Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,759 members, 7,837,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Nobody Can Annul My Election, Ibrahim Babangida Boasts ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nobody Can Annul My Election, Ibrahim Babangida Boasts ! (523 Views)

Ibrahim Babangida As Mamman Vatsa's Bestman (Photo) / Ibrahim Babangida As Head Of State Riding With Queen Elizabeth In Her Carriage / Abdulsalami Abubakar And Ibrahim Babangida In Their Youthful Days (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nobody Can Annul My Election, Ibrahim Babangida Boasts ! by wales(m): 6:11am On Jul 16, 2010
Nigeria's former military ruler, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, has said that if he contests election and wins under the present democratic dispensation, nobody can annul it.

Mr. Babangida, who was responding to questions from journalists shortly after he paid a courtesy call to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero, implied that he was able to annul the 1993 election because at that time, he operated as a military ruler.

Mr. Babangida had in 1993 annulled the election of the late Moshood Abiola, who was believed to have won the election.

No room for annulment

Mr. Babangida, who is aspiring to be a democratically elected president in the 2011 polls, said annulling elections woud be impossible under the current democratic dispensation.

He maintained that in a democracy that is dictated by the rule of law, the people's will must prevail at all times.

"I want you to understand two things; this time, my dear friend, we are playing democracy; that is the government of the people,by the people, and for the people, using political parties and the rule of law. So, I can't see anybody annulling my election in a democratic society. Don't forget that I ran a military government," Mr. Babangida said.

He debunked insinuations that a plan is afoot for him to defect to the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), saying it is mere speculation.

"It is a speculation. You know you people (journalists) have a very fertile mind and you think about virtually everything. So you know it remains a speculation."

The retired general clarified the north's position on zoning, saying the south started the whole idea about zoning, not the north, and it is because the Peoples' Democratic Party wants to be fair that it adopted zoning.

"The whole idea of zoning started from the south, from those who feared that the north has continued to dominate the political environment since independence. And I think the complaints were genuine, and there was a party which felt that this complaint was genuine and agreed that power should rotate. And then it had the support of the people who wanted fairness, justice, and in the name of getting everybody involved on how to rule the country," he explained.

Emir denies threat to life

Earlier on, Mr. Babangida commiserated with the Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero, who survived an attempt on his life last weekend.

But the monarch, who expressed gratitude to Babangida for the visit, denied reports of an attempt on his life, saying it is just a figment of the imagination of those within the media circle.

"I know why you are here; you read in the papers that someone wanted to attack me, but we here are not aware of that. We finished our prayers and got home, before we heard in the media. I was surprised. If the person was there to do something, would he have stood up to say this is what he is to do?" Bayero asked.

The Emir then asked for prayers for the visiting retired general, advising journalists to be always sure of their news item before going to press.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5594663-146/nobody_can_annul_my_election_ibrahim.csp

Re: Nobody Can Annul My Election, Ibrahim Babangida Boasts ! by formunt(m): 9:28am On Jul 16, 2010
Fox is coming to bite IBB, this would create an everlasting scar.
Re: Nobody Can Annul My Election, Ibrahim Babangida Boasts ! by oderemo(m): 9:35am On Jul 16, 2010
Don't forget that I ran a military government," Mr. Babangida said.
hear him , RAN, like a store/wharehouse/. damn.
Re: Nobody Can Annul My Election, Ibrahim Babangida Boasts ! by rebranded(m): 10:01am On Jul 16, 2010
[size=15pt]Except God!!!, Watch Mr. IBB[/size]
Re: Nobody Can Annul My Election, Ibrahim Babangida Boasts ! by Nobody: 10:07am On Jul 16, 2010
Can't those journalists ask him why he annulled the election ?

(1) (Reply)

2011: Atiku In The Race, Says Shehu / Why Do You Love Nigeria? / Let Ibb Run And Fail –pdp Group !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.