Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,531 members, 7,816,295 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy (3873 Views)

Why Are Non-believers Averagely More Intelligent Than Believers? / What If God Was A Super Intelligent A.I That Rebuilt Our Universe. / See Why Religion Will Die As People Get More Intelligent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by Niflheim(m): 11:42am On Nov 17, 2018
Yes!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

FULL STORY:

Religious people are less intelligent on average than atheists because faith is an instinct and clever people are better at rising above their instincts, researchers have claimed.

The theory — called the 'Intelligence-Mismatch Association Model' — was proposed by a pair of authors who set out to explain why numerous studies over past decades have found religious people to have lower average intelligence than people who do not believe in a god.

A 2013 analysis by University of Rochester found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 out of 63 historic studies.

A negative correlation between intelligence and religion makes sense if religion is considered an instinct, and intelligence the ability to rise above one's instincts, say researchers Edward Dutton and Dimitri van der Linden in their new paper published today.
Writing for Springer’s journal of Evolutionary Psychological Science, the authors – who are based at the Ulster Institute for Social Research and Rotterdam University respectively – explained their model is based on the ideas of evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa.

Mr Kanazawa's 'Savanna-IQ Principles' suggest human behaviour will always be guided by the environment in which their ancestors developed.

Mr Dutton and Mr van der Linden argue in keeping with this that religion should be considered an 'evolved domain' — or instinct.
Rising above instincts is advantageous, they said in a statement, because it helps people to solve problems.

“If religion is an evolved domain then it is an instinct, and intelligence — in rationally solving problems — can be understood as involving overcoming instinct and being intellectually curious and thus open to non-instinctive possibilities,” explained Mr Dutton.

According to the 2013 review, [/b]the more intelligent a child is — even during early years — the more likely it is to turn away from religion.[b]

In old age, [/b]above-average-intelligence people are less likely to believe in a god.[b]
Mr Dutton and Mr van der Linden also investigated the link between instinct and stress, and the instinctiveness with which people tend to operate during stressful periods.

They argue that being intelligent helps people during stressful times to weigh up their options and act rationally rather than give in to knee-jerk responses.

“If religion is indeed an evolved domain — an instinct — then it will become heightened at times of stress, when people are inclined to act instinctively, and there is clear evidence for this,” said Mr Dutton.

“It also means that intelligence allows us to able to pause and reason through the situation and the possible consequences of our actions.”

The researchers believe that people who are attracted to the non-instinctive are potentially better problem solvers.

“This is important, because in a changing ecology, the ability to solve problems will become associated with rising above our instincts, rendering us attracted to evolutionary mismatches,” said Mr van der Linden.

THE LINK:................................................https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/atheists-more-intelligent-than-religious-people-faith-instinct-cleverness-a7742766.html

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by falcon01: 12:14pm On Nov 17, 2018
so we should stop educating our children so they wont leave our religion?
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by hahn(m): 12:20pm On Nov 17, 2018
falcon01:

After everything in the post this is all you could understand

12 Likes

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by falcon01: 12:23pm On Nov 17, 2018
hahn:

no sometimes I read a topic and give a response without reading the content of the topic, this trick save me a lot of tume. it's either we stop Educating our kids so that they wont leave the religion or we educate then and they leave religion and invent Evil machines that will make the world to Develop the way devil wants it and to find cure for diseases so that the Devil will be happy.

1 Like

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by felixomor: 12:38pm On Nov 17, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4241283/meet-smartest-christian-alive-iq

Lies.
Religious people especially Christians and Jews make up the bulk of all most intelligent and Nobel winners.

As a matter of fact,
Research has shown that Atheism is associated with mental retardation.

https://www.nairaland.com/3493419/atheist-very-high-possibility-mental

1 Like

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by DeSepiero(m): 12:46pm On Nov 17, 2018
hahn:

It's disappointing as always.
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by DeSepiero(m): 1:09pm On Nov 17, 2018
felixomor:
https://www.nairaland.com/4241283/meet-smartest-christian-alive-iq

Lies.
Religious people especially Christians and Jews make up the bulk of all most intelligent and Nobel winners.

As a matter of fact,
Research has shown that Atheism is associated with mental retardation.

https://www.nairaland.com/3493419/atheist-very-high-possibility-mental
The poster talks about an intelligent child being likely to drop religion and your talking about Nobel prize winners being mostly Christian?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by felixomor: 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2018
DeSepiero:

The poster talks about an intelligent child being likely to drop religion and your talking about Nobel prize winners being mostly Christian?
Ehn
you know nobel prize winners are not "intelligent" in your own atheist dictionary...
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by Originakalokalo(m): 1:49pm On Nov 17, 2018
The idea that atheists are smart is a total crap from the hottest part of a burning hell.

David, by the holy spirit said...

.A fool says there is no God.

I am intelligent and I am for Jesus...

Even if you call me stupid....or a fool, it doesn't change who I am.

This is a cheap trick by the devil to woo someone into a believe that has no basis...
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by hahn(m): 3:15pm On Nov 17, 2018
falcon01:
no sometimes I read a topic and give a response without reading the content of the topic, this trick save me a lot of tume. it's either we stop Educating our kids so that they wont leave the religion or we educate then and they leave religion and invent Evil machines that will make the world to Develop the way devil wants it and to find cure for diseases so that the Devil will be happy.

That is why you believe a lot of nonsense and have written a lot of nonsense smiley

13 Likes

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by falcon01: 3:28pm On Nov 17, 2018
hahn:

That is why you believe a lot of nonsense and have written a lot of nonsense smiley
haba sir read well and see I made sense a perfect sense. smiley
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by YAHREIGNS: 3:54pm On Nov 17, 2018
By intelligence you mean a blind following of the EUROPEAN scientific theories? That's a dumb kid.
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by budaatum: 3:54pm On Nov 17, 2018
falcon01:
No. Educate your children so they can grow their intellect. They will leave your religion when they discover how irrational it is.

5 Likes

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by budaatum: 3:59pm On Nov 17, 2018
falcon01:
or we educate then and they leave religion and invent Evil machines that will make the world to Develop the way devil wants it and to find cure for diseases so that the Devil will be happy.
So, when you educate your child and it leaves your religion, your child will "invent Evil machines that will make the world to Develop the way devil wants it and to find cure for diseases so that the Devil will be happy"?

Please hire a teacher to educate your child to become a doctor, a lawyer, a Messi and a fly to the moon child. You do not qualify to educate a child!

2 Likes

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by Mekanus(m): 4:44pm On Nov 17, 2018
falcon01:
People like you should have no business getting married talk more of giving birth to children. Your own delusion is out of this earth, no innocent child should be made to suffer mental slavery from you as a father.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 17, 2018
I did put a pantheist quote on my WhatsApp status some weeks back, a friend reacted to it and I tried to explain things to him. I was surprised to see dude putting some atheism quotes yesterday like “ we all going to hell in some else’s religion”.

I just told him to calm down on his new believe and shouldn’t voice out much else religious people would try to demonize him.

Dude has always been intelligent, glad he dropped the shit called religion.

4 Likes

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by falcon01: 6:03pm On Nov 17, 2018
Mekanus:
People like you should have no business getting married talk more of giving birth to children. Your own delusion is out of this earth, no innocent child should be made to suffer mental slavery from you as a father.
what about your own delusion?
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by OpenYourEyes1: 6:20pm On Nov 17, 2018
Niflheim:
Yes!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

FULL STORY:

Religious people are less intelligent on average than atheists because faith is an instinct and clever people are better at rising above their instincts, researchers have claimed.

The theory — called the 'Intelligence-Mismatch Association Model' — was proposed by a pair of authors who set out to explain why numerous studies over past decades have found religious people to have lower average intelligence than people who do not believe in a god.

A 2013 analysis by University of Rochester found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 out of 63 historic studies.

A negative correlation between intelligence and religion makes sense if religion is considered an instinct, and intelligence the ability to rise above one's instincts, say researchers Edward Dutton and Dimitri van der Linden in their new paper published today.
Writing for Springer’s journal of Evolutionary Psychological Science, the authors – who are based at the Ulster Institute for Social Research and Rotterdam University respectively – explained their model is based on the ideas of evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa.

Mr Kanazawa's 'Savanna-IQ Principles' suggest human behaviour will always be guided by the environment in which their ancestors developed.

Mr Dutton and Mr van der Linden argue in keeping with this that religion should be considered an 'evolved domain' — or instinct.
Rising above instincts is advantageous, they said in a statement, because it helps people to solve problems.

“If religion is an evolved domain then it is an instinct, and intelligence — in rationally solving problems — can be understood as involving overcoming instinct and being intellectually curious and thus open to non-instinctive possibilities,” explained Mr Dutton.

According to the 2013 review, [/b]the more intelligent a child is — even during early years — the more likely it is to turn away from religion.[b]

In old age, [/b]above-average-intelligence people are less likely to believe in a god.[b]
Mr Dutton and Mr van der Linden also investigated the link between instinct and stress, and the instinctiveness with which people tend to operate during stressful periods.

They argue that being intelligent helps people during stressful times to weigh up their options and act rationally rather than give in to knee-jerk responses.

“If religion is indeed an evolved domain — an instinct — then it will become heightened at times of stress, when people are inclined to act instinctively, and there is clear evidence for this,” said Mr Dutton.

“It also means that intelligence allows us to able to pause and reason through the situation and the possible consequences of our actions.”

The researchers believe that people who are attracted to the non-instinctive are potentially better problem solvers.

“This is important, because in a changing ecology, the ability to solve problems will become associated with rising above our instincts, rendering us attracted to evolutionary mismatches,” said Mr van der Linden.

THE LINK:................................................https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/atheists-more-intelligent-than-religious-people-faith-instinct-cleverness-a7742766.html

Einstein, Newton and many great scientists were religious.

World richest man Bill Gates is religious:

" The moral systems of religion, I think, are super important. We've raised our kids in a religious way; they've gone to the Catholic church that Melinda goes to and I participate in. I've been very lucky, and therefore I owe it to try and reduce the inequity in the world. And that's kind of a religious belief. I mean, it's at least a moral belief." — Bill Gates
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by OpenYourEyes1: 6:22pm On Nov 17, 2018
Einstein, Newton and many great scientists were religious men.

World richest man Bill Gates is religious:

" The moral systems of religion, I think, are super important. We've raised our kids in a religious way; they've gone to the Catholic church that Melinda goes to and I participate in. I've been very lucky, and therefore I owe it to try and reduce the inequity in the world. And that's kind of a religious belief. I mean, it's at least a moral belief." — Bill Gates

1 Like

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by Uyi168: 7:09pm On Nov 17, 2018
YAHREIGNS:
By intelligence you mean a blind following of the EUROPEAN scientific theories? That's a dumb kid.
lol..
Buh the same Europeans brought the bible and the God u worship..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by felixomor: 7:48pm On Nov 17, 2018
Uyi168:
lol..
Europeans didnt bring God
Many people in the Bible were black.
Mediterraneans, Africans, nubians etc started Christianity long before Europeans started.

Your statement is a misconception

1 Like

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by YAHREIGNS: 8:34pm On Nov 17, 2018
Uyi168:
lol..
Not really. Most African tribes believed in the same ANCIENT God, just used a different language to refer to Him... And got religious practices mixed up with a little bit of heathen worship, that's all
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by Uyi168: 8:50pm On Nov 17, 2018
felixomor:

Mediterraneans, Africans, nubians etc started Christianity long before Europeans started.

yet ur forefathers were not Christians..
I didn't just say God, I mean the god u Christians worship
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by Uyi168: 8:52pm On Nov 17, 2018
YAHREIGNS:

Not really. Most African tribes believed in the same ANCIENT God, just used a different language to refer to Him... And got religious practices mixed up with a little bit of heathen worship, that's all
..the God u Christians worship is a European construct.. That's my point..
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by felixomor: 9:35pm On Nov 17, 2018
Uyi168:
yet ur forefathers were not Christians..
I didn't just say God, I mean the god u Christians worship
I didnt just say "God"
Yet u said "God"
Why are u dilly dallying?

And ur question isnt intelligently framed.
Why?
Christianity was already in africa as early as at 4AD...

"forefathers" for you is not the entirety of Africa.
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by Nobody: 9:56pm On Nov 17, 2018
Niflheim:

Rubbish studies!!!
There is no society or civilization without religion in the history of man.
If u kno one, thank to let us kno
Or the religion making people less intelligent, do u mean Christianity?
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by DeSepiero(m): 9:59pm On Nov 17, 2018
felixomor:

Ehn
you know nobel prize winners are not "intelligent" in your own atheist dictionary...

Even those Christians you'd now call intelligent will be the ones your pastors complain of being luke warm and backsliding. They're not true Christians perhaps smiley

1 Like

Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by DeSepiero(m): 10:01pm On Nov 17, 2018
felixomor:

Many of those people didn't even worship Jesus Christ as lord and personal savior/God as you do in Christianity.
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by DeSepiero(m): 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2018
buddenlove:

Rubbish studies!!!
There is no society or civilization without religion in the history of man.
If u kno one, thank to let us kno
Or the religion making people less intelligent, do u mean Christianity?

Look at deeply religious societies today and see their level of development compared to their secular counterpart societies.
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by felixomor: 10:06pm On Nov 17, 2018
DeSepiero:

Many of those people didn't even worship Jesus Christ as lord and personal savior/God as you do in Christianity.
Which people?
Do u know whom u are referring to
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by felixomor: 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2018
DeSepiero:

Even those Christians you'd now call intelligent will be the ones you're pastors complain of being luke warm and backsliding. They're not true Christians perhaps smiley
At first it was that they would leave religion
Now u are grasping another straw.

Abegi
Re: The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy by DeSepiero(m): 11:52pm On Nov 17, 2018
felixomor:

Which people?
Do u know whom u are referring to

Which people? The ones you first mentioned. You've forgotten?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Annoying Video Of Bishop Oyedepo Treating Church Members Worse Than Slaves. / Can Anything Come Out Of Nothing? / Do Muslims Give Offerings\tithe In Mosque?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.