Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,774 members, 7,820,710 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism (1431 Views)

Presidency Rubbishes Oby Ezekwesili’s Criticism As An “unclear Elitist Summary” / Islam Is A Religion Of Peace And Political Stability Globally - Cramjones / Youths And Political Thuggery In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by Jarus(m): 10:02am On Jul 13, 2010
I had little challenge titling this thread. A lot of titles came to my head. First I wanted to use, How Not to Criticize or How Not to be a Radical, but that appears too leading and conclusive. Also hovering around my head was 'Who is a progressive? or Who is a radical?', before I eventually settled for the above.

Let me set the background by asking these questions:
-Who is a critic?
-Must a critic criticize always?
-Should a critic keep silent if he sees government do something right?
-If a critic, suddenly and out of character, praises a government, has he automatically become a sell-out?
-Who is a radical?
-Who is a progressive? Are Dino Melaye and co progressives?
-Must a radical or progressive or critic believe he's right always? What of differing opinions?
-Is there anything like separating message from messenger?
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by Jarus(m): 10:02am On Jul 13, 2010
PRACTICAL CASES FROM NIGERIAN POLITICAL SCENE
-TAI SOLARIN: The man was a fierce critic of the government. Everybody accepted he was a radical, a progressive, a man on the side of the masses. He was known for his spartan lifestyle, for his dress style of simple jacket and shorts like those of colonial era policemen. He soon took up government job, under IBB, as Chairman of People's bank, I think. For the first time, he was seen in agbada. Nigerians went to town. Tai Solarin was accused of dumping his radical bend and now playing along. Do you agree this act expunged his radicalism bend?

-DR. OLU ONAGORUWA: He used to be a human rights activist, a respected lawyer. He later accepted job as Attorney General under Abacha regime. That dented his credential. Although he later fell out with Abacha, to the extent that Abacha's killer squad got rid of his 29-year old medical doctor son. is Onagoruwa still a radical to you?

-GANI FAWEHINMI AND THE MARWA RAM: Sometime in 1998 I think, then Lagos state governor, Col Buba Marwa, sent out Rams as gifts to prominent Lagos Muslims, including Gani Fawehinmi. Of course, Gani was never a friend of the government. He not only rejected the gift but invited the media men to witness the rejection. Questions: Was this in order? Was this not an unnecessary alarmism? If Gani accepted the gift, will he diminish in value as a human righst activist in your reckoning?
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by Jarus(m): 10:03am On Jul 13, 2010
WOLE SOYINKA AND IBB'S TEA: Recently there were media reports of how WS and some AC Chieftains left Adam Oshiomole's 'one man, one vote' rally for teh fact that IBB was present. Reports later had it that WS and IBB had earlier met in the same lounge and even took tea together. One writer, Kola Oyeyemi, made a story out of this and accused WS of hypocrisy, that he never mentioned in his interview with the press at the airport on his departure from Benin that he met IBB earlier. Now questions: If WS had attended same rally with IBB, will you still see him as a progressive?

ADAM OSHIOMOLE: Comrade governor of Edo state, Adam Oshiomole, is respected for his being on the side of the masses always. He was(and is still by my people) seen as a radical, progressive. With Oshiomole's recent romance with IBB, has he, in your honest reckoning, lost your respect as a pro-masses progressive?

ATTAHIRU JEGA: The wide adulations that this man received on his appointment as INEC boss showed what radicalism can do for you. This is just a point by the way worth mentioning here.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by Jarus(m): 10:07am On Jul 13, 2010
THE COLUMNIST AS A CRITIC
In Nigeria, columnists, especially those that write on political happenings, are generally seen as critics. Well, they are not seen as one, that's in fact what they do. Now if a columnist praises government, does he lose your respect? Should a columnist that has been criticizing government keep silent when he sees a right done by the government he criticizes? Has he become a sell-out if that happens?

CRITICISMS ON NAIRALAND POLITICS SECTION:
In a country where more bad events occur than good ones, it is fair to accept that criticizing and lamenting among Nigerians is not out of place. Like in the real Nigerian world, any discussion of politics borders on criticism. NL is no different. Some posters are however more known for the fierce way they criticize(and they are entitled to that), some are subtle critics, some mix criticisms with praising when they feel there is need for it, some are here only to praise, some even obviously PR agents for some people(see my expose on Saraki agents: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-464911.0.html). But I'm not interested in the last class here.

I for one have never seen myself as a critic. Rather I prefer public affairs commentator. I praise(whether government or individual) whenever I see something I find impressive done, and I criticize whenever I see an act that is condemnable. My good friend, Mbulela, notices this very well and he has misunderstood me as a person of double identity - a critic and a praise singer. He says I excessively praise people, so my criticism at times is questionable. But I have never seen myself as a critic in the first place, but I try to be a progressive.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by Jarus(m): 10:09am On Jul 13, 2010
Lively discussion is welcomed. From the general perception of criticism to criticism as it is done on Nairaland. All issues I identified are open for debate.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by mbulela: 11:15am On Jul 13, 2010
will be with you shortly.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by Jarus(m): 11:23am On Jul 13, 2010
mbulela:

will be with you shortly.
No wahala
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by sd6: 1:30pm On Jul 13, 2010
This is more philosophical than political. It is understandable that people expect the critics and radicals to be unreservedly dogged and rugged and as such must not acquiesce to the whims of unpopular governance . The masses refuse to take cognizance of the "human" aspect of these individuals havin developed personality cult for them. They neglect the relative subjectivity and volatility of human idiosyncracy and are dissapointed when these men exhibit such human compromises.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by Jarus(m): 1:50pm On Jul 13, 2010
sd-6:

This is more philosophical than political. It is understandable that people expect the critics and radicals to be unreservedly dogged and rugged and as such must not acquiesce to the whims of unpopular governance . The masses refuse to take cognizance of the "human" aspect of these individuals havin developed personality cult for them. They neglect the relative subjectivity and volatility of human idiosyncracy and are dissapointed when these men exhibit such human compromises.
Oh, this summarizes my take. The rate with which people suddenly change opinion about the so called 'radicals or critics' is the main reason I don't try to be one or be seen as one. People regulate your reason. If you say a word that they say see as 'out of character', you are suddenly expunged from reckoning and respect.

For knowing Iwu alone, some people are questioning the so-called radicalism of Attahiru Jega as if radicals are from another planet and are not meant to interact with other people.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by sd6: 11:47pm On Jul 13, 2010
I have once opined in my philosophy that all men are bad. That men are only good when they do good and are seen as bad when they do bad to the same men to whom they did good. Consider another element in this scenario: an activist says while making a speech that he can give his life to ensure that justice is done and suddenly gun shots are heard all over the arena. Would he for the sake of being an activist not scamper for safety? And if he does, does that change his activist inclinations? People dont realize the "human" in humans.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by Jarus(m): 9:45am On Jul 14, 2010
sd-6:

I have once opined in my philosophy that all men are bad. That men are only good when they do good and are seen as bad when they do bad to the same men to whom they did good. Consider another element in this scenario: an activist says while making a speech that he can give his life to ensure that justice is done and suddenly gun shots are heard all over the arena. Would he for the sake of being an activist not scamper for safety? And if he does, does that change his activist inclinations? People dont realize the "human" in humans.
Abiioo.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by naso2(m): 10:44am On Jul 14, 2010
Infact I just feel a lot of the "progressives" we have do not really believe in  what they present to the public. I think I respect Gani as he is much better than the lot.  A journalist once asked Gani why he did not drop the title "chief"  in line with his claim that he would never bow to any traditional ruler becuase of their romance with govt,and the dearth of truth in the modern day rulers?

Olisa Agbakoba is just one other person that i cant place. when the same man that was able to direct the traffic of international sympathy his way, for the bouts he has had with enforcement agents in the struggle, is the same person that poses in defence of the ALL CORRUPT orji uzo kalu for the sake of lucre. Then you will agree that some of them(critics) just have a few friends in the media that project them in good light , in real sense , they are equally  as bad as those we have tagged "evil"
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by sd6: 11:33am On Jul 14, 2010
And that brings us to sayin that no man's intergrity is water tight and that men whose reputations lived were just lucky that there secret compromises were never discovered,
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by naso2(m): 11:53am On Jul 14, 2010
sd-6:

And that brings us to sayin that no man's intergrity is water tight and that men whose reputations lived were just lucky that there secret compromises were never discovered,

Some how you are correct but not completely. Our(nigeria) case is just special. A lot of these people only exploite the cheap route to popularity by being critics , then when the opportunity for "gain" comes, the real man shows up. Its not same as when a man has these values "wired" in him but falters occassionaly under pressure.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by AjanleKoko: 2:00pm On Jul 14, 2010
Jarus:

Let me set the background by asking these questions:
-Who is a critic?
-Must a critic criticize always?
-Should a critic keep silent if he sees government do something right?
-If a critic, suddenly and out of character, praises a government, has he automatically become a sell-out?
-Who is a radical?
-Who is a progressive? Are Dino Melaye and co progressives?
-Must a radical or progressive or critic believe he's right always? What of differing opinions?
-Is there anything like separating message from messenger?

Hmm.
In the Nigerian context I'm not sure what a 'critic' really is, particularly since we do have a penchant for stylizing certain words with no indication of any leaning towards any particular meaning.
I like to think of the so-called critics more as 'opposition', since they are mostly opposed to the government of the day, and its policies. Sometimes, the various views and objectives are divergent, as we have come to realise with time. I mean, during the Abacha years, we had NADECO and the Human Rights community fusing into one singular movement.

With the advent of politics, the social crusaders separated from the politicians. Right now, you hardly hear about the groups like CLO, CD, CDHR, and the rest of them, since their major protagonists like Beko and Agbakoba are either dead or part of the mainstream.
I think the struggle in itself has changed. We're not facing military dictators anymore. In fact, many of the campaigners of yesteryears are even in government these days.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by Agibecky: 2:36pm On Jul 14, 2010
I prefer political dialectics.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by sd6: 3:04pm On Jul 14, 2010
@na_so
I acknowledge the peculiarity of the Nigerian experience. But you may have to understand that there is this homogeneity of human opportunism. That is to say that all humans have opportunistic tendencies but in some places, people are deterred from exploiting that opportunity for "gain" due to well established institutional barricades and system of values. Consider this scenario: PASTOR Tunde Bakari is a MEMBER of a political party and also of the Save Nigeria Group; a clergy, politician and an activist. Wole Soyinka, an ACTIVIST and an ambivalent politician. Then look at Martin Luther king jnr., a rev. and an activist bt never lived long for us to see the other side like rev. Jessy Jackson who almost is in politics. If American institutions were as weak as ours, they could hv been political leaders.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by sd6: 3:40pm On Jul 14, 2010
Again, look at the renowned activist, Nelson Mandela who had fought oppression at its zenith. But when it came to 1994, and he saw an opportunity for "gain", he took it, contested the election and became the president. He should have backed off politics and remained an activist or moreso an elder statesman bt he never did. Nw on the present situation, Goodluck Jonathan is faced with the mischievious options of either leaving a legacy nt contesting but conducting free and fair elections or hijacking the system and "re-electing himself into office. I bet u know his possible choice.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by naso2(m): 4:31pm On Jul 14, 2010
@sd-6

I differ slightly. there is nothing wrong in a critic taking up a political challenge. A critic can aspire to the highest office in the land and I am kool with that, provided he has(will) not sacrifice the very ideals he preaches. Mandela became president and since there is no evidence of corruption,racial discrimination and other ills he fought against in the aparthied govt, then he retains my utmost respect.

My problem however is with the agbakobas of this world that will not cease to state corruption as the bane of our country in every seminar, yet finds it safe to be orji uzo kalu's mouthpiece at a fee.

The smart Adeyemi's that we saw as progressives in his NUJ days are now drinking tea. Need i mention Olusegun Adeniyi?
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by AjanleKoko: 5:10pm On Jul 14, 2010
sd-6:

Again, look at the renowned activist, Nelson Mandela who had fought oppression at its zenith. But when it came to 1994, and he saw an opportunity for "gain", he took it, contested the election and became the president. He should have backed off politics and remained an activist or moreso an elder statesman bt he never did.

Haba, Mandela was never a social crusader or activist o! He led a political party, the ANC, and they were involved in a power struggle with the Afrikaners, over majority versus minority rule. He even led an armed struggle. You make him sound like some sort of opportunist.
Re: Of Criticism, Progressivism And Political Puritanism by sd6: 6:50pm On Jul 14, 2010
@na_so and Ajanlekoko
i have a lot of respect for Mandela but i cited his case to emphasize that there is no water-tight radicalism or rationality and all these are a function of conditions and situations. It is regrettable that we do nt strive to ascertain the sources of our people's radicalism and criticism. They mostly come frm socio-economic dissatisfaction; a struggle for pecuniary benefits. And when they falsely project altruism as the basis for their action, they become victims of their own standards.

(1) (Reply)

A Masterpiece From Kate Henshaw-nuttal On Fuel Subsidy / Fashola Hands Over The New Office Of Public Defender. Pics. Eko O Ni Baje O / One Face, Five Notes, It Is Nelson Mandela, Only In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.