Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,052 members, 7,818,158 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky (4868 Views)

Man Finds Out Who His Biological Father Is After Carrying Out A DNA Test (photo) / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Friend's Father Is A Ghost!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by johnydon22(m): 12:36am On Nov 25, 2018
The father plays the role of the enemy to his children, perhaps uneasy for the world he has plunged them into, perhaps paranoid that they may be too innocent for the world. A hero playing the role of a villain donning the garb in every way.

He is mean and unemotional, reaching for the cane more often than not, he is the figure we all wanted to hate and hated to love but love, we still did.

That face that rarely laughed at your silly plays, haunting your every step as you jump through the fence for old man jerkin's oranges. That barking voice you dreaded as you rushed off with your peers to steal some wheels from the local beefry.

I grew up with the enemy, often questioned God for allowing me to be subjected to a life of such limited freedom. You must be either very stupid or very brave to stay outside after 6pm when papa was around and one thing is assured, you would be cured of any immediately after.

Why are they ever so different?
Why can’t Papa be like Mama?

Mama never hesitated to give me my favorite sweets, any reluctance can be melted by my sulking face beaming with misty eyes threatening to flow.

I never got a sweet from papa by asking for it, he always gave it to me when he wanted and that was rare. Any request for sweet would be met with a barrage of questions that always made me regret my request.

“Why do you need sweets?”
“Do you know sweets could make your teeth go bad?”
“Don’t you want to have strong teeth?”
“By the way, are your home works done?”
“If Okonkwo has 8 sweets and you give him 15 more, how many will he have?”

Jesus, old man! I asked for sweets not some mathematics exam.

That is the face of the enemy. Our jubilation that Papa is home in the evenings always tainted by the realization that we all had to thread with caution, no wrong movement.

“Papa welcome” We’d greet
“Goodbye Freedom, see you tomorrow when he goes off again” We’d tell our wonderful friend.

My childhood is marred by the flashes of NTA news broadcasters at 9pm, Aisha bello, Kylian Umayo and many others. I never asked for this, what is my business with Obasanjo’s policies? why exactly do I have to sit and watch?
Ok, Obasanjo won the elections, how does this concern me?

But I had no choice, running off by 9pm was more prohibited than crossing the border from Norther Korea to South.

Do I remember the countless midnight movie sessions cut short by a casual name call? Vividly.

Do I remember that subtle joy I nursed watching him get ready for a long journey? How could I forget the moments I relished most, the only times I could run and play till I had my fill, the evening news was not for me, I don’t have to be mindful of my voice as I yelled carelessly in the night.

Mama would give you a loving look full of smiles, admiration and understanding of your childish antics.

Why can’t the enemy be like Mama?

While mama would recoil at the thought of our teacher lashing out strokes of the cane on my back, Papa would ask what I did to deserve it and to him most of the times, I deserved them.

Mama would hug my sad body, wipe my tears and remind me how taking the 4th position in the class exam do not matter, I am not the wrong one, the teacher is wrong.

Papa would ask whether the other students that took the top 3 positions had extra heads. The teacher is not wrong, you are. He would negotiate a reward if I topped the class the next term.

Mama would rush to my protection as soon as she heard me cry; Chinedu has punched me in the face again. He was a peer, not older probably a little less.

“Why would he punch my baby?” Mama would curse, as she got ready to confront Mama Chinedu “Look at what your son has done to mine, my precious boy”

Papa would rather cast a disapproving look at me while I sulked and sniffed in mucus running freely as i cried.

“Don’t be that person son, don’t be that person that runs and cries when faced with a challenge, he is your peer, punch him back, don’t come crying to me” He’d say.

That was cruel and insensitive, why can’t he just be like Mama?

Mama can curse the rain for beating her son, the pains of the syringe is the doctor’s fault, my broken toe from a football match showed my peers played rougher and they were wrong for it.
You don’t want to eat Okro soup? Then don’t. I will make indomie for you or your favorite Oha soup.

What would papa do? I dare not complain about the slimy look of the okro soup; “If you won’t eat that, then prepare to go hungry or go get your own money”

Why does Papa hate me so much?
It is a simple answer, he is the enemy.

“My son will not go to that school, it is far and near a busy road” Mama complained as the posting of my Common Entrance Examination came out.

“Stop that woman, he’ll go, he will learn to cross the road like his peers, they are all not dead yet”

I want another school, my crush Ogochukwu was there, a private secondary school that never flogged or punished students, but mainly because my Ogo was there.

“I have been bullied in school”

Mama would flare up and protest “come and take me to that school to see the monster”

And Papa? “Stand up son, punch him in the face”

“I am leaving home” I remember the night I announced this to them.

His face lit up in pride, he cast an approving smile and offered his hand for a handshake. “My son, life out there is not easy but you can do it, I know my boy and never forget your mother and I are here for you anytime” that was the first handshake I ever got from him, a recognition or perhaps initiation into manhood, that handshake means more to me than the endless handshakes I get every day of my life perhaps that is why I never forgot

Mama’s eyes turned misty, sparkling under the light of the kerosene lantern flickering on the table. The sadness in her face were shouty, the look in her eyes yelled “don’t go my son, that is a scary world out there, who would protect my little chick when I am not there?”

The genuine care and kindness in Mama’s voice could never be missed.

And now, I am at my table tapping at the buttons of a computer writing this down. There is no purpose to any essay unless there is a conclusion, a lesson to be learnt.

When I think about Papa now, I imagine a superhero that I have always mistaken for a villain.

Mama certainly was my first love, Papa was my first hero.

They both loved me endlessly in different ways. Neither love was greater than the other.

While mama tried to show me the world as it should be, Papa tried to show it to me as it is.

The kind, sweet and gentle love of Mama and the strict tough love of Papa provided the balance I needed to live through this world. The world is tough and scary, needs the strong and relentless mind but there is always room for love and kindness.

Now I know, the enemy sometimes can be our greatest ally and the hero you have may take up the role of the villain as part of being a hero.

Who is the enemy?

Father is.

Source: https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/johnyskystory.com/father-is-the-enemy-an-essay/amp/

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by CAPSLOCKED: 9:43am On Nov 25, 2018
FATHER IS NOT THE ENEMY.
"ATTEMPT AND FAIL IN TRYING TO CHANGE MY ALREADY MADE UP MIND" undecided

1 Like

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by hahn(m): 10:20am On Nov 25, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:
FATHER IS NOT THE ENEMY.

You obviously didn't read the epistle. See you bringing beef from another topic into this one. No, just see you undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by hahn(m): 10:36am On Nov 25, 2018
Johnny this is a very nice write up.

Now that I have my own son I have always wondered, "what kind of father will I be?". I never had the opportunity to grow in a normal household like most people on my street. My dad left when I was 3 months old, for reasons known only to him, and forced my mother to raise me in abject poverty. I was only saved by another man, a German, who was dating my mother's friend and took interest in me.

He was my father. He sent me to school, taught me how to calculate and keep accounts even though I knew the calculator would be my best friends when it came to calculations(I am still terrible at maths), showed me first hand how he managed his business, paid his workers, how much came in and how much went out and I will be forever grateful for the times he allowed me sit in his office and listen to him discuss business deals with his clients and even allowing me on several occasions to play the secretary when he had sacked the last one(and he sacked many). He thought me how to give and show love to everyone. He appreciated everyone and was mean to everyone at the same time.

However it was never like a real home though like the one you have described. I always always welcomed into my neighbors homes and I would watch, during the weekends, how their fathers would react to us playing and making noise while we were playing around. I have been witness to several ass whoopings they received for not doing their homework or for refusing to eat what their mother had cooked Sometimes I would watch their parents in subtle romantic moments with each other laughing and even arguing and yabbing themselves.

Even though I know I would never experience such a family setting of my own I have always looked forward to creating a "perfect" family setting for my children. Yes I will be the best father I can be! I will teach them, male or female, to stand up for themselves. They will learn to fight and protect themselves and the ones they love. They will learn how to make money, I am a businessman, and provide for themselves and their family. They will learn to be logical and process every information they receive based on facts and rely on their own research. They will be the very best they can be.

And even if they hate me for it they will learn, just like you have, to appreciate it because that is what fathers do!

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by Nobody: 11:22am On Nov 25, 2018
johnydon22:

While mama tried to show me the world as it should be, Papa tried to show it to me as it is.

Now I know, the enemy sometimes can be our greatest ally and the hero you have may take up the role of the villain as part of being a hero.

Who is the enemy?

Father is.
Wonderful piece.

3 Likes

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by johnydon22(m): 11:30am On Nov 25, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:
FATHER IS NOT THE ENEMY.

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by johnydon22(m): 1:11pm On Nov 25, 2018
hahn:

You obviously didn't read the epistle. See you bringing beef from another topic into this one. No, just see you undecided
There was a beef? People still drag emotions into threads and take it from one thread to another?

That is hilarious grin grin grin

Don't worry, one day i will write an epistle on the hypocrisy, pettiness, arrogance and delusion typical with my Nigerian atheist friends. they will chop off my head that day grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by hahn(m): 2:09pm On Nov 25, 2018
johnydon22:
There was a beef? People still drag emotions into threads and take it from one thread to another?

Don't worry, one day i will write an epistle on the hypocrisy, pettiness, arrogance and delusion typical with my Nigerian atheist friends. they will chop off my head that day grin grin

Lol. Mention me abeg cheesy grin
Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by CAPSLOCKED: 2:19pm On Nov 25, 2018
hahn:

I READ IT, MR HAHN.
MY INITIAL POST WAS TO COMMEND THE PIECE BUT I EDITED TO SOUND LIKE THIS GUY... JUST FOR MY OWN AMUSEMENT.
THERE'S NO BEEF BETWEEN I AND JOHNY. WHAT ARE YOU EVEN SAYING? NA WA FOR YOU O.

THERE'S NOTHING I WON'T READ. YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS. IT IS A LOVELY EPISTLE AND THAT'S WHY WE FOLLOW JOHNY.

1 Like

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by CAPSLOCKED: 2:22pm On Nov 25, 2018
johnydon22:

DONT START TO SOUND LIKE AN ABNORMAL INFANT BECAUSE OF HAHN'S MISJUDGEMENT.
THERE'S NO BEEF BETWEEN I AND ANYONE ON THIS FORUM, AND THERE'S NOTHING LIKE ATHEIST FRIENDS. IT'S A PUBLIC FORUM WHERE NOT EVERYONE HAS TO AGREE WITH YOU EVERYTIME.
MY REGARDS.

6 Likes

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by alBHAGDADI: 2:34pm On Nov 25, 2018
lalasticlala this is one of the best posts I've read on this forum.

The below part cracked me up grin

Inever got a sweet from papa by asking for it, he always gave it to me when he wanted and that was rare. Any request for sweet would be met with a barrage of questions that always made me regret my request.

“Why do you need sweets?”
“Do you know sweets could make your teeth go bad?”
“Don’t you want to have strong teeth?”
“By the way, are your home works done?”
“If Okonkwo has 8 sweets and you give him 15 more, how many will he have?”

Jesus, old man! I asked for sweets not some mathematics exam.

Spare the rod and spoil the child. It's so sad that some men are turning into sissies with the way they raise their children.

4 Likes

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by johnydon22(m): 2:51pm On Nov 25, 2018
hahn:

Lol. Mention me abeg cheesy grin
grin e go hot
Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by mrMeen(m): 6:00pm On Nov 25, 2018
It seems like somebody recognize what I see in this current society the trend of making the father a villian, you will rarely see somebody saying they love their father they love their father. People already make up this image of their father being a demon that should be hated when in reality he is the anti hero that is prepared to deal with you merciless if it means that you will grow up the right way.

No wonder we have so many sissies in the society now a days.

Anyway I love you dad and thank you for everything.

1 Like

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by babyfaceafrica: 7:01pm On Nov 25, 2018
seen
Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by NwaAmaikpe: 7:50pm On Nov 25, 2018
shocked

This is true.
While growing up, I saw my father as an enemy.
It got so bad that I almost started bearing a grudge against the almighty for not making me a bastard.

As a dad, I know better.
God bless all the good dads out there who know when and how to terrorize their family to bring out the good in them.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by johnydon22(m): 7:52pm On Nov 25, 2018
Thanks for adding link to my blog Mod wink You can get all your superdooper stories from Johnyskystory.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by Fisher007: 7:53pm On Nov 25, 2018
Hmm
Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by Dantedasz(m): 7:54pm On Nov 25, 2018
Nice write up.
My childhood was similar to the OP. My father was a task master who brought up his children with blood and iron. A strict disciplinarian to the core. At one time I think I even hated him because of his strict nature while I loved my mother because she was so free with me.
When I became a father and family man I unconsciously understood my father and his mannerisms,which I adopted in raising my own children with some modifications.
To be honest I miss my father because he is late and I really want to talk to him and appreciate what he did in my life,but it is just too late.
To any body reading this,If your father is still alive and he is not a dead beat father but someone who provides for his family but is just a disciplinarian,Please appreciate him today in any little way you can because it may be too late when he is in the grave as he will eventually be.
I miss my father.

4 Likes

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by NamelessOGBENI(m): 7:57pm On Nov 25, 2018
I really dig the OP experience but I will advise others to check this too..

"If by Rudyard Kipling"

"Abraham Lincoln Letter to His Son Teacher by Abraham Lincoln"
Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by johnydon22(m): 7:58pm On Nov 25, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is true.
While growing up, I saw my father as an enemy.
It got so bad that I almost started bearing a grudge against the almighty for not making me a bastard.

As a dad, I know better.
God bless all the good dads out there who know when and how to terrorize their family to bring out the good in them.

We don't appreciate fathers until we day we slip into their shoes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by OKOATA(m): 8:00pm On Nov 25, 2018
When I was young father would beat me like a goat, he would naked me and beat me and pour red pepper on my body for things that doesn't make sense. I remember the day our dog bite me my dad still beat me join. Make he con try am now na punch I go give am.

1 Like

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by Kingv(m): 8:06pm On Nov 25, 2018
"While mama tried to show me the world as it should be, Papa tried to show it to me as it is"...OP

Wonderful piece

I hated my Dad for the uncountable punches I received while growing up, unknown to me he was all that I needed to be that strong and disciplined fellow the society needs
Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by johnydon22(m): 8:10pm On Nov 25, 2018
OKOATA:
When I was young father would beat me like a goat, he would naked me and beat me and pour red pepper on my body for things that doesn't make sense. I remember the day our dog bite me my dad still beat me join. Make he con try am now na punch I go give am.

That was a extreme

4 Likes

Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by pussyAvenger: 8:12pm On Nov 25, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THERE'S NO BEEF BETWEEN I AND ANYONE ON THIS FORUM, AND THERE'S NOTHING LIKE ATHEIST FRIENDS. IT'S A PUBLIC FORUM WHERE NOT EVERYONE HAS TO AGREE WITH YOU EVERYTIME.
MY REGARDS.
Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by pussyAvenger: 8:12pm On Nov 25, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

MY REGARDS.
it's every one, not everyone
Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by Oritsewhandey(m): 8:17pm On Nov 25, 2018
Good written piece from a cultureless millennia.
God bless your soul.
Re: Father Is The Enemy By Johnysky by Ranchhoddas: 8:34pm On Nov 25, 2018
This thread reminds me of my dad.

Never one to spare the rod. I also got that handshake when I got into the university.

Lost him this year.

Brought me so much grief.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Experienced Married Men Only / Living With Your Parents / I Want To Give Up Our Unborn Baby For Adoption. Any Help Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.