Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,017 members, 7,835,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? (52317 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by bujebudanu1(m): 9:54pm On Dec 09, 2018
milehigh06:

if a house is the definition of success to you,i rest my case...
get it straight through your skulls....Nigerians do not leave Nigeria for money,they leave for a better life and an opportunity to slave out themselves so they can take care of leaches like you in Nigeria who runs to banks every time to collect money from their relatives abroad...was in Nigeria about 2 years ago and wow...the most minute basic necessities are not present and you wonder why people leave...My brother had 2 generators and some batteries which he used to power his home at night and that was in lekki,nice lil neighborhood with very expensive homes...messed up roads,non stop blaring of generators......

Lol.my bro.if u come to Abuja wen there's no light u go hate urself.

Where I stay .there's one mikano each for every house.
One minute after after lights out.theres noise everywhere.they don't even send your feelings

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Elliot2(m): 9:58pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:

you sometimes make me wanna puck

i guess in ur small brain. YOu think people dont make it in nigeria. YOU are outdated.

I have seen nigerian sharing papers in the winter, i have seen 10 nigerians sleeping in a tight room all in that your so called abroad. The nigeria that you see as hell. I see it as heaven a place to make good cash.you are short sighted,maybe that is why you cant see the big picture.
nigeria can only be a heaven to those who are too dishonest to say the truth that she is a hell. Whoever says nigeria is a good place to make it is an evil soul.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 09, 2018
Delivar:

If you think the way out is by running away then Nigeria will never get developed. Selfishness is part of what is killing us in Nigeria. Whenever the average Nigerian gets an education he begins to feel too big to live in Nigeria. He starts to have this feeling of self-righteousness believing he is a good person while the rest of Nigerians are bad that he can't live with them. Then the next thing on his mind is running away from Nigeria.

The ROOT problem in Nigeria is lack of education. Majority of the citizens have an uneducated mindset. If 70% of Nigerians have an educated mindset many of these problems will go away and we will always elect and have the best rulers governing us. These Nigerians who run away from Nigeria are also part of the problem because if they had stayed back it would help sustain an increase in the number of educated and enlightened citizens which is the foundation of development. As folks like you get an education and keep running away how much educated workforce will be left in Nigeria to lead the nation to advancement? Those countries you are running to fixed their own countries so why can't we fix ours? If every Nigerian has a chance to emigrate to a foreign country don't you think they will also destroy the country with the same uneducated mindset they have?

its is not about education..nigerians are some of the most ardent readers on planet earth hence why you have Nigerians in high intellectual positions...The Average nigerian mind is corrupt due to the sufferings they have gone through at the hands of past and present leaders..if given the chance,Nigerians will make things happen and that is why they are doing good in multiple countries..the ones involved in crimes are the lazy ones who are stuck on the easy ways of getting money....Nigerians seek the easy way out due to too many years of suffering which some do not want to go through most especially after seeing their parents go through the same rubbish years ago

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by sirhamilton(m): 10:01pm On Dec 09, 2018
Delivar:

If you think the way out is by running away then Nigeria will never get developed. Selfishness is part of what is killing us in Nigeria. Whenever the average Nigerian gets an education he begins to feel too big to live in Nigeria. He starts to have this feeling of self-righteousness believing he is a good person while the rest of Nigerians are bad that he can't live with them. Then the next thing on his mind is running away from Nigeria.

The ROOT problem in Nigeria is lack of education. Majority of the citizens have an uneducated mindset. If 70% of Nigerians have an educated mindset many of these problems will go away and we will always elect and have the best rulers governing us. These Nigerians who run away from Nigeria are also part of the problem because if they had stayed back it would help sustain an increase in the number of educated and enlightened citizens which is the foundation of development. As folks like you get an education and keep running away how much educated workforce will be left in Nigeria to lead the nation to advancement? Those countries you are running to fixed their own countries so why can't we fix ours? If every Nigerian has a chance to emigrate to a foreign country don't you think they will also destroy the country with the same uneducated mindset they have?

*If you could "RUN AWAY" as you choose to put it, you'd never type this.
* Kindly elaborate more of on what you mean by the term "EDUCATED MINDSET"
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 09, 2018
chigoizie7:

lol. yes, purpose comes before money, ask a young nigerian child what they want to be when they grow up and you will see sincerity in their answers, however, they remain persistent on what they want until they write jamb and they couldn't be admitted because they don't know any one or have money to bribe their way, they u will see focus and purpose change.

The few that got admitted, graduated but couldn't secure a job because they are not connected will immediately change the purpose .

na person wey 1st chop de think other things.

Every focus now lands on making money, because here in naija once u have enough money , u can get anything done.

even the ones that didn't go to formal education, has their dreams shattered because there is no support anywhere.

if I know whit assurance that once I am done school that I am going to be gainfully employed no matter the course I read. that my researches will always be funded . why wont I be calm and focused on my purposes?

I work in on of the financial institutions in naija, Nnewi precisely is where my branch is located, Nnewi is also a town where the teaching hospital is located, I interact with people because of my job. most of these medical/ nursing students are not here because of the passion for the job but because they are employable anywhere with high pay. that is what naija environment has made them to understand.

here u read medicine because u can or because u r intelligent not because u have passion for humanity
all because u wouldn't want to die of hunger.

in USA, u read medicine because of the humanity reasons or some reasons that is not entirely about the money.

in USA , u read fine and applied arts because of the passion for that.

here in NAIJA u only read fine and applied arts because that is the only department that can offer you an admission and everyone is ok with it, why? because what matters is that once u graduate, u can work in a bank even when u read hausa language provided you are well connected.

the system here is so messed up. it Is not that we dont know about purposes in life, but we cant do them on empty stomachs.

here, there is nothing like building a career. it is all about surviving first.

the only set of people that came close to having careers are teachers/lecturerers , but what kind of career would that be when a professor in mechanical engineering doesn't know what to do his car when it develops a fault or a professor in electrical engineering calls an apprentice electrician to come change bulbs in his house?

Nigerians are just [b]looking for countries that can give them what Nigeria cant give them. Nigerians do better in a saner clime[/b]s than in Nigeria.
@ first bolded, nothing can change your purpose except you. Who says it will be easy? You are changing purpose because it’s hard, if it’s soft will you pursue the purpose. Understand what purpose is and then quote me. @ second bolded, you are contradicting your posts seriously. Naija made them believe? That’s the ignorance I am talking about. Nigerians believe anything. Tell them money go on trees in US, they are there already. People are reading medicine because they want to get good pay abroad, did they tell you they pay and employ quack doctors abroad. Again, many don’t have plans and know what they are doing. @ last bolded, there is nothing wrong with looking for where it will be better but do it with a plan and legitimately. I have attempted immigrating before and had it planned out and I waited for the right opportunity so it was going to be legit. Don’t just pack your bags and say Na abroad. You go reach there see for your eyes say abroad hard pass naija. You have to work hard to earn hard. There is no free meal anywhere. The only difference is naija doesn’t have the right structure.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Babysho(m): 10:03pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:
I have noticed that many Nigerians think they can only make it abroad, even though,we are blessed with a large market,what is stopping nigerians from seeing opportunities in their own country?

I have spoken to many chinese( age 20 to 30) they all seems to have very low education, some of them do not have degrees like us but they are making it big time in nigeria, even a north korea man i met in an exhibition in lagos is doing great here in nigeria.

But nigerians are trooping out of their country like nothing works in nigeria.

Then further your questions to Mexicans. Why they think they can only make it in the US even though they are blessed with a large market. It's obviously an issue of standard of living. You can be rich in Nigeria and still have issues like armed robbers, beggars queuing at your door step, hot sun, epileptic power supply, bad roads, seeing women shitting in the middle of the road, madmen and women having sex in the streets. It's not a matter of opportunity/success, it's a matter of standard of living. People don't troop out of Ghana or SA not really because of their economy but because of standard of living. The government understands that cutting of breast, cutting of your gf and stuffing her in Ghana must go, shitting on a bridge very early in the morning, seating four a row in a small bus to transport humans for hours by road is Barbaric, Inhuman, Archaic, Unsafe and An Insult on the human race. Therefore, I'd rather be a struggling human who uses public transport in US than to be a wealthy black animal in Lagos who struggles to board a public transport cos the route to my work is too bad that I can't use my car and screams owa! Inorder to alight from the ratchet bus of misery. Those Lagos buses just shows the condition of Nigeria. No side mirrors, no brake light, no horn, wired to start, four a row on that small, full iron seat(no foam), no seatbelt, has been that way since 1973. Jaga Jaga country. So what do you think?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by mayze: 10:05pm On Dec 09, 2018
sweetmelanin:

I know that's what your jealous soul wishes but that will Never happen okay smiley Nigeria will forever remain in a perpetual state of rot.
Those who can leave should do so now before its too late.
Me jealous..poverty mentality..if u av a very good job in Nigeria, u won't be craving for crumbs over dia.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 09, 2018
justwise:

Doing dishing in Nigeria does not pay but doing the same dishing in the UK,US, Canada pays because they have labour laws that work.

Chinese comes to Nigeria to do things that pays just like Nigerians travel abroad to do those jobs that pays better than in Nigeria
for how long will people keep running to do dishes? Are you planning for your generations to come do dishes abroad too? There is dignity in labour but we should differentiate between progress and underdevelopment. For how long are we going to be consumers of products from the West and we go there tp do menial jobs. It is getting harder by the day to secure visas being a Nigerian. The question I want to ask you is FOR HOW LONG? Where was Dubai in 1980 or Singapore in 1950. How many of them advised their fellow country men to go do dishes in the US. Enough of this poo abeg and btw, doing dishes in Nigeria pays, there are people doing that are content and have developed themselves by doing it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Delivar(m): 10:08pm On Dec 09, 2018
milehigh06:

.. FEW Nigerians are some of the most ardent readers on planet earth hence why you have FEW Nigerians in high intellectual positions...The Average nigerian mind is corrupt due to AN UNENLIGHTENED MINDSET. if given the chance FEW Nigerians will make things happen and that is why they are doing good in multiple countries..the ones involved in crimes are the lazy ones who are stuck on the easy ways of getting money.
Take note of the corrections I made in your comment above.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 09, 2018
mayze:

Me jealous..poverty mentality..if u av a very good job in Nigeria, u won't be craving for crumbs over dia.

issue is ...how do you get a GOOD job...you dont need a good job in the united states to have a decent living,you just need a legal job..that is it while you could work in banks and still be poor in Nigeria and dont tell me its not so for i worked at GTb and know a lot of my colleagues then who left their GTB jobs and are doing exceptionally well outside the shores of the country with reasonable jobs and comfortable lives

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by mayze: 10:10pm On Dec 09, 2018
milehigh06:

if a house is the definition of success to you,i rest my case...
get it straight through your skulls....Nigerians do not leave Nigeria for money,they leave for a better life and an opportunity to slave out themselves so they can take care of leaches like you in Nigeria who runs to banks every time to collect money from their relatives abroad...was in Nigeria about 2 years ago and wow...the most minute basic necessities are not present and you wonder why people leave...My brother had 2 generators and some batteries which he used to power his home at night and that was in lekki,nice lil neighborhood with very expensive homes...messed up roads,non stop blaring of generators......
u guys r just contradicting urselves.the point is if I have a stable paying job in Nigeria.why should I resign and go for factory jobs over dia all in the name of I am abroad.u guys should use ur sense and stop converting dollar to nairn. How many people r really living the life they wanted over dia...they over work their ass** just to make ends meet
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by codemaniacs: 10:11pm On Dec 09, 2018
zz

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 09, 2018
mayze:

They r still not getting your point.don't mind em.how many of em r really successful over dia.they can buy a brand new car with the money they make,can't buy a house,they can only send the money down here.if dollar to naira conversion changes to 1naira to a dollar..what ll be their fate.
I naira to 1 dollar. Bros you know it will never happen. If that happens, Nigeria don good be that. All men go come back.

The bitter truth is nigeria is not a functioning country.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 09, 2018
hector:

God bless u
Amen, u too
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by mayze: 10:12pm On Dec 09, 2018
naunasabi:

Bros are those things you typed up the definition of success to you? Have you ever considered that being successful means different thing to different people and painting it with a single stroke is a sign of faulty reasoning?
So traveling out and taking nice pictures is defined as success abI. Traveling out of the country doesn't guaranty u ll make it over dia..if u ain't doing a white collar job over dia u r not better in any way

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Dec 09, 2018
hector:

God bless u
Amen, u too
Babysho:

Then further your questions to Mexicans. Why they think they can only make it in the US even though they are blessed with a large market. It's obviously an issue of standard of living. You can be rich in Nigeria and still have issues like armed robbers, beggars queuing at your door step, hot sun, epileptic power supply, bad roads, seeing women shitting in the middle of the road, madmen and women having sex in the streets. It's not a matter of opportunity/success, it's a matter of standard of living. People don't troop out of Ghana or SA not really because of their economy but because of standard of living. The government understands that cutting of breast, cutting of your gf and stuffing her in Ghana must go, shitting on a bridge very early in the morning, seating four a row in a small bus to transport humans for hours by road is Barbaric, Inhuman, Archaic, Unsafe and An Insult on the human race.

Are there not beggars in the US, homelessness is high in europe and america

but there are many Nigerians living in Nigeria who havent experience armed robbery or other insecurities.

so because of our hot sun, that is why they have to run abroad, so why are arabs not rushing in masses to the US

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 09, 2018
Delivar:

Take note of the corrections I made in your comment above.

will stop the discussion at this point before it goes any further...dont need you assuming whatn i mean..WTF
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Dec 09, 2018
codemaniacs:

it wasn't you I quoted...

for your question...

the answer is yes the europeans are responsible for the government failing to do the right things, I have said this on NL before, when any African country has a president that's doing the right things that president is ousted..

If the politicians don't steal and stash in banks abroad how will their banks stay afloat why don't the europeans reject the billions from African presidents

If european countries had the resources Africa has their currencies would be so strong that no other country will be able to match them...
silly post from a child obviously. This is a public forum and I can quote any post. You are blaming a white man, isn’t this stupidity. You are blaming a white man for the corruption in your country. Is it a white man that is making the cases of rituals increase by the day? If a white man doesn’t see folly in you, will he exploit you? Or you think the white men don’t know how to differentiate between individuals. Why hasn’t the white man ousted likes of Kagame in Rwanda. The point is many of you don’t use your heads that is why a politician can call you guys vagabonds and you will go to the polling booth to vote them in abi is it the Europeans that will make you vote someone who has labeled you vagabond. Silly thought. Get out of your sordid mentality, take responsibility and stop the blame laying

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Dec 09, 2018
mayze:

So traveling out and taking nice pictures is defined as success abI. Traveling out of the country doesn't guaranty u ll make it over dia..if u ain't doing a white collar job over dia u r not better in any way

shows your level of knowledge
P/S there are jobs that are labor based that make much more than your so called white collar jobs

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 09, 2018
codemaniacs:

the problem is most African countries can't have good leadership especially from their politicians because those politicians are not chosen by them.

only church or mosque G.O's, indigenous billionaires, community donations can help.

Nigeria cannot advance collectively. right now there's a war in the NE, do u feel the war?

some places in Nigeria are advanced while majority are not advanced.
Don't mind them. South West doesn't want South east areas to be developed. And you say Nigeria is a country?

How many of these people talking against immigration, live in the their states and villages?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by mayze: 10:16pm On Dec 09, 2018
sirhamilton:

You have no idea... I actually round down to USD500
Yea! You may want to talk about bills and cost of living.
But the question is.
* Do I still have to buy gas for a power generator after paying my light bill?
*How many times a month do I have to pay for data for my cell phone and other devices? Once
*Do I spend money on fixing my car cos it got bad due to bad roads?
* I could go for 2years without spending a cent on insecticides... How much does an average Nigerian spend on malaria drugs and insecticides in one year.

You want me to continue?
Do I have to work 16 hours to make ends meet in Nigeria..u guys won't consider all that..once they send nice clean pictures to u..u conclude they r living their lives.I have so many friends that left that end came back to Nigeria and t working with big firms making cool cash in Nigeria. They travel over dia just for vacation now

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 09, 2018
mogbojaiye:

Story, ,,,tell us say na student visa u apply for

so what is wrong if once you finish studying you come back home without over staying your student visa and becoming an illegal immigrant.

must every body who study abroad stay or live there forever?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by bluefilm: 10:17pm On Dec 09, 2018
Ugosample:

oga

most Nigerians are dead wood economically and mentally

There is a small pool of millennial Nigerians trying to help out in the country

But they are being stifled by the larger society of dead weight useless citizens

I'll tell you the honest truth

Except a progressive group in the form of say the Chinese communist party seizes power, suspends democratic elections and uses an iron fist to mould this country, put most crimes at the penalty of death and force development, Nigeria will remain a $hithole because most of its citizens are just a little above animals

selling their votes to the highest bidder and voting out of ethnic and religious sentiment

How can the democracy work in this system

my earlier proposition of force is the only thing that can save that $hithole country

Wise and true words.

Truth is, a small candle light is enough to light up a very dark room.

I believe you got what I'm trying to say?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Delivar(m): 10:18pm On Dec 09, 2018
sirhamilton:

*If you could "RUN AWAY" as you choose to put it, you'd never type this.
* Kindly elaborate more of on what you mean by the term "EDUCATED MINDSET"
When I say EDUCATED MINDSET I don't mean going to school and acquiring degrees. I mean having a modern understanding of life and how we should live together to create advanced societies. For instance, in Nigeria our mindset have been configured to accept poverty, bad roads, erratic power supply and massive corruption as normal way of life. In societies having a modern mindset the citizens wouldn't tolerate all that for one second. There will be an eruption.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:

Are there not beggars in the US, homelessness is high in europe and america

but there are many Nigerians living in Nigeria who havent experience armed robbery or other insecurities.

so because of our hot sun, that is why they have to run abroad, so why are arabs not rushing in masses to the US
Bros, enjoy living in Nigeria. It is your decision. You didn't consult them when you lived abroad, allow them to find out the mess there.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by codemaniacs: 10:19pm On Dec 09, 2018
zz
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 09, 2018
thebosstrevor:
I have noticed that many Nigerians think they can only make it abroad, even though,we are blessed with a large market,what is stopping nigerians from seeing opportunities in their own country?

I have spoken to many chinese( age 20 to 30) they all seems to have very low education, some of them do not have degrees like us but they are making it big time in nigeria, even a north korea man i met in an exhibition in lagos is doing great here in nigeria.

But nigerians are trooping out of their country like nothing works in nigeria.

What's the significance of staying back

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by mayze: 10:19pm On Dec 09, 2018
milehigh06:

shows your level of knowledge
P/S there are jobs that are labor based that make much more than your so called white collar jobs

Compare likes with likes oga. U guys talk with conversion rate at the back of ur mind.r they spending naira over dia or we r spending dollars here.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 09, 2018
bluefilm:

Wise and true words.

so why are nigerians running and killing themselves over Buhari and Atiku...2 men that have looted this country to death but laugh at Sowore when he declared his intention....the chance of lighting a candle in dark nigeria is very minute when even the youths are busy voting their futures away to 2 72 year old men who wont be around to see most of these young men turn 30

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by sirhamilton(m): 10:21pm On Dec 09, 2018
mayze:

u guys r just contradicting urselves.the point is if I have a stable paying job in Nigeria.why should I resign and go for factory jobs over dia all in the name of I am abroad.u guys should use ur sense and stop converting dollar to nairn. How many people r really living the life they wanted over dia...they over work their ass** just to make ends meet

The more I read your comments the easier you make it for me to decipher how ignorant you are of life outside Nigeria.
What makes you think every Nigerian in Europe and America etc does a factory job.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 09, 2018
bluefilm:

Wise and true words.

There is no candle, no tunnel let alone light at its end.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply)

The World's Most Powerful Passports. / 23,000ft, World's Highest Dinner Party Held On Mountain Everest(Photos) / GEJ Trekker, OladeleNihi Involved In Accident (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.