Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Faith? What Is It 2 u: - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Faith? What Is It 2 u: (1855 Views)

Faith: What It Means To An Unprovable concept of God for the religious. / Word Of Faith:what Is Faith? / Honestly, Does D Bible Make Sense 2 U? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Faith? What Is It 2 u: by deliceshop(m): 12:48pm On Jul 19, 2010
FAITH? WHAT IS IT,

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?

Many of us do not understand the power of the impact of this words in our life could you tell us your view or share what you think about it with us.

FAITH?
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by NaijaSisi(f): 12:53pm On Jul 19, 2010
Belief in something which you have not yet seen, is written in the Bible, can't remember where exactly of the top of my head, but that is what it describes Faith as.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Jenwitemi(m): 1:08pm On Jul 19, 2010
The word, "Faith", in itself, means nothing because it is just a word like any other. It is the act of having faith/belief that is powerful and not the word. Everyone has faith or belief in one thing or the other. But before faith can release it's power, it has to be followed by action of some sort. For ex. having faith in the goodness of humanity can lead to actions that help to unluck that goodness in humanity. Faith has value only when it is backed by positive actions.

Blind faith, on the other hand, can and do lead to inactions, passiveness and or shedding of one's resposibilities. This is the kind of faith that has been taught by religions over the ages to billions of people and have become the toxin of our generation.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 3:03pm On Jul 19, 2010
Naija_Sisi:

Belief in something which you have not yet seen, is written in the Bible, can't remember where exactly of the top of my head, but that is what it describes Faith as.

Hebrews 11:1
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by NaijaSisi(f): 3:13pm On Jul 19, 2010
Joagbaje:

Hebrews 11:1
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

Yes that's it, thanks smiley
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 8:52am On Jul 20, 2010
There are different kinds of faith.
1. Strong Faith
2.weak faith
3. Big Faith/ Great faith
4. Small Faith

everybody has faith but not thesame faith . You may have faith to deal with some small issues and get results there but you need bigger faith to deal with some heavier matters. The level of faith to deal with malarial is not thesame you will need to deal with cancer. A man faith may be able to call forth 1,000 naira and it works but a bigger faith will be required for millions.

Faith needs to grow. We all have responsibility to grow our faith. If you don't grow your faith, your faith will remain small. You will only be able to achieve little things with your faith. Meditation on the word of God is the primary way to grow your faith.

Romans 10:17
17 So then faith[ cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

HOW DO YOU USE YOUR FAITH TO GET THINGS DONE

Your mouth is the instrument you use to demonstrate your faith . Your faith must be excercised in words. That what's called the Word of Faith

Romans 10:8
8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee,[ even] in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

2 Corinthians 4:13
13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak
;

1 Timothy 4:6
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

You can speak to anything, everything has inteligence in the realm of the spirit. Even inanimate objects.

[b]Matthew 21:2[/b]1
21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this[ which is done] to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by SirJohn(m): 9:15am On Jul 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

Your mouth is the instrument you use to demonstrate your faith . Your faith must be excercised in words. That what's called the Word of Faith

I dont think I completely agree with the statement above; however, I will give you the oppurtunity to explain further with reference to the scipture below which shows how some of the heros of faith demonstrarted their faith.
Rememember special emphasis on your statement: "Your mouth is the instrument you use to demonstrate your faith . Your faith must be excercised in words."

1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:

10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.

13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 10:06am On Jul 20, 2010
Sirjohn,
maybe you should make your own point clear
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by SirJohn(m): 12:13pm On Jul 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

Sirjohn,
maybe you should make your own point clear

As usual, you look for an escape route. I'm only asking that you clarify that bit of what you had said that isn't clear to me, no malicious intent!
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 12:51pm On Jul 20, 2010
Sirjohn,
I'm sure there's a point you want to pass across. If you don't agree with me fine, let's learn from you. I would have been able to respond appropriately if I know where you're going . Ofcourse the issue of faith is broad beyond few paragraph. I'm not dodging anything. There is prayer of faith , word of faith or confession of faith and there are deeds/ actions of faith also.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by nuclearboy(m): 1:35pm On Jul 20, 2010
^^^ Yet you said your mouth is the instrument you use to demonstrate your faith and that it must be exercised by WORDS.

SirJohn has simply shown you Biblical definitions of faith including "trusting God", "sacrifice to God", "pleasing life", "believing God" and "obeying God".

Strangely, NOT a single one of these involved the "mouth" or "exercising with words".

SirJohn's Bible must be a fake one and wrong since you absolutely most definitely CANNOT be wrong.

bad SirJohn. bad Bible! cry
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by SirJohn(m): 3:25pm On Jul 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

Sirjohn,
I'm sure there's a point you want to pass across. If you don't agree with me fine, let's learn from you. I would have been able to respond appropriately if I know where you're going . Ofcourse the issue of faith is broad beyond few paragraph. I'm not dodging anything. There is prayer of faith , word of faith or confession of faith and there are deeds/ actions of faith also.

Like I said Joagbaje, no hard feelings, just trying to iron out some inconsistencies in your statement. now your last post clearly show that you admit faith can be demonstrated in various ways; however, in your first post you said: "Your faith must be excercised in words." and that is where I have an issue.
I wonder if you'd be humble enough to rephrase your initial statement maybe by removing the word 'must' that way you reduce the inconsistency in your statement.
Thank you

Joagbaje:

Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 3:50pm On Jul 20, 2010
Ok I remove "must". I get your point but my point Is that faith has a voice. Words are associated with faith. The heroes of faith had their own confessions.

Hebrews 11:13
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of[ them], and embraced[ them], and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Abraham had his confession in his name. Jacob, Joseph David,Solomon etc.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by eyzhvntsn: 3:50pm On Jul 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

There are different kinds of faith.
1. Strong Faith
2.weak faith
3. Big Faith/ Great faith
4. Small Faith

everybody has faith but not thesame faith . You may have faith to deal with some small issues and get results there but you need bigger faith to deal with some heavier matters. The level of faith to deal with malarial is not thesame you will need to deal with cancer. A man faith may be able to call forth 1,000 naira and it works but a bigger faith will be required for millions.

Faith needs to grow. We all have responsibility to grow our faith. If you don't grow your faith, your faith will remain small. You will only be able to achieve little things with your faith. Meditation on the word of God is the  primary way to grow your faith.

While we are on the subject of clarification, this part is what I do not understand because Romans 12: 3 at the end says God has dealt to every man THE measure of faith. How then do you quantify faith? If one does not have faith, one is in unbelief. So then is it faith that is grown or does one grow in the knowledge of the application of faith to situations?
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by SirJohn(m): 4:13pm On Jul 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

Ok I remove "must". I get your point but my point Is that faith has a voice. Words are associated with faith. The heroes of faith had their own confessions.

Hebrews 11:13
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of[ them], and embraced[ them], and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Abraham had his confession in his name. Jacob, Joseph David,Solomon etc.

Good boy! I'm sure you never knew how wrong that statement was until today; you probably have taught your members so. I don't completely blame it on you, its a belief generally taught within the WOF circles. Bible faith in the most simple terms is 'trusting God' whether it is demonstrated by our confession, thoughts, wishes, actions/deeds, lifestyle etc.
WOF makes faith complicated so they can always blame you for not receiving; for example they say you were not healed because you didn't exercise enough faith. the very fact that faith cannot be measured on a scale makes their doctrine look infallible but we know better.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 4:26pm On Jul 20, 2010
SirJohn:

Good boy! I'm sure you never knew how wrong that statement was until today; you probably have taught your members so. I don't completely blame it on you, its a belief generally taught within the WOF circles. Bible faith in the most simple terms is 'trusting God' whether it is demonstrated by our confession, thoughts, wishes, actions/deeds, lifestyle etc.
WOF makes faith complicated so they can always blame you for not receiving; for example they say you were not healed because you didn't exercise enough faith. the very fact that faith cannot be measured on a scale makes their doctrine look infallible but we know better.

I removed it , not because it was wrong, but for the fact that no explanation was given. Ofcourse you are to be blamed for not recieving. Would you rather blame God. God has finished his work concerning us. It is left for us to recieve.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 4:35pm On Jul 20, 2010
eyzhvntsn:

While we are on the subject of clarification, this part is what I do not understand because Romans 12: 3 at the end says God has dealt to every man THE measure of faith. How then do you quantify faith? If one does not have faith, one is in unbelief. So then is it faith that is grown or does one grow in the knowledge of the application of faith to situations?

it is both ways . One has to grow in the knowledge of The word and one has to grow in the excercise of his faith.
A man may have small faith and yet be very strong small faith. He could get great result with that small strong faith. Another may have big faith and yet be weak in that big faith. He may not have much result. It is good to have big faith and be strong in it.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by eyzhvntsn: 4:44pm On Jul 20, 2010
No offence Sir joagbaje but that does not make sense to me o. How do u have small yet strong faith or big yet weak faith? How do u measure faith in quantity or quality?

Also you say that
Joagbaje:

it is both ways . One has to grow in the knowledge of The word and[b] one has to grow in the excercise of his faith.[/b]

If one has to grow in the exercise of one's faith then How do u measure faith?
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by SirJohn(m): 5:09pm On Jul 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

I removed it , not because it was wrong, but for the fact that no explanation was given. Ofcourse you are to be blamed for not recieving. Would you rather blame God. God has finished his work concerning us. It is left for us to recieve.

I appreciate your humility, dont spoil it dude undecided

Good, you are gradually going where I want you to be. Have you ever considered that most Christians 'believe amiss' and consequently ask amiss? for example a christian may have been taught by a WOF preacher like you that he can call forth money grin grin or that God promised him 'divine health' (a lifetime without any form of sickness or any physical ailment); he believes it with all his heart, but doesn't get it. what will joagbaje tell him?
"Oh you have to develop your faith'

1 John 3:22
and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.

1 5:14
This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 6:30pm On Jul 20, 2010
eyzhvntsn:

No offence Sir joagbaje but that does not make sense to me o. How do u have small yet strong faith or big yet weak faith? How do u measure faith in quantity or quality?

Also you say that
If one has to grow in the exercise of one's faith then How do u measure faith?

A man's level of faith is based on his knowledge in Gods word. We all recieve equal measure of faith at salvation. But our faith is not developed equaly , because we hear differently. That is why where we worship matters. Someone believes he shall know his fate of salvation in heaven another believes he is saved now.
Some other believes whatever happens to us like suffering is from God. The lord giveth , the lord taketh. But someone else believes we have a choice to live a good life.

A good example is the issue of sickness. A man at a level believe sickness is from God and there is no need praying against it. He only prays for God to see him through to remain faithful to God without compromising his relationship. He prays that God gives him faith to endure. But another has a bigger faith based on the understanding that it is Satan that brought the sickness. He knows God can But he is not sure if God will want to heal him since God has many people he is concerned about. So he prays if it is the will of God for him to survive let it be.
But yet another has the understanding that it is the will of God for him to be healed so he prays to God to heal him and have mercy saying " I know my redeemer liveth" some day I will come out of this " my lord will answer my prayer". But another one has an understanding that he doesn't need to talk to God about his sickness. He has been healed 2000 years ago. Jesus has paid the price and he has authority over the power of darkness. He Is a master to Satan and his demons. He doesn't need to beg God or beg Satan . he exercise his authority and rebuke the devil and command the pain to go. And he becomes free.

Now all these are expressions of faith at different level. Different sizes. The size of your faith is simply based in your awareness in God. but the strenght of your faith is based on your use of your faith. If you have faith and you don't. Put it to work , it will soon be a dead faith even though you have so much awareness and bible quotation. Yet someone else doesn't have so much knowledge of the bible , but the little he knows , he put it to work, he will have greater result than Mr theology who can't cast a devil out.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by eyzhvntsn: 6:44pm On Jul 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

A man's level of faith is based on his knowledge in Gods word. We all recieve equal measure of faith at salvation. But our faith is not developed equaly , because we hear differently. That is why where we worship matters. Someone believes he shall know his fate of salvation in heaven another believes he is saved now.
Some other believes whatever happens to us like suffering is from God. The lord giveth , the lord taketh. But someone else believes we have a choice to live a good life.

A good example is the issue of sickness. A man at a level believe sickness is from God and there is no need praying against it. He only prays for God to see him through to remain faithful to God without compromising his relationship. He prays that God gives him faith to endureBut another has a bigger faith based on the understanding that it is Satan that brought the sickness. He knows God can But he is not sure if God will want to heal him since God has many people he is concerned about. So he prays if it is the will of God for him to survive let it be.
But yet another has the understanding that it is the will of God for him to be healed so he prays to God to heal him and have mercy saying " I know my redeemer liveth" some day I will come out of this " my lord will answer my prayer". But another one has an understanding that he doesn't need to talk to God about his sickness. He has been healed 2000 years ago. Jesus has paid the price and he has authority over the power of darkness. He Is a master to Satan and his demons. He doesn't need to beg God or beg Satan . he exercise his authority and rebuke the devil and command the pain to go. And he becomes free.

Now all these are expressions of faith at different level. Different sizes. The size of your faith is simply based in your awareness in God. but the strenght of your faith is based on your use of your faith. If you have faith and you don't. Put it to work , it will soon be a dead faith even though you have so much awareness and bible quotation.  Yet someone else doesn't have so much knowledge of the bible , but the little he knows , he put it to work, he will have greater result than Mr theology who can't cast a devil out.   

All of the things you have mentioned in bold are ways of thinking based on wrong teaching or ignorance and do not justify you saying that there are different kinds of faith. Sorry 'sir'!!! Fa fa fa FOUL!!!

As for the part in red,  undecided
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 6:49pm On Jul 20, 2010
SirJohn:

I appreciate your humility, dont spoil it dude undecided

Good, you are gradually going where I want you to be. Have you ever considered that most Christians 'believe amiss' and consequently ask amiss? for example a christian may have been taught by a WOF preacher like you that he can call forth money grin grin or that God promised him 'divine health' (a lifetime without any form of sickness or any physical ailment); he believes it with all his heart, but doesn't get it. what will joagbaje tell him?
"Oh you have to develop your faith'

1 John 3:22
and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.

1 5:14
This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us

What is his will?. His will has to do with his provisions for  us in christ Jesus. His will is in accordance with his word. I cant pray for another man's wife for example . God wont grant that.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 6:55pm On Jul 20, 2010
eyzhvntsn:

All of the things you have mentioned in bold are ways of thinking based on wrong teaching or ignorance and do not justify you saying that there are different kinds of faith. Sorry 'sir'!!! Fa fa fa FOUL!!!
As for the part in red, undecided

I know you are one of them anti faith. Im just playing along with your artificial humility. But you came out too soon. You should have allowed us to play the game longer. You may have one or two things to learn.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by eyzhvntsn: 7:11pm On Jul 20, 2010
Ah!!!! Eeya and I am not anti-faith o (remember without faith it is impossible to please Him wink). As for artificial humility, u might be right there, I am work in progress grin.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 7:21pm On Jul 20, 2010
eyzhvntsn:

Ah!!!! Eeya and I am not anti-faith o (remember without faith it is impossible to please Him wink). As for artificial humility, u might be right there, I am work in progress grin.

Well you didnt give any explanation. my fa fa fa foul teaching of ignorance. Lets get to the word
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by eyzhvntsn: 7:27pm On Jul 20, 2010
Ok, please explain from the word about diff kinds of faith
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by deliceshop(m): 10:47pm On Jul 20, 2010
muslim faith can we call that faith

because similar to what you have been saying here the muslim take action on what the say and have faith towards its
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by SirJohn(m): 12:20pm On Jul 21, 2010
Joagbaje:

What is his will?. His will has to do with his provisions for us in christ Jesus. His will is in accordance with his word. I cant pray for another man's wife for example . God wont grant that.

Wow! off all examples in the world is this the best you can come up with? 'praying for another mans wife' we're talking of common real life scenarios and you're talking of another mans wife, how many christians would pray for that?
I gave an example in my last post which you ignored (as usual).

Now joagbaje, is calling forth money part of his provisions for us in christ Jesus? is divine health part of his provisions for us in christ Jesus?
I'm curious to know and I need good biblical explanation
Thank you!
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by SirJohn(m): 11:26am On Jul 23, 2010
where is Joagbaje?? cheesy cheesy
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by manmustwac(m): 11:58am On Jul 23, 2010
Faith means not wanting to know what is true
-Friedrich Nietzsche

1 Like

Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by Joagbaje(m): 1:13pm On Jul 23, 2010
SirJohn:

Now joagbaje, is calling forth money part of his provisions for us in christ Jesus? is divine health part of his provisions for us in christ Jesus?
I'm curious to know and I need good biblical explanation
Thank you!

The word of God speaks for itself sir.

2 Corinthians 8:9
9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.
Re: Faith? What Is It 2 u: by SirJohn(m): 3:30pm On Jul 23, 2010
Joagbaje:

The word of God speaks for itself sir.

2 Corinthians 8:9
9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

How does the above scripture support the 'money cometh' doctrine?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do You Believe In What You Believe In??? / Four Evils People Do For Their Love Of Money / It's Official: God does not exist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.