Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,540 members, 7,823,369 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? (63479 Views)

The Original Yoruba Word For Wife Is Aya Not Iyawo. / Can Anyone From The Esan Tribe Tell Me What Iyawo Uwe Kakabor Means?????? / What does the word 'Biafra' mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 11, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

God punish you grin
i guess you will like it if I use IYAWO = BONDAGE for the man .
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 11, 2011
~Bluetooth:

i guess you will like it if I use IYAWO = BONDAGE for the man .

No. LOL

"Happiness for the man" is better.

ANYWAYZ, YOU GUYS SHOULD NOT MUTILATE MY LANGUAGE.
IN THE YORUBA LANGUAGE, IYAWO = WIFE.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Apr 11, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

No. LOL

"Happiness for the man" is better.

ANYWAYZ, YOU GUYS SHOULD NOT MUTILATE MY LANGUAGE.
IN THE YORUBA LANGUAGE, IYAWO = WIFE.

I dey lavv. . .if all marriage are filled with happiness,che moi sef for don marry na ! grin
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by iyawoochu: 8:03am On Apr 14, 2011
Si claro que yo se espanol soy santera estoy de iyawo tengo 1 mes nada mas mi mama es ochun y mi papa chango i hate people that talk what they dnt kno so yes iyawo is a rebirth of a person for the 1st year . it dosnt mean wife everyone is making these things up take if from someone that IS A IYAWO (ME]
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 14, 2011
^^in your culture, that's what iyawo means.

in nigeria, iyawo is wife.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by iyawoochu: 8:08am On Apr 14, 2011
BRO iTS NOT A CULTURE i DONT KNOW WHERE YOU LiVE BUT THYS RELiGiONS COME FROM AFRiCA AND LAST TYME i CHECKED iT MEANS THE REBiRTH OF A PERSON THE OLD PERSON DiES AND BECOMEZ SOME ONE NEW iTZS NO WHERE CLOSE TO BEiNG A WiFE , i DONT KNOW WHERE EVERYONE iS GETTN THERE iNFO BUT THATS VERY WRONG
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 14, 2011
^are you seriously arguing with nigerians about the meaning of iyawo?

i think what you have in mind is "awo" which means cult or orisha religion.

iyawo as wife has a different pronounciation and meaning and has nothing to do with "awo".
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by iyawoochu: 8:11am On Apr 14, 2011
LOL NO YOU SHOULD KNOW NiGERiANS ARE THE BiGGEST BELiEVERS OF THYS RELiGiON HOW COULD iT HAVE SLiPPED UP ? undecided TRUST iN MY WORDDD THAT WORD WAS MADE UP ONLY iN RELiGiOUS TERMSSSS THAT WORD DOSNT EXSIST ANYWHERE ELSEE !!!
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 14, 2011
^^check my post again. I added an explanation for your benefit.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by iyawoochu: 8:14am On Apr 14, 2011
OMG iVE NEVER iN MY LiFE HERD OF iYAWO MEANiNG WiFE ? iDKK BUT I MEAN YU GUYS ARE GREAT BELiEVERS
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by InkedNerd(f): 9:15am On Apr 14, 2011
iyawo ochu:

Si claro que yo se espanol soy santera estoy de iyawo tengo 1 mes nada mas mi mama es ochun y mi papa chango i hate people that talk what they dnt kno so yes iyawo is a rebirth of a person for the 1st year . it dosnt mean wife everyone is making these things up take if from someone that IS A IYAWO (ME]

No one is making up anything. The word you are arguing about is a Yoruba word and is derived from the Yoruba language. If anyone would have an understanding of the word, it would be the original speakers of the language. Your argument on what 'iyawo' means would be like me arguing with you on what the word 'claro' means. Being that you are a Spanish speaker and familiar with the Spanish language, I would assume you have a better understanding of the word than I would. Do you see where I'm going with this? Although I'm not Yoruba, as a Nigerian I find it quite rude and insulting that you would even sit here and say that everyone else is making all of it up. Are you even familiar with the Yoruba language for you to even make such a statement?

Hmmmm just wondering, are you Cuban?
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by hola1974: 4:32am On Jul 11, 2011
what does “tani o tun fe larin awon guys yi” mean?
and "mio ma sise lati ojo yi,"
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by BABE3: 4:35am On Jul 11, 2011
^^ It's either "Who do you want among these guys?" OR " Who are you dating among these guyz?"
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by rabzy: 11:12am On Jul 13, 2011
iyawo ochu:

EXCUSEE ME . OKAY iYAWO DOSNT MEAN WiFE ; BECAUSE AS WE SPEAK i AM A iYAWO iT MEANS THE REBiRTH OF A PERSON A CHANGE iN LiFE THAT WAT iT MEANS iN YORUBA TERMS iTS PART OF THE SANTERiA RELiGiON , i HAVE TO BE DRESSED iN WHiTE COMiNG HOME AT CERTAiN HOURS WEARiNG BEADS OR WHAT NOT ONCE AGAiN iT MEANS THE REBiRTH OF A PERSON THE 1ST YEAR THEY HAVE TO DRESS iN WHiTE AND EVERYTHING CANT TAKE PiCTURES i SHOULD KNOW CAUSE i DiD SANTO ONCE AGAiN AND AM A iYAWO , (: THANK YOUUU

- OCHUN Y CHANGO <3

There is just a mix-up here, This lady is a priestess. She is a worshipper of Chango, which is the caribbean name for the yoruba God Shango. Ochun most probably is also from the name of sango's second wife Osun. So Osun is the Iyawo or wife of Shango. So Iyawo could have been turned into title for a priestess of Shango. It Could probably also mean another word as tpia as noted, Iya-awo, which is the real Title of a priestess in Yoruba Land. The man is calle Olu-awo or Oluwo.

So this is an opportunity for iyawo ochu to learn. You guys have a corrupted version of words and terms over there. Am not denigrating your religion, but am just saying several of those terms have been mispronounced and maybe mis-applied.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by MzBabs(f): 3:39am On Sep 27, 2011
Just means wife. No more, no less.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Oyinbo22: 7:36am On Apr 27, 2012
I'm not even Yoruba and I know iya is mother- iyawo is wife and iyawo mi means my wife- it could definitely mean something in another language but in Yoruba iyawo means wife!
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by anonymous6(f): 12:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
wife in yoruba
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 06, 2012
anonymous6: wife in yoruba

Will you be my iyawo?
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by anonymous6(f): 3:11pm On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex:

Will you be my iyawo?

I'm already engaged to a yoruba man cool wink, lol but thanks; I am surprised you haven't gotten a iyawo yet. Some one like you needs a good african cultured women
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
iyawo ochu: EXCUSEE ME . OKAY iYAWO DOSNT MEAN WiFE ; BECAUSE AS WE SPEAK i AM A iYAWO iT MEANS THE REBiRTH OF A PERSON A CHANGE iN LiFE THAT WAT iT MEANS iN YORUBA TERMS iTS PART OF THE SANTERiA RELiGiON , i HAVE TO BE DRESSED iN WHiTE COMiNG HOME AT CERTAiN HOURS WEARiNG BEADS OR WHAT NOT ONCE AGAiN iT MEANS THE REBiRTH OF A PERSON THE 1ST YEAR THEY HAVE TO DRESS iN WHiTE AND EVERYTHING CANT TAKE PiCTURES i SHOULD KNOW CAUSE i DiD SANTO ONCE AGAiN AND AM A iYAWO , (: THANK YOUUU

- OCHUN Y CHANGO <3
Dear Madam.
Someone asked about the word "Iyawó". They have not asked what it means Iyawó in Cuba. The Yoruba language is from Yorubaland, not Cuba. It is true that the term has religious connotations Iyawo in Africa and America, but it is not here to talk about Santeria.
My respects.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:47pm On Jul 06, 2012
Inked_Nerd:

No one is making up anything. The word you are arguing about is a Yoruba word and is derived from the Yoruba language. If anyone would have an understanding of the word, it would be the original speakers of the language. Your argument on what 'iyawo' means would be like me arguing with you on what the word 'claro' means. Being that you are a Spanish speaker and familiar with the Spanish language, I would assume you have a better understanding of the word than I would. Do you see where I'm going with this? Although I'm not Yoruba, as a Nigerian I find it quite rude and insulting that you would even sit here and say that everyone else is making all of it up. Are you even familiar with the Yoruba language for you to even make such a statement?

Hmmmm just wondering, are you Cuban?

Exactly.
Nobody can be more realistic than the King.
I am a foreigner, but never argue with a Yoruba on your tongue.
I think some posts are made by a genetic thing, and some unfortunate statements of Prof. W. Abimbola about what is Santeria.
Hopefully better times, or at least with less arrogance.
My compliments, dear friend!
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:59pm On Jul 06, 2012
I'm a foreigner. I do not speak Yoruba, and I would like to see dear friends:
I have understood that the term Iyawó means "wife."
However, sometimes I've seen the word applied Iyá as "mother" (Iya mi = my mother). Am I wrong?
If the word Iyawo was actually a conjunction (very common in the Yoruba language) of Iyá + wo ... could have another meaning?

In Yoruba mythology, is said to Oshun (Osun) was awarded the title of IyaOloodé (Lady of the market, or mother of the market) someone could expand on this?

The thread is very interesting, and is developing very seriously and respect.
I hope I have offended anyone with my statement.
A cordial and affectionate greeting!
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2012
anonymous6:
I'm already engaged to a yoruba man cool wink, lol but thanks; I am surprised you haven't gotten a iyawo yet. Some one like you needs a good african cultured women

Who is a "good african cultured woman?"
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ptolomeus: I'm a foreigner. I do not speak Yoruba, and I would like to see dear friends:
I have understood that the term Iyawó means "wife."
However, sometimes I've seen the word applied Iyá as "mother" (Iya mi = my mother). Am I wrong?

Nah, you're not wrong.. Iya mi = my mother.

If the word Iyawo was actually a conjunction (very common in the Yoruba language) of Iyá + wo ... could have another meaning?

Iyawo means wife, and it doesn't have another meaning as far as I know.

In Yoruba mythology, is said to Oshun (Osun) was awarded the title of IyaOloodé (Lady of the market, or mother of the market) someone could expand on this?

Iyalode or IyaOloodé is a chieftaincy title reserved for women in Yoruba kingdom as far as I know. I hope someone who understands the language better can explain it better to you.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by anonymous6(f): 6:49pm On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex:

Who is a "good african cultured woman?"

I think you will know when you bump into one but let me rephrase, a good african women, lol
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
anonymous6:

I think you will know when you bump into one but let me rephrase, a good african women, lol

Who do these good african women live? grin
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by anonymous6(f): 7:09pm On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex:

Who do these good african women live? grin

every where, lol. Church(not all females there though), nigerian festivals; even by world of mouth to older Nigerian women(including your mother, aunts, grandmother), sister, female cousins they would know the best more then you, since they know how to detect genuine cultured african or Nigerian women. That's how I met my fiance it was through his sister, who I know.
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
anonymous6:

every where, lol. Church(not all females there though), nigerian festivals; even by world of mouth to older Nigerian women(including your mother, aunts, grandmother), sister, female cousins they would know the best more then you, since they know how to detect genuine cultured african or Nigerian women. That's how I met my fiance it was through his sister, who I know.

I'm not a fan of matchmaking, I prefer meeting my chics myself.. grin

Ermm... I have met you now, can I see a picture? wink grin
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by anonymous6(f): 7:55pm On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex:

I'm not a fan of matchmaking, I prefer meeting my chics myself.. grin

Ermm... I have met you now, can I see a picture? wink grin

oh ok, well I don't put pictures of myself online on forums, sorry but I am the same skin shade as omotola jalade ekenide or stella demascus, and I am 5'8" medium curvy built
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 06, 2012
anonymous6:

oh ok, well I don't put pictures of myself online on forums, sorry but I am the same skin shade as omotola jalade ekenide or stella demascus, and I am 5'8" medium curvy built

Hmmm.. wink I'm about to fall in love.. wink

I'm 6'2..

So, do you have the Yoruba ikebe factor, hun? grin

We can do the email thing, what do you think?
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by anonymous6(f): 12:08am On Jul 07, 2012
shymmex:

Hmmm.. wink I'm about to fall in love.. wink

I'm 6'2..

So, do you have the Yoruba ikebe factor, hun? grin

We can do the email thing, what do you think?

yeah I have a behind but I have fiance now, so I can't lol
Re: What Does 'Iyawo' Mean? by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 07, 2012
anonymous6:

yeah I have a behind but I have fiance now, so I can't lol

Erm.. Don't worry, no one is going to find out. wink

I promise I won't tell no one. *J. Holiday's voice*

Send me a PM, I'm following you. wink grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Machina Emirate Yobe: Where Snakes Pay Homage To King / IRIA - A Virgin Festival In Okrika, Rivers State / Aramide Shekinat Celebrates Her 40th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.