Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,533 members, 7,954,996 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:01 PM

Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight (8496 Views)

How To Calculate Your Body Mass Index (BMI) / How You Can Loss Weight Or Reduce Pot Belly / Men: Experts Say You’re Overweight If You Can’t See Your Joystick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight by kebab(f): 10:39am On Apr 13, 2007
i have been readinp posts from people who are conscious about their weight and want to become slimmer and i have this to contribute:
it is important to know if one is underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese before deciding one wants to lose weight.
there is a simple index called the body mass index, bmi. it measures the relationship between the weight and height of a person to determine the nutritional status of an individual.

i am attaching a software to this post, so that everybody can make use of this to know what category they fall into.

its simple to use, all u need to do is know your weight and your height and insert it in the appropraite space. the software will interprete the result for you.

choose the correct and same unit for weight and height. that is, if you are using imperial, then your weight must be in measured in pounds and your height in feet and inches.
if you are using metric measurements, then your weight should be in kilograms and your height in centimeters.
Re: Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight by kebab(f): 3:29pm On Apr 13, 2007
I have checked all the BMI calculator software I have and the sizes are all above 200KB so that means I cant post it here (unless Seun decides to increase the max allowance).

For people who might find this calculation cumbersome, just reply indicating your weight and height and I will calculate ur BMI and ideal weight range.

The formula:

BMI (kg/m²) = Weight (kg) / Height² (m) ²

The value obtained is then compared against the reference standard.

BMI (kg/m²) Classification.
<18.4                 Underweight
18.5 – 24.99   --- Normal weight
25.0 – 29.99   --- Overweight
30.0 – 34.99   --- Obesity Grade 1
35.0 – 39.99   --- Obesity Grade 2
>40.0        ---     Obesity Grade 3
Re: Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight by kebab(f): 3:31pm On Apr 13, 2007
For instance, if my weight is 68kilogram, and my height is 5 feet 4 inches, I will have to convert the height measurement into meters.

The conversion factor is: multiply by 0.3048.

So my height in meters will be 5.4 x 0.3048 = 1.64592 m = 1.64 m

I will then find the square root of my height = 1.64 x 1.64 = 2.6896 m²

I will then substitute in the formula above to get my BMI.

BMI = 68 / 2.6896 = 25.28 kg/m².

My BMI is 25.28 kg/m² and when comparing to the reference standard, it shows that I am overweight and need to lose some weight.

So now that I know that I am overweight, what is my ideal weight range?

To get my ideal weight:

Remember that the normal and ideal range is 18.5 – 24.9 which means that my weight can fall in between these values.

18.5 is the lower limit while 24.9 is the upper limit.

I will simply rearrange the formula for BMI above and substitute for both the lower limit and the upper limit.

Weight (kg) = BMI (kg/m²) x Height² (m) ²

Weight = 18.5 x 2.6896 = 49.7 kg

Weight = 24.9 x 2.6896 = 66.9 kg

This means that my ideal weight is between 49 – 66 kg.
Re: Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight by xaneth: 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2007
kebab, thanks for ur kind gesture. my weight is 65kg and my height is 5 ft 6 inches.
Re: Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight by kebab(f): 4:14pm On Apr 14, 2007
@xaneth

weight = 65 kg

height = 5ft 6 inches = 5.6 x 0.3048 = 1.70 m

height² =  1.70 x 1.70 = 2.89 m²

BMI (kg/m²) = 65 / 2.89 = 22.4kg/m²

when compared with the reference standard, your bmi falls in the normal range.
Re: Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 16, 2007
my weight is 60kg

height is 1.71m

BMI is, ?
Re: Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight by kebab(f): 11:43am On Apr 18, 2007
@salsera

weight = 60 kg

height = 1.71 m

height² = 1.71 x 1.71 = 2.9241 m²

BMI (kg/m²) = 60 / 2.9241 = 20.5 kg/m²

when compared with the reference standard, your bmi falls in the normal range.

your ideal weight is: 54 kg- 72.8 kg.
Re: Body Mass Index Calculator: find out if you are normal weight or overweight by mandi: 8:06pm On Apr 18, 2007
Just use an online calculator to figure this stuff out.

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

(1) (Reply)

World AIDS Day: Despite Efforts, Challenges Still Persist / Ebonyi Records First COVID-19 Death, Umahi Shuts Courts / Small Research Grant Opportunity For Researcher: Apply Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.