Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate (1432 Views)

Tell Him To Stop Harassing My Family - Turai Yar'adua Tells OBJ / As EFCC Goes After Daughter, Turai Yar’adua Runs To Obasanjo For Help / Turai Yar'adua Arrives Vienna For Atomic Energy Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by eespunge(m): 3:39pm On Jul 13, 2010
HISTORY will soon earmark a space for Hilary Clinton and Turai Yar'Adua, as First Ladies who found their ways into the Senate. That is if the plans currently being hatched in favour of the Nigerian former first lady sees the light of the day. National Daily, reliably gathered that plans are in top gear to grant Turai Yar'Adua, widow of late President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua the PDP ticket to vie for one of the three senatorial slots in Katsina State. Sources said this plan was hitherto shrouded in secrecy, considering all the intrigues that happened when the late President Yar'Adua was on the sick bed, but became obvious a few days back, when the Yar'Adua family marked the 40 days fidau at the family house in Katsina. The fidau, which attracted a lot of northern political bigwigs, sources say, availed the platform Turai needed to test her political potency, and feelers around her say the coast looks obviously clear, at least for now. Already some aides of the former First Lady are said to be busy mobilizing support for Turai amongst the political elites in the north.

“Every rough edge is being smoothened at the moment, and in due course the people will see Turai being 'rewarded' with a seat in the Senate. Some of the northern elders feel it is necessary after how she seems to have lost out in the political permutations following her husband's death. The general impression really is that it will be appropriate if she gets the ticket to represent the people now”, a source said While Turai Yar'Adua, may be regarded as a featherweight in the political circles of the country, there is every reason to believe that she has actually learnt the necessary intrigues on the job, being a First Lady for close to eleven years. Aside the way she handled the politics of her husband's medical trip abroad sources say, she is banking on the sympathy of Nigerian women to actualize this dream.

To this end, Turai is in talks with the National Council of Women's Societies, (NCWS) as well as Minister for Women Affairs, Hajia Bala Usman and Mrs. Josephine Anenih respectively, and the plot is that the women folk will fly the widowhood kite to garner enough sympathy for Turai's cause. This may not be the only tactic as the Governor of Katsina State, Ibrahim Shehu Shema is said to be favourably disposed to the idea and may be assembling men and resources to lend unalloyed support to the bid to make the former First Lady represent Katsina North Senatorial Zone come 2011.

Turai Ya'Adua is also said to be counting on the support of her two sons in law who happen to be big wigs in Northern politics, where they hold sway as executive governors. A source told this newspaper that it is most likely that the politically powerful but unconstitutional Governors' Forum' may also play a role in this quest to get Turai Yar'Adua to be part of the National Assembly in 2011.

“A lot of support is being mobilized to achieve this and with the calibre of people who have identified with this cause, I am confident that Hajia Turai will clinch the ticket come 2011. Some people even feel she should have been nominated to complete the tenure of her dead husband, but settling for the senatorial seat will not be out of place”, another source told the paper.

Obviously, the plan to foist Hajia Turai Yar'Adua may indeed meet one strong opposition in spite of the seeming goodwill believed to be following her. And this is likely going to be in the person of Senator Mahmud Kanti Bello, the senator representing Katsina North in the National Assembly. Kanti Bello, who is a notable politician was a senator in 1992, and has also been in the House since 2003. Once a party chairman, he is believed to be one of the reliable allies of the former president, but no one can ascertain if he is part of the game plan to install Turai at his own expense.
It would be recalled that Turai's fiery ambition has often pitched her against some Nigerians. This came to the front burner as her dead husband lay dying in a Saudi hospital, a few months ago; a fact that made people to conclude that she was calling the shots in Aso Rock from Jeddah.

Before her days in Aso Rock, Turai is believed to have wielded a lot of influence when her husband was the governor of Katsina state for eight years. On a particular instance, she was said to have literally seized the affairs of the state, while her husband was battling an ailment in a German hospital for almost seven months. Events of the coming days will however prove if the former First Lady can still glow like the tigress she is believed to be.

http://nationaldailyngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2343:2011-turai-yaradua-eyes-senate&catid=99:current-cover&Itemid=489
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by philip0906(m): 3:47pm On Jul 13, 2010
wonders shall never end!!! embarassed embarassed
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by DisGuy: 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2010
Obviously, the plan to foist Hajia Turai Yar'Adua may indeed meet one strong opposition in spite of the seeming goodwill believed to be following her. And this is likely going to be in the person of Senator Mahmud Kanti Bello, the senator representing Katsina North in the National Assembly. Kanti Bello, who is a notable politician was a senator in 1992, and has also been in the House since 2003. Once a party chairman, he is believed to be one of the reliable allies of the former president, but no one can ascertain if he is part of the game plan to install Turai[i] at his own expense.[/i]It would be recalled that Turai's fiery ambition has often pitched her against some Nigerians. This came to the front burner as her dead husband lay dying in a Saudi hospital, a few months ago; a fact that made people to conclude that she was calling the shots in Aso Rock from Jeddah.

How many terms do senator serve?
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by snowdrops(m): 4:37pm On Jul 13, 2010
what more can we say. is power this addictive?
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by blacksta(m): 4:43pm On Jul 13, 2010
More brain dead candidates to govern Nigeria even Wasiu Ayinde Marshall is considering a senator position  - These  people have nothing to offer.  I cry for Nigeria a country where mediocracy is duly celebrated
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 13, 2010
blacksta:

More brain dead candidates to govern Nigeria even Wasiu Ayinde Marshall is considering a senator position  - These  people have nothing to offer.  I cry for Nigeria a country where mediocracy is duly celebrated
save your tears and come out to contest against them if you think you are better.how long will you keep complaining.election is coming and there is no law that forbids anybody qualified from contesting.do something to stop the ills.
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by hatch: 4:54pm On Jul 13, 2010
Go for senate?that may be her only way of keeping her loot.
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by blacksta(m): 4:56pm On Jul 13, 2010
~Bluetooth:

save your tears and come out to contest against them if you think you are better.how long will you keep complaining.election is coming and there is no law that forbids anybody qualified from contesting.do something to stop the ills.

Ol boy i would like to contest but dont have NYSC certificate which automatically rules me out.
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 13, 2010
blacksta:

Ol boy i would like to contest but dont have NYSC certificate which automatically rules me out.
if Turai has NYSC certificate,then she more qualified than you then.
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by Dark1(m): 5:18pm On Jul 13, 2010
@ topic: Nigerian politics/political post is akin to family title. . . . na dem, dem!!!

~Bluetooth:

U want make dem kill the poor boy, abi? Do u have any inkling what it takes to contest and win election in Nigeria?
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 13, 2010
Dark1:

@ topic: Nigerian politics/political post is akin to family title. . . . na dem, dem!!!

U want make dem kill the poor boy, abi? Do u have any inkling what it takes to contest and win election in Nigeria?
you can't eat your cake and have it.if you dont have what it takes to CONTEST and WIN election,then people like wasiu,Turai,basket mouth,tuface,timaya,terry G and other jokers would take over our politics.
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by Dark1(m): 5:29pm On Jul 13, 2010
~Bluetooth:

you can't eat your cake and have it.if you dont have what it takes to CONTEST and WIN election,then people like wasiu,Turai,basket mouth,tuface,timaya,terry G and other jokers would take over our politics.

Who is the biggest joker? Those u've mentioned above?. . . Those presently ruling us?. . . Or urself cheesy cheesy cheesy

Just asking. grin

PS: what does it take to win election in Nigeria
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 13, 2010
Dark1:

Who is the biggest joker? Those u've mentioned above?. . . Those presently ruling us?. . . Or urself cheesy cheesy cheesy

Just asking. grin

PS: what does it take to win election in Nigeria
me joker ke ? I get it.you preferred those (dis)honourables fighting themselves in public abi.
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by Dark1(m): 5:41pm On Jul 13, 2010
Bro, nor be so jare. Its just that untill there's a complete reform of all sectors, the wrong sort will always find their way to the helm of affairs.

Btw, nothing do you. I'd vote for you whenever you're ready to contest. wink
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by isimili: 6:01pm On Jul 14, 2010
Hilary went to the Senate and has something to offer America.

what does Turai have to offer Nigeria?

i am hot on the involvement of women in politics because i think that Nigeria is overdue for proper democracy but for Turai CAPITAL NO.

The only reason is to give her immunity from prosecution. If she succeeds, then Patricia Etteh should be made the president of Nigeria. The political arena will then be complete with clowns. God save Nigeria.
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by DisGuy: 6:12pm On Jul 14, 2010
isimili:

Hilary went to the Senate and has something to offer America.

what does Turai have to offer Nigeria?

i am hot on the involvement of women in politics because i think that Nigeria is overdue for proper democracy but for Turai CAPITAL NO.

The only reason is to give her immunity from prosecution. If she succeeds, then Patricia Etteh should be made the president of Nigeria. The political arena will then be complete with clowns. God save Nigeria.

So what is stopping her from prosecution now?
Re: 2011: Turai Yar'adua Eyes Senate by xterra2(m): 7:32pm On Jul 14, 2010
This is Utter Nonsense i can tell you , after what happened she would NOT run for senate nor House of Reps nor any other Post
This Journalist smokes ganja this cant be true comon people reason she wont do such thing she cant stoop low for senate but in a free and fair election the Katsina people would vote for her and she would win with a landslide
But this would never happen if eventually am wrong and it does happen i think i may deleted my acount and leave NL cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

(1) (Reply)

With 4 Ex-supreme Court Justices, I Will Nail Cjn – Salami / Prepare Your Handover Note, PDP Tells Aregbesola / Eyewitnesses Say Injured Foreigner Walked Out Of Plane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.