Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,122 members, 7,811,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts (8034 Views)

Tinubu’s Govt To Spend ₦‎341 Billion On Judgment Debts / Court Blocks INEC, CBN From Stopping Emefiele's 2023 Presidential Bid / Fayemi: I Was Offered 80M Dollar Bribe Over Suspicious N159B Judgment Debts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by dabrin: 5:08am On Oct 16, 2018
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday ordered the accounts of the Independent National Electoral Commission with the Central Bank of Nigeria to be blocked over the commission’s alleged refusal to pay a judgment debt of N17.258bn to a creditor.

The court also ordered the Federal Ministry of Finance to, in the interim, withhold funds meant for INEC, but yet to be disbursed.

Justice John Tsoho made the order in a ruling following an ex parte application by Bedding Holdings Limited in the garnishee proceedings it instituted to enforce the judgment delivered in its favour on January 28, 2014.

The Monday’s orders are to subsist till November 8, when both the CBN and the Federal Ministry of Finance (the two respondents to the garnishee proceedings) are to appear in court to show cause why the orders blocking INEC’s access to its funds should not be made absolute.

If the court grants an order of garnishee absolute, it implies ordering both the CBN and the Federal Ministry of Finance to immediately pay the applicant directly the total judgment sum of about N17bn from INEC’s accounts.

Justice Tsoho had on May 24, 2018, made a similar order of temporary blockage of INEC’s accounts upon hearing the former ex parte application moved on behalf of the applicant by Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN).

But, while moving the ex parte motion for ‘garnishee nisi’ on Monday, another of Bedding Holding Limited’s lawyer, Mr James Odibah, urged the court to strike out the May 24, 2018 order, which he said was made against parties wrongly joined as respondents in the garnishee proceedings.

Odiba said, “We shall be asking this honourable court for the withdrawal of our earlier ex parte order of this court dated May 24, 2018.

“The reason for this is that in our earlier motion we brought parties.

“In line with the new policy of TSA (Treasury Single Account), those parties were not the proper parties.

“This motion is supported by a 39-para affidavit sworn to by Dr Sylvester Osadolor Odigee, the Group Executive Chairman of the applicant.

“Attached to the motion, are nine exhibits. We humbly rely on the exhibits.

“We urge your lordship to strike out our earlier ex parte motion and the order granted on May 24, 2018, which is still subsisting.

“My lord, this is to ensure that all the relevant parties are brought to court.

“We have removed all the impediments to the granting of this motion by withdrawing our earlier motion.”

Ruling, Justice Tsoho said, on the basis of the information “furnished the court” by the applicant via the ex parte motion dated and filed on September 26, 2018, “the prayers sought therein are granted.”

One of the six prayers sought by the applicant included “a garnishee order nisi attaching all money, including, but not limited to foreign accounts attached to current accounts of the 1st judgment debtor in the possession of the garnishees/respondents (CBN and Federal Ministry of Finance) bearing the name of the 1st judgment debtor (INEC).”

The Federal High Court had on January 28, 2014, gave a judgment against INEC, its Chairman, the Attorney General of the Federation and three others in a suit marked, FHC/ABJ/CS/816/2010, filed by BHL.

Other defendants in the suit were Haier Electrical Appliances Corporation Limited, Zinox Technologies Limited and Avante International Limited, who were contractors to INEC, engaged to supply equipment that it deployed for voters’ registration prior to the 2011 elections.

BHL had filed the suit, accusing INEC, the Chairman of INEC, and other defendants of infringing on its exclusive “Patent Rights “No: RP16642 and Copyrights Design No: RD13841 in and over Electronic Collapsible Transparent Ballot Boxes (ECTBB) and Patent Rights No: NG/P/2010/202 – Proof of Address System/Scheme (PASS) – Embedded with the Concept of the Coded Metal Plate.”

The firm claimed that the inventions, which its exclusive patent and copyright covered, were deployed by INEC and the other defendants “for the production of voters’ register for the 2011 general elections, among other elections, without its prior licence, consent and authorisation.”

In a judgment on January 28, 2014, the then Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Ibrahim Auta, agreed with BHL’s claims and granted all its declaratory and monetary prayers against the defendants.

Justice Auta ordered among others, that BHL “is entitled to 50 per cent of the total contract sum of N34, 517,640,000.00, (which is N17,258,820,000.00) being the minimum reasonable royalty accruable to the plaintiff for the production, procurement, supply, acquisition, importation, purchase, receipt, sale of the Direct Data Capturing Machine, laptops and/or any other equipment ancillary to, or associated with the process and application of the said products for the registration of voters and or the collation/compilation and production of the voters’ register for the 2011 general elections.”

News via Gistmore :: http://gistmore.com/court-blocks-inecs-accounts-n17-258bn-judgment-debts

1 Like

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by dabrin: 5:08am On Oct 16, 2018
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by 3rdavefarms(m): 6:19am On Oct 16, 2018
God will surely heals our land

My people let Buhari forking finish his bloody tenure and let the power shift to SOUTH EAST it’s unfair for the whole Nigeria to against this Tribe to Rule ... please and please Let Buhari finish in 2023 even though I hate Bubu with his lifelsss policies please let him complete his tenure since the return of demo crazy The Igbo hasn’t been allowed to Rule which is not good enough as country at large

5 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by chronique(m): 6:36am On Oct 16, 2018
So much laws in the land but none are obeyed by the government and her agencies. Tell me why the average citizen should obey any either?

4 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by johnjay4u2u(m): 6:37am On Oct 16, 2018
Make them pay now. shebi them just collect one awoof election money?

2 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by 1stola: 6:37am On Oct 16, 2018
Wonderful

Money must be made!

God don butter the person wey win case bread

2 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 16, 2018
Hmm.
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by davodyguy: 6:38am On Oct 16, 2018
Since 2014.
Under Jonathan, corruption was full gear in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Azazi(m): 6:40am On Oct 16, 2018
Inec and rigging, now pay your court fee e turn wahala.....

2 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by id4sho(m): 6:40am On Oct 16, 2018
r
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Demgohearword: 6:41am On Oct 16, 2018
Good move
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Stonebil4real(m): 6:42am On Oct 16, 2018
APC don take style collect their share, of the INEC Loot

3 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Westaslave2(f): 6:42am On Oct 16, 2018
Buhari is worst dan a devil i swear
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Alzirida(f): 6:42am On Oct 16, 2018
Whenever i read of controversial judgement,
I expect to hear JJT (Justice John Tsoho)

U deliver such judgment and goes back to ur house and sleep fine?

1 Like

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Melison(m): 6:43am On Oct 16, 2018
Naija,Naija,,naija my dear country u av suffered,
This pipo go dey dig up cases like undertakers
Inec?? U even sure say elections fit hold for this country so??
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by davodyguy: 6:43am On Oct 16, 2018
Azazi:
Inec and rigging, now pay your court fee e turn wahala.....
It started under Jonathan. Infact it was prior to the 2011 election that Jonathan won. If it was rigged, then it was in his favor

4 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by davodyguy: 6:44am On Oct 16, 2018
Westaslave2:
You have zero comprehension skill.
See below

The firm claimed that the inventions, which its exclusive patent and copyright covered, were deployed by INEC and the other defendants “for the production of voters’ register for the 2011 general elections, among other elections, without its prior licence, consent and authorisation.”

Jonathan was the president in 2010, 2011, 2014 and up till 2015. It has nothing to do with Buhari

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by LordofNaija: 6:46am On Oct 16, 2018
Alzirida:
Whenever i read of controversial judgement,
I expect to hear JJT (Justice John Tsoho)

U deliver such judgment and goes back to ur house and sleep fine?
U gather o

1 Like

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by davodyguy: 6:47am On Oct 16, 2018
johnjay4u2u:
Make them pay now.
shebi them just collect one awoof election money?
Jonathan should pay, cos this happened when he won the election in 2011.

Dubious and fictitious contracts were awarded under GEJ.

If' INEC has refused to pay since the introduction of TSA, then those contracts were dubious. They'll surely appeal this

2 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Westaslave2(f): 6:47am On Oct 16, 2018
davodyguy:

You have zero comprehension skill.
See below

Jonathan was the president in 2010, 2011, 2014 and up till 2015. It has nothing to do with Buhari
Y d case nw, medicore boy?
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Westaslave2(f): 6:49am On Oct 16, 2018
davodyguy:

Jonathan should pay, cos this happened when he won the election in 2011
i hope u are nt an alternative moniker ,because if i catch u! Hmnn!
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by rekeson: 6:53am On Oct 16, 2018
So what has INEC been doing with all the huge budgets they have been getting

FOR INSTANT CURE TO VARIOUS AILMENTS, VISIT THE LINK IN MY SIGNATURE.
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Alzirida(f): 6:59am On Oct 16, 2018
LordofNaija:

U gather o

What?

1 Like

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Justinah4real(f): 7:03am On Oct 16, 2018
Westaslave2:

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by seborrhic: 7:05am On Oct 16, 2018
3rdavefarms:

My people let Buhari forking finish his bloody tenure and let the power shift to SOUTH EAST it’s unfair for the whole Nigeria to against this Tribe to Rule ... please and please Let Buhari finish in 2023 even though I hate Bubu with his lifelsss policies please let him complete his tenure since the return of demo crazy The Igbo hasn’t been allowed to Rule which is not good enough as country at large
You cannot hate someone and know his policies are lifeless and still want him to continue.
You are a bloody liar because you are an ardent bubu and APC supporter.

1 Like

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by WorldRichest: 7:31am On Oct 16, 2018
3rdavefarms:

You are wrong my brethren, the South East wants Atikuchukwu to spend another 8 years from 2019 to 2027. After which the presidency will come to the South for a roforofo fight between the South East, South South and South West. My brethren, the South East will be committing another political suicide.

2 Likes

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by LordofNaija: 7:32am On Oct 16, 2018
Alzirida:

What?
You know nah. Come garrison junction make I show you if you don't still know
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by Alzirida(f): 7:36am On Oct 16, 2018
LordofNaija:

You know nah. Come garrison junction make I show you if you don't still know

Are u a kidnapper?
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by RichDad1(m): 7:37am On Oct 16, 2018
Some empty heads will not read the article before spitting their biles everywhere.
Let me help you
The Federal High Court had on January 28, 2014, gave a judgment against INEC, its Chairman, the Attorney General of the Federation and three others in a suit marked, FHC/ABJ/CS/816/2010, filed by BHL.

Other defendants in the suit were Haier Electrical Appliances Corporation Limited, Zinox Technologies Limited and Avante International Limited, who were contractors to INEC, engaged to supply equipment that it deployed for voters’ registration prior to the 2011 elections.

BHL had filed the suit, accusing INEC, the Chairman of INEC, and other defendants of infringing on its exclusive “Patent Rights “No: RP16642 and Copyrights Design No: RD13841 in and over Electronic Collapsible Transparent Ballot Boxes (ECTBB) and Patent Rights No: NG/P/2010/202 – Proof of Address System/Scheme (PASS) – Embedded with the Concept of the Coded Metal Plate.”

1 Like

Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by 3rdavefarms(m): 7:37am On Oct 16, 2018
seborrhic:

You cannot hate someone and know his policies are lifeless and still want him to continue.
You are a bloody liar because you are an ardent bubu and APC supporter.

Honestly I am not an APC MEMBER I swear to God almighty
Re: Again, Court Blocks Inec’s Accounts Over N17.258bn Judgment Debts by KanwuliaMama: 7:38am On Oct 16, 2018
And they are busy recovering loot upandan? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Panel Summons Fayose’s Aide, Lere Olayinka Over Closure Of Ekiti Radio/televisio / Predictions On Today's Senate Bye Election / Delta State Has Never Failed Me Since 1999 – Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.