Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,903 members, 7,835,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request (8988 Views)

Senate Okays Buhari’s $22.7 Billion Loan Request / Ahmad Lawan: Why The Senate Will Pass Buhari’s $29.9 Billion Loan Request / Shehu Sani: Why We Rejected Buhari’s $30bn Loan Request (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Pekele007: 8:24am On Oct 18, 2018
obailala:
How much exactly is "ALL" let's see if it compares to the amount in the topic? Cos the last time I checked, the so called recovered loot wasn't even up to N100bn.
shut up first.

The dullard recovered $323m abacha loot but decided to share it to Nigerians and went back to borrow $340m from China.

Is that not stupidity

4 Likes

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Makawhizzy: 8:27am On Oct 18, 2018
PassingShot:
Good development. It means money will now be available to complete important infrastructures that drive the economy.

Borrowing, as educated folks would know, is not the problem as long as it's used for infrastructures. Whereas PDP used to borrow for recurrent expenditures, this government has proved to be borrowing for capital/infrastructural development.

To those already shouting blue murder, read the below to cure your ignorance:

This is how you make an analogy

US National Debt - $2.1 Trillion - Debt to GDP 76%
UK National Debt - $2.3 Trillion - Debt to GDP 89%
China National Debt - $4.3 Trillion - Debt to GDP 41%
Nigeria National Debt - $73 Billion - Debt to GDP 21%

Debt is not the issue. It's what you do with it that's the issue.
Question is - If debt is rightly invested in infrastructure (that creates Capital Formation) or human capital (that keeps people alive & develop their skills and mental capacity), we'll be ok. If truth be told, a large Percentage of our National Debt was looted by the previous governments.

The conversation we should be having concerning our National Debt is
- Is it sustainable?
- What is it invested on?
- How much would those investments add to the GDP?
- When should we expect these ROI?

This government is committed to infrastructural awakening and is well on the course to achieving this with a time frame in mind after which we begin to get our ROI fast

These are some of the key indices that bring about an economical rating and yes as it stands now, Nigeria is the best economy in africa all thanks to this present Government which remained unwavering in the face of recession and maneuvered the nation out of those murky waters to the place where Forbes could now rate us as they have done.

Kudos to PMB and PYO.

You can help us with the infrastructures built so far because last time I checked an old man claimed the infrastructures are too big for us to see them
Leave all those USA, UK, CHINA analysis. It’s a different ball game here in Nigeria where we award bloated inflated contracts worth times three of those countries you mentions yet we get less than a fourth of what they get

5 Likes

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Idonije8(m): 8:28am On Oct 18, 2018
God punish anyone supporting buhari.....God punish you.....Festus kenyamo God punish you
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Nobody: 8:28am On Oct 18, 2018
obailala:

How much exactly is "ALL" let's see if it compares to the amount in the topic? Cos the last time I checked, recovered loot wasn't even up to N100bn but some people keep expecting the so called recovered loot to build the entire Europe in Nigeria.

You mean all the Anti Corruption noise couldn't achieve anything beyond 100billlion...not even in dollars grin

Let them pack their sacks and leave, we've stayed in hunger for too long

1 Like

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by PataAlhaja(m): 8:28am On Oct 18, 2018
Pekele007:

shut up first.

The dullard recovered $323m abacha loot but decided to share it to Nigerians and went back to borrow $340m from China.

Is that not stupidity

See someone calling another "stupid". I swear, you no get sense! grin

It's obvious you are very dumb to know that that loan from China is not a direct cash-transfer loan but an ICT infrastructure loan. They execute the infrastructure for us through a Chinese ICT company (Huawei Technologies) and we pay them later.

The dumbness and laziness of some so-called graduates would perplex even a sloth! grin

SMH

1 Like

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by obailala(m): 8:29am On Oct 18, 2018
Pekele007:

shut up first.

Is that not stupidity
Starting a conversation with an insult shoes first of all that you're a mannerless, poorly brought up waste.

And then, if you can read, the comment I responded to asked why recovered loot wasnt used to finance whatever it is the $2.8bn is being borrowed for. You then insultingly start blabbing about $323million because according to the gutter school you went to, 320 = 2800.
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by obailala(m): 8:32am On Oct 18, 2018
kaluxy007:

You mean all the Anti Corruption noise couldn't achieve anything beyond 100billlion...not even in dollars grin

Let them pack their sacks and leave, we've stayed in hunger for too long
As I read in the news, most funds recovered are still locked down in litigation ans yes, they arent significant compared to the noise made about them. Its not easy recovering what has already been spent and even for the ones recovered which are still in court, you cant spend what isnt yours yet. Secondly, significant amount of recovered funds were used to finance deficits in the 2016 and 2017 budgets. You cant spend money in 2016/2017 and still expect to have it in 2018 can you?
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by dragon2(m): 8:32am On Oct 18, 2018
PassingShot:
Good development. It means money will now be available to complete important infrastructures that drive the economy.

Borrowing, as educated folks would know, is not the problem as long as it's used for infrastructures. Whereas PDP used to borrow for recurrent expenditures, this government has proved to be borrowing for capital/infrastructural development.

Question is - If debt is rightly invested in infrastructure (that creates Capital Formation) or human capital (that keeps people alive & develop their skills and mental capacity), we'll be ok. If truth be told, a large Percentage of our National Debt was looted by the previous governments.

- Is it sustainable?

This government is committed to infrastructural awakening and is well on the course to achieving this with a time frame in mind after which we begin to get our ROI fast

These are some of the key indices that bring about an economical rating and yes as it stands now, Nigeria is the best economy in africa all thanks to this present Government which remained unwavering in the face of recession and maneuvered the nation out of those murky waters to the place where Forbes could now rate us as they have done.

Kudos to PMB and PYO.

All those countries Barr Nigeria are wealthy,very productive, export driven industrial nations who can afford those ratios. Nigeria is none of those. Secondly,we have no industrial and economic policies to justify those loans.

1 Like

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Pekele007: 8:33am On Oct 18, 2018
PataAlhaja:

It's obvious you are very dumb to know that that loan from China is not a direct cash-transfer loan but an ICT infrastructure loan. They execute the infrastructure for us through a Chinese ICT company (Huawei Technologies) and we pay them later.

The dumbness and laziness of some so-called graduates would perplex even a sloth! grin

SMH
Your stupidity is really inconclusive cos your thinking faculty is outdated.

I can't waste my time explaining things to a fool.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Pekele007: 8:34am On Oct 18, 2018
obailala:
Starting a conversation with an insult shoes first of all that you're a mannerless, poorly brought up waste.

And then, if you can read, the comment I responded to asked why recovered loot wasnt used to finance whatever it is the $2.8bn is being borrowed for. You then insultingly start blabbing about $323million because according to the gutter school you went to, 320 = 2800.
Zombies like you are too dull. When did Shut up become an insult

Go back and read the question you asked the guy.

What did the dullard do with the little recovered loot he got? Think with your brain zombie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by poseidon12: 8:35am On Oct 18, 2018
Nedukkc:
I see people still supporting this Government
Shouting sia baba
Mr integrity....this particular one has made to go back to dictionary to check the meaning of that word again.

Then baba till 2023...and I’m like do you people want this man to kill us??

They have been borrowing and we don’t see anything effects
The loots they claimed they recovered where is the money? what was it used for ?

For those fighting so hard to leave this country God will answer your prayers. We will all escape.

Don't mind the shortsighted fools.
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by PataAlhaja(m): 8:36am On Oct 18, 2018
Pekele007:

Your stupidity is really inconclusive cos your thinking faculty is outdated.

I can't waste my time explaining things to a fool.

Instead make you thank me say I educate your empty brain, you dey abuse me!

Dem never beat you before, abi? grin

Empty barrel!
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Pekele007: 8:38am On Oct 18, 2018
PataAlhaja:

Instead make you thank me say I educate your empty brain, you dey abuse me!
Dem never beat you before, abi? grin
Empty barrel!
You never told me your dad has an empty brain o.

A fool at your age has gone beyond redemption.

1 Like

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Joshzion(m): 8:39am On Oct 18, 2018
PassingShot:

- Is it sustainable?

Kudos to PMB and PYO.

Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 18, 2018
Why is the Lifeless Dullard in such a hurry to re-mortgage Nigeria's future before heading back to Daura?

1 Like

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by tunary(m): 8:42am On Oct 18, 2018
Stop taking loans and you are the ones approving it for them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by obailala(m): 8:54am On Oct 18, 2018
Pekele007:

[s]Zombies like you are too dull. When did Shut up become an insult

Go back and read the question you asked the guy.

What did the dullard do with the little recovered loot he got? Think with your brain zombie.[/s]
Animal.
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Slimmacho: 9:04am On Oct 18, 2018
PassingShot:

- Is it sustainable?

Kudos to PMB and PYO.

You don't understand the meaning of the facts you posted there.
Having a low GDP with high debts means you have no propensity to pay back as your economy can't generate enough to payback.

I also believe you are very ignorant because the 2017 and 2018 budgets were meant to be funded by more than 60% on loans, this consists of both recurring and capital expenditures.
This is the first time in Nigeria whereby more than 50% of the budgets will depend on loans.

Maybe you are living in a different country because we can't see new capital projects except the ones initiated and almost finished projects by the last regimes which the new regime are taking glory of.

We saw a benchmark of below $30 per barrel Crude oil used to calculate the projected revenue in the budget. But no one is talking about the fact that Crude oil is above $75 per barrel, they are still complaining of low oil prices.

The problem we have in Nigeria is ignorance, people like you chose to be ignorant because you are partisan.
Many like you read opinions without checking facts.

One more thing, I'd always thought that Buhari is the only DOTARD we have around,people like you who thinks the Economy is doing better now should simply be tagged FOOLISH!
SHAME ON YOU!

2 Likes

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by intruxive(m): 9:06am On Oct 18, 2018
grin
Saraki has been humbled, he is just aproving babas request right left and center.
He is trying to hold on to senate presidency since he lost out to atiku the alibaba of pdp

Lol, but akpabio about to kick his asss out
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by dazzlingd(m): 9:11am On Oct 18, 2018
Pls is this man mad?? Why is he mortgaging the soul of the country.
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by PassingShot(m): 9:12am On Oct 18, 2018
[s]
Slimmacho:

Having a low GDP with high debts means you have no propensity to pay back as your economy can't generate enough to payback.

I also believe you are very ignorant because the 2017 and 2018 budgets were meant to be funded by more than 60% on loans, this consists of both recurring and capital expenditures.
This is the first time in Nigeria whereby more than 50% of the budgets will depend on loans.

Maybe you are living in a different country because we can't see new capital projects except the ones initiated and almost finished projects by the last regimes which the new regime are taking glory of.

We saw a benchmark of below $30 per barrel Crude oil used to calculate the projected revenue in the budget. But no one is talking about the fact that Crude oil is above $75 per barrel, they are still complaining of low oil prices.

The problem we have in Nigeria is ignorance, people like you chose to be ignorant because you are partisan.

One more thing, I'd always thought that Buhari is the only DOTARD we have around,people like you who thinks the Economy is doing better now should simply be tagged FOOLISH!
SHAME ON YOU!
[/s]
A complete load of rubbish from a frustrated brainwashed d0lt!
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Reference(m): 9:18am On Oct 18, 2018
PassingShot:

- Is it sustainable?

Kudos to PMB and PYO.

No sir. It is your ability to repay that matters not essentially your GDP. Our GDP is almost wholy tied to one commodity and five IOC's. This danger is what makes the taking of loans incomparable to the others. Our risk is much, much more adverse. The best economic model involves increasing productivity. If America takes loans it is to finance America almost 90 percent, if Britain takes loans it is to finance British businesses, if China takes loans it is to build Chinese infrastructure by the Chinese. If Nigeria takes loans half of it remains abroad by giving it back to the Chinese, Germans, British and Americans to build infrastructure for us.

I repeat again. Infrastructure is the biggest scam in public finances. It is often shrouded in secret. Credit conditions are rarely in the public domain and efficiency are terribly low. It is common knowledge that our roads cost more than most places on earth, our airports are heavily overpriced, our dollar to megawatt power delivery ratio is meteoric. Stadiums, rail lines, seaports, all funded by loans cost more and yet account for huge capital flight. So how can you co oare tne effect of loans the developed world takes to what we disastrously take.

Any infrastructure that is not executed to the wholistic benefit of the country in creating jobs, stimulating businesses and establiahing skills and technology cannot profit the economy. If the Chinese want to invest in Nigeria they should BOT rail infrastructure. If the Germans want to invest in bridges and roads they should build and toll. If Hyundai Heavy wants to invest in seaports they should recoup from port charges. If GE wants to build power stations they should register as a GENCO. But if we are taking loans for infrastructure the monies should end up in the pockets of Nigerian engineers, wholly Nigerian companies and the weather beaten Nigerian labour force. Then it will have a real, positive impact on our GDP.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Slimmacho: 9:20am On Oct 18, 2018
PataAlhaja:

Am so sad the way people who aren't economist come here to gibberish nonsense.
The deal with China is a bad one.
Firstly, Chinese have reduced the risks of future dollar inflation on their part and Nigeria pays for it.
Secondly, Nigeria has no hold on Local content, so the Chinese may decide to bypass the Local Content.
Thirdly, Nigeria can't direct them to venture into community development projects.
Fourthly, Nigeria can't determine the pace of the project.
Also, Nigeria is being indirectly colonized by China. Those who have worked with Chinese will know how wickedly they treat their subjects.
There are other factors more technical to discuss here but I can assure you, the deal is very unwise and I blame Nigeria Economic teams for going into such.

SMH
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Slimmacho: 9:24am On Oct 18, 2018
Reference:

No sir. It is your ability to repay that matters not essentially your GDP. Our GDP is almost wholy tied to one commodity and five IOC's. This danger is what makes the taking of loans incomparable to the others. Our risk is much, much more adverse. The best economic model involves increasing productivity. If America takes loans it is to finance America almost 90 percent, if Britain takes loans it is to finance British businesses, if China takes loans it is to build Chinese infrastructure by the Chinese. If Nigeria takes loans half of it remains abroad by giving it back to the Chinese, Germans, British and Americans to build infrastructure for us.

I repeat again. Infrastructure is the biggest scam in public finances. It is often shrouded in secret. Credit conditions are rarely in the public domain and efficiency are terribly low. It is common knowledge that our roads cost more than most places on earth, our airports are heavily overpriced, our dollar to megawatt power delivery ratio is meteoric. Stadiums, rail lines, seaports, all funded by loans cost more and yet account for huge capital flight. So how can you co oare tne effect of loans the developed world takes to what we disastrously take.

Any infrastructure that is not executed to the wholistic benefit of the country in creating jobs, stimulating businesses and establiahing skills and technology cannot profit the economy. If the Chinese want to invest in Nigeria they should BOT rail infrastructure. If the Germans want to invest in bridges and roads they should build and toll. If Hyundai Heavy wants to invest in seaports they should recoup from port charges. If GE wants to build power stations they should register as a GENCO. But if we are taking loans for infrastructure the monies should end up in the pockets of Nigerian engineers, wholly Nigerian companies and the weather beaten Nigerian labour force. Then it will have a real, positive impact on our GDP.

Smart Talk Bro.
It's obvious many don't really understand stuff, they just read some OP somewhere and come here spitting trash

1 Like

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by chernest2002: 9:24am On Oct 18, 2018
Before this month it was sharing of Abacha recovered loots to poor and today it's borrowing of more money for infrastructure, which kind government is this? How are we sure that is for infrastructure and not campaign, only God can save Nigeria from poor and wicked leadership of buhari.

1 Like

Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by Slimmacho: 9:26am On Oct 18, 2018
PataAlhaja:

Am so sad the way people who aren't economist come here to gibberish nonsense.
The deal with China is a bad one.
Firstly, Chinese have reduced the risks of future dollar inflation on their part and Nigeria pays for it.
Secondly, Nigeria has no hold on Local content, so the Chinese may decide to bypass the Local Content.
Thirdly, Nigeria can't direct them to venture into community development projects.
Fourthly, Nigeria can't determine the pace of the project.
Also, Nigeria is being indirectly colonized by China. Those who have worked with Chinese will know how wickedly they treat their subjects.
There are other factors more technical to discuss here but I can assure you, the deal is very unwise and I blame Nigeria Economic teams for going into such.

SMH
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by KanwuliaMama: 9:49am On Oct 18, 2018
More LOANS!
Nigeria and BORROW-BORROW ECONOMY!
All HYPER-INFATED WITH CORRUPTION!

CHANGE is HERE! cheesy
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by onenaija001(m): 9:51am On Oct 18, 2018
Concerning this bank charges it's a welcome development if it truly materialises.
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by PassingShot(m): 9:58am On Oct 18, 2018
Reference:

I can't disagree with all you have written here. It's the more reason I stated in my original post that loans are now been taken for infrastructures rather than expenditures that add no value to our development.

If you check your facts well, the current govt only borrows for roads, rail, power projects and similar infrastructures. Not for consumption.

We equally know that some of the loans are for counterpart funding obligation and does not really translate to the money being taken to China or Germany as you suggested. For example, it could be that the Chinese say for us to finance this power plant project, the contract must be given to a Chinese company. In such situation, the government will have no choice other than to ensure it pays her own counterpart money and bargain for some Nigerians to be employed on the project. We see RCC working on Lagos/Ibadan road employing Nigerians even though RCC is a Chinese company.
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by MARKETfund: 10:03am On Oct 18, 2018
Slimmacho:

SHAME ON YOU!

Bro save your breath. Passingshot, Donphilopus with his many other alternate accounts here is one and the same person.
He is based in UK doing basically nothing until the hands of fellowship was extended to him by APC UK probably following his dexterity at bashing of the previous govt. Now he coordinates the online pro buhari zombies and their mandate is to emplore lies, blackmail, insults etc at all times to fight every dissenting views either by the oppositions or the electorate.

It is quite regretable how the mighty have fallen. To think I used to follow and admire this guy during the previous regime on his sound and trashing analysis of the govt then. You'll think that what the present regime which he fought to install is doing would be churning his tommy. Following his post here I've come to find out that he is also deep-neck into extreme religiosity and tribalism as the President which is one of his main driving force.

The likes of Doctokwus, Beremx et'al have my respect on this flatform because they wailed during the former administration too. In fact, they were his colleagues in the wailing, but today you don't need to think twice before figuring that those two and a few others like them are really patroitic wailers. They wailed for a better Nigeria and not out of share hatred for the govt of the day. I doff my hat for them!
Re: Senate Approves Pmb’s $2.786bn Loan Request by OChimex: 10:05am On Oct 18, 2018
PassingShot:

- Is it sustainable?

Kudos to PMB and PYO.

Sometimes put sentiments aside and look at things critically.

First, a good financial manager will see loan as a last resort, only when he has exhausted other options; but then will only take loan for Real Investments... (investments in CAPITAL)

Second, a poor man who takes loan just to furnish his house is seen as stark raving mad.

UK, US, China, cited as examples are far far far better, richer, industrialized, technologically advanced, developed, civilized than the bush village we call Nigeria where those things aforementioned only exist in dreams.

Lastly, u don't just wake up and continue to take loans when you haven't sat down to do a critical project evaluation, assessment and analysis on the results and impacts of the previously taken loans..

U mentioned infrastructure, yes, but ask yourself again, what infrastructure can be said to have been fixed in this country? Look at the roads, the hospitals, the railways, water ways, aviation, schools, which can be said to be working in spite of all the loans?

A critical thinker doesn't always follow things the way others follow. reason is, there are peculiarities. It is time Nigeria try other ways of solving these infrastructural problems, which we know has been a bedeviling trouble.

To be honest, with the way these loans are taking, if it continues this way for 5 Years, we will owe so much that 100% yearly budget goes to debt servicing, then at the long run, no problem is solved.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Edo APC Crisis: NWC Constitutes Facts-Finding/Reconciliation Committee / PDP: Governor Ikpeazu Does Not Intend To Join APC / Independence Anniversary: Buhari To Address The Nation On October 1, 2022 At 7am

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.