Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,043 members, 7,814,563 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV (2662 Views)

The NTA Did Not Ask General Gowon To Speak In Hausa / Video Of Peter Obi's Interview On The NTA Today. / Arrest Of Chamberlain Usoh & Kayode Okikiolu Of Channels TV ... - Shehu Sani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by eyeview: 12:57pm On Dec 02, 2018
The NTA-nisation of Channels TV

Onoshe Nwabuikwu

First of all: introduction. NTA is the Nigerian Television Authority, largely federal government-owned. Once upon a time, nearly everyone in Nigeria was hooked up to NTA. Then came the deregulation of broadcasting in 1992, thank God.

On the other hand, Channels TV which began broadcasting in 1995 is owned by John Momoh as Chairman/CEO, assisted by his wife, Sola Momoh, who is vice-chairman. Never thought I’d ever use NTA and Channels TV in the same sentence. In spite of the fact that someone I know calls Channels TV ‘a glorified NTA’ or ‘a slightly better version of NTA’. Also, in spite of the fact that John Momoh is an alumnus of NTA.

I stay away from NTA as much as I can these days despite its rich source and a real treasure trove for the Come Again? section of this column. This is because NTA puts government first and journalism last. Channels TV (Dstv 254), on the other hand, ‘has a well-earned reputation as a professional establishment. Its presenters had a clear mark of excellence, standing shoulders above the competition. Winning Best TV Station for the 10th time is a testament to this. Channels TV was the station to go when you wanted unbiased objective and informed news’. This was from two years ago. Channels TV has now won the award for Best TV Station, 14 times.

If you think I was being unduly optimistic about the TV station, here’s what Channels TV says on its website about what it is set up to do: “Give an alternative medium of communication to the government-controlled media in Nigeria. Perform the role of a true watch-dog of the government and its policies and hold public officers accountable to the people”. Does this sound like the present Channels TV?

I wasn’t really interested in writing about Channels TV again; yes, again. That earlier quote was from a story I wrote for this column two years ago (February, 14 2016) titled: ‘How Not To Interview A Guest, Part 1 & 2. However, recent events have more or less compelled this write up. It began with reports that NTA, after acknowledging receipt of payment, refused to air the PDP presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar’s campaign ads. I simply waved it away. I would have been more interested in that story if there was any evidence that the broadcast watchdog, National Broadcasting Commission, would act. The NBC DG, Ishaq Modibo Kawu, was last ‘seen’ defending himself against an allegation of embezzling N2.5bn.

Then last week happened. Over 100 soldiers were killed by Boko Haram. In the process of dismissing the deaths on Channels TV’s Politics Today hosted by Seun Okinbaloye, Femi Adesina reportedly claimed countries around the world usually don’t release the names of dead soldiers, or implied words to that effect. Foreign journalists began to disprove Adesina’s claims almost immediately. Even at that, I shrugged Adesina’s comments off. This is Femi Adesina we are talking about, the man who has a collection of greatest hits such as Wailing Wailers, among others.

However, by Tuesday, the story was different. There were claims that Adesina’s interview uploaded online had been edited to remove the controversial parts. Now, this is a new low for Nigeria’s supposedly best TV station. I am not surprised about the station trying to outdo NTA as a better promoter of the government, contrary to their mission statement. I first called Channels TV out two years ago when Maupe Ogun-Yusuf had an interview with the NCP’s Mark Onovo. She sounded like the militant press arm of the ruling party. Once in a while, I notice the presenters remember they are supposed to be journalists. I see the struggle. It must take extra power for them to dumb themselves down, the way they do, week in, week out, and interviewee after interviewee.

Imagine a Festus Keyamo comes on your show crowing about all kinds of achievements and you, the interviewer, has to have a conversation like you live on the moon and only just stepped in for that interview. And just how scary the Nigeria Police gets when they decide to prove they know the law. You should see Channels TV guys when the guest is an ‘opposition’ politician. The other day, when Mustapha Chike-Obi was a guest on Sunrise Daily, Chamberlain Usoh and Nneota Egbe couldn’t ask him questions fast enough. For this reason, I’m willing to concede that perhaps, just perhaps, Channels TV deserves their title of Best TV Station, after all. All that hard work! The question should be: ‘Best TV Station in Nigeria,’ For what? Doctoring videos?

Just before concluding this piece, I decided to watch Sunrise Daily just in case something had changed. Immediately after the review, the next guest that was promoted was Garba Shehu, who is the better half of the presidential Aki and Pawpaw Show. No, I didn’t wait to find out what he said.

I don’t blame presidential media aides for doing their job, the way they understand it. But I blame journalists for not doing their own jobs.

https://punchng.com/thenta-nisation-of-channels-tv/

7 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by eyeview: 1:29pm On Dec 02, 2018
Personally, I have since noticed that channels are heavily biased against opposition guests in their studio. When an opposition guest or someone they believe holds a contrary view to that of buhari and the APC is in the studio, you would think the person is a defendant in a law court where the interviewer is the prosecutor who has a job to convict him or perhaps discredit him before the viewing public. However, when a pro buhari figure is the guest, you see the same panellists or interviewer lose all sense of prowress. Sometimes, you will see the guest in the quest to cover up lies, make some glaring blunders which one will expect a smart journalist to pick on but they will let it slide. The worst was maupe ogun. Because of her celebrated amorous relationship with the APC majority leader, Femi Gbajabiamilla, she always took it personal whenever the guest tend to vilify the APC or their lies.

Sadly today, whenever Channels Tv announces the presence of an APC stalwart or apologist in their studio, I just changed the station because I know it's a prearranged publicity stunt for the guest and APC and not a drill aimed at extracting the fact and truth. The interview will be a mere academic exercise aimed at guiding the guest to pass on to the public whatever propaganda he wishes to deceive Nigerians with. It's very sad that channels has gone this way. My best news station today is Arise Tv. Very professional and objective with top notch quality broadcasting. I wonder how Channels still gets to win awards with Arise Tv in existence.

As for NTA, journalism has since gone to the dogs there. I knew NTA was headed for this when President Buhari on assumption of office, ensured his very first appointment was the appointment of his relation as the DG of NTA, six months before even appointing ministers! I don't dare watch that station, even if my life depended on it. I tell any young journalism student that if you wish to practice journalism and understand it's tenets, don't go near NTA. It is so bad that recently I travelled to my modest village in IMO state for some engagements. After I was done, I decided to spend about three days in the quiet hinterland devoid of the mad city rush. With my dstv remote, I planned to stay indoors and just watch tv peacefully but on the second day of my three days rest, the subscription expired as my favourite channels started disappearing one by one till I was left with NTA. I tried watching the station and the lies, propaganda and one sided news reporting was so infuriating that I put off the tv, went up, parked my belongings and travelled back to Lagos, cutting short my rest by one day. If you are a foreigner and watch only NTA, you will at a point think Adams Oshiomole is Nigeria's president. It's that partisan. And yet there were some major newsworthy events that took place in the PDP that will be conspicuously missing on nta news.

It's very sad that channels decided to tow this partisan part.

16 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Omeokachie: 1:44pm On Dec 02, 2018
Wonder why they stopped inviting Martin Onovo for interviews? He sent them all scampering for cover with facts and always refusing to be boxed into a corner.

Wonder why it is known APC apologists like Kayode Ogundamisi, Bwala, Adigba and co that Okinbaloye introduces as "political analysts" grin

10 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by malatachete: 2:02pm On Dec 02, 2018
Front page. Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by ezugegere(m): 3:11pm On Dec 02, 2018
He that pays the piper dictates the tone

4 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Nobody: 3:53pm On Dec 02, 2018
Everybody has a price.

APC finally paid Momoh what he's worth

14 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by awgumayor: 6:12am On Dec 03, 2018
Why is NTA Intl looks so outdated? Because corruption will not allow it to be upgraded. Over here I feel ashamed telling my friends it's my nation's national television.

3 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by raumdeuter: 6:16am On Dec 03, 2018
What happened to AIT the PDP channel that aired a documentary on Buhari.

Is it no longer in existence? why dont you go to AIT instead of wailing about Channels

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Nobody: 6:28am On Dec 03, 2018
raumdeuter:
What happened to AIT the PDP channel that aired a documentary on Buhari.

Is it no longer in existence? why dont you go to AIT instead of wailing about Channels

This is not a wailing matter. We have 2 political stations already that supports the party of their owners.
TVC=APC
AIT=PDP
Channels TV used to be neutral, but currently I can't say so. Currently Channels=APC

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by id911(m): 6:29am On Dec 03, 2018
Omeokachie:
Wonder why they stopped inviting Martin Onovo for interviews? He sent them all scampering for cover with facts and always refusing to be boxed into a corner.

Wonder why it is known APC apologists like Kayode Ogundamisi, Bwala, Adigba and co that Okinbaloye introduces as "political analysts" grin

We have banned Channels TV in our home

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by aolawale025: 6:49am On Dec 03, 2018
Ekinematics:

This is not a wailing matter. We have 2 political stations already that supports the party of their owners.
TVC=APC
AIT=PDP
Channels TV used to be neutral, but currently I can't say so. Currently Channels=APC

Noticed same about channels. They used to be better. Ideally the press should be a watchdog

10 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by lordkush: 7:16am On Dec 03, 2018
I watch silverbird. ait. core tv.

channels is trash.

5 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by digScratcher: 7:26am On Dec 03, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4870288/nnpc-gave-john-momoh-channels

'NNPC Gave John Momoh, Channels TV N19 Billion To Promote Buhari' - Leadersng

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by slimfit1(m): 7:52am On Dec 03, 2018
Most of the journalist in Nigeria are hungry, they ask stupid questions all the time. They write just to collect money from politicians we know them.
They don't know how to be creative in their approach to this field to earn a living.

2 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by zombieHUNTER: 7:55am On Dec 03, 2018
digScratcher:
https://www.nairaland.com/4870288/nnpc-gave-john-momoh-channels

'NNPC Gave John Momoh, Channels TV N19 Billion To Promote Buhari' - Leadersng

Gbam...

That's looted money
Who says Buhari will not go to hell

God punish all those supporting this evil administration

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Jombom: 8:02am On Dec 03, 2018
eyeview:
Personally, I have since noticed that channels are heavily biased against opposition guests in their studio. When an opposition guest or someone they believe holds a contrary view to that of buhari and the APC is in the studio, you would think the person is a defendant in a law court where the interviewer is the prosecutor who has a job to convict him or perhaps discredit him before the viewing public. However, when a pro buhari figure is the guest, you see the same panellists or interviewer lose all sense of prowress. Sometimes, you will see the guest in the quest to cover up lies, make some glaring blunders which one will expect a smart journalist to pick on but they will let it slide. The worst was maupe ogun. Because of her celebrated amorous relationship with the APC majority leader, Femi Gbajabiamilla, she always took it personal whenever the guest tend to vilify the APC or their lies.

Sadly today, whenever Channels Tv announces the presence of an APC stalwart or apologist in their studio, I just changed the station because I know it's a prearranged publicity stunt for the guest and APC and not a drill aimed at extracting the fact and truth. The interview will be a mere academic exercise aimed at guiding the guest to pass on to the public whatever propaganda he wishes to deceive Nigerians with. It's very sad that channels has gone this way. My best news station today is Arise Tv. Very professional and objective with top notch quality broadcasting. I wonder how Channels still gets to win awards with Arise Tv in existence.

As for NTA, journalism has since gone to the dogs there. I knew NTA was headed for this when President Buhari on assumption of office, ensured his very first appointment was the appointment of his relation as the DG of NTA, six months before even appointing ministers! I don't dare watch that station, even if my life depended on it. I tell any young journalism student that if you wish to practice journalism and understand it's tenets, don't go near NTA. It is so bad that recently I travelled to my modest village in IMO state for some engagements. After I was done, I decided to spend about three days in the quiet hinterland devoid of the mad city rush. With my dstv remote, I planned to stay indoors and just watch tv peacefully but on the second day of my three days rest, the subscription expired as my favourite channels started disappearing one by one till I was left with NTA. I tried watching the station and the lies, propaganda and one sided news reporting was so infuriating that I put off the tv, went up, parked my belongings and travelled back to Lagos, cutting short my rest by one day. If you are a foreigner and watch only NTA, you will at a point think Adams Oshiomole is Nigeria's president. It's that partisan. And yet there were some major newsworthy events that took place in the PDP that will be conspicuously missing on nta news.

It's very sad that channels decided to tow this partisan part.
How hard does Nigeria need to let you Igbos know your opinion does not count ? You can go to hell with your lies, this is the same lies your fathers told that lead to over 3million death of your kind now it is amorous relationship bye Gbajabiamilla n Maupe. It is lies that will finish you n your kinsmen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by sirfemoz(m): 9:50am On Dec 03, 2018
Jombom:
How hard does Nigeria need to let you Igbos know your opinion does not count ? You can go to hell with your lies, this is the same lies your fathers told that lead to over 3million death of your kind now it is amorous relationship bye Gbajabiamilla n Maupe. It is lies that will finish you n your kinsmen. [/b]

You really have a problem. And you need help ASAP.

4 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by rejoice4eva(m): 10:06am On Dec 03, 2018
Will Nigeria ever get it right ? Education,0, leadership :0 Power secto :0, sports ; 0, socially:0 Education:0 etc God help us ooo . SMH
Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by madapcmod: 10:12am On Dec 03, 2018
Maupe Ogun. That big eye assshole, I switch off my TV anytime I see her on Channels.

Channels TV has become glaringly partisan that i hardly watch them anymore. Arise, silver bird and CNN are my news stations nowadays

3 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 03, 2018
eyeview:
the subscription expired as my favourite channels started disappearing one by one till I was left with NTA. I tried watching the station and the lies, propaganda and one sided news reporting was so infuriating that I put off the tv, went up, parked my belongings and travelled back to Lagos, cutting short my rest by one day. If you are a foreigner and watch only NTA, you will at a point think Adams Oshiomole is Nigeria's president. It's that partisan. And yet there were some major newsworthy events that took place in the PDP that will be conspicuously missing on nta news.

una no go kill person with laugh for nairaland grin

1 Like

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by docadams: 10:34am On Dec 03, 2018
Ekinematics:

TVC=APC
AIT=PDP

You forgot, Igbere Tv, Arise tv Stv=PDP

1 Like

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Sirjamo: 10:34am On Dec 03, 2018
Typical wailers. Channels is the most unbiased, objective, professional, factual, balanced and well run TV station in Nigeria today, PDP supporters hate Channels because it hosts and presenters always fact check every of their lies,propaganda, misrepresentation, outright falsehood and always make sure nobody commit slander on their platform.

Like someone up there rightly pointed out, AIT is the place to go for every PDP Robots, its where you will experience all sorts of abuse of journalism ethics, from news commercialization to brown envelope to subjective editorial to ownership interference to Afghanistanisn etc just like the PDP love it.

1 Like

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 03, 2018
madapcmod:
Maupe Ogun. That big eye assshole, I switch off my TV anytime I see her on Channels.

Channels TV has become glaringly partisan that i hardly watch them anymore. Arise, silver bird and CNN are my news stations nowadays
Please don't call CNN here, that is the most biased and wailing news Network in the world.

Their cover has been blown and people are seeing the for what they are.

CNN has been every American government propaganda before Trump, now they are bashing him all over and even exaggerate issues so glaringly that people are now seeing their vendetta program against the man.

2 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by eyeview: 12:49pm On Dec 03, 2018
Jombom:
How hard does Nigeria need to let you Igbos know your opinion does not count ? You can go to hell with your lies, this is the same lies your fathers told that lead to over 3million death of your kind now it is amorous relationship bye Gbajabiamilla n Maupe. It is lies that will finish you n your kinsmen. [/b]
Son, don't take my word for it. Ask anyone in the know. Also, verify who funded her moms burial at badagry and if he wasn't there by her side from start to finish there in badagry.
Son, don't quote me again. What you don't know won't kill you

http://kokofeed.com/2015/07/28/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-femi-gbajabiamila-new-majority-leader-of-the-house-of-representatives/

https://www.nairaland.com/2096704/maupe-ogun-popular-tv-presenter

http://www.ourclipart.com/clipart/maupe ogun/
Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 03, 2018
docadams:

You forgot, Igbere Tv, Arise tv Stv=PDP

I only listed the popular TV stations.
These 3 have a bigger fellowership than the rest and they cover wider range of Nigeria, though TVC is 95% Lagos.

My major issue is channels cannot be trusted anymore.

1 Like

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 03, 2018
madapcmod:

You are still assimilating partisan news by watching CNN. CNN is now completely rubbish.
Anti Trump propaganda is now the order of the day by cnn, you can see the reasons given by their former employees why they left CNN. Can't remember the last time I watched CNN this year.

1 Like

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 03, 2018
kingkakaone:

Please don't call CNN here, that is the most biased and wailing news Network in the world.

Their cover has been blown and people are seeing the for what they are.

CNN has been every American government propaganda before Trump, now they are bashing him all over and even exaggerate issues so glaringly that people are now seeing their vendetta program against the man.

CNN is a pro democrats news station. But people no longer take CNN serious because of their visible and palpable hate for anything Trump.
Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2018
Sirjamo:
Typical wailers. Channels is the most unbiased, objective, professional, factual, balanced and well run TV station in Nigeria today, PDP supporters hate Channels because it hosts and presenters always fact check every of their lies,propaganda, misrepresentation, outright falsehood and always make sure nobody commit slander on their platform.

Like someone up there rightly pointed out, AIT is the place to go for every PDP Robots, its where you will experience all sorts of abuse of journalism ethics, from news commercialization to brown envelope to subjective editorial to ownership interference to Afghanistanisn etc just like the PDP love it.

Channels TV has deteriorated in the last 3 years, just like CNN. DW is the new kid on the block.
Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by docadams: 1:20pm On Dec 03, 2018
Ekinematics:

I only listed the popular TV stations.
These 3 have a bigger fellowship than the rest and they cover wider range of Nigeria, though TVC is 95% Lagos.

My major issue is channels cannot be trusted anymore.

Why point out only channels when all stations are guilty. Are they all not supposed to be bound by same ethical codes. Tell me, was it not Channels permissiveness towards the PDP that earned Channels and Maupe a court summon?
Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by gidgiddy: 1:22pm On Dec 03, 2018
Ekinematics:

TVC=APC
AIT=PDP

What did you expect? A chieftain of PDP owns AIT. Another Chieftain of APC owns TVC. Channels was anti-PDP and became an APC mouthpiece. It was only after APC turned out to be a hopeless failure that Channels started backtracking to the centre ground.

Maupe Ogun infuriates me, I don't like seeing that woman

Another person that gets my goat is uncle Yori Folarin of TVC. That man believes that the sun shines out of Buhari's @$$

2 Likes

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by kapelvej: 1:23pm On Dec 03, 2018
Yes you are right, especially the he-goat bearded Ajuri Ngilali. He simply an APC Man

1 Like

Re: The NTA-nisation Of Channels TV by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 03, 2018
docadams:

Why point out only channels when all stations are guilty. Are they all not supposed to be bound by same ethical codes. Tell me, was it not Channels permissiveness towards the PDP that earned Channels and Maupe a court summon?

Channels used to be neutral since the owner is not a known member of any political party. The others belong to members of political parties and they are doing their biddings.

If you follow Channels well you'll know that they're not the station they used to be 3 years ago. They've lost their mojo.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo: Office Workers Gather To Watch Peter OBI Chatham House Presentation / Tinubu Supporters Protesting At Venue Of PEPT Judgement / Encounter With Zimbabwean Farmers In Shonga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.