Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,100 members, 7,835,707 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? (52324 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 09, 2018
codemaniacs:

you're still sleeping, when you truly wake up your eyes will be enlightened.
you are the one in the dreamland, you think they lay blames abroad?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by sirhamilton(m): 10:22pm On Dec 09, 2018
Delivar:

When I say EDUCATED MINDSET I don't mean going to school and acquiring degrees. I mean having a modern understanding of life and how we should live together to create advanced societies. For instance, in Nigeria our mindset have been configured to accept poverty, bad roads, erratic power supply and massive corruption as normal way of life. In societies having a modern mindset the citizens wouldn't tolerate all that for one second. There will be an eruption.

100%

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 09, 2018
mayze:

Compare likes with likes oga. U guys talk with conversion rate at the back of ur mind.r they spending naira over dia or we r spending dollars here.
conversion rate...I am comparing lives to you..conversion rate...you think everything is about dollars and cents ...okay....i dont calculate what I make here in Naira for it will only get me disgusted at how messed up the nation i love is

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 10:23pm On Dec 09, 2018
bluefilm:

Wise and true words.

Truth is, a small candle light is enough to light up a very dark room.

I believe you got what I'm trying to say?

The Chinese system is what we need in Nigeria

it's not perfect, but it WILL WORK

Nigerians are largely uncivilized animals and to correct that, you need FORCE....

IRON HAND!

You mess up in China, you will be messed up thoroughly

You mess uo in Nigeria, you beg or bribe your way out of it undecided

So you see, we need iron fist to correct us by force

One party state for say 20 years with progressives from across the country (tribe should not realky matter) forcing us to do the right thing

A lot of things will be fixed that way

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by naunasabi: 10:23pm On Dec 09, 2018
sirhamilton:

The more I read your comments the easier you make it for me to decipher how ignorant you are of life outside Nigeria.
What makes you think every Nigerian in Europe and America etc does a factory job.

My brother no mind those people. I have the feelings that someone like the op will ship is family to Canada. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by mayze: 10:25pm On Dec 09, 2018
milehigh06:

issue is ...how do you get a GOOD job...you dont need a good job in the united states to have a decent living,you just need a legal job..that is it while you could work in banks and still be poor in Nigeria and dont tell me its not so for i worked at GTb and know a lot of my colleagues then who left their GTB jobs and are doing exceptionally well outside the shores of the country with reasonable jobs and comfortable lives
I understand ur point perfectly..my point is I won't encourage anyone with a goodifferent job to join just that bandwagon of traveling,when u r fine here.not everyone over dia is successful..they r only struggling and trying to make ends meet.but I know a typical Nigerian ll say I ll rather struggle over dia than live a comfortable life here
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 09, 2018
mayze:

u guys r just contradicting urselves.the point is if I have a stable paying job in Nigeria.why should I resign and go for factory jobs over dia all in the name of I am abroad.u guys should use ur sense and stop converting dollar to nairn. How many people r really living the life they wanted over dia...they over work their ass** just to make ends meet

yo..get this through your head,...not all nigerians work in factories..maybe the people you know ...do...but not all....

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 09, 2018
mayze:

I understand ur point perfectly..my point is I won't encourage anyone with a goodifferent job to join just that bandwagon of traveling,when u r fine here.not everyone over dia is successful..they r only struggling and trying to make ends meet.but I know a typical Nigerian ll say I ll rather struggle over dia than live a comfortable life here

of course...why would I have a comfortable job and leave that for any country,that is your personal decision.....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 09, 2018
hector:

May God almighty punish u severely. You are a wicked soul

LOL i just dey laugh.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by roomus(m): 10:31pm On Dec 09, 2018
The solution to this problem is simple

1. 1 naira = 1 dollar or pound...

The one's abroad will rush back ...( Ghana anyone??)..
2. Constant power supply
3. Changing all tertiary institutions to trade school/ business schools (all we need for nw is how to produce or sell)
4. compulsory military service for all 18yr olds ( educated it not) scrap NYSC
5. Compulsory farming for all citizens a week every two months..(jail time for defaulters)
6. Concentrating on other mineral resources ( not just crude oil)
7. New official language ( combining Hausa Ibo Yoruba) taught from kindagarten upwards
8. Federal police, state police, community police
9. Official dresscode to work should be traditional attires
10. Referendum every 31st December to assess performance of leaders..low scores leads to compulsory resignation...
11. Every state must produce and export something..

Naija go better,only if we solve basic problems... these are the ones I could think of..

Then, to answer OP... people must travel for greener pastures..it started from Adam..infact in naija, people travel from state to state just to make it..it's normal, the only problem is that we travel,make it,leave the problems behind without bringing back solutions

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 09, 2018
Spygadgets19:
You will work..Yes!! But not everyone wants to be rich. For instance, Americans are not rich. Some of them are just within the middle-class and live a comfortable life, while in Nigeria u have all the money, but cannot get basic amenities which can make life comfortable.

but that is what they tell themselves when they see the reality of life abroad. many americans are poor

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41930107

41 million people of the US population are living in poverty
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by bluefilm: 10:39pm On Dec 09, 2018
Ugosample:

The Chinese system is what we need in Nigeria

it's not perfect, but it WILL WORK

Nigerians are largely uncivilized animals and to correct that, you need FORCE....

IRON HAND!

You mess up in China, you will be messed up thoroughly

You mess uo in Nigeria, you beg or bribe your way out of it undecided

So you see, we need iron fist to correct us by force

One party state for say 20 years with progressives from across the country (tribe should not realky matter) forcing us to do the right thing

A lot of things will be fixed that way

You are so right.

Nigerians need to be "forced" to act right.

Left on their own to do whatever they feel is right, they will definitely destroy the country in a heartbeat with their corrupt mindset and extremely disgusting mentality before they jump on the next available flight to jand.

I swear.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Mizwisdom(f): 10:40pm On Dec 09, 2018
NONNYG:
During my NYSC in Nigeria I was earning 19,800 monthly, with that I feed myself, pay for accommodation, transportation to PPA, flex smallgrin etc; but after my NYSC I moved to Dubai and I’m earning above what I earned in a whole year just in one month, with free accommodation, free food, free transportation to workplace, free medical, 24 hours uninterrupted power supply etc.

U wan make I come back to Nigeria abi? Unless if I’m offered a job in oil company

Please don't come back, remain there but I have a question, why haven't you moved on?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 09, 2018
Spygadgets19:
Those who are comfortable are the rich. Pls note that Materialism is not the same as basic amenities. These are mandatory and is a must. For instance, in a medical centre I know, when your going for antenatal check up, you need to go with your own hand gloves and cotton wool. For God sake, why can't the hospital make provision for that? Now is that materialism..Ask yourself??

Not only the rich are comfortable, there are many confortable nigerians who are not rich

but in developed countries, many things are not free, i know for instance in the US if you dont have health insurance, you are done for.

not all society are perfect but my observation is that Nigeria are obsessed with the free loans even though it comes with high interest, the credit cards and mortgages, i wonder if they are not creating the debt trap for them and their children.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by sirhamilton(m): 10:44pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:

Not only the rich are comfortable, there are many confortable nigerians who are not rich

but in developed countries, many things are not free, i know for instance in the US if you dont have health insurance, you are done for.

not all society are perfect but my observation is that Nigeria are obsessed with the free loans even though it comes with high interest, the credit cards and mortgages, i wonder if they are not creating the debt trap for them and their children.

Wrong!
Where do you guys get this information from sef?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 09, 2018
milehigh06:

was just gonna read through and just laugh at ignorant comments but to state that AA is the reason most Nigerians have good jobs speaks highly of you and your failures...I work a top 35 company in the world in management and i know a few Nigerians in great positions wiht same company and other companies and none of them got their jobs based on AA actions..Simply cos you failed does not mean that others live that way...p/s 1st of my family to leave Nigeria and at no point in time did I partake in washing of toilets and stuff to make it,no yahoo yahoo or 419,no killing of innocent kids...just plain hardwork...lazy people like you fail and then look at everyone else making it in life as having cheated..work harder

another trash talking. another assumption.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by bluefilm: 10:44pm On Dec 09, 2018
milehigh06:

so why are nigerians running and killing themselves over Buhari and Atiku...2 men that have looted this country to death but laugh at Sowore when he declared his intention....the chance of lighting a candle in dark nigeria is very minute when even the youths are busy voting their futures away to 2 72 year old men who wont be around to see most of these young men turn 30

Are you kidneying me?

Haven't you heard that the average Nigerian has an IQ that is below 90.

In summary, that is euphemism for saying that lots and lots of Nigerians are just dullards.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:

poor quality of life is not only a nigerian problem.

Police harrasment, public shooting, tribalism, brutal violence, poverty is real in developed countries too

should i say we complain a lot instead of solving our issues

Police Harassment ?? Maybe in the USA but definitely not here in the UK, Tribalism no but racism yes (but far lesser than the level of tribalism in Nigeria), Violence No, except you are into Cult or gangster shit.

In summary, leaving Nigeria is one of the best decisions ever made lol

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by ShugaFly(m): 10:46pm On Dec 09, 2018
All na By Grace!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by mayze: 10:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
sirhamilton:

The more I read your comments the easier you make it for me to decipher how ignorant you are of life outside Nigeria.
What makes you think every Nigerian in Europe and America etc does a factory job.

Try and get my point.most Nigerians leave a good job and settle for less over dia ,work extra hours and the money is just to sustain emselves(while some people I know r doing perfectly well dia).traveling out doesn't mean u r better off than people here...people should plan before travelling..it's not that smooth over dia too.if u doing fine here,take ur time and go on vacation there.an average Nigerian from the comments have been seeing think u r successful once u r out of here and start converting dollar they r making there to naira we r spending here.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 10:51pm On Dec 09, 2018
bluefilm:

You are so right.

Nigerians need to be "forced" to act right.

Left on their own to do whatever they feel is right, they will definitely destroy the country in a heartbeat with their corrupt mindset and extremely disgusting mentality before they jump on the next available flight to jand.

I swear.

you see my point
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by sirhamilton(m): 10:55pm On Dec 09, 2018
mayze:

Try and get my point.most Nigerians leave a good job and settle for less over dia ,work extra hours and the money is just to sustain emselves(while some people I know r doing perfectly well dia).traveling out doesn't mean u r better off than people here...people should plan before travelling..it's not that smooth over dia too.if u doing fine here,take ur time and go on vacation there.an average Nigerian from the comments have been seeing think u r successful once u r out of here and start converting dollar they r making there to naira we r spending here.

One thing we fail to realize is success doesn't happen overnight.
Living In the United States doesn't make you rich. I know poor American citizens.
To me, the difference between these two countries is that hard work pays better in the US.
Anyone in US will tell you same thing.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Mizwisdom(f): 10:56pm On Dec 09, 2018
OP, many pips have slave mentality here another problem is laziness

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by sweetilicious(f): 10:57pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:

The thing is this many of them came through construction projects financed by the chinese govt,they dont plan to live with us, after their contracts they go back home. Many of them are not immigrant like many of us but labourers employed by the chinese govt.during their short stay in our country,they tend to have understand our market,make cash and move on.

THe other chinese that remains in nigeria become FDI. THey build big businesses that employs hundreds of nigerians.

nigerians abroad are not FDI rather economy immigrant.
I want to leave.I use to have this mindset.I need a working system where opportunities will abound for my future children.I want to leave Nigeria but to come back with possibilities.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by havilla(f): 11:13pm On Dec 09, 2018
I can’t live abroad for one simple reason, the western world truly depresses me I don’t know why, it just feels like am not meant to be there after a short period of time embarassed good luck to all those relocating.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by IBvoss(m): 11:13pm On Dec 09, 2018
ApexTitan:

This is an old and tired argument here on NL.

It is Nigerians without proper documentation that are the bulk of those doing "odd jobs" overseas. Many people in Nigeria get the wrong impression of what life is overseas then travel out illegally only to get stuck doing menial jobs forever. That said, there are those who travel abroad legally, sometimes for schooling, and end up working in high profile occupations.

People who keep making the claim that it is only menial jobs that Nigerians do overseas are saying so because they only know those who are here illegally.

Come to think about it, I encourage those who are overseas to tell everyone else that they are only working menial jobs. That way they'll have an excuse not to send money when the request is made cool cool

There's a good difference between immigrants and foreign visitors. Immigrants travel with the aim of permanent settlement or at least, a stay much longer than that permitted by an immigration service. Foreign visitors are students, tourists and working individuals, who all possess the required visas and permits.

Those who travel out with the aim of migrating, are typically deemed as 'suffering Nigerians who work brown collar jobs'. That is simply the plain truth.
Those who migrate either illegally, or legally through some lottery, protection services, and others are condemned to the lowest stratum of the society they migrate to. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar! Of course, they are always exceptions to every rule but those exceptions are very rare and occupying a minimal percentage of these sets of migrants.

Leaving home is not always the best option. As they say, there's no better place than home. Even though individuals may have good reasons for migrating, I don't agree that it's the best choice. Nigeria as a developing nation with immense future prospects is a land filled with opportunity if you know where, and how to look.

Those who eventually migrate, are always at the lowest of the low, stuck working brown collar jobs. Even if you have some form of professional qualification, do you really think that employers would choose you and your qualification from a backwater location (as they view it) over their homebred citizens? (Incredibly outstanding qualifications are an exception to this.)

Although there are some who manage to find a better place in that society after tremendous effort and/or bountiful luck, it would always remain the truth that they are outcasts. They have no heritage there, no history and ultimately, there would be no belonging.

Even though some of the immigrants migrate because of the chaotic atmosphere in Nigeria and its seemingly bleak future; wanting a better environment for their future generations, it's not so easy to be indoctrinated into a foreign society. Your history as an immigrant will forever be a mark that limits you and allows for easy segregation in many areas of that society, especially when it comes to political positions.

Now, mentioning those select immigrants who end up successful, a fact often overlooked is that those few successful migrants would have probably been as successful or likely even more successful if they stayed in their native country and put in the same amount of effort that made them successful in that foreign country. They would find it much less difficult in their native country than it was in a foreign country.

I also see that the Chinese are being mentioned in this thread, but has any of you ever met a Chinese individual who told you he/she is here because they love the Nigerian country and seek to be a Nigerian citizen?
The Chinese are only here to take advantage of the opportunities in Nigeria, the same opportunities these migrating individuals are throwing away, in search of 'greener pastures'.

It's actually quite the reverse if you look at it like this: The Chinese leave their highly developed native lands, which have minimal opportunities for grasps and high levels of competition, to a developing third world country like Nigeria, which has abundant opportunities for them to exploit.

Yet, the natives of this country overflowing with opportunities, are so eager to leave their country in search of an illusive 'greener pasture' which is in reality, a foreign land filled with minimal opportunities and an intense level of competition among its own indigenous citizens, not to mention foreign immigrants.

And lastly, there are those set of toxic migrants who are mostly the bearers of the bad reputation that precedes migration and overseas travel in Nigeria.

These individuals are mostly illegal immigrants and their reason for migrating to a foreign land is all money-oriented, with the poor economy of Nigeria playing a big role. Due to bad situation of the Nigerian economy and the ever decreasing value of its currency, these set of individuals all have the ridiculous thought of migrating to a foreign country for the sole sake of that country's currency and its value. They believe that, if they can find a job (no matter what it is or how low it is) in a foreign country and save enough of an amount, they can return to their native land and retire in immense wealth and splendour, after converting the little amount they earned into the increasingly worthless currency of their native land.

Their now acquired wealth, in turn, motivates other individuals lamenting the perceived poor state of the country, and their miserable lives and pockets, to migrate to a foreign land where they are despised and treated as the lowest of the low. Losing their pride, dignity and potential, all for a dollar!
A mind-boggling fact is that these particular migrants positions in their native country were not as bad, relative to their lowly positions in the foreign country.

There are even some that are doing outstandingly well in their native land but still amazingly choose to migrate into a society where they are degraded and despised by the locals. The actions of these people bring about a negative reputation of their country as a whole, and make it difficult for legal visitors to procure a visa.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 09, 2018
so why are those chinese u speak to not remaining in their own country .why are they tropping to africa as well.anyone is free to travel to any country he or she wants to travel to as long as its not illegal migration.its not a must u must stay chained and locked up in ur hamlet or village.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by yemi15(m): 11:23pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:
I have noticed that many Nigerians think they can only make it abroad, even though,we are blessed with a large market,what is stopping nigerians from seeing opportunities in their own country?

I have spoken to many chinese( age 20 to 30) they all seems to have very low education, some of them do not have degrees like us but they are making it big time in nigeria, even a north korea man i met in an exhibition in lagos is doing great here in nigeria.

But nigerians are trooping out of their country like nothing works in nigeria.

I wonder where these "opportunities" you talk about actually is? I get you want to be patriotic but sorry to bust it on here, Nigeria does not care about you except you are a politician or elite with his family. Are you in that group? That might explain the funny patriotism.

People go abroad because that is where things work, you earn a living and you survive. Simple. You are not at the mercy of government. You make your life over there. I sure would prefer that option even you too.

My 2 cents.

PS As for this country getting better any time soon, that is impossible. Our people are too clouded by religious and tribal sentiments (just look at the zombies on nairaland) to make the right choice for this country anytime soon. So even if you are an agent of change, you are in the minority. Sad, but it is reality.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Dec 09, 2018
Mizwisdom:
OP, many pips have slave mentality here another problem is laziness
but u work for every.dollar or euro u earn over there so why would a lazy.person want to travel
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by winj3: 11:31pm On Dec 09, 2018
Because they are exposed to commonsense abroad!

180 million people, 99% lack commonsense - why stay there?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Dec 09, 2018
yemi15:

I wonder where these "opportunities" you talk about actually is? I get you want to be patriotic but sorry to bust it on here, Nigeria does not care about you except you are a politician or elite with his family. Are you in that group? That might explain the funny patriotism.

People go abroad because that is where things work, you earn a living and you survive. Simple. You are not at the mercy of government. You make your life over there. I sure would prefer that option even you too.

My 2 cents.

PS As for this country getting better any time soon, that is impossible. Our people are too clouded by religious and tribal sentiments (just look at the zombies on nairaland) to make the right choice for this country anytime soon. So even if you are an agent of change, you are in the minority. Sad, but it is reality.
the country will get even worse.if this country was working will ppl be migrating.no electricity,no security,bad roads and someone is saying it is saying it is slavery mentality that is making ppl to travel.if the facilities are in place in this country then migration will go down.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Mizwisdom(f): 11:35pm On Dec 09, 2018
yemi15:

My 2 cents.

Omg, how old are you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply)

The World's Most Powerful Passports. / 23,000ft, World's Highest Dinner Party Held On Mountain Everest(Photos) / GEJ Trekker, OladeleNihi Involved In Accident (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.