Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed (9348 Views)

Looters’ List: Court Orders Lai Mohammed, FG To Pay Secondus ₦20 Million / Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde / Kwara South Youths Kick Against Lai Mohammed’s Re-appointment As Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by MrAJQ(m): 6:15am On Nov 17, 2018
By Onozure Dania

A Federal High Court, sitting in Lagos, yesterday dismissed a contempt application filed by a former Minister of State for Finance, Mrs. Esther Nenadi Usman, seeking to commit the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed to prison for the inclusion of her name in the ‘looters’ list’ he released to the public. Justice Rilwan Aikawa described the application as a distraction which could interfere with the speedy determination of the matter.

Usman, who is standing trial over alleged money laundering, preferred against her and a former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, had argued in the contempt application that the inclusion of her name on the list released by the information minister during the pendecy of the case against her was contemptuous.

She therefore urged the court to commit the Information Minister to prison for contempt of court for his alleged contemptuous action.

She also submitted that Mohammed’s action undermines the integrity of the court aimed at poisoning the mind of the public against her.

But the EFCC lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, urged the court to decline Usman’s application, insisting that the applicant was never referred to as a looter by the information minister, adding that what was published by some newspapers only bordered on allegations and cannot be said to be prejudicial to the applicant’s case in court.

He said: “The minister of information is not a party to the criminal proceedings against the applicant.”

There is no evidence to show that the alleged contemnor works with the various media houses that published the alleged offensive publication. Besides, there were no allegations against the media houses that published the alleged offensive publication.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/11/looters-list-court-throws-out-contempt-suit-against-lai-mohammed/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by MrAJQ(m): 6:17am On Nov 17, 2018
PDP and their aid are the same.
Meanwhile Buhari said: Let anybody lead this country but not PDP.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by GOFRONT(m): 6:22am On Nov 17, 2018
Loot and loot and loot, loot loot loot looot, loot looott and loot

3 Likes

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by new2012: 6:42am On Nov 17, 2018
Compromised court, so now its just some newspaper report on allegations.

When a liar leads.

2 Likes

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Gkay1(m): 6:51am On Nov 17, 2018
e go hard for dis kont3 to better nor be curse

4 Likes

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by marhoinspire: 6:52am On Nov 17, 2018
hdh
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Adekunleideology(m): 6:55am On Nov 17, 2018
As expected, the law is an ass.

3 Likes

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Nobody: 6:57am On Nov 17, 2018
Let anybody lead this country but not PDP

Buhari GCFR 2018

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Nobody: 6:57am On Nov 17, 2018
[/quote]But the EFCC lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, urged the court to decline Usman’s application, insisting that the applicant was never referred to as a looter by the information minister, adding that what was published by some newspapers only bordered on allegations and cannot be said to be prejudicial to the applicant’s case in court[quote]

The lawyer is even calling Lie a lair

1 Like

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by sammyj: 7:03am On Nov 17, 2018
angry lie will be doing this right now smiley wink cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
shocked grin grin grin grin shocked grin grin
wink cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin at all his enemies!! cool
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Zico5(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2018
I wonder if there is any integrity left for Buhari. He has wounded himself by centering his agenda on corruption fight. The people in his government are worse than even PDP they are alleging of corruption. Thank God PDP even shared some of the looted funds to the masses cos I know some of my friends that got government job by merely working for PDP. How many of their foot soldier on nairaland can boast of such privilege. They are only looting for themselves and their family throwing crumb of 30k and 10k trader money to their supporters. For naija to be better, only God knows that.Awon ole oloriburuku.

1 Like

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by itzprezy(m): 7:05am On Nov 17, 2018
I rest my case for this Lai matter
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Anijay1212(m): 7:06am On Nov 17, 2018
My own is that it should be carefully aimed and thrown back at her so it dos'nt hit an innocent Nigerian bystander.
Bloody theives and looters.
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by bkool7(m): 7:29am On Nov 17, 2018
You have a corruption case in court but you don't want to be addressed as someone that has a corruption case in court.

I'm I missing something?

For those blaming the judiciary, the way it's cumbersome for Efcc to prosecute looters successfully it's the same way it's going to be for looter to prove they're not looters

3 Likes

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by sexychizzi: 7:36am On Nov 17, 2018
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 17, 2018
Anijay1212:
My own is that it should be carefully aimed and thrown back at her so it dos'nt hit an innocent Nigerian bystander.
Bloody theives and looters.

Read again.
The lawyer denied that Lie called her looter, the lawyer shifted the blame on newspaper.
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by michoim(m): 7:57am On Nov 17, 2018
Na so
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Peacecore: 8:01am On Nov 17, 2018
Zico5:
I wonder if there is any integrity left for Buhari. He has wounded himself by centering his agenda on corruption fight. The people in his government are worse than even PDP they are alleging of corruption. Thank God PDP even shared some of the looted funds to the masses cos I know some of my friends that got government job by merely working for PDP. How many of their foot soldier on nairaland can boast of such privilege. They are only looting for themselves and their family throwing crumb of 30k and 10k trader money to their supporters. For naija to be better, only God knows that.Awon ole oloriburuku.
u're doing ur work #30/post

2 Likes

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Afamed: 8:18am On Nov 17, 2018
Adekunleideology:
As expected, the law is an ass.
Especially when it doesn't suit /favour looters narrations.

1 Like

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by unitysheart(m): 8:20am On Nov 17, 2018
Lol.

Remains Dokpesi.
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Afamed: 8:22am On Nov 17, 2018
new2012:
Compromised court, so now its just some newspaper report on allegations.

When a liar leads.
Compromised court especially when it gives looters and their admirers uppercuts
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by Zico5(m): 8:23am On Nov 17, 2018
Peacecore:
u're doing ur work #30/post
God forbid bad thing. I will never descend so low to that level.
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by blacknp(m): 9:51am On Nov 17, 2018
MrAJQ:
PDP and their aid are the same.

Meanwhile Buhari said: Let anybody lead this country but not PDP.
I concur 100%,looters.

4 Likes

Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by blacknp(m): 9:56am On Nov 17, 2018
dorothy111:
But the EFCC lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, urged the court to decline Usman’s application, insisting that the applicant was never referred to as a looter by the information minister, adding that what was published by some newspapers only bordered on allegations and cannot be said to be prejudicial to the applicant’s case in court

The lawyer is even calling Lie a lair
Since you are the judge go and convict him Miss Barrister?
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by new2012: 10:52am On Nov 17, 2018
Afamed:

Compromised court especially when it gives looters and their admirers uppercuts

Same court that freed dasuki right? Ain't that compromised?

That narrative will fit your reasoning better.

Get up above politics and be realistic... Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
Re: Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed by gaskiyamagana: 11:31am On Nov 17, 2018
BlackAfrican:
Let anybody lead this country but not PDP

Buhari GCFR 2018
Historical statement that we must be singing after National Anthem.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Debt Profile Rises To ₦32.2 Trillion / Paul Omotoso: Ekiti State APC Chairman dies after brief illness / Cassava Bread Policy: Jonathan Pushes Ahead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.