Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,029 members, 7,818,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State (2921 Views)

What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People / What Do You Know About Etche Ethnic Group? / Aniomas And Ikwerre People Have Not Learned From History So Sad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by Nnanna800: 6:37am On Nov 16, 2018
I want to know more about Etche and Ikwerre people that are from Imo state. I'm from Rivers state My Father is from Etche while my Mom is from Ikwerre i was having an argument with some of my friends yesterday they told me that there are some Etche and Ikwerre communities in

Imo state. Please if you are from Etche or Ikwerre communities in Imo state i want to know how your people see yourselves do your people regards yourselves as an Igbo person or not
Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by slim75d(m): 7:00am On Nov 16, 2018
ikwerre or etche is not in imo state

ikwerre is a distinct ethnic group in rivers state.
as u know ikwerre is not igbo just as igala,nupe,ebira,tiv are not hausa

1 Like

Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by Lajet: 7:17am On Nov 16, 2018
Nnanna800:
I want to know more about Etche and Ikwerre people that are from Imo state. I'm from Rivers state My Father is from Etche while my Mom is from Ikwerre i was having an argument with some of my friends yesterday they told me that there are some Etche and Ikwerre communities in

Imo state. Please if you are from Etche or Ikwerre communities in Imo state i want to know how your people see yourselves do your people regards yourselves as an Igbo person or not

I doubt if their is any Ikwerre community in Imo State. there are some Etche communities in Abia and Imo states what i can't tell if they see themselves as Igbo people.
Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by Lajet: 7:18am On Nov 16, 2018
slim75d:

You are wrong there are some Etche communities in Abia and Imo states

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by slim75d(m): 7:33am On Nov 16, 2018
Lajet:

You are wrong there are some Etche communities in Abia and Imo states

rivers state shares boundary wit abia
etche happens to be the border town
Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by Lajet: 7:41am On Nov 16, 2018
slim75d:

I think that is not true

Etche (Echie) is a subgroup of the Igbo people occupying parts of Rivers State, Abia State and Imo State in Southern Nigeria. The Etche people inhabit two Local Government Areas (LGA) of Rivers State, namely Etche Local Government Area and Omuma LGA. Etche/Omuma is a Nigerian National Assembly constituency.

Etche communities include Akwu/Obuor, Opiro, Chokocho, Chokota, Egwi, Afara, Mba, Ikwerengwo, Okehi, Okomoko, Ulakwo, Umuakonu, Umuebulu, Umuechem, egbeke, Igbodo. Etche believe Igbodo to be their ancestral home. Igbodo is made up of the following communities; Umuohiaukwu, Umuusharam, Umuoga, Okonocho, Umuine, Umudi, Umunkwa, Umuohie, Amaku, Obibi, Ezeleaka, Umuisi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etche
Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by kolaish(m): 9:06am On Nov 16, 2018
Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by dreamwords: 2:10pm On Nov 16, 2018
slim75d:

etche has four (4) known Local Government (two in Rivers State and two in Imo state)
etche land is within 3 states in Nigeria; Rivers, Abia and Imo states
Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by ChinenyeN(m): 9:02pm On Nov 16, 2018
The Ohaji community in Southern Imo shares cultural, linguistic and ancestral affinity with Ikwerre and the Ngor Okpuala in Imo share cultural, linguistic and ancestral affinity with Echie.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by Amadioha01(m): 11:25am On Nov 18, 2018
slim75d:

Lol you really are ignorant with your comparisons. The Ikwere and Etche people are not Igbo simply because they choose to IDENTIFY that way.
And by the way, there are Etche communities in Ngor Okpala Imo State and they identify as Igbo's. But I do not know about the Ikwere's. Ikwere lga's like Emuoha and Ikwere lga border I'm State.
Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by Nobody: 4:30am On Nov 20, 2021
Nnanna800:

It's NKWERE that is in Imo state not Ikwerre..
Re: I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State by Omahjasper(m): 11:02pm On Sep 10, 2022
Lajet:

I think that is not true

Etche (Echie) is a subgroup of the Igbo people occupying parts of Rivers State, Abia State and Imo State in Southern Nigeria. The Etche people inhabit two Local Government Areas (LGA) of Rivers State, namely Etche Local Government Area and Omuma LGA. Etche/Omuma is a Nigerian National Assembly constituency.

Etche communities include Akwu/Obuor, Opiro, Chokocho, Chokota, Egwi, Afara, Mba, Ikwerengwo, Okehi, Okomoko, Ulakwo, Umuakonu, Umuebulu, Umuechem, egbeke, Igbodo. Etche believe Igbodo to be their ancestral home. Igbodo is made up of the following communities; Umuohiaukwu, Umuusharam, Umuoga, Okonocho, Umuine, Umudi, Umunkwa, Umuohie, Amaku, Obibi, Ezeleaka, Hope there didn't add rumu?
How did ikwerre communicate with other igbo speaking area of portharcourt if 'ot in central igbo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etche

(1) (Reply)

An Igbo Sacred Plant / Which Of The Major Nigerian Languages Would You Love To Learn? / Black Mothers Have Lost It - Bad Parenting Culture(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.