Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,488 members, 7,958,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:24 PM

Why Can't Nigeria's Oil Revenue Be Paid Out To Citizens? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Can't Nigeria's Oil Revenue Be Paid Out To Citizens? (5257 Views)

Poll: How do you see this suggestion?

It has some merit.: 48% (16 votes)
No, it's a bad idea!: 51% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Amaechi Paid Out N300million To Get Unlawful Injunction To Stop My Inauguration / Us Issues Travelling Warning To Citizens Coming To Nigeria / Wikileaks : FG Offered Foreign Govts Full Access To Citizens Biometric Data (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re: Why Can't Nigeria's Oil Revenue Be Paid Out To Citizens? by Omololu007(m): 3:34pm On Nov 11, 2015
samsard:
Seun, even if you didn't read economics, you should be much smarter than this. Interesting old thread here.
lol grin
Re: Why Can't Nigeria's Oil Revenue Be Paid Out To Citizens? by Seun(m): 4:09pm On Nov 11, 2015
samsard:
Seun, even if you didn't read economics, you should be much smarter than this. Interesting old thread here.
Actually, I take pride in my understanding of the fundamentals of Economics and I think it helps me a lot, but at the time I created this thread I was allowing my political preference for Libertarianism to cloud my judgment of Economy issues. I no longer think that this is a great idea. It's still better than what we're currently doing:- using most of our earnings to promote importation and the consumption of petrol and kerosene.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Can't Nigeria's Oil Revenue Be Paid Out To Citizens? by mikolo80: 2:32am On Nov 12, 2015
Seun:
When the people of Alaska discovered that their politicians were not managing the oil revenues according to their interests, they decided to create a government-managed corporation that would invest the oil revenues from the state in the capital market and then pay yearly dividends to every citizen of the country, rich or poor!

The political crisis in the Niger Delta area would not exist if we had such an arrangement. Instead of foolishly trusting our corrupt politicians to manage our oil revenue for "us" (i.e. themselves), we should organize something like that in Nigeria. If the oil belongs to Nigerians, then the money that the oil is generating should be paid to us!

When that dividend is paid, then it will be the duty of every Nigerian to spend it wisely. How do you see this?
for your mind you believe Nigerians will spend the money wisely ba
always think long term

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PICS-APC And Calumny (ketu Version) / "I Have No Regrets, Buhari Cannot Live Upto 75 Years - Fayose / The 17 Countries With The Worst Quality Of Life In The World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.