Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:42 PM

Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? (9036 Views)

Iceland Tests ‘floating’ Zebra Crossing To Slow Down Speeding Drivers / How Nigerian Drivers Damage Nigerian Roads With Winter Tyres / Are Nigerian Drivers Graduating From Double Parking To Triple Parking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by jaykaylegend(m): 9:19am On Jun 08, 2016
I've always wondered why Nigerian drivers don't acknowledge zebra crossing lines in Nigeria...

for example, yesterday I wanted to cross a road, me and a couple of others had started crossing on the zebra lines when some motorists started speeding towards us and they even abused us that if we want to die she should go to our houses and die ooooo...

though its not the first time it is happening to me but I often wonder why most drivers don't acknowledge it...

is it due to negligence or ignorance??

lalasticlala, marpol, mynd44

11 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Blizzy9ja: 9:40am On Jun 08, 2016
Do you know what that is? Did you attend a driving school?
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 08, 2016
Are you a Zebra? We don't have much zebras in this part of the world. grin

On a serious note sad , as long as there are no strict sanctions for violating traffic laws, they will continue to be broken.

35 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by AfroMighty(m): 9:50am On Jun 08, 2016
80% of Nigeria drivers know nothing like traffic rules and signs. So don't try mess with them all in the name of you are literate and you know traffic rules and regulations. You will just get killed

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by lonelydora: 10:12am On Jun 08, 2016
Because most drivers see it as 'Tom Tom' advert.

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by timilehing(m): 1:03pm On Jun 08, 2016
It says "Zebra Crossing" not human crossing grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 08, 2016
To the thread starter...

...you can see why Nigerian motorists don't pay attention to zebra crossings. Go through the responses here. Something so critical, and vital to human safety is turned into a joke. This is why casualties will continue.

There's a time and place for jokes, this isn't one of them.

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by nurey(m): 5:30pm On Jun 08, 2016
When I see a lot of people trying to cross the zebra crossing I always make it a point of duty to wait if it's not an express Road and if the street light isn't green.

Sometimes when I wait at the zebra crossing, the other Lane doesn't wait so I get cursed by drivers from behind. But the issue is 99% of Nigerian drivers are in a hurry and don't like matching brake reason why they don't have patient and always drive cars like weapon of road destruction

17 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by ireneony(f): 6:26pm On Jun 08, 2016
Do we even have any..
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by jaykaylegend(m): 9:47pm On Jun 08, 2016
ireneony:
Do we even have any..
we have plenty..

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 6:54am On Jun 09, 2016
some people dont no the meaning of zebra crossing that why

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by DICKtator: 6:54am On Jun 09, 2016
Nothing really works in Nigeria.

No sanctions or well known prosecution of offenders!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by brunofarad(m): 6:54am On Jun 09, 2016
I think its because its made for

ZEBRAS grin

grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by CountDracula(m): 6:55am On Jun 09, 2016
Cos we don't av zebras in nigeria... undecided do we?
I've never seen a zebra bfor, if dey put goat or rat crossing we will pay attention

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by guywitzerogal(m): 6:55am On Jun 09, 2016
Because it's a borrowed course......

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by coolfredo(m): 6:57am On Jun 09, 2016
Zebra has to wait till a car drive pass.... it my Birthday today abeg make una show me small love

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Nobody: 6:58am On Jun 09, 2016
1. There is no rule of law in Nigeria
2. Most Nigerian road users (including pedestrians) are either totally mad or half mad
3. The zebra crossings are "strategically" placed in very stupid places.

In summary, Nigeria is just a very anyhow country.

13 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Isoni(m): 6:59am On Jun 09, 2016
Cow crossing would have been most appropriate
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by wintersnow(m): 6:59am On Jun 09, 2016
That black and white thing? No be Tom Tom advert

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by nwannemous(m): 7:00am On Jun 09, 2016
Just passing
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by sokera: 7:00am On Jun 09, 2016
The fact is every zebra crossing should have a traffic light , you can't just jump on the road because you see the zebra crossing sigh but it is in Nigeria you see a zebra crossing sigh without a traffic light ...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by AlexCk: 7:00am On Jun 09, 2016
Zebra crossings wey don fade finish.

Some drivers no dey obey traffic lights, hw dey wan cum chill for d zebra crossing.

Maybe "tiger stripes " go mk sense pass d zebra crossing, dem no dey fear zebra, dem go fear tiger grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by goodforsomthing: 7:01am On Jun 09, 2016
ireneony:
Do we even have any..

You must be
living inside the bush o

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Rick9(m): 7:01am On Jun 09, 2016
Lawless country
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by okotorigba(m): 7:01am On Jun 09, 2016
in most cases there are no signs showing that you are approaching a zebra crossing.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 09, 2016
jaykaylegend:
I've always wondered why Nigerian drivers don't acknowledge zebra crossing lines in Nigeria...

for example, yesterday I wanted to cross a road, me and a couple of others had started crossing on the zebra lines when some motorists started speeding towards us and they even abused us that if we want to die she should go to our houses and die ooooo...

though its not the first time it is happening to me but I often wonder why most drivers don't acknowledge it...

is it due to negligence or ignorance??

lalasticlala, marpol, mynd44

Are you a Zebra? Lols
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by Olumoze(m): 7:02am On Jun 09, 2016
Our attention at driving is poor
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by ibez007(m): 7:03am On Jun 09, 2016
Zebra crossing keh?!, for where?

Nigeria?!

**puueeh...

Even, If every driver Follows traffic rules........

Beware of DANGOTE.

**ar don talk My own b dat.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by goodforsomthing: 7:03am On Jun 09, 2016
coolfredo:
Zebra has to wait till a car drive pass.... it my Birthday today abeg make una show me small love

Enjoy your day,it is well with you

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by laurel03(m): 7:04am On Jun 09, 2016
wintersnow:
That black and white thing? No be Tom Tom advert
yes na that Tom Tom color on our road be zebra crossing.. Nothing concern 9ja drivers with highway code..
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by naptu2: 7:04am On Jun 09, 2016
There are speed bumps before the zebra crossings on Admiralty Road, the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge and Alexander Avenue, yet you see some drivers trying to "jump" the speed bump and thus endangering pedestrians. Some of them accelerate when they see the speed bumps and zebra crossing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? by laikas: 7:04am On Jun 09, 2016
jst lyk the saying "Nigeria is a zoo"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. / Traffic Offences In Lagos State According To Lastma / All About Davido’s Father: Cars, Houses, Private Jet, Net Worth And Rare Facts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.