Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,257 members, 7,822,311 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! (3290 Views)

Atiku Formed Dubious Coalition With Saraki And Obj Because Of 2019 - Omatseye / Is This Funniest Political Party Name Ever? / Ohanaeze Parleys Middle Belt Youths For New Political Identity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by wales(m): 7:16am On Jul 23, 2010
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka said he formed a new political party, the Democratic Front for People Federation, DFPF so that the progressives could rally together to dethrone the ruling People’s Democratic Party, PDP.

Soyinka officially launched the party at his 76th birthday lecture yesterday in Lagos, Nigeria, saying that those who felt they were in the wrong party could come forward to join the new political party as it strategises for next year’s elections.

According to him, the party would represent a vehicle of collaboration for progressive forces, adding that the party would hold its first convention on 25 September, 2010.

The Nobel laureate had lamented that the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC under former Chairman, Professor Maurice Iwu had frustrated his earlier efforts to get the party registered during the last elections.

“Iwu probably acting on the instructions of his employers frustrated and denied the party recognition over the years, but today it is a reality,” Soyinka stated.

“The party is strictly for those who have nowhere to lay their heads, those who have discovered that they are in the wrong political party, progressives in political parties including those in the People’s Democratic Party who have the zest for positive

service,” he added.

Soyinka said the party would provide a viable political platform for its members, adding that despite opposition, the party had come to stay, saying that a group of people had been working together in the last few years to set up the party.

At the event, former Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu urged Nigerian youths to rise to the challenges of national rebirth.

In his lecture titled, Nigeria at 50: Crises of a Nation, Ribadu called on Nigerian youths to rise to the challenges of national rebirth, saying the Nigerian project is not a lost cause.

According to him, though Nigeria had missed the mark on many scores in terms of nation building, it was not too late to redirect the course, adding that many nations that had reached the brink of rupture and disintegration “have been able to survive on account of dogged will for collective redemption and with the opportunity of an imaginative leadership.”

Citing Tanzania and Somalia as examples of nations with ethnic and religious diversity on one hand, ethnic and religious homogeneity on the other, the former EFCC boss said while Tanzania, with ethnic and religious diversity, had remained the most stable and peaceful land in the region, Somalia, in spite of its homogeneity in ethnic and religious experience, “has become the foster child of the very example of a veritable failed and rogue state.”

“At this proper beacon of a jubilee anniversary, I want to strongly challenge fellow compatriots in this hall and outside it, to make a pledge of honour on how to give our federal experiment and our democracy a makeover that is mediated by equity, rule of law and transparent sense of justice, and above all, a sincere commitment to build a modern multicultural Nigeria,” Ribadu said.

He lamented that “the boundless energies of our people, the enviable spirit of our youth and the lush resources of our environment all lay in waste and abuse, increasing our embarrassment to see what we are offering the nation, the continent and humanity as the product of labour from the largest black nation on the planet.”

“A nation that produced the likes of Chinua Achebe, Oladele Awojobi, Chike Obi, Bala Usman, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Murtala Mohammed cannot agonize for lack of models. A nation that also threw up the examples of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Oby Ezekwesili, Sefi Atta and Adichie Chimamanda cannot be said to be deficient in super-brands. Above all, however, the nation that produced the towering presence of Wole Soyinka will lose a rational argument if it pleads the absence of heroes as the basis of failure of Africa’s largest state,” he said.

According to him, “if a new vision is not allowed to take over our political space, 50 years of our federalism and less of our democracy pose the challenge of what can be an endless rite of passage.”

He added that in order to avert this danger, young Nigerians must take the responsibility and accountability for leadership of the country from now on.

“From industry, through civil society to the world of research and development, towards the important crucible of leadership, politics and management of development, I call on fellow young Nigerians today to bury the preoccupation with anger, cynicism and inertia and move in the direction of taking control of the destiny of our nation,” he said.

“I feel a great sense of optimism in spite of the obstacles. That is the power of youth. This nation has had its great and low moments, but that is true of all lands in the world. The energy to draw now from those great moments are embedded in our youth, it is demonstrated in the feat we accomplish when we do great deeds and score remarkable goals at home and abroad,” added Ribadu.

Commending Professor Wole Soyinka for his contributions to the political advancement of the nation, Ribadu declared, “Few men in our history epitomise that sense of investment to community than Professor Soyinka. His life work, either as an artiste or public intellectual or even community activist, has been defined by untainted sense of integrity, selflessness and excellence.

“I call on all here today, and the younger generation in particular, to thank him for all he has done for our country and for always being our conscience and missioner for truth and justice, but for which he has suffered exile, death threats and wanton abuse. Here, truly, is one god that made a pantheon.”

Ribadu also disclosed that not less than $15billion (N2.2 trillion) was recovered from the foreign accounts of public office holders in 2006, adding also that over $10 billion (N1.5 trillion) was moved out of the country into foreign accounts in 2005 immediately after federal allocation was shared among the states.

He said that the money recovered during his time as the EFCC boss was used in the bank recapitalisation exercise in 2006 as well as boost the capital market in the country, including the banking sector.

President, National Association of Seadogs, Mr. Emmanuel Bassey said the celebration of Soyinka by the association was not only because of his 1986 Nobel Prize in Literature, “but especially for his life long struggle for justice and peace.”

“Behind his works, through his words and beyond them, he has constructed for over half a century a carapace of scrutiny of the machinery of governance. He has done this so often at great personal risk,” he said.

http://www.saharareporters.com/news/6606-why-i-formed-new-political-party-soyinka.html

Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by slyDdean(m): 3:07pm On Jul 23, 2010
Honestly, i think this country is heading 4 the skies wole, goodluck, ribadu, fashola, godswill. Lets hope its not a mirage
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by category(m): 3:25pm On Jul 23, 2010
If only all Naira Landers 'll agree,
we can make a more formidable party
Capable of dethroning the Power Drunk People (PDP)
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by abujaddan: 3:28pm On Jul 23, 2010
these old PEOPLE no wan leave naija alone, of all ppl why soyinka
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Fhemmmy: 3:31pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hope will achieve what created to
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Vavavoom(m): 3:38pm On Jul 23, 2010
Okay, good and much needed. Forming the party is one thing grounding and grooming the required people to remain within the created structure and policy is another. Especially in a country of ours where trust between the governor and the governed is non-existent. If the DFPF can find a strucuture under which winning or wrestling power from the ruling PDP ain't the major goal but offering altruistic opposition at primarily the council levels in the forthcoming elections it would have achieved much. What they haven't in money they can give by shadowing the ruling party and therefore check their excesses.  They must aspire to be a party that the average Nigerian can identify with, apsirants who'd meet their people wherever and whenever we call, people we can risk our lives for by peaceful protest when they call on us to do so. Welcome DFPF!
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Fhemmmy: 3:40pm On Jul 23, 2010
^^^ In a nation where the founder of the party cant run the whole show and cant be everywhere at same time.
Where he cant be the president and be the governor at same time, where people around you are not predictable.

So hope the reason for the foundation would stand.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by kaiosama(m): 3:42pm On Jul 23, 2010
i hope u are not coming with a bad motive from a wrong direction
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by lysaa(f): 3:57pm On Jul 23, 2010
abujaddan:

these old PEOPLE no wan leave naija alone, of all ppl why soyinka
LOL like dinosaurs in the 21st century. grin
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Ayowumie(m): 4:10pm On Jul 23, 2010
With all these formations of "progressive" political parties, we can only hope we ar on the right path
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Eziachi: 4:31pm On Jul 23, 2010
Tomorrow his supporters will decamp to PDP with a ready made explainations to back it up., . grin grin
Nigeria is a broken egg, fixing it is just a waste of time for anybody. I pity Soyinka, because a rude shock awaits him sooner rather than later.
He has forgotten IBB's road marshall job for him in the past already? A trap, but this time, he is setting the trap for himself.
I can't wait when it starts catching!!
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by spicyhoney(f): 4:46pm On Jul 23, 2010
Got a mixed feeling on this one, never expected my dear prof Soyinka to go into politics.I just hope the bad politicians won't ruin the party and derail it from its mission/vision.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by sizzlers(m): 5:56pm On Jul 23, 2010
I think wole is better to be a statesman than a politician? his idea is Good but the bad system will are will fustrate the whole thing, lets pray that things wont turn out sour. smiley
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by sley4life(m): 7:06pm On Jul 23, 2010
Soyinka's party will succeed. It will start from the grass root. But the party need to be funded properly to stand the test of time
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by hackney(m): 7:06pm On Jul 23, 2010
All these old guys should go and rest.
We need new people with new age thinking to run the country and not old farts
that want homage and bowing down given to them regardless of cock-ups.

These same faces since 1960 should all piss off.
Experience amounts to nothing in nigerian governance because NOTHING has been done by the old farts.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Nymphnode(m): 8:18pm On Jul 23, 2010
He should have started this a long time ago, maybe he would have learn a thing or two about politics. Politics is not about writing prose and hoping someone nominate you for a plaque. Is his back ready for stabs, Is his jaws squared for jabs? I would hate to see him loose his white beards.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Drunk: 9:04pm On Jul 23, 2010
At least, he's becoming too old for some lecturing jobs and may be royalties are not coming as expected from book sales. Well, if you can't beat them, join stop them
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by philip0906(m): 9:10pm On Jul 23, 2010
Drunk:

At least, he's becoming too old for some lecturing jobs and may be royalties are not coming as expected from book sales. Well, if you can't beat them, join stop them
GBAM!!! grin grin
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Acidosis(m): 10:29pm On Jul 23, 2010
Enough of these political speculations! Nollywood/comedy is a better option for an 'old cargo' like Prof Soyinka. . .lol
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by fred4alabi(m): 10:17am On Jul 24, 2010
I used to sometimes castigate the likes of Soyinka, Fela and Gani for only criticizing and not proferring solutions. I notice most Nigerians can fault and criticize, but only few profer solutions and a minute can implement solutions. Soyinka forming a party is proferring solutions and i feel its a rigth step in a good direction. If he does'nt, then who will? He and his likes, (Gani, Fela) had enligthened and tutored us Nigerians enough to be able to stand up for our right and fight for it; but, noway! we wont, we always look for someone or hero to go and fight, get and bring our right to us in our house which i think is a chance of a snowball in hell as that will never happen. With this party now, and Soyinka at 76 and Gani - gone, Fela - gone, its about time an average Nigeria wake up and do something; especially we so called elite and educated. We speak to much of grammar than taking actions.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by 2makesense: 11:09am On Jul 24, 2010
Got a mixed feeling on this one, never expected my dear prof Soyinka to go into politics.I just hope the bad politicians won't ruin the party and derail it from its mission/vision.
undecided
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by 2makesense: 11:11am On Jul 24, 2010
[Got a mixed feeling on this one, never expected my dear prof Soyinka to go into politics.I just hope the bad politicians won't ruin the party and derail it from its mission/vision],
i agree with u, i just hope he stays on the right path.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by folem: 12:44pm On Jul 24, 2010
A new party that will struggle to win just 1 Councilorship seat.

Soyinka is just a naive politician.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Judeylive(m): 2:14pm On Jul 24, 2010
For all ye critcizing Soyinka's action in forming the Political Party, I have some questions for you, What do you know about him?(Aside from the fact that he is a Nobel Laureate). Do you know what he has endured in the face of tyranny? When he was advocating for democracy, where was all these idiots ruling you now? (state governors and ministers). When he was thrown to jail for been a thorn in the flesh of oppressors, where were they? He has single handedly fought for the masses more than all the political leaders combined together. When the issue of Niger-Delta got to a peak, he conveyed 50 of his fellow Nobel Laureates to Nigeria to advocate for peace! Who was paying him to do all these? Your fathers? Now, he has decided to even risk his life further, by forming a political party, which will put him directly infront of open fire, you guys are opening your mouths and allowing maggots to come out? I bet you guys were giving thanksgiving in Churches and Mosques when IBB made the statement that youths are too stupid to rule Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Rmc1(m): 10:07pm On Jul 24, 2010
Soyinka has done well.  he has done the right thing, it is now left to nigerians to say no to pdp, and come out enmass to solve nigerias problem  by voting out pdp, this is a one in a life time oppurtunity. we expect only the best standards from this new party.

Why are nigerians allergic to new changes? i see a lot of people here  doubting and bashing soyinka s party why ? Would you haters, prefer to continue suffering under the corrupt rule of the PDP? The way some nigerians reason beats my imagination.This tread has only generated only one page till now, but if it were to be football, you will see them all swaming here like flies  on a piece of poo.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by mamagee3(f): 10:09pm On Jul 24, 2010
We all must agree that soyinka is a genius. . .

I mean everyone must attest to it, his intelligence is out of this world.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by omolayo1(m): 2:39pm On Jul 25, 2010
I find it difficult to believe that some of the youths of our time still don't understand the word 'change'. All they do is to react negatively to everything that comes their way, no wonder IBB said we are not matured enough to be at the aso rock. He must have meet with one or more of those ppl against prof for his move but right thinking ppl here must understand what poverty can do. It's take away everything, i don't blame those of you that says he is too old for this,ok!let me ask you one question: what have you done to turn around this bad situation we are into in this country at your own space? if nothing or you think you've try your best, the bad news is this: you haven't done anything but the good news is that prof is taking us somewhere 'the promise land'. He is just the cooking pot while we must tell the cook to use the right ingredients.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by chuqudy(m): 3:07pm On Jul 25, 2010
Anyone who is in support of the creation of more political parties in the country should have his head examined. Infact, the person should go to any near-by psychiatrist hospital for some serious brain scans. How many political parties do we have in Nigeria today? How many win elections? Okay, Atiku left PDP and formed AC because he feels that PDP is bad. Now he wants to abandon his good party (AC) and join the bad party(PDP). Where was Soyinka when PDP was formed? Well, I wish him goodluck. However, I do not need to consult an oracle to know that this Soyinka's mission is a futility. Soyinka, Chris Okotie, e.t.c. should forget about there ambitions and support Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. If they think they know how to move Nigeria forward, they should teach and advise the president. Goodluck Jonathan wants to move this nation forward and would listen to them if they really have the stuff. Men, I am just sick and tired of this kind of political system. If I were the new INEC chairman, I will just dissolve all the political parties and allow for the registration of only 2 parties. 2 is okay and not 40.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by luckyseven: 6:31pm On Jul 25, 2010
I think Fred4alabi got the point,nigerians like to criticize and not ready to take actions,I think the time of talking is over ,lets learn to start taking physical actions instead of just talking that will never solve our problems nor take us out the the trouble we all created for ourselves.
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by nabiz(m): 6:43pm On Jul 25, 2010
i am 100 percent behind soyinka and the party and ready to represent ebonyi state 4 him
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by Iranoladun(f): 8:49pm On Jul 25, 2010
I support Soyinka's laudable effort in forming a political platform for the progressive.

My prayer is that corrupt political money-bags will not hijack the party!
Re: Why I Formed New Political Party —soyinka ! by folem: 9:24am On Jul 26, 2010
mama-gee:

We all must agree that soyinka is a genius. . .

I mean everyone must attest to it, his intelligence is out of this world.

Agreed, he is a genius in Literature but a mediocre in Politics.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Salami: ACN, CPC, CD and TMG Put Jonathan Under Fire / Kaduna Government Reduces Curfew From 24hrs To 1pm - 5pm / Enugu... Take A Second Look

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.