Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,742 members, 7,820,555 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde (14217 Views)

Court Sentences IGP To Three Months In Prison For Contempt / Court Sends Otunba Runsewe To Prison For Contempt / Looters’ List: Court Throws Out Contempt Suit Against Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by Ify05: 3:59pm On Jun 18, 2019
An Ibadan High Court on Tuesday, fixed July 30 to hear a contempt suit filed by the Association of Local Government of Nigeria (ALGON) , Oyo State Chapter, against Gov. Seyi Makinde on the dissolution of 33 Local Governments and Local Council Development Area (LCDA) in the state.

ALGON, through its Counsel, Mr Kunle Sobaloju, also named the Oyo State House of assembly Speaker, Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs and the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in the suit.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the court had earlier ordered Makinde not to dissolve the LG and LCDA in the state but the governor went ahead to dissolve them immediately after his inauguration on May 29.

Sobaloju informed the court that the application to set aside the governor’s order was filed on June 10.

He argued that the governor was making steps to appoint caretaker chairmen for the LGs and LCDAs.

Counsel to the state government, Mr Oluwaseun Dada, told the court that the application to set aside the order of the governor dissolving the LGs and LCDA has not been serve on him and therefore not ripe for hearing.

Dada said that the argument that the governor was taking steps to appoint caretaker chairmen was a hearsay and the court cannot act on such.

The respondents’ counsel also told the court that he has filed an application for a stay of execution of the judgment of the court.

Dada prayed for an adjournment to enable him serve the respondents in the matter.

Justice Laniran Akintola adjourned the case till July 30 for hearing of all pending applications in the matter

See more here https://thickmatch.com/court-fixes-date-contempt-suit-gov-makinde/

2 Likes

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by simonlee(m): 5:50pm On Jun 18, 2019
It baffles me when a governor just wakes up one morning and sacks all local government chairmen in a democratic setting!
i see why those Biafra people call Nigeria a zoo...

14 Likes

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 18, 2019
G

1 Like

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by NnaMEN1(m): 5:51pm On Jun 18, 2019
Ify05:
An Ibadan High Court on Tuesday, fixed July 30 to hear a contempt suit filed by the Association of Local Government of Nigeria (ALGON) , Oyo State Chapter, against Gov. Seyi Makinde on the dissolution of 33 Local Governments and Local Council Development Area (LCDA) in the state.

ALGON, through its Counsel, Mr Kunle Sobaloju, also named the Oyo State House of assembly Speaker, Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs and the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice in the suit.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the court had earlier ordered Makinde not to dissolve the LG and LCDA in the state but the governor went ahead to dissolve them immediately after his inauguration on May 29.

Sobaloju informed the court that the application to set aside the governor’s order was filed on June 10.

He argued that the governor was making steps to appoint caretaker chairmen for the LGs and LCDAs.

Counsel to the state government, Mr Oluwaseun Dada, told the court that the application to set aside the order of the governor dissolving the LGs and LCDA has not been serve on him and therefore not ripe for hearing.

Dada said that the argument that the governor was taking steps to appoint caretaker chairmen was a hearsay and the court cannot act on such.

The respondents’ counsel also told the court that he has filed an application for a stay of execution of the judgment of the court.

Dada prayed for an adjournment to enable him serve the respondents in the matter.

Justice Laniran Akintola adjourned the case till July 30 for hearing of all pending applications in the matter

See more here https://thickmatch.com/court-fixes-date-contempt-suit-gov-makinde/

No big deal in what Makinde has done....Make them too go home. Wetin una chop neva reah una?? Afonjas

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by koyeni(m): 5:51pm On Jun 18, 2019
Ok
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by warrenweste(m): 5:59pm On Jun 18, 2019
dead on arrival cool
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by TroubleMaker47(m): 6:03pm On Jun 18, 2019
It's like a president sacking a governor! It's just absurd!

1 Like

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by Cherrybae(f): 6:03pm On Jun 18, 2019
This is the more reason why Igbos and Biafra agitators call Nigeria a zoo.

I will never criticize Igbos again anytime they call Nigeria a zoo

A governor was elected to office for a four years term same way the LGA chairmen were elected

Why sack them.

The LGA chairmen will win this case for sure

7 Likes

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by chuksjuve(m): 6:05pm On Jun 18, 2019
These Bet Naija guy how do you people sleep?

Spam everywhere without making any meaningful contribution to thr discuss on ground!!

Gosh !!!!!!
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by olajizz01(m): 6:07pm On Jun 18, 2019
NnaMEN1:

No big deal in what Makinde has done....Make them too go home. Wetin una chop neva reah una?? Afonjas
Biafrau.d has arrived, but when it is the other way round,they will wail endlessly on what didn't concern them.

4 Likes

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by Saltoflife: 6:08pm On Jun 18, 2019
Sorry op what's contempt. I don't seem to willingly understand am

I am teaching digital marketing for those interested on whatsap. ..it may take weeks o. But if you're ready hop in or slide in my whatsap. Now
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by murshid09(m): 6:09pm On Jun 18, 2019
[quote author=Cherrybae post=79453997]This is the more reason why Igbos and Biafra agitators call Nigeria a zoo.

I will never criticize Igbos again anytime they call Nigeria a zoo

A governor was elected to office for a four years term same way the LGA chairmen were elected

Why sack them.

The LGA chairmen will win this case for sure[/quote

U don't know anything about d selection

Only apc participated in d election

In Oyo state where we have over 30 political parties

Ajimobi did kangaroo election like oladoja during his tenure
Ajmobi did his own without other parties
They selected themselves even d other caucus were prevented from having nomination forms
Only ajimobi favourites were given forms and won ]

2 Likes

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by HAKYN1: 6:11pm On Jun 18, 2019
NnaMEN1:

Osu, how is it your business?

3 Likes

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 18, 2019
Brainwork309:
See below
you are very stubborn
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by Jsst: 6:25pm On Jun 18, 2019
They behave like Gods when they get to power, they forget they have only four years to rule. I leave Seyi Makinde with this quote by Narendra Modi
"Good governance with good intentions is the hallmark of our government. Implementation with integrity is our core passion."

ATTENTION!!! GET NEW CLIENTS & JOBS IN CONSTRUCTION & ENGINEERING
Are you an artisan (welder, carpenter, painter, mechanic etc) or professional(Engineer, Architect, Surveyor etc)? Looking for new jobs or clients in Construction, housing, Oil and Gas, and engineering.
Register on KonstructApp, and you will be connected to clients fast. Register Here>>https://blnk.in/XyUQky
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by FutureIG: 6:33pm On Jun 18, 2019
TroubleMaker47:
It's like a president sacking a governor! It's just absurd!

You have poor understanding of the constitution of FRN. The federal and state governments are federating units, while the local government is subsumed under the state government. The local government isn't a federating unit. That's why people are clamouring for local government autonomy.

3 Likes

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by TroubleMaker47(m): 6:37pm On Jun 18, 2019
FutureIG:

You have poor understanding of the constitution of FRN. The federal and state governments are federating units, while the local government is subsumed under the state government. The local government isn't a federating unit. That's why people are clamouring for local government autonomy.
But sacking a duly elected chairman is an illegality and a gross abuse of office!

2 Likes

Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by Jobabori(m): 6:37pm On Jun 18, 2019
Let assume Buhari sack him as governor and dissolve Oyo state. Makinde is not the only governor involved in this abuse of democracy. Gombe and Imo has done the same. If the council executives were not well constituted, it is the judiciary that should decides not by a fiat order by an elected governor as if they are military governor's.
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by pat077: 6:43pm On Jun 18, 2019
Exercise in futility
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by IDnoble1: 6:48pm On Jun 18, 2019
OK oh
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by niyidenrele: 6:54pm On Jun 18, 2019
olajizz01:
Biafrau.d has arrived, but when it is the other way round,they will wail endlessly on what didn't concern them.
...and they are claiming that PDP will be a better option for us in this country ....very funny people
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by zibya: 6:55pm On Jun 18, 2019
Deathisfreee:

I don’t think some guys doing yahoo are into fraud
I call them “online beggars”,they disguise in someone else image just to beg for money.
We have a lot of people who does such here on the street. Some aboki will pretend blind just to beg and all

The govt should be fair with judgment because even this whites don’t complain,this online begging actually reduce other badder crimes. I’m not in support of any crime but just the truth and my own opinion bec I once saw when a guy was begging a client for money and I pity his life. It took about 3months for the guy to collect $1

Any G guy who collect large in the game is just privileged,yahoo boys are moderate online beggars. Thank you

May God bless zoogeria
Seriously your reasoning process is highly flawed. You are beyond redemption
Re: Court Fixes Date For Contempt Suit Against Gov Makinde by olajizz01(m): 6:58pm On Jun 18, 2019
niyidenrele:
...and they are claiming that PDP will be a better option for us in this country ....very funny people
Their hypocrisy stints my brother

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria's Enterprising Five-to-nine Work Ethic- BBC / How Did The Name "Biafra" Come To Be. / I Have Built 1000 Projects In Five Years- Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.