Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,512 members, 7,865,148 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 01:01 PM

Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle (4265 Views)

PDP Crisis: Shekarau, Mantu, Nnamani, Others Plan New Party / 2015: Northern Govs Plan New Party To Battle Jonathan, PDP / SE Governors Should Map Out And Plan New Towns Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Onlytruth(m): 8:05am On Jul 26, 2010
Police Plan New Law

TO check kidnapping and other related crimes, the Police High Command is planning new regulations that will ensure severe sanctions for such offences.
The plan, if it sails through, will enable the police to take on-the-spot decision and action when suspected criminals are caught.
The Guardian learnt the proposal would soon be sent to the National Assembly for action with a view to stemming the high rate of crime in the country.
Already, most members of the National Assembly had in the past few months made suggestions for a bill that if passed into law will help reduce heinous crime like kidnapping, murder and armed banditry.
The new move by the police to begin work on the proposal was propelled by the recent abduction of four journalists who were later released unconditionally.
The spate of kidnapping in the South-East, which has continued unabated, prompted the Police to begin the mass deployment of serving officers and men from that zone to other parts of the country.
“The increase in crime rate within the South Eastern part of the country is a source of concern to the country. So, it will not be surprise if the Police High Command come out with more stiffer penalty to reduce the menace,” said an officer.
Statistics have shown that no fewer than 500 suspected kidnappers and over 1000-armed robbers are currently in various police cells and prisons in the South eastern states.
The increase has promoted the police state commands to become more security conscious to avert stiffer action from the Federal Government.
The Inspector General of Police (IGP) Ogbonna Onovo, in a recent interview, said his regime would remain focussed in crime fighting with a view to actualising his three-point agenda of reducing crime to its zero level and putting the country in its right path.
The high command, in its usual security meetings, had continued to plead with the civil populace to give police more clues that will help them tackle crimes within the country as it is done in other develop nations.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18002:police-plan-new-law-to-reduce-kidnapping-others&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Comments:

fugboma 2010-07-26 07:55

Having read the above article, I was quite shocked with the phrase ' will enable the police to take on-the spot decision and action'. I don't know about anybody else's view but in my book that is licence for the police to run amok. We are talking about a corrupt, incompetent, poorly trained, inept and un-professional police force that even with the current checks in place still manage to commit attrocities beyond comprehension. So imagine that same force with a carte blanche power to do whatever. I shudder to think what will happen next, suffice to say that many innocent Nigerians are going to suffer. I do recognise that the menace of Kidnapping and other heinous crimes need to be checked, but giving the Nigerian Police Farce, oh sorry, I mean the Nigerian Police Force such powers would undermine the rule of law and our democratic values.

ogbovodo 2010-07-26 05:07

when i read the headline of the story i was expecting you guys to lay out the details of the proposed new law or regulation or whatever you call it. And what does "will enable the police to take on the spot decision and action when suspected criminals are caught" means?. This is very troubling to any law abiding citizen because this could mean summary justice and typically it's jungle justice. So please i expect nothing less from the flagship but a full disclosure of the details of the so called new regulations the police are seeking from the legislature. Criminals need to be dealt with within the full extent of the law nothing less nothing more.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Onlytruth(m): 8:07am On Jul 26, 2010
So my question is this: Does it mean that the Nigerian police is incapable of operating by 20th century standards (never mind the 21st century ones) undecided

So, the only thing they can think about as a solution to the crime problem is "on the spot" execution of criminals?

What type of a country is this? 
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Onlytruth(m): 8:12am On Jul 26, 2010
I have always said it that until Nigeria is governed by civilized people, there will be no peace in that country.

Violence only breeds more violence.

The police is scheming to usurp the role of the judiciary in the dispensation of justice. They can't devise an ingenious solution to the kidnapping and other crimes, so they are doing what they know: the same old recidivism to the laws of the hobbessian jungle.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 26, 2010
the perfect recipe for complete anarchy!, but then what do you expect ? what with the elections drawing close. this is anoda ploy by the ruling politicians to use the police to execute political opponents, but then if they think that they can kill hapless Nigerians and we will sit back and watch. hey are wrong. nigerians may have sat back in fear in the ast, but now, things are canging, people are getting exposures and i promise them that something will be done.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by snowdrops(m): 12:46pm On Jul 26, 2010
By this they are asking for draconian power that delivers in their hands on the spot justice. Like power of life and death.
With the history of Nigerian police, we all know where this might lead, its the unprotected criminals and innocent civilians that would bear the brunt.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by snowdrops(m): 12:47pm On Jul 26, 2010
Already, most members of the National Assembly had in the past few months made suggestions for a bill that if passed into law will help reduce heinous crime like kidnapping, murder and armed banditry.

Funny they omitted peadophila from the list. Ok, they have at least one in their midst.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by seyibrown(f): 12:53pm On Jul 26, 2010
They must be out of their mind, whoever agrees to put this 'plan' into law!
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by desgiezd(m): 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2010
In the past, even when the police do not have this authority, they have continued to kill innocent citizens and taged them "armed robbers", now with this new law, they wont have to stay at road blocks, they'll simply enter peoples houses and wipe them out calling everybody therein "kidnappers". I just hope and pray that our lawmakers will be able to read between the lines.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2010
nigerian police aka judge dredd

Dredd is a law enforcement officer in a violent city of the future where uniformed Judges combine the powers of police, judge, jury and executioner
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Spyker: 1:14pm On Jul 26, 2010
The Nigerian Police are outdated people while the criminals are up-to-date with modern approaches in criminal tendencies.
What do you expect from a man who cannot even read or write his name yet wears black upon black uniform and patrols the street as a Law enforcement agent.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by violent(m): 1:31pm On Jul 26, 2010
None of this makes any sense!

Shouldn't they be worried about tracking and finding kidnappers first? , . . .now i see more dead bodies on the streets in the near future with more police officers screaming "don't waste bullets"!
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by agitator: 2:09pm On Jul 26, 2010
desgiezd:

I just hope and pray that our lawmakers will be able to read between the lines.

You must be dreaming, if you are not aware of the dislocate between the lawmakers and others.

this is worst than a draconian law!
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by smooooooth: 2:58pm On Jul 26, 2010
it is no news that nigerian police have always taken on the spot action on criminals and innocent citizens. so whats the news about. they are a disgrace to the nation.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by asha80(m): 3:28pm On Jul 26, 2010
smooooooth:

it is no news that nigerian police have always taken on the spot action on criminals and innocent citizens. so whats the news about. they are a disgrace to the nation.

The news now is that they have a law backing it meaning they can never be wrong now and will do it without thinking twice.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 26, 2010
smooooooth:

exactly what's on my mind.now they have license to shoot and kill innocent citizens cuz i bet anybody shot accidentally now would be categorised as kidnappers.these people must be crazy.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by DoubleN(m): 4:10pm On Jul 26, 2010
So what happens to the Law courts,If Police men are allowed to take 'On the spot Decisions'? This will lead to anarchy!
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Obalende: 4:42pm On Jul 26, 2010
@onlytruth
So my question is this: Does it mean that the Nigerian police is incapable of operating by 20th century standards (never mind the 21st century ones) Huh Undecided

So, the only thing they can think about as a solution to the crime problem is "on the spot" execution of criminals? Huh

What type of a country is this?
kidnappers are not polite; these are wicked men, if you are innocent, dont even act like a criminal; execute upon suspicion - its the only thing that can stop it with help of God. these murderers are ruthless.

civilians are not allowed to carry gun in nigeria. if someone is caught with a gun in the vicinity of a crime scene, the person should be shot. because you shouldnt hv had a gun in the first place; many would argue its not civilised but what works in europe may not necessarily work in nigeria.

like i said these men are ruthless.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by desgiezd(m): 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2010
Obalende:

@onlytruth kidnappers are not polite; these are wicked men, if you are innocent, dont even act like a criminal; execute upon suspicion - its the only thing that can stop it with help of God. these murderers are ruthless.

civilians are not allowed to carry gun in nigeria. if someone is caught with a gun in the vicinity of a crime scene, the person should be shot. because you shouldnt hv had a gun in the first place; many would argue its not civilised but what works in europe may not necessarily work in nigeria.

like i said these men are ruthless.

Do you realise the that more innocent people will be killed in cold blood than the real kidnappers? Remember, its the Nigerian Police we are talking about here.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Obalende: 4:52pm On Jul 26, 2010
desgiedz
will an innocent civilian be carrying a gun, knife or other weapon in a crime scene? too coincidental for the person to be innocent.

i understand your point though - maybe they should taser instead? but definitely, the on the spot concept is what will work in nigeria. If robbers rob a bank and depart in their van with millions, civilised methods mostly will not work because its often difficult to trace the robbers; but if you shoot and kill on the spot, justice is done; i know it seems harsh but thats my mind; the reason it has to be done this way is that nigerians go crazy with everything; there was forex craze until foreign brokers made specific policies to stop opening accs for nigerians. then kidnapping, with each successfulkidnapping, the ill is reinforced. it will take an uncommon decision and method to stop it; one many will not agree with such as this - many ppl are now entering kidnapping because they feel there is no serious consequence.

my two cents.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by desgiezd(m): 4:55pm On Jul 26, 2010
^^^ I get tyour drift but I doubt if our guys in black uniform will wait to confirm if anybody has gun or any dangerous weapon on him before they will open fire!
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by agitator: 5:03pm On Jul 26, 2010
License to kill any undesired moving object.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by philip0906(m): 5:09pm On Jul 26, 2010
~Bluetooth:

exactly what's on my mind.now they have license to shoot and kill innocent citizens cuz i bet anybody shot accidentally now would be categorised as kidnappers.these people must be crazy.
desgiezd:

^^^ I get tyour drift but I doubt if our guys in black uniform will wait to confirm if anybody has gun or any dangerous weapon on him before they will open fire!
agitator:

*FAINTS*
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 26, 2010
The plan, if it sails through, will enable the police to [b]take on-the-spot decisio[/b]n and action when suspected criminals are caught.
As if they're not already. They're just making the WRONG decisions.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by agitator: 5:25pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

As if they're not already. They're just making the WRONG decisions.

They just want to make it "official."
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by philip0906(m): 5:27pm On Jul 26, 2010
@agitator
pls delete dat ur post. . .u wan kill me with laff grin grin grin
agitator:

*DEATH*
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by mamagee3(f): 5:38pm On Jul 26, 2010
The Nigerian police for ce is a big joke. . .

And that's for sure.
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by canuck(m): 5:42pm On Jul 26, 2010
Nigeria Police can pick up a well-dressed, well-groomed, law-abiding citizen; give him several slaps, kick him, roll the guy for ground, and lo and behold, the man will resemble a hardened criminal immediately!

Next morning, they will parade him before NTA crew as a kidnapping linchpin!!! angry
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 26, 2010
canuck:

Nigeria Police can pick up a well-dressed, well-groomed, law-abiding citizen; give him several slaps, kick him, roll the guy for ground, and lo and behold, the man will resemble a hardened criminal immediately!

Next morning, they will parade him before NTA crew as a kidnapping linchpin!!! angry

ROTFLMAO!!! grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by canuck(m): 5:46pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

ROTFLMAO!!! grin grin grin

Oro buruku t'oun t'erin cheesy
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by truly: 5:50pm On Jul 26, 2010
Obalende:

desgiedz
will an innocent civilian be carrying a gun, knife or other weapon in a crime scene? too coincidental for the person to be innocent.

i understand your point though - maybe they should taser instead? but definitely, the on the spot concept is what will work in nigeria. If robbers rob a bank and depart in their van with millions, civilised methods mostly will not work because its often difficult to trace the robbers; but if you shoot and kill on the spot, justice is done; i know it seems harsh but thats my mind; the reason it has to be done this way is that nigerians go crazy with everything; there was forex craze until foreign brokers made specific policies to stop opening accs for nigerians. then kidnapping, with each successfulkidnapping, the ill is reinforced. it will take an uncommon decision and method to stop it; one many will not agree with such as this - many ppl are now entering kidnapping because they feel there is no serious consequence.

my two cents.

Who is the society for - the criminals or the innocent?
It is disheartening to see people rationalising gradual tyranny  
The issue of foreign brokers is vastly different from a situation when any provocation can result in the death of innocent people
Awosika, Apo 6 are still fresh in our minds
So who are protecting while killing innocent people

By the way, only special policemen (raiders) engage armed robbers
So the regular policemen are terrified of them
Check out what they did at ETB Ketu
I watched an old film recently - Casablanca - and discovered how policemen just waste lives of innocent people
just to be able to report action

The issue of kidnapping goes beyond SIM card registration and shooting people on the spot
What happens to the victims when you are opening fire
A friend was once robbed of his car and also held hostage by the robbers
He wasin their convoy car as they raided other cards and engaged policemen
He was eventually realeased close to the border with Benin republic
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by Obalende: 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2010

It is disheartening to see people rationalising gradual tyranny
The issue of foreign brokers is vastly different from a situation when any provocation can result in the death of innocent people

Using my bank robbery example, the robbers probably shot the security man before departing with the loot; the fact is if they have been caught in the act they should be shot. my thought thogh.

I introduced foreign broker issue to show how if something uncommon is not done, based on past experience, ppl living in the country can take things out of proportion; so if something drastic like shoot if in weapon in vicinity of scene, or shoot if caught in the act, then MANY YOUNG BOYS WILL TAKE KIDNAPPING AS THE WAY FORWARRD (jus like forex - thats where my analogy was going).
Re: Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle by ikenwan: 6:31pm On Jul 26, 2010
Obalende:

desgiedz

If a man lived in an area with a very high crime rate, he may very well choose to arm himself. If the National Police, incompetent as they are, were to arrive at an area where a crime had been committed and see him, it is possible that they might mistake him for the culprit.

This is the lesson US forces had to learn in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not everyone with a weapon was an insurgent. Some families and local tribes had taken to arming themselves so that they could fight back against armed robbers and highwaymen.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Created Neanderthals? / Woman Alleged To Be SSS Beheaded/slaughtered By Boko-haram Members [video+photo] / Tinubu Finally Broke Silence....reply Haters.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.