Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Gospel Music Versus Secular Music - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Gospel Music Versus Secular Music (14056 Views)

Poll: Which do you prefer: gospel music or secular music?

Gospel music: 86% (52 votes)
Secular music: 13% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 / GODWIN; Gospel Or Secular??? / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by slimnike(m): 4:36pm On May 07, 2007
The so called 'Big Boys' already in the business are not helping matters.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mycc(f): 6:52pm On May 07, 2007
how do u mean ?
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by slimnike(m): 4:01am On Jun 02, 2007
Imagine guys like Gordons,Samsung and the rest, you can't really tell if they are doing Gospel music or not.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mycc(f): 4:41pm On Jun 18, 2007
slimnike:

Imagine guys like Gordons,Samsung and the rest, you can't really tell if they are doing Gospel music or not.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by dominobaby(f): 8:51am On Jun 19, 2007
All things are lawful but not all things edify- what am i trying to say, as a christian, when you continue to grow deeper in the things of God, no one will tell you before you drop secular music. I couldn't agree more with ricadelide and lafile. For me, i don't even buy them anymore, cos they do not inspire me or move me towards God. For the poster who said christians don't buy gospel music, please don't generalise. I for one, you can't find any secular music on my phone. My ringtone is even Cece Winas' I'll give you praise. This is not to say i don't listen to them, really i'm a radio freak and i get to hear them often, i just don't pay attention to them. It really baffles me to hear some funny and 'eyebrow raising' secular songs as some supposed christian's ringtone.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Nobody: 9:32am On Jun 21, 2007
lafile lafile lafile oh lafile

hook a sista up now kiss

share with the body of Christ, we are desperate

before some songs cause problems O!
lipsrsealed

Gospel music rocks, since I became a beleiver in Christ nothing rocks my boat more

i have soft spot for old skull hits tho, and some tracks of secular artists however I don't own any of their cd's

Lyrics mean a lot to me so all that so all that sexual inference,booty this candy that stroke here toast it there e tire person even the radio I go off am
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mycc(f): 1:47pm On Jun 28, 2007
lol
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by slimnike(m): 7:51am On Jul 11, 2007
But i believe good ones are coming up.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mycc(f): 6:41pm On Aug 28, 2007
ehn ehn ?
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mycc(f): 12:20pm On Sep 06, 2007
the gospel guys are really coming up but the gap between them and the secular guys is still very wide.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by cgift(m): 3:26pm On Sep 06, 2007
how wide?
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Backslider(m): 5:08pm On Sep 07, 2007
@mycc

You just watch and see The "christian" song will be filled with the Greatest immorality in the fews year to com The songs will be portraying Sexual immorality and people will say it is HOLY.

The evil that this songs will glorify will seek to shame the name of Christ and You know the Secular World will wonder. You are now seeing the 1st face in the Catholic Church where Satan boldly is Showing off immorality in the Church.

Some Secular Men that will never have any business with gay life are completely seeing themselves as moral men. We may condemn the catholic, Anglican and other orthodox churches what will you say about Evangelicals (Like Swaggart) that been involved in gay and drugs.

You go and look at the song that some old time men of Prayer, John and Charles Wesley wrote. Do you know that there are Psalms in the Bible do sing Hymns.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by temitope23(m): 10:33pm On Sep 07, 2007
i dont really think christian music can stand a chance because there are more on saved people in d world than d saved one .
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Uchelite(m): 1:59pm On Sep 13, 2007
You are partly right in what you said.Why because circular music promoters works round the clock to flood every space with circular songs. Why gospel music promoters does little about gospel music. I will explain more next time.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by lafile(m): 12:46pm On Sep 14, 2007
@Backslider
Bros i seriously dong get what you are driving at.
How can christian songs carry immorality?
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by lafile(m): 12:50pm On Sep 14, 2007
Find Below the Lyrics to my favorite song. Tell me it dont bless you.

Order My Steps - Mississippi Mass Choir
[Chorus]
Order my steps in your word dear Lord
Lead me, guide me, everyday
Send Your anointing, Father, I pray
Order my steps in Your word.
Please order my steps in Your word.
[Verse]
Humbly I ask Thee, teach me Your will
While You are working, help me be still
Though Satan is busy, God is real
Bridle my tongue, let my words edify
Let the words of my mouth be acceptable in Thy sight
Take charge of my thoughts, both day and night
(Refrain)
I want to walk worthy, my calling to fulfill
Please order my steps, Lord, and I'll do Your blessed will
The world is ever changing, but You are still the same
If You order my steps, I'll praise Your name.
Order my steps, in Your word
Order my tongue, in Your word
Guide my feet, in Your word
Wash my heart, in Your word
Show me how to walk, in Your word
Show me how to talk, in Your word.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mycc(f): 2:11pm On Sep 14, 2007
Backslider:

@mycc

You just watch and see The "christian" song will be filled with the Greatest immorality in the fews year to com The songs will be portraying Sexual immorality and people will say it is HOLY.

The evil that this songs will glorify will seek to shame the name of Christ and You know the Secular World will wonder. You are now seeing the 1st face in the Catholic Church where Satan boldly is Showing off immorality in the Church.

Some Secular Men that will never have any business with gay life are completely seeing themselves as moral men. We may condemn the catholic, Anglican and other orthodox churches what will you say about Evangelicals (Like Swaggart) that been involved in gay and drugs.

You go and look at the song that some old time men of Prayer, John and Charles Wesley wrote. Do you know that there are Psalms in the Bible do sing Hymns.

my brother, you always do not seem to make sense to me, maybe you should change your user-name.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mycc(f): 6:58pm On Sep 19, 2007
kjgfit78
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mycc(f): 12:04pm On Oct 03, 2007
GOSPEL 1 SECULAR 30

the gap wiiiiiiiiiide
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Dios(f): 2:00pm On Oct 03, 2007
Backslider:

@mycc

ok, I'll read it again and try to understand wink huh?
WHAT THE F#CK DUDE

temitope23:

i don't really think christian music can stand a chance because there are more on saved people in d world than d saved one .

On Saved? I guess you're OFF SAVED!!

Uchelite:

You are partly right in what you said.Why because circular music promoters works round the clock to flood every space with circular songs. Why gospel music promoters does little about gospel music. I will explain more next time.

CIRCULAR MUSIC. So is gospel music TRIANGULAR MUSIC? You know, the holy f#cking trinity.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by AKO1(m): 7:01pm On Oct 03, 2007
This is really a very interesting topic and I just felt I should share my views:

1. Really, it depends on how you define secular music. I like to define it as any music with lyrics that do not focus on God and/or His character i.e. any music is not focused on either or all of the three persons of the Godhead. Now such music has tons of sub-divisions; rap, r&b, jazz, etc. I have found out that a larger percentage of people, particularly youths listen to music for the words, not necessarily the aesthetics of the music. What makes music bad really, is  the message of the words. If it does not glorify God, it is bad. PERIOD. Now the bible gives us a guideline in  Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (KJV). Hence, if the words of the music incite thoughts that tally with the adjectives listed in this verse of scripture, it is good. This quote that I heard from Pastor Olubi Johnson bears a lot of relevance: "your thoughts become your words, your words become your actions,, your actions become your habits, your habits become your character, your character becomes your destiny". So you can see that it all begins in the mind. The battle is in the mind That means that the song does not have to be about Jesus or etc all the time, typical Celine Dion songs are good for mature couples.

2. Why then, you may ask particularly if you are privilieged to be a christian like I am, is bad/'secular' music more enjoyable, interesting and appealing to the typical/natural man? i'll show you this scripture:

-- Mt 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
(KJV)
Here, Jesus is speaking to His disciples concerning the endtime which we are in now.

--Moreover, the bible (not sure where it is but it sure is there) lets us know that Lucifer was the chief musician who coordinated the worship of God before He fell and became satan. He is now the prince of this world (jn 14:30). In short, he is a musician. Hence, when he sees men who are willing to compose music contrary to the will of God, he 'assists' them. He gives them innovative ideas and lyrics that will incite the wrong thoughts and actions, thus making men more immoral.
Finally, we must understand that ALL forms of music are from God, ie there is nothing wrong with christian rock and christian rap for example. It is just bad men that put bad words in them.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Oluchia(f): 4:22pm On Oct 04, 2007
I have found out that a larger percentage of people, particularly youths listen to music for the words, not necessarily the aesthetics of the music
I don't agree with that o, The rhythm and 'aesthetics' are the first and major attraction. Or what do you have to say about a music like that of Awilo which I'm sure most Nigerians don't even understand the lyrics and yet even small children will sing and dance to it from A-Z. No wonder the gospel artists now had to come up with their own gospel Makossa because they know that's what appeals to the senses of the youth and my dear, this is where we need to apply caution as Christians. The devil is a master in the game, since he can't get you to dance to the secular makossa, why not the gospel makossa since the lyrics are good abi.There is just a thin line b/w so my own is, BE CAREFUL!
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by FufuKing1(m): 4:44pm On Oct 04, 2007
Secular music all the way! cool
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Oct 04, 2007
I was in Walmart the other day and they happened to be playing Gospel music over the radio. I think it was Barlow gals or something. Really cool. I have lots of sounds in my collection and most all of them are Gospel/Christian rock sounds. Now I do know over here Gospel music happens to be a multi-billion dollar biz, and many of the gospel rockers are into it. Not sure what it is down there but I do not believe secular is for all persons. I used to be seriously into secular rock until I discovered Christian rock and I can't even dream of going back, the thought even makes me shudder!!
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mekoyo(m): 4:58pm On Oct 04, 2007
We have all taking music in different directions and views. Gospel music has mixed with all types of different things and so many people don't even give it a thought anymore.

For me gospel music is my favourite. There are different types of secular music, the rapp, jazz, hipp hop, zig zag and all manner of them. Now what do these music teach us, does it add values to our lives.

There are some music which are known as love songs or will i say blues as many of us say it is. These kind of music most times are found among lovers(decievers) they sing or play it to there bad half just to turn the head on before manipulating and getting what they want.
There some that are for married people or sincere, honest individuals who have found true luv and want to express it through this means.

The christian songs teaches us lot of things like Believing and trusting in God, morals, to mention a few which i know many of us know and understand perfectly well.

Lets not decieve ourselves here, so many of us christians still sing secular music. But we have to watch the kind of music we listen to.

Right now the music i love listening to is If luv is a crime by Tuface and its a secular music not a gospel but its content is nice.

Gospel music is the best it reminds us of the love of Christ for us. And we should give it more priority.

Thanks
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by mekoyo(m): 5:07pm On Oct 04, 2007
Gospel music like

Jesus freaks
Sometimes by step
These are nice Gospel music with interesting tune.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Nellyf: 5:25pm On Oct 04, 2007
There's no point arguing here because if u're not Born Again, you cant understand what a spirit filled gospel song is. It's beyond our human reasoning. I've been in love with the secular music before now and am madly in love with the gospel music now because a Regeneration process has been done in my life. I tell u my people they cant be compared but u wont understand until u're Born Again.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by deb(m): 5:26pm On Oct 04, 2007
Gospel Music is the best. Most music with gospel lyrics are better
sang and arranged that is the fact. Gospel artistes could also be very creative
especially those Americans.

However, let me point out here that there is no music like gospel music.
It is the lyrics that make it gospel.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Kilkenny: 5:37pm On Oct 04, 2007
mycc,honestly as quite a number of people have already said,there really is NO BASIS for comparison.These are two distinct & entirely disparate genres of music!

I think Lafile and a couple of other folks have done justice to this topic, in my opinion.

I for one LOVE gospel music & even though i do like "clean" secular songs & listen to them on radio,TV,etc songs like Kelly Clarkson's "A Moment Like this", Simon Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled water" & yes,even R. Kelly's "Greatest"; i wouldn't go out of my way to buy them.On the other hand,i would buy gospel CDS for myself & also as gifts for friends.Recently i  bought CDs of Micah Stampley,Joann Rosario & Smokie Norful to give to friends & they were so impressed!

And as per styles,i guess as long as it edifies the soul & glorifies God,then thats fine.

You know what they say, "Different strokes for different folks".Some people like the cool worship style of Donnie Mcclurkin or Hillsongs,others would flow more with the upbeat music of Kirk Franklin,Kurt Carr & the like while others still love the rock sound of Delirious,Third Day,Casting Crowns,etc.
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by ebony4life(f): 7:57pm On Oct 04, 2007
The gospel musicians are shadowed by secular musicans, thus deterring them from getting their roots, which is very bad.

Those guys have to discover themselves first and stop being copycats.

Yahooze gospel,

I no talk any thing o. cool
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 04, 2007
Let's make something clear.
I think I agree with the second poster that said we have more secular music in our heads than gospel music.
Truth is - gospel musicians are monotonous. If you see a CD or a tape that's gospel music, there's a high probability it's in one style. If it's a video for example, they're most likely in a beautiful garden or a house and have ladies in lace and damask headgear that are dancing. It's all the same.
Take MNC for example. They're DIFFERENT. Check out Lele by Dekunle Fuji. It's different. Give a different flavour to gospel music, and PEOPLE WILL RUSH FOR IT!!!!
Re: Gospel Music Versus Secular Music by Hurginnie: 9:20pm On Oct 04, 2007
depends on what u mean by secular music. I for one WILL NOT listen to some rap artistes (50cent, Snoop,Nas ) and some others who swear a lot. i don't think there's anything wrong with Lighthouse family, Westlife, MJ Blige, Lagbaja, Paul Play and some other 'sensible' artistes.

No point trying to compare both genres, it is 'easier' doing something that's unchristian than something that is God-like.

GOD help us all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What It Means To Fall From Grace - Joseph Prince / Should Money From Sowing Of The Seed Go To Pastors? / Would You Be Offended If Your Pastor Preached From Their Ipad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.