Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? (3945 Views)

Why Did EFCC Refuse To Investigate The Following People? / $182m Halliburton Scandal: Buhari Orders Preparation Of Case-file / London Judge Adjourns Ibori’s Case To June 6, 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Nobody: 1:38am On Jul 27, 2010
LAGOS—AS the  Dubai Police was set to extradite the former Delta State Governor, Chief James Ibori to UK for trial on money laundering and related offences, yesterday, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, said it would move its case file to Britain to aid his trial.
EFCC spokesman, Mr. Femi Babafemi, told Vanguard that the anti graft agency was determined to ensure that the former governor answered all fraud related charges brought against him both in Nigeria and the UK.

Though the agency noted that it could not directly extradite Ibori to Nigeria from Dubai because of lack of an empowering treaty between the two countries, it emphasized that it was going to work with the UK authorities by supplying them with necessary files and documents to successfully prosecute him.
Babafemi said the anti graft agency would take over Ibori’s trial after the conclusion of his alleged money laundering charges in the UK.

While explaining that the agency had not lost the battle of bringing Ibori to face justice in Nigeria, Babafemi noted: “As I am talking to you, we are working together with the UK authorities and we are supplying them necessary information and documents on Ibori’s corruption cases.
We are going to supply them with details from his alleged corruption charges file, as well as relying on them for information on what happened there. So, when we need his presence here, he will be brought probably after he must have answered his money laundering charges up there.”

Asked whether this development would not finally jeopardize his trial in Nigeria, Babafemi replied: “No, not at all, we are determined to bring him to justice no matter what it takes. We will only allow them to conclude their case with him, then we will request for his presence to answer the charges.
“I must tell you that we have not lost the struggle to ensure that he answered all charges preferred against him here, but we do not have extradition treaty with the Dubai Police, making it difficult for us to bring him here directly.”
The Dubai police, yesterday, said that James Ibori, wanted by the UK on charges of money laundering, who was arrested in May this year by Interpol police officers, would soon be extradited to London.
Interpol warrant

Acting upon an arrest warrant issued through Interpol, Dubai Police investigators arrested Ibori at a five star hotel in Palm Jumeirah. He was initially bailed and later detained, said a Dubai police source. Based on media reports, the security agencies had tried to arrest Ibori to question him over allegations that he allegedly looted $290 million from Delta State government coffers while he was governor.
However, hundreds of Ibori’s supporters prevented police from arresting him.
Chairwoman of the  Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Mrs. Farida Waziri, was quoted by media reports as saying that Ibori was detained after an arrest warrant was issued by Interpol.
When extradited Ibori would become the second person to be sent to Britain for trial from Dubai under a 2008 treaty.

[url=http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/07/26/efcc-takes-ibori%E2%80%99s-case-file-to-britain/]SOURCE[/url]

Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Beaf: 1:43am On Jul 27, 2010
. . .Because, even though he started by stealing mere bundles of zink roofing, he soon graduated to much bigger loot, that he is unjailable in 9ja. cry
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Becomrich0: 3:19am On Jul 27, 2010
Why I never make comment on Ibori case is, I sometime get confuse, if it is a fight between Uhrobo and Ijaw. My reason is, every time, they say clark said this.  so wonder, what is going on.  But if the story of charge is base by report by sahara reporter. I would tell you this, Sahara reporter makes up some of thier story, not all thier story is true. That I know. I have cross check some sahara reporter story and they are made up story to drive traffic.
There is a fight between Uhrobo people and Ijaw people. And when ever they bring clark names into it. Know it is ethnics fight.  Clark is well know in nigeria for fighting ethnics ijaw fight, and since Jonathan is said to be ijaw, any opposition Clark have been leading it.  So I am confuse.
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Becomrich0: 3:29am On Jul 27, 2010
When you see Nigeria trying to extradite his citizen to britain. When really it should be britain which should be asking for extradition. It sound very funny and tell you, something is wrong somewhere This is why I try to stay away from it.

I have never heard the USA begging other country that they want to extradite  thier citizen to thier country. It is the other way round. I am laugh, but it is not a joke. But how many nigerian, would the Nigeria govt try to extradite  to other country. it does not make sense.  Why a country is begging another country to extradite  his people. Expect if thier is an untold story?
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by ZE: 4:49am On Jul 27, 2010
@Becomrich0,

What are you blabbing? i did not understand your point.
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Becomrich0: 4:59am On Jul 27, 2010
here is my point. the USA would ask a country to extradite a british citizen. The USA would not ask any country to extradite thier own citizen to another country.  It is britain that need to make a require. But you can see that this story look more of  witch hunting by the nigeria govt.

It is nigerian govt that is asking to extradite a nigerian to another country. It sound very funny. nation term to protect thier citizen so that they can get justice, not the other way round.  the US would make sure all their citizen are tried on US soil even if the person is a criminal. even the US would  fly and pay for laywer. Is hard to convict a US citizen in another country, even if they would use the military to get thier citizen, they would.

If a country does not have an agreement with you, you cant. even if they make law in Nigeria , that law does not cover other country. If a court makes a decision in nigeria, it cover only its country expect if international law is involve. Which you have to get to the hagues to get. or is covered by UN laws.

If Ibori is seeking refugees status in dubai, he can not be remove to britain. because international law is involve. And the United nation covers the right of refugee. He is under the United nation and not under the authority of Dubai. He is protected by the united nation and its laws. And Dubai can not give up Ibori to any country expect the united nation.

Not all story on sahara reporters are truth, some of them are made up to drive traffic.
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by ZE: 5:33am On Jul 27, 2010
@Becomrich0,

Are you afraid of Ibori's conviction?
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by sayso: 11:55am On Jul 27, 2010
ZE:

@Becomrich0,

Are you afraid of Ibori's conviction?

everybody in the Nigerian government is a mare convict of money laundering,he is telling you that Ibori's case is a witch hunting case.
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Yinkaboy: 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2010
Ibori is not a fefugee, and any country has the right to deny asylum seeker Becomrich0, the host country decides who meets the criteria.

The US and Uk, have allowed there citizens to deported or extradited to other countries. It often happens to dual nationals in terrorist cases. Where they believe there is better evidence, or that they will be dealt with more harshly.

Its a good thing he is being deported to the UK. Ibori will stand as a warning to Nigerian politicians, there`s no country you can run to. The US will block you and family from entering the country (Aoondaka), Dubai will deport you, the UK will jail you for fraud, SA will beat you, the EEFC will hound you to your last breadth.

Look at the Abacha case in Swiss also!
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by LadyDee1(f): 1:17pm On Jul 27, 2010
Yinkaboy:

Ibori is not a fefugee, and any country has the right to deny asylum seeker Becomrich0, the host country decides who meets the criteria.

The US and Uk, have allowed there citizens to deported or extradited to other countries. It often happens to dual nationals in terrorist cases. Where they believe there is better evidence, or that they will be dealt with more harshly.

Its a good thing he is being deported to the UK. Ibori will stand as a warning to Nigerian politicians, there`s no country you can run to. The US will block you and family from entering the country (Aoondaka), Dubai will deport you, the UK will jail you for fraud, SA will beat you, the EEFC will hound you to your last breadth.

EXACTLY! ibori commited serious crimes in the UK, #
The evidence is in the UK
Prison is waiting for him in THE UK,
grin grin grin

I eagerly await that blessed day!!!!!
He must follow his sister and mistress, tongue
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Beaf: 1:46pm On Jul 27, 2010
Becomrich0:

Why I never make comment on Ibori case is, I sometime get confuse, if it is a fight between Uhrobo and Ijaw. My reason is, every time, they say clark said this. so wonder, what is going on. But if the story of charge is base by report by sahara reporter. I would tell you this, Sahara reporter makes up some of thier story, not all thier story is true. That I know. I have cross check some sahara reporter story and they are made up story to drive traffic.
There is a fight between Uhrobo people and Ijaw people. And when ever they bring clark names into it. Know it is ethnics fight. Clark is well know in nigeria for fighting ethnics ijaw fight, and since Jonathan is said to be ijaw, any opposition Clark have been leading it. So I am confuse.

As usual, the fool becomerich, is wearing his colours.
If only your state could be like Delta state and hound your corrupt ex-gov, Nigeria would be a better place. But of course, you always see things through a tribal prism. Abeg, publish one of your daft maps to prove the fight jare! Cow!
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by desgiezd(m): 2:48pm On Jul 27, 2010
Beaf:

. . .Because, even though he started by stealing mere bundles of zink roofing, he soon graduated to much bigger loot, that he is unjailable in 9ja. cry

Before he stole bundles of zink roofing sheets and other building materials in Abuja where he was employed to safeguard those things he had been convicted twice in the UK for petty stealing in supermarkets along with his then girlfriend, Theresa Nkoyo now Theresa Ibori (some refer to her now as his estranged wife).

Lady Dee:

EXACTLY! ibori commited serious crimes in the UK, #
The evidence is in the UK
Prison is waiting for him in THE UK,
grin grin grin

I eagerly await that blessed day!!!!!
He must follow his sister and mistress, tongue

You didnt mention that his wife will also join him there as her trial for money laundering would comence in the next couple of weeks.

James Onanefe Ibori is a virus that infects whoever moves closer to him!
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Beaf: 3:12pm On Jul 27, 2010
^
I would say his wife, Nkoyo Nakanda voluntarily infected herself. She went to a good school and had bright prospects, but chose to hook up with a zink roof thief.
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by seanet02: 5:24pm On Jul 27, 2010
BECAUSE OUR JUDICIARY STINKS AND THERE IS NO WAY HE WONT BE RELEASED BY OUR CASH AND CARRY JUDGES.
GBAM
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by GBT(m): 6:22pm On Jul 27, 2010
BECAUSE OUR JUDICIARY STINKS AND THERE IS NO WAY HE WONT BE RELEASED BY OUR CASH AND CARRY JUDGES.
GBAM

SPOT ON AND SHARP ANSWER![img][/img] wink
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Parnassuss(m): 7:17pm On Jul 27, 2010
Yinkaboy:

Everytime I make a comment on this Ibori people shout 'Witch Hunting'. Well, this particular witch don chop too many pikins in too many places, I told Becomerich in the other thread that Ibori messed up in Britain thats y he's been tried there, EFCC will give his case file Mauritania if he stole, laundered money or evaded tax there too, unfortunate my nigga choose the wrong Monarch to mess with. The 'Family' will soon send Harry to go 'make his bones' ontop Ibori head. Mafioso stylee!
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Beaf: 7:32pm On Jul 27, 2010
Parnassuss:

Everytime I make a comment on this Ibori people shout 'Witch Hunting'. Well, this particular witch don chop too many pikins in too many places, I told Becomerich in the other thread that Ibori messed up in Britain thats y he's been tried there, EFCC will give his case file Mauritania if he stole, laundered money or evaded tax there too, unfortunate my nigga choose the wrong Monarch to mess with. The 'Family' will soon send Harry to go 'make his bones' ontop Ibori head. Mafioso stylee!

grin grin grin grin
Don't mind anybody talking about witch hunting. Ibori took his petty stealing to the UK, where he first started stealing stuff like planks from B&Q, then graduated to credit card fraud and impersonation. He finally took the big leap to money laundering. . . Well, im beans don done!

He will now do time at Her Majesty's pleasure. cool cool cool
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by truly: 8:31pm On Jul 27, 2010
Yinkaboy:

Ibori is not a fefugee, and any country has the right to deny asylum seeker Becomrich0, the  host country decides who meets the criteria.

Do you seriously believe that Ibori's case is the beginning of a big fight against corruption
FYI every, repeat EVERY, Nigerian elected into public office is corrupt
You can never become the candidate of a major party without playing ball
FYI again, there is NO minister whose nomination was confirmed without the NASS being settled
If he did not pay, it was paid on his behalf

Warning? don't oppose the incumbent if you are corrupt
But if you have the incumbent on your side, you can afford to help yourself

Look at this
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5599268-147/pdp_disqualifies_aspirants_with_less_than.csp
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by EmmyBoy2(m): 9:54pm On Jul 27, 2010
@ Becomerich-Ibori commited a crime in the UK and just as has been clarified by other posters here, the evidence is in the UK, the courts to
try him are in the UK, Nigeria has an extradition treaty with the UK I believe, Nigeria is signatory to several international conventions and
should not shield any of its citizens (no matter how highly or lowly placed) who has committed a crime in foreign land and is wanted there.
Let Ibori go to the UK and face the music! There is no witch hunting involved please.
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by ZE: 12:52am On Jul 28, 2010
@ Becomerich,

What is your native language so this issue can be explained properly.
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Nobody: 1:43am On Jul 28, 2010
ZE:

@ Becomerich,

What is your native language so this issue can be explained properly.

Batu
Re: Why Did Efcc Take Ibori’s Case File To Britain ? by Beaf: 1:46am On Jul 28, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Batu

grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Are There Any Executed "Constituency Projects" In Your Area? / Afenifere To Buhari: Honouring Abiola Not Enough To Get S' West Support In 2019 / MTN Nigeria And CBN Reach Agreement, MTN Would Only Pay $35 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.