Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,531 members, 7,816,295 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Video Game Business In Lagos - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Video Game Business In Lagos (31182 Views)

How To Make Money Running A Video Game Store In Nigeria. / Make Money In Nigeria By Investing In A Video Game Centre / Will Game Business And Game Competition Give Huge Profits? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by freshmoney(m): 2:21pm On Aug 28, 2010
@Poster: Be sure tight security is encouraged, otherwise,here in Nigeria, dem go pack comot everything under 20minutes. I am talking from experience. cool

1 Like

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by Ranoscky(m): 3:00pm On Aug 28, 2010
OP, dat is a good n profitable biz hia in naija buh d 1 n only problem u'll have is d police! (Tho it depends on d area)

1 Like

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by AkoEja: 3:08pm On Aug 28, 2010
Good business idea, and can succeed if

1. You factor in electricity supply into your business plan - think solar/inverters/generators
2. Factor in security - highly important
3. Set it up where there is good packing space
4. Provide quality environment

2 Likes

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by sosoraf: 4:23pm On Aug 28, 2010
@poster:
Your idea of coming back home is good but doing a business like this is somehow in Nigeria particularly here in Lagos, U just have to consider some or all these factor:

Police(busting U at any point in time but depending on ur location)
ELECTRICITY(one major constrain)
Over 10 years have been into this business, It's just somehow getting through that two issues.
Others are Security,management , Location(Nigeria is where impossible is possible)

Currently I have 8 games in my center in Agege (KOMBAT ZONE), 1 PS3 and 7 PS2 and 3 PS2 at Ogba center but have closed down that of Ogba center due to management but that of Agege is still pumping well and am working towards getting it bigger.

If u are to come just consider first cost of Electricity and Management before any other thing else cos that two tie to ur income and the pricing which mostly depend on location cos quite a few number of centers of ur standard have closed down due to that reason.

U can contact me through rahoof2004@yahoo.com cos I'll like to get more PS3 and the CD's mainly PES10.

1 Like

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by marocguy(m): 6:00pm On Aug 28, 2010
@playmode. i would lyk to get more info about ur business,cos i am interested in settn up one in a locatn in my state. pls send me a mail to tonnieobiora@yahoo.com. tnx in anticipation
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by sosoraf: 7:34pm On Aug 28, 2010
sosoraf:

@poster:
Your idea of coming back home is good but doing a business like this is somehow in Nigeria particularly here in Lagos, U just have to consider some or all these factor:

Police(busting U at any point in time but depending on your location)
ELECTRICITY(one major constrain)
Over 10 years have been into this business, It's just somehow getting through that two issues.
Others are Security,management , Location(Nigeria is where impossible is possible)

Currently I have 8 games in my center in Agege (KOMBAT ZONE), 1 PS3 and 7 PS2 and 3 PS2 at Ogba center but have closed down that of Ogba center due to management but that of Agege is still pumping well and am working towards getting it bigger.

If u are to come just consider first cost of Electricity and Management before any other thing else cos that two tie to your income and the pricing which mostly depend on location cos quite a few number of centers of your standard have closed down due to that reason.

U can contact me through rahoof2004@yahoo.com cos I'll like to get more PS3 and the CD's mainly PES10.

I can downgrade/fix PSP and download game on PS2 and service PS2 as well so if u need any other info contact me on 08055120486 or rahoof2004@yahoo.com
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by oladayo042: 8:14pm On Aug 28, 2010
@Poster
How much do you charge per hour in SA? Cos that will be used determine your opportunity cost.
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 28, 2010
Hello Poster,
Am not into video games, but since you must leave SA, I can tell you a bit about the Lagos Business Environment.

The first is that most of the locations you are being advised to patronize entail a low key low level investment. But you seem to want to offer a lot of quality and a different style (decors etc)

The main key to entertainment market in Lagos is not mass even though it counts but ostentation. Silverbird Galleria proves that beyond doubt. I know a couple of people who struggle to frequent there only because it makes them feel they belong to a class.
Lagos (you already know this if you've lived here) is a place where people see associating with high class as the way to become a member.

The only way your games business will be different from students part time business is for you to give it a class. You need to find a way to key into the ostentation. It means your business should be located probably in V.I or Lekki or Ikeja. It should target young men who are passionate about games and have the money to pay a little over for the games. As long as they pay and get the satisfaction of having originals  and showing it off, they will not stop. They will not appreciate pirated games, because the need is not the game but the sartisfaction of having finer things that is unique to a high class.

You will need to combine games with some other entertainment stuff to keep the place flowing. A lot of ladies are allergic to games and would turn  their guys away from your place after the first two visits. There is nothing ladies like as much as movies and romance novels.

I conclude by saying that you should try a Cinema/Games Center combination, even if it is not push. There are places without good cinemas that would go hey-wire for something half as good as silverbird. You can also think of a Gym/Game center combo. A shopping mall Game center, etc. What ever, do not locate in a poor neighbourhood. Any family that can afford to budget for game, most likely can afford a game box at home. Families that cannot budget for game would love to kill you if you make them spend on games indirectly, bad feeling kill business gradually.
If your fund is limited,you can do the combo by partnerhips. This will even allow you roll out gradually, but your ideas might be stolen.

2 Likes

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 28, 2010
Also consider classy clubs
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by Redman44(m): 10:19pm On Aug 28, 2010
@poster,  I have been thinking of setting up a Video Game centre in Lagos that will be run by one of my brothers. It is a business I want to open that will hopefully sustain my family alongside the poultry that we have in place already. I can source cheaply for all kinds of games cheaply where I am. Thank God for this thread cool cool cool I am learning a lot already and I have started thinking of how the place will look like in Lagos. I won't have any problems with furniture for the place as my dad is a trained interior decorator.  Your business idea is brilliant. Follow your heart, mate. However, you have to be careful of the staff that you will employ to help you out. Many peeps down there cannot be trusted generally. You have to monitor the business and curb the excesses of your workers. Good luck with your dreams. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by xterra2(m): 12:16am On Aug 29, 2010
freshmoney:

@Poster: Be sure tight security is encouraged, otherwise,here in Nigeria, dem go pack comot everything under 20minutes. I am talking from experience. cool
Then how come there are still businesses in Lagos be a bit fair wink

2 Likes

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by Nobody: 1:17am On Aug 29, 2010
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by abdulram: 4:30am On Aug 29, 2010
playmode, reply me cus have got interest in ur stuff. we cud partner together here in uk cus i run a mobile shop business here. smallbintin@yahoo.com. ok

1 Like

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by consize: 6:51am On Aug 29, 2010
I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO KEEP RUNNING YOUR business in SA.
there are a multitude of problems with running that business in Nigeria,
you need to be in the shop 24/7 if not, you would be making money for your staff.
it is not possible to know how many people played in your shop throughout the day as there is no way of measuring it.
the power problem cannot be underemphasised.
the size and location of the shop is another factor.the best location is a residential area with a high population between 10-30 yrs of age,
the target market is usually people who are still dependent on their parents/guardians for money(primary/secondary/university)
cost of getting a shop that big would also be a challenge,
look b4 you leap bro,
i had the video game market in Minna-Niger state on lockdown for about 5 years but i eventually closed it down b4 i relocated to Abuja.

I think i might have frequented your shop, abi na tushman be this?

1 Like

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by consize: 6:58am On Aug 29, 2010
@poster,
you've got a very nice idea there [just loving the decor], like a lot of people have said on this forum, before you pack up and leave make sure you do a very thorough feasibility study on your business model and by the way does it have to be in lagos? I really think you would also make in Abuja.
Also if you can make your pricing reasonable especially on repairs on RROD'd Xbox 360s that would be an added advantage as the guys in Alaba charge mad money for such repairs
Goodluck
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by blacklion(m): 8:06am On Aug 29, 2010
Is video game arcade business illegal in naija? If not, why all the talk of police wahala? Is it just the usual twenty naira or what?

1 Like

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by Ruq: 11:07am On Aug 29, 2010
V.I,Ikoyi,Gbagada,Ikeja G.R.A side, i mean they have reach kids there but they still like going out for fun.
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by Krayola(m): 12:55pm On Aug 29, 2010
Sounds like a great idea. Try to figure out how much diesel or petrol u will need for uninterrupted power supply though. That could be ur biggest expense.
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by DisGuy: 4:13pm On Aug 29, 2010
you guys are talking like he has a million dollar to burn, V.I ko lekki ni,

You have to realise the guy is relocating meaning, he will need money for himself- accomodation, car, family

Best bet is to target a fairly decent area, How much is a shop at the Palms?
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by bid4rich(m): 6:40pm On Aug 29, 2010
@Poster
You have a good idea and I think coming to Nigeria will not be a bad idea at all. I particularly love playing games. So, i am convincinly convinced that your success will be unlimited if only you can get the price right in the right location, targeting the right people in the right state of mind. Success is your, keep it up.

Meanwhile, I want to use this opportunity to ask if you want to sell PS 2 and 3, how much will they go for? i need like 5 of them outsketch of south-western Nigeria. Please send me their price quotation and your mail address.

You can send the price tag to me through my e-mail address bid4rich@yahoo.com and also let me have your contacts.

God bless you bros.
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by EvilBrain1(m): 7:34pm On Aug 29, 2010
I think running a game center in Lagos carries too many risks and hidden costs. You are better off focusing on the repairs/chipping/modding aspect. Especially if you're in an ajebota area like Abuja where there're enough rich kids with consoles at home who are looking to save money by buying pirated games.
I happen to know a guy in Abuja who is making mad money repairing red ringed xbox 360s. The guy is not very good though (he wrecked my xbox). If you're even slightly more competent than the competition, then word of mouf will get you enough customers very quickly.
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by raystanley(m): 7:54pm On Aug 29, 2010
Not adviceable.

1 Like

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by DisGuy: 8:24pm On Aug 29, 2010
^^ Try Accra first grin

no police harassment, no electricity problem, no visa problem too wink

1 Like

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by Cogito(m): 11:27pm On Aug 29, 2010
First of all, I love that you want to do this. I'm not really sure what obstacles you'll face but hopefully you'll find a way to overcome them.

Like some posters here have mentioned you might want to think of expanding your enterprise rather than moving completely or even using this as a way to gradually phase out of S.A.

Another poster recommended getting into the modding/chipping market. I would only recommend this as a short term solution. I say this because I'm hopeful that sometime down the line Nigeria would become a recognised gaming location i.e "Playstation Network Nigeria" and "Xbox Live Nigeria" and if Sony and Microsoft or Nintendo establish proper presences in Nigeria they don't take very kindly to those kind of practises.

Good luck to you though, I hope it works out for you!
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by lekanbar(m): 12:34am On Aug 30, 2010
Nice idea could go either way

http://lekanbaruwa.
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by solo1ng1: 8:34am On Aug 30, 2010
@POSER,

Great idea, great concept, but you don't need to be deceived with what relatives feed you back in SA. You need to come to Lagos and witness stuffs for yourself,
Rubbish, who told you no one repairs ps3,xbox etc here, infact a million of them are here and good, most of them don't even have shop, and are all self trained repairer like yours.
You dubbed game CD is also expensive for lagos market, at Alaba, this stuffs sells for N200 only comapare to your $5, thinka about it before you fall for it, cool
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 30, 2010
The video game business is a money spinner, but it isn't legitimate in my honest opinion. Its dogged by the same problems faced by viewing centres who feed what is supposedly a meduim for private entertainment to the public for a fee.

So as a serious minded person u shud b asking urself how big do u want this to b in ten to fifteen years. What sort of problems would u anticipate by then.
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by rahyme: 11:14am On Aug 31, 2010
Hi guys, I ave a BRAND NEW
PlayStation® 3 system 250GB console for sale

FEATURES
#  250GBHDD for storing games, music, videos and photos
#  High Definition Blu-ray™ player
#  Internet ready with built-in Wi-Fi
#  Two USB ports
#  HDMI output for 1080p resolution (cable sold separately)
#  Cell Broadband Engine advanced microprocessor

A fully loaded gaming system

*  DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller
    *  AC power cord
    *  AV cable
    *  USB cable

GOES FOR #60 000(non-negotiable), CALL ME ON 08025852351

Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by kokorunna(m): 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2010
Interesting alot of people have given good and bad comments about the business. Although the profits will be small but the main factors is the location, electricity and management. I guess the best thing to do is start one in Lagos on a small scale and also keep the South African one.

Depending on your location you get rich kids in and at the same time get touts in. I will personally say beware and careful or else you will be DUPED. grin
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by bignaija(m): 9:03pm On Sep 01, 2010
naija is sweet especially thss nepa problem very sweettttttttttttttttt,
Re: Video Game Business In Lagos by naijabands(m): 8:49am On Sep 04, 2010
Hmm, Pricing, promotion packaging are the 3Ps of marketing.

How come nobody has thought of adding gaming lounges to existing posh bars and hangouts situated close to colleges and otha high institutions? The timed package will work that way.

I am interested in your ps3 and xbox games, pls email me at 9jabands@gmail.com with a comprehensive list of available games.

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ebenebe Residents Trooped Into Blord's House For Christmas Gifts (Pictures) / Woman Loses N572,000 Pension In Her Diamond Bank Account To Fraudsters In Lagos / Church Member Gives Nigeria’s Old £1 Note Used Between 1907-1973 As Offering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.