Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition (12285 Views)

2027: Lagos APC Stakeholders Push For Ambode’s Candidacy / EFCC Secures Arrest Warrant For Diezani Madueke As Extradition Proceedings Begin / EFCC To Ayo Fayose: See You Soon (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Islie: 7:03am On Nov 05, 2018
by Yusuf Alli, Abuja

Former Petroleum Resources Minister Diezani Alison-Madueke is to be extradited from Britain, The Nation
learnt yesterday.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is to approach Attorney-General of the Federation Abubakar Malami( SAN) this week with a request to file charges against Mrs Alison-Madueke based on its findings.

As part of its investigation, the EFCC has traced N47.2 billion and $487.5million to the ex-minister, it was gathered.

Besides, about N23,446,300,000 and $5milion (about N1.5billion) have been located in various Nigerian banks.
But only about $37.5million Banana Island property has been finally forfeited by the ex-minister.

Justice Chuka Obiozor of the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, ordered the final forfeiture of the property.

According to a fact-sheet The Nation
stumbled on, the EFCC has concluded the investigation of the allegations against Mrs Alison-Madueke.

More than 50 suspects in some of the cases linked with her have been arraigned in court, especially the alleged N23.29billion 2015 poll bribe.

The EFCC review team felt it will be “in the interest of justice to extradite the ex-minister to Nigeria for trial”. She is believed to be in Britain.

Some of the investigated allegations against the ex-Minister, with substantial evidence, include the following:
release of $1.3b NNPC cash to the Office of the national Security Adviser (ONSA) in 2014 to fight kidnapping in Niger Delta;

•whereabouts of $18.5billion earnings by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC);

•$15.8billion NLNG dividends between 2000 and 2014( especially about $9b component between 2010 and 2015);

•$1.7billion oil contracts involving Mrs Alison-Madueke and two business associates;

•N23.29b 2015 poll bribery scam;
$37.5m property on Banana Island; and
acquisition of many properties at home, in Britain, and in the UAE

A source, who spoke in confidence, said: “The EFCC has reached a convenient bend to request for the extradition of Diezani from the UK. Most of the cases against her have reached maturity level for her trial at home.

“The commission will formally approach the Attorney-General of the Federation, Mallam Abubakar Malami( SAN) to assist it to invoke the extradition treaty between Nigeria and the UK against Diezani.

“Through the office of the AGF, appropriate charges will be filed in court to commence the process for the extradition of the ex-Minister.”

Responding to a question, the source added: “The extradition process is without prejudice to the ongoing investigation of Diezani in the UK.

“The US end of Diezani probe has been done. The EFCC has also hauled evidence to the UK to assist the authorities. Some detectives from the UK have visited this country too.

“For the Nigerian flank of the probe, it is necessary to extradite Diezani to answer allegations against her.”

The source, however, added that the AGF has the final say on whether or not to initiate the extradition process. He stressed that all the allegations against the former minister are within the extradition treaty between Nigeria and the UK.

The laws guiding extradition in Nigeria include:
The Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) with extradition matter within the purview of the Federal High Court.

•The Extradition Act, Cap E 25, Laws of the Federation, 2010

•The Immigration Act, Cap 11, Laws of the Federation, 2010

•Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015.
• The Evidence Act, Cap E14, Laws of the Federation, 2010.

• Twice, the embattled former minister has defended some of the allegations against her.

On the N23.29m poll bribery cash, she said: “In the face of the obvious falsification of facts and misinformation, it is only right and proper that the EFCC should publish the details of the $153.3million lodgements, the bank account numbers and the account beneficiaries, showing proof of my link to them.

“Having also alleged that the said $153.3million was ‘wired’ from NNPC, the EFCC should also publish details of the NNPC accounts from where the said $153.3 million was taken, with proof that I authorised such a transaction/transactions, acting either in my private capacity or as The Honourable Minister of Petroleum.

“Let me state for the record that as Minister of Petroleum, the operation and management of NNPC finances were outside my purview as outlined in both the Petroleum Act and the NNPC Act.

“The only involvement I had in NNPC finances was in terms of statutory matters, where the Petroleum Act prescribes that as minister, there were certain duties or actions which I had to perform or take in relation to NNPC.”

The ex-Minister said also that she acted on the instructions of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan in directing the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to release $1.3billion to the Office of National Security Adviser (ONSA).

She said it was not within the power or discretion of any minister to question or disregard the written directive of a president.

Although about $1.4billion was requested by the ONSA via three memos, for “Intervention for Urgent National Security Projects,” about $1.3billion was released from NNPC accounts.

But it was unclear what became of the $100million balance.

Documents revealed that ONSA had requested for $1.4billion between March 27, 2014 and May 5, 2014 when approval was given and cash backed.

About three memos were sent to ex-President Jonathan on March 27, 2014, 31st March 2014 and May 5, 2014.
But Diezani insisted that she could not be held liable for carrying out a presidential directive.

The statement said: “The attention of Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, the former Minister of Petroleum, has been drawn to a story in The Nation Newspaper of Monday 22nd January, 2018 as well as other print and online media titled “Diezani in trouble again over withdrawal of $1.3b from NNPC accounts”.

“Under Section 5 of the Constitution, all executive powers are vested in the President who may exercise it directly or through the Vice President or Ministers of the Federation. As Minister for Petroleum Resources Mrs. Alison-Madueke was an appointee and delegate of the President.

“Consequently, the Minister of Petroleum Resources acted on the basis of the written approvals and directives given by the President, which approvals were given after written requests from the relevant security agencies were made to the President.

“At such instances, as in fact the article clearly shows, a Service Chief or Intelligence Chief makes a written request/appeal to Mr. President outlining whatever urgent and critical security needs of the nation they consider imminently paramount, at any given point in time.

“If such a request received the approval of the President, the President may direct that the requested funds be drawn from a Security Budget maintained by NNPC, or that the funds be sourced from elsewhere.

“Where the President directs the Minister of Petroleum Resources, in writing, to make the payment from the NNPC, the Minister in turn, directs the GMD NNPC in writing to execute the directive of the President.

NNPC then wires the funds from one of its major foreign bank accounts, or from the CBN, directly to the stipulated account of the particular branch of the armed services, or intelligence unit, or department, that initiated the request.

“It is not within the power or discretion of any serving minister to question or disregard the written directive of a president including that of the incumbent President.

“The former Minister of Petroleum Resources in the statement stated that at no time, did she, or could she, as the Minister of Petroleum Resources, interfere with this process.”

The ex-Minister said since the disbursement of $1.3billion can be traceable, it was wrong to assume that it was diverted.

“It is, therefore, impossible and implausible, for any monies under such presidential directives to be diverted during the process, at least from the standpoint of the Minister.

“Any and all amounts approved and directed by Mr. President to be paid, were executed exclusively by NNPC, directly from NNPC’s foreign and or, Central Bank of Nigeria accounts, to the stated recipients.

“Therefore, let it be very clear, that all funds disbursed by these banking institutions on behalf of NNPC are easily and openly traceable, and the process cannot and should not be utilized for the distortion of facts.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/efcc-to-push-for-diezanis-extradition/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 05, 2018
On a more serious note, PDP stole this country blind.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Nukilia: 7:17am On Nov 05, 2018
I think EFCC is beginning to sound very very stupid! Kemi Adeosun was smuggled out of this corrupt government after using forged NYSC certificate to dupe the Nigerian state. The EFCC did not order for her arrest but they are screaming about Diezani for the past 3 Years. Shame on Buhari and his political jejune who think Nigerians are fools.

Babachir is still here in Nigeria you've not arrested and prosecuted him, but you keep going on with media trial of Madueke. Jail the woman (MADUEKE) if found wanting and don't forget to jail all those indicted in your paymasters cabinet.

89 Likes 9 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by downloadproject(f): 7:17am On Nov 05, 2018
Nigeria go better

2 Likes

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by ct2: 7:17am On Nov 05, 2018
noisy party

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by jerryunit48: 7:17am On Nov 05, 2018
Abegi... election time don come now EFCC (APC) want to be serious

24 Likes

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Business123: 7:17am On Nov 05, 2018
Hello People, I have portable bluetooth speakers for sale. Speaker lasts 12 to 15 hours if charged for 2 hours. It has mic for calls plus water proof technology. Can be used by poolside, beach, etc. More specification available on request.check my handle for my contact if interested

2 Likes

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by CarGuideNG: 7:18am On Nov 05, 2018
If charges are filed, the law should take its course.
Planning to buy a car? Customized accident/flood VIN history reports for car buyers and owners in signature.
Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Kennedy94(m): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2018
lol..
these people are never tired.When will EFCC invite gandollar

17 Likes

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by verygudbadguy(m): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2018
Nukilia:
I think EFCC is beginning to sound very very stupid! Kemi Adeosun was smuggled out of this corrupt government after using forged NYSC certificate to dupe the Nigerian state. The EFCC did not order for her arrest but they are screaming about Diezani for the past 3 Years. Shame on Buhari and his political jejune who think Nigerians are fools.

Babachir is still here in Nigeria you've not arrested and prosecuted him, but you keep going on with media trial of Madueke. Jail the woman if found wanting and don't forget to jail all those indicted in your paymasters cabinet.
Must we compare cases all the time. Kemi's case is quite from different from Diezani's. Misappropriation of funds, misuse of portfolio to gather ill wealth. These are some of Diezani's indictment.

Stop being tribal about issues. When another party wins the presidential election next, they should also probe the APC and extradite Kemi and others that have cases to answer.

That way, it would be win/win for the masses.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by computerglobal(m): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2018
sad
Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 05, 2018
Toothless bull dog. When will you push for Ganduje's? Scum scam of a government!

2 Likes

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by TRUSTEDGUY: 7:19am On Nov 05, 2018
As petroleum minister she mess up full time. Now she is exploited by the opposition party to hunt the PDP.

In their so - called fight against corruption.
Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by rusher14: 7:19am On Nov 05, 2018
Gobe.
Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Livefreeordieha(m): 7:20am On Nov 05, 2018
Nukilia:

Babachir is still here in Nigeria you've not arrested and prosecuted him, but you keep going on with media trial of Madueke. Jail the woman if found wanting and don't forget to jail all those indicted in your paymasters cabinet.
just to entertain zombies and give them orgasms to think PDP is bad and APC is key to the promise land...Meanwhile the delusional lots will never asked who were the politicians in PDP then and where are they now

I av told many people that the problem with the country is the people itself...Cognitive dissonance #

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Mahsums: 7:21am On Nov 05, 2018
Stealing is not corruption
If you know you know

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by letout: 7:21am On Nov 05, 2018
All these monies allegedly stolen by a group of persons.
Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Franklyspeakin: 7:21am On Nov 05, 2018
story
Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Corrinthians(m): 7:21am On Nov 05, 2018
Watch out, in the coming days, she's get a fresh prognoses from John Hopkins for cancer of the brain.

Thieves.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Franklyspeakin: 7:22am On Nov 05, 2018
Make i hear
Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Franklyspeakin: 7:22am On Nov 05, 2018
Na today e start

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by dykedarlyn(m): 7:22am On Nov 05, 2018
Nah, if at this point they have not being able to extradite her back here; I just don’t think they would be successful this time
Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Howmon: 7:22am On Nov 05, 2018
Must everything be made public? What happened to successfully extraditing her before making this noise. EFCC tends to be doing more of eye service than the actual job

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Standardcosting(m): 7:22am On Nov 05, 2018
Nukilia:

This is where you missed it little one,
Kemi's case may be bad, she didn't steal or misappropriat fund.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by 10mobile: 7:22am On Nov 05, 2018
If only present & future politicians and public office holders will learn from this that their days of power will CERTAINLY come to an end one day no matter what!
Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by dultmax(m): 7:23am On Nov 05, 2018
Yet....some called Gej their hero.....diesani....you are being tried in almost 4 countries, woman like you na American movies I dey see them...I no know say dem dey real life....Ganja woman

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by israelmao(m): 7:23am On Nov 05, 2018
Extradition now?EFCC is another movie industry.Alison has long asked for this to come and clear herself.

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by globalresource: 7:24am On Nov 05, 2018
Buhari's fight against corruption is a charade. Of you know you know. Even if the extradition is done. It will soon become a work over for her.

Fight against corruption is just noise to make us believe they are doing something whereas nothing is bn done

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by 46O1CE: 7:24am On Nov 05, 2018
Nukilia:

You’re the one sounding very stupid here.
All this stupid long epistle to justify and defend a criminal?
We are doomed in this country

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by don4real18(m): 7:24am On Nov 05, 2018
Nukilia:

So, she shouldn't be prosecuted because Adeosun wasn't! I don't understand some of you. I have been paying my taxes (25%) of my earnings and one stupid Deziani is stealing it. Perhaps if you were paying your tax, you wouldn't reason this way

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by Nbote(m): 7:25am On Nov 05, 2018
It is d fools dat believe all dis EFCC cock-and-bull story dat I actually feel pity for.... D same EFCC and FG who blocked her from coming back to Nigeria to face d charges dey claim to have against her? D internet and reasonable Nigerians haven't forgotten..

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/243772-efcc-blocks-ex-minister-alison-maduekes-offer-return-nigeria-trial.html
http://thenationonlineng.net/fg-rejects-diezanis-application-trial-nigeria/
https://www.thecable.ng/efcc-removes-diezani-from-money-laundering-trial/amp

dultmax:
Yet....some called Gej their hero.....diesani....you are being tried in almost 4 countries, woman like you na American movies I dey see them...I no know say dem dey real life....Ganja woman

Earthbound:
On a more serious note, PDP stole this country blind.

verygudbadguy:

Must we compare cases all the time. Kemi's case is quite from different from Diezani's. Misappropriation or funds, misuse of portfolio to gather ill wealth. These are some of Diezani's indictment.

Stop being tribal about issues. When another party wins the presidential election next, they should also probe the APC and extradite Kemi and others that have cases to answer.

That way, it would be win/win for the masses.

D essence of some of U having brains is to actually get to use dem... Those links above are from October last year wen she wanted to come down here to face d charges d govt claims to have against her. D same govt blocked it and now d same govt wants U to believe she is hiding from justice and dey want to bring her back here by force??

7 Likes

Re: EFCC To Push For Diezani’s Extradition by gratiaeo(m): 7:25am On Nov 05, 2018
What happen to Gandollar. since 2015 they couldn't do anything about this woman EFCC should go and sit down

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Soludo Sues APGA Over Disqualification / Pictures Of Rochas Okorocha's Evil Deceits In Imo State (must See) / FG Releases N72bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.