Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Brown Rice - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Brown Rice (11692 Views)

Nessa Foods - Ofada Rice, Brown Rice And Long Grain Unpolished Rice / Special Brown Rice For Diabetics And Weight Watchers. / Where Can I Get Brown Rice In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 3:45pm On Jul 28, 2010
Okay so this might be a silly question but I just had to ask.

Brown rice is healthier than white rice,yes. Is it sold locally in the market? I mean I've seen it in supermarkets at outrageous prices for a small amount so I was wondering if local markets sell it and if so,what 'local' name is it sold under.

And if anyone has eaten it please comment about the taste and possible recipes, e.g. can one make jollof brown rice? grin
Re: Brown Rice by MissyB1(m): 3:49pm On Jul 28, 2010
What's brown rice?

1 Like

Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 3:54pm On Jul 28, 2010
Rice that is brown I guess. It's the whole wheat version of white flour. You get?
Re: Brown Rice by Blueice4re(f): 3:55pm On Jul 28, 2010
I wounderooooooooo i hav not had of that b4.
Re: Brown Rice by MissyB1(m): 3:58pm On Jul 28, 2010
Ejadamen:

Rice that is brown I guess. It's the whole wheat version of white flour. You get?
This is actually the first time I'm hearing of ''Brown Rice''.  . . . .Thanks though.

This is whatchu talking about?

Ewww!!! It's not inviting at all. . . . tongue
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 4:00pm On Jul 28, 2010
Blueice4re:

I wounderooooooooo i hav not had of that b4.
Brown rice exists. Google it  if you are wondering. I have seen it in a supermarket but haven't bought it yet. I just want to know if it is sold in local markets under a name that I am not aware of.
Re: Brown Rice by Fhemmmy: 4:06pm On Jul 28, 2010
You could buy white rice and die it brown . . . tongue
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 4:12pm On Jul 28, 2010
Missy B:

This is actually the first time I'm hearing of ''Brown Rice''.  . . . .Thanks though.

This is whatchu talking about?

Ewww!!! It's not inviting at all. . . . tongue
It's a healthy option to white rice. Wheat bread doesn't taste that nice either. I guess that's it.
Fhemmmy:

You could buy white rice and die it brown . . . tongue
Unserious man grin
Re: Brown Rice by Fhemmmy: 4:14pm On Jul 28, 2010
Ejadamen:

It's a healthy option to white rice. Wheat bread doesn't taste that nice either. I guess that's it

.Unserious man grin

See this woman oh, I am giving you an idea on what you need, and you now calling me unserious, you should be calling me God-sent
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 4:41pm On Jul 28, 2010
@ Fhemmy lie lie. Okay what will I dye the rice with?

I just read online that Nigeria has local brown rice and it is called ofada rice! I will go and look for it.
Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 4:59am On Jul 29, 2010
i hate brown rice, tastes nasty and takes longer to cook. even though its much healtier than white rice

have you checked at the main markets esp where rices are sold

its called brown rice not aware of any other name for it
Re: Brown Rice by blacksta(m): 10:23am On Jul 29, 2010
I am strongly following this thread - One of my main food is white rice and if i could replace it with brown rice i believe i would lose weight fast . but the question is " Which is much healthier"
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 10:38am On Jul 29, 2010
@blacksta, the rule of thumb is that anything white is bad. From my research brown rice is healthier than white rice. But as with all healthy stuff it doesn't taste "as good" as the less healthy stuff. I read your other thread in the health section. You can substitute white rice with brown rice but it all boils down to portions. That you are eating brown rice doesn't mean one should eat a large quantity. Portions are important. If you google brown rice you'll find recipes for brown rice and how to cook it

@ Sissy,if you know how I dislike markets ehn you go fear fear grin I just wanted to know what it is called in the market before venturing there.
Re: Brown Rice by redsun(m): 12:00pm On Jul 29, 2010
White rice is the refined,processed and polished version of brown rice,it is all glamorous and starchy without the original nutrients and fibre that comes with brown.

Brown rice is rice in its original form and it is a whole lot better than white rice,though harder to cook,less tastier but definitely more nutritious.

I think it can be sourced locally direct from local rice farmers in nigeria.
Re: Brown Rice by Fhemmmy: 5:20pm On Jul 29, 2010
Die it with some melted chocolate . . . and you will get a brown rice.
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 6:38pm On Jul 29, 2010
Fhemmy! You want to blow abi? You try it and come and tell your experience.
Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 12:47am On Jul 30, 2010
blacksta:

I am strongly following this thread -  One of my main food is white rice and if i could replace it with brown rice i believe i would lose weight fast . but the question is " Which is much healthier"

nutrition-wise, brown rice is better and healthier. but taste-wise, i'd go with white rice. white rice loses most of its nutritional content during processing although most countries requires the lost nutrients to be enriched back not sure if the ones imported in naija are enriched . but i'd go with REAL brown rice if i liked the taste. as you know, tastes varies, so maybe you MIGHT Like the taste of brown rice better. so, i'd say, try a small quantities and see.

Ejadamen:

@ Sissy,if you know how I dislike markets ehn you go fear fear grin I just wanted to know what it is called in the market before venturing there.

maybe you should ask any market woman you know to maybe check for you as in the name or whether its carried in the main market before you venture. but i know its called brown rice
Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 12:59am On Jul 30, 2010
@ Blacksta

there was a study done at Harvard School of Public Health that found out that replacing White Rice With Brown Rice may Reduces Risk of Type 2 Diabetes. " people who consumed five or more servings of white rice per week had a 17% increased risk of diabetes, compared to people who ate less than one serving per month.But eating two or more servings of brown rice per week was associated with an 11% reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes, compared to eating less than one serving of brown rice per month."

They recommend replacing white rice and other refined grains with brown rice to try to prevent type 2 diabetes.
Re: Brown Rice by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 30, 2010
~Sissy~:

@ Blacksta

there was a study done at Harvard School of Public Health that found out that replacing White Rice With Brown Rice may Reduces Risk of Type 2 Diabetes. " people who consumed five or more servings of white rice per week had a 17% increased risk of diabetes, compared to people who ate less than one serving per month.But eating two or more servings of brown rice per week was associated with an 11% reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes, compared to eating less than one serving of brown rice per month."

They recommend replacing white rice and other refined grains with brown rice to try to prevent type 2 diabetes.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Cheiiii, I eat rice like crazy mehn.

Replaced white sugar with brown sugar, now my white rice for brown rice? No jose!

Now they'll be telling me that brown spaghetti is better than white spaghetti. or brown bread is better than white bread angry

Brown is the nastiest food color jor
Re: Brown Rice by OgidiBoy(m): 1:05am On Jul 30, 2010
~Sissy~:

@ Blacksta

I volunteer in a diabetes camp for children in the summer, and brown rice is what they serve for dinner on Mondays, Brown rice is health and all because of all the fiber but it's as nasty as hell. It's like chewing cardboard. grin
Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 1:44am On Jul 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Replaced white sugar with brown sugar, now my white rice for brown rice? No jose!

Now they'll be telling me that brown spaghetti is better than white spaghetti. or brown bread is better than white bread angry

OgidiBoy:

I volunteer in a diabetes camp for children in the summer, and brown rice is what they serve for dinner on Mondays, Brown rice is health and all because of all the fiber but it's as nasty as hell. It's like chewing cardboard. grin

i know! only the strong in taste-buds can withstand the tasteless taste of brown rice. not me jor. @ Ebony, some "white bread have been refined removing some its natural nutrient content however, many are added right back as in "enriched". hence, most labels put the word "fortified" or "enriched

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZXq2emzt7UZZ7iduHonl-go0rEcR-WL8nvPTfqWoTH5b7dFk&t=1&usg=__ExZZ41uSXGDyc4YJtyRrUl4kcmY= [/img]
Re: Brown Rice by OgidiBoy(m): 1:50am On Jul 30, 2010
~Sissy~:

i know! only the strong in taste-buds can withstand the tasteless taste of brown rice. not me jor. @ Ebony, some "white bread have been refined removing some its natural nutrient content however, many are added right back as in "enriched". hence, most labels put the word "fortified" or "enriched

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZXq2emzt7UZZ7iduHonl-go0rEcR-WL8nvPTfqWoTH5b7dFk&t=1&usg=__ExZZ41uSXGDyc4YJtyRrUl4kcmY=[/img]

[quote][/quote]

Sissy my dear how body ? actually brown spaghetti is healthier for you because it's not treated and bleached like the White one, just like the brown

"wheat" bread is healthier because of all the fiber.
Re: Brown Rice by Sissy3(f): 1:52am On Jul 30, 2010
bodi dey oh. how you dey?
Re: Brown Rice by OgidiBoy(m): 1:57am On Jul 30, 2010
I just dey, just having too much fun with the kids in diabetes camp. grin
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 12:46pm On Jul 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Yes brown rice,spaghetti and wheat bread is better than white rice,spaghetti and bread. Brown looks dull and doesn't taste as good but it's healthier. Doh. grin
Re: Brown Rice by Fhemmmy: 5:13pm On Jul 30, 2010
Ejadamen:

Fhemmy! You want to blow abi? You try it and come and tell your experience.

Na you dey look for am now . . . say thanks to me for giving you ideas
Re: Brown Rice by nellaluv(f): 2:41am On Jul 31, 2010
~Sissy~:

i hate brown rice, tastes nasty and takes longer to cook. even though its much healtier than white rice

have you checked at the main markets esp where rices are sold

its called brown rice not aware of any other name for it
yea, it tastes really nasty
Re: Brown Rice by olamydey(f): 10:05am On Jul 31, 2010
theres uncle benz brown rice , I must admit it doesnt taste as good as white rice, it tastes like unsweetened oats with stew, embarassed embarassed
Healthwise, Its better than white rice. wink wink
Re: Brown Rice by blacksta(m): 2:36pm On Jul 31, 2010
~Sissy~:

@ Blacksta

Interesting but as mentioned by others on this thread - Why is brown difficult to cook or taste funny and basically any kind of white food must be dangerous for one ?- what about white sugar.
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 2:44pm On Jul 31, 2010
@ blacksta, if you can get brown sugar,it's much healthier than white sugar.
Re: Brown Rice by honeric01(m): 2:55pm On Jul 31, 2010
White rice, i love am die, i eat rice almost everyday.
Re: Brown Rice by Ejadamen(f): 4:49pm On Jul 31, 2010
@ Fhemmy, thanks tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Preservative For Zobo Drink / I Dont Know How To Cook / Do You Need A Great Cake? Please Call Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.