Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,645 members, 7,955,350 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:37 PM

Samuel Ladoke Akintola - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Samuel Ladoke Akintola (23456 Views)

Reminiscences: Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola 50 Years After - Abimbola Akintola / Samuel Ladoke Akintola's Unique Humor Sense / Samuel Ladoke Akintola The Yoruba Leader Unsung (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by OAM4J: 10:55pm On Dec 30, 2010
bermuda1:

@ Lagbaja20 et al

You guys continue to exhibit the basic structural failures that have enveloped the Yorubas politically. That is the erroneous belief that you are right and everybody else is wrong. That is why Awo was a political liability and that is why those who continue to continue the political doctrine of Awo will glorified local champions.

Awo and his disciples will always win a free and fair election in Yoruba land (including Edo) hands down. Awo and his disciples would never win even a councillorship election anywhere outside Yorubaland (including Edo).

The problem of Yorubaland is that anybody who even tries to integrate into the mainstream of Nigerian politics is tagged a saboteur, betrayer etc. in their life time people like Akintola, Adelabu, Abiola, Akinloye, Akinjide, Obasanjo, Bola Ige, Jakande, Babatope etc have been labelled thus.

Yoruba politics is characterised by a Herd mentality where the belief is that we all have to follow the progressive party and all be like egbe omo oduduwa. Guys, its almost 2011 that style would not work, you will be doomed into a period of perpetual opposition and irrelevance.

To answer Lagbaja's question on development. The Yoruba states have no real basis for comparison. They all voted Action Group, UPN and SDP and AD. All these are progressive parties. PDP came in 2003 in all states but Lagos. A case can be made that the PDP governors of 2003 did no worse than the AD governors of 1999.

There are some real stand out governors from the Awo school of politics. Awo himself, Lateef Jakande and now Raji Fashola. This however does not give the Awoists exclusivity in producing good governors. Tatari Ali, Sam Mbakwe and Rotimi Amechi can equally hold their own anywhere.

What is our business in winning election outside SW? All we want is to have our destinies in our hands

If anyone needs our support to get to the centre, then it will be on our own terms and gains (call it selfish if you like).

The real need and solution to Nigeria many problems is True-federalism, and again SW is leading the pack on how to do it.

Let each region have control over itself and develop at it's own pace. Shikenau!

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Jimvon: 11:31pm On Dec 30, 2010
In response to Bermuda1, the truth of the matter is,

Yorubas have social mores and aspirations that are sometimes the same as those of Nigerians from other ethnic groups, but sometimes different.

It is patently obvious that the Awo school of politics has served Yorubas better on the whole than the so called "detribalised" impulse as exemplified by the stance of Obasanjo.

Having said that, Obasanjo is a Yoruba man and he has set the bar higher for any Yorubas that want to serve in the highest office in the land.

There isn't actually very much to argue about here. There will always be a zeitgeist within any social or ethnic group. Who can blame Awo and his supporters for having their fingers on the pulse for the majority of Yorubas?

Perhaps Obasanjo and Akintola's admirers have different priorities. One man's meat,  smiley
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by nolongtin(m): 1:06am On Jul 18, 2011
read every comment on dis thread,so educative.
@dayokano i now know why u try to put down awo in some threads, i will do same if akintola was a relative ur only trying to help a family,but the yorubas no their leader and akintola is not 1.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tpia5: 1:10am On Jul 18, 2011
dont think too many people take dayokanu seriously any more.

he singlehandedly destroyed his own credibility.

watch this space.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Ystranger: 3:01am On Jul 18, 2011
tpia@:

watch this space.

You and DK, forever together.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Ystranger: 3:09am On Jul 18, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Dayo, pardon my ignorance, but what/who is/are an Aare Ona kakanfo

What are they supposed to do? Or are they the same thing as "Oba" of Yorubaland?

Gem! Gem!! Gem!!!

Ileke-leke-leke-leke-leke-leke-idi oooooooooooooo

What are they supposed to do?

ROFLMAO

Aare Ona Kakanfo = Oba of Yorubaland

:::Yoruba history according to St. Ileke-idi :::
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by NegroNtns(m): 3:52am On Jul 18, 2011
Lol!

Why does an Aare's life end in controversy and in a political battle?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ektbear: 1:32pm On Jul 18, 2011
Great thread.

This Awolowo/Akintola beef imo was one of the biggest disasters Yorubaland has faced in history. We lost a lot from it. Could have lost everything.

Akintola as Afonja is not a bad analogy (no offense intended Dayo_Kanu).

We need to understand that outsiders who want to empower one faction over another in Yorubaland usually mean us harm.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 9:17pm On Jul 18, 2011
ekt_bear,

If you had been in Akintolas shoes, What would you have done?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 9:18pm On Jul 18, 2011
Ystranger:

You and DK, forever together.

tpia@:

watch this space.

As long as my cred[b]OBO[/b]lity with you is intact, then I dont mind
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by ektbear: 9:59pm On Jul 18, 2011
dayokanu:

ekt_bear,

If you had been in Akintolas shoes, What would you have done?

DK: I am no saint. Nor do I claim to be extremely farsighted. I probably would have done the same thing Akintola did. However, you do recognize that it was a complete disaster for Yorubaland, right?

I'm not absolving Awolowo of the blame btw. Both are responsible. But it seems to me that Akintola should get the lion's share of the blame for playing into the hands of the enemies of Yorubaland (North and East)
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 10:08pm On Jul 18, 2011
Almost everyone I have asked the same question claimed they would have done exactly the same thing Akintola did yet they blamed Akintola for doing what they would have done.

Actually I think Akintola was the one who liberated Yorubas for the Ibo domination.

As you read it was Akintolas party that challenged the East for Southern posts that were given to Awolowo. It was the frustration that led Ibo soldiers to plan the coup and kill the ones obstructing them from total domination of Nigeria

If Akintola hadnt done that Balewa/Bello/Zik would have screwed the SW far more than we bargained fr when the VC's of UI, UNILAG were Ibo men until Akintola came.

Probably would have declared a State of Emergency in the West and made an Ibo man to be Premier to achieve what Zik had in mind ab initio before the cross carpeting and what Ojukwu intended to do with his Biafra troops that were stopped at ore
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by seanet02: 10:57pm On Jul 18, 2011
After a clinical analysis of this thread, i was able to arrive at this conclusions
1. AG was a Party largely based and supported in the western Region
2. Awolowo was the leader of the Party
3. Awolowo wanted to contest for Lagos so Akintola was appointed to replace him
4. Awolowo lost
5. Akintola was impeached and removed by the Governor according to the constitution.
6. After all the legal battles, the HIGHEST COURT IN NIGERIA WHICH IS THE PRIVY COUNCIL DECIDED THAT THE DECISION OF THE GOVERNOR TO REMOVE Akintola was in order.
7. Akintola refuse to vacate the seat despite the Judgement of the Highest court against him.
8. The northern leaders saw this as an opportunity to deal with Awolowo and so took side with Akintola
9. The Federal government against the provisions of the Constitution which Recognizes the THE PRIVY COUNCIL AS THE HIGHEST COURT ON ANY NIGERIAN ISSUE illegally aided Akintola to remain in a Position he has been Removed and in which his Removal has been VINDICATED BY THE HIGHEST COURT IN NIGERIA WHICH RULED THAT HIS REMOVAL IS LEGAL AND NORMAL.
Therefore any sane Judgement on the issue should be
1. Since Akintola's Removal has been authenticated by THE HIGHEST COURT RECOGNIZED BY THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION (the same constitution that make provisions for the appointment of akintola) it was wrong for him and the federal government to have gone against the CONSTITUTION (by not respecting the Judgement of THE PRIVY COUNCIL WHICH IS RECOGNIZED BY THE CONSTITUTION AS THE HIGHEST COURT)
2. Akintola is a selfish, dubious and a very useless man. May he rot away in hell. He is a crook. Simple as ABC.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by seanet02: 11:06pm On Jul 18, 2011
dayokanu:

Almost everyone I have asked the same question claimed they would have done exactly the same thing Akintola did yet they blamed Akintola for doing what they would have done.

Actually I think Akintola was the one who liberated Yorubas for the Ibo domination.

As you read it was Akintolas party that challenged the East for Southern posts that were given to Awolowo. It was the frustration that led Ibo soldiers to plan the coup and kill the ones obstructing them from total domination of Nigeria

If Akintola hadnt done that Balewa/Bello/Zik would have screwed the SW far more than we bargained fr when the VC's of UI, UNILAG were Ibo men until Akintola came.

Probably would have declared a State of Emergency in the West and made an Ibo man to be Premier to achieve what Zik had in mind ab initio before the cross carpeting and what Ojukwu intended to do with his Biafra troops that were stopped at ore
Thank God you emphasize that "Akintola liberated Yoruba for ibos domination" and not "Liberated us from"With due Respect sir, you have allowed the Ogbomosho connection to becloud your sense of reasoning on this particular issue (No insult intended, i hold you in high esteem and will continue to do so sir)
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 11:20pm On Jul 18, 2011
Do you want to argue with facts?

Who was VC of UNILAG before Akintola NNDP came to power?

It was on record that Akintola sought redress in court for every decision like its done in a sane environment. Now who were the Wetie proponents?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by seanet02: 11:29pm On Jul 18, 2011
dayokanu:

Do you want to argue with facts?

Who was VC of UNILAG before Akintola NNDP came to power?

It was on record that Akintola sought redress in court for every decision like its done in a sane environment. Now who were the Wetie proponents?
Sir, the fact remains Akintola refused to Respect the DECISION OF THE HIGHEST COURT IN NIGERIA WHICH AUTHENTICATED HIS REMOVAL! Sir, yes or no in a single word.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by dayokanu(m): 12:05am On Jul 19, 2011
Akintola contested every decision in court YES or NO?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by petertosh: 12:15am On Jul 19, 2011
seanet02:

Sir, the fact remains Akintola refused to Respect the DECISION OF THE HIGHEST COURT IN NIGERIA WHICH AUTHENTICATED HIS REMOVAL! Sir, yes or no in a single word.
So Akintola was a Laurent Gbagbo in disguise.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by seanet02: 4:07am On Jul 19, 2011
dayokanu:

Akintola contested every decision in court YES or NO?
yes but he lost at the Apex court and there was no basis for him to illegaly hold on to power. I know you are much better than This, but sir, you did not answer my question and if you feel like answering it, let it be in one word sir.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by seanet02: 4:11am On Jul 19, 2011
Akintola contested the case at different courts and he lost the case at the highest court.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by DrummaBoy(m): 12:01pm On Jul 19, 2011
This' a good debate btw Dayokanu & Katsumoto. Devoid of insults too. Thanks guys for d informations.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by kunlekunle: 12:47pm On Jul 19, 2011
dayokanu

the rift between both guys was what tinubu is doing in lagos hence his tentacles covering the whole of SW
when awo left for national leadership, akintola became the head of the western region. he had formed his team and consolidated it, when awo lost at national level he wanted the western leadership, akintola refused then the chaos
if tinubu had simply let go lagos state, he'll be history in nigerian politics.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tunnytox(m): 8:59pm On Jan 21, 2012
How come I didn't see this thead for such a long time?
BRB
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tunnytox(m): 11:25am On Jan 28, 2012
I have just finished watching Samuel Ladoke Akintola's speech on youtube he was absolutely amazing! He knows what he want for the Yoruba people, he fears that if Yorubas continue to practice regional politics we will very soon be consumed by the ever ambitious and selfish Ibos, he craved for Yoruba participation in the Federal government and alligned with the northern parties this i believe is the best approach.
This youtube speech realy vindicated SLA and the reason for his political difference with Awo. 'Eni kan kii je ki ile o fe' , 'Awon ibo alakuko', Oro Akintola ko ni eleyi beeni kii se oro Awolowo
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tunnytox(m): 11:27am On Jan 28, 2012
Bi o de ibiyi okechukwu, bi o de ohun nbadiwe, se awon ibo nikan lo wa ni? grin grin grin
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Dede1(m): 12:53pm On Jan 28, 2012
Deokuta is an irresponsible dingbat. I am happy to read from the forum at the instance where even seannet02 was teaching dumbass a lesson on Akintola's defeats.

Deokuta, the junkyard dog, had the effrontery to publicize Tribune and Daily Sketch front page creation of Aare Ona kakanfos such as Akintola on this forum. I guess Deokuta is a drooling dunce and believes everyone that navigates to this forum is in the same class with him and ikebe of Ekiti.

In my book, the real Aare Ona kanafos were Basorun of Ibadan and Kumrunmi of Ijaye. Afonja of Ilorin should also be mentioned except for his bonehead deal with Alimi.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tunnytox(m): 1:50pm On Jan 28, 2012
undecided
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by T9ksy(m): 2:39pm On Jan 28, 2012
Dede1:

Deokuta is an irresponsible dingbat. I am happy to read from the forum at the instance where even seannet02 was teaching dumbass a lesson on Akintola's defeats.

Deokuta, the junkyard dog, had the effrontery to publicize a Tribune front page Aare Ona kakanfo such as Akintola on this forum. I guess Deokuta is a drooling dunce and believes everyone that navigates to this forum is in the same class with him and ikebe of Ekiti.

In my book, the real Aare Ona kanafos were Basorun of Ibadan and Kumrunmi of Ijaye. Afonja of Ilorin should also be mentioned except for his bonehead deal with Alimi.   

Bonehead deal? wasn't that the same "bonehead" deal ojukwu had with Banjo? Except this time, the yorubas didn't fall for it hence your deep rooted animosity towards the yorubas.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Dede1(m): 2:50pm On Jan 28, 2012
As I read the posts engendered by the debate bordering on the personalities of Awolowo and Akintola, ominous script kept occupying my sense of reason that Yoruba people are very treacherous.

I know most of the historical facts that joined the two inherently treacherous Awolowo and Akintola together. Both characters, without iota of doubt, were tribal champions. They indulged in treachery and bigotry expose that could have consumed their lives but one was lucky to escape the drag net and lived to play another day.
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Dede1(m): 2:54pm On Jan 28, 2012
T9ksy:

Bonehead deal? wasn't that the same "bonehead" deal ojukwu had with Banjo? Except this time, the yorubas didn't fall for it hence your deep rooted animosity towards the yorubas.

Shut up!!!! What do you know about the deal between Ojukwu and Banjo that prompted you to label it bonehead?
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by Akolawole(m): 6:06pm On Jan 28, 2012
@Dayo

Boy! When did you launch this?  Please shoot me an email anytime topics of first, 2nd and 3rd republic crops up. I love those days.

Can i suggest something? Can you ammend the title to '' Samuel Ladoke Akintola: Hero or Villian '' and request it to be on home page.

This will attract so much people to the thread and to Nairaland.

1) Are you from ogbomosho?

This is a very controversial topic in yoruba history.  Both Awolowo and Akintola made mistakes at that time. I am an Awoist, my father was an action grouper(a position holder in that 'group' at that time). My pregnant mother was nearly killed in 1966 during that problem but over the years, i tried to listen to both sides and draw my own conclusion.

To have a balanced reasoning on the subject, it is ideal to listen to Chief Omololu Olunloyo(SLA group) and Chief Ebenezer Babatope (OA group).
Re: Samuel Ladoke Akintola by tunnytox(m): 6:14pm On Jan 28, 2012
Akolawole:

@Dayo

Boy! When did you launch this?  Please shoot me an email anytime topics of first, 2nd and 3rd republic crops up. I love those days.

Can i suggest something? Can you ammend the title to '' Samuel Ladoke Akintola: Hero or Villian '' and request it to be on home page.

This will attract so much people to the thread and to Nairaland.

1) Are you from ogbomosho?

This is a very controversial topic in yoruba history.  Both Awolowo and Akintola made mistakes at that time. I am an Awoist, my father was an action grouper(a position holder in that 'group' at that time). My pregnant mother was nearly killed in 1966 during that problem but over the years, i tried to listen to both sides and draw my own conclusion.

To have a balanced reasoning on the subject, it is ideal to listen to Chief Omololu Olunloyo(SLA group) and Chief Ebenezer Babatope (OA group).

How can i get hold of the interview/books with these people?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Dr Philip Emeagwali: Outlining The 25 Discovery Of Nigeria Greatest Scientist / Olusegun Mimiko Visits Fayose In Ekiti State (Photos) / Marginalization Of Igbos, Self-inflicted -Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.