: Why He Has So Many Luxury Cars? / Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? / Traffic Offences In Lagos State According To Lastma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.