Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,259 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! (22339 Views)

FG To Unveil Beneficiaries Of Halliburton Bribe / Buhari To Unveil Anti-corruption Strategy / Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by wales(m): 6:15am On Aug 02, 2010
Nigeria is expected to make history on October 1, when its caterers build and unveil the world’s largest cake. The 65,000kg cake, will be unveiled at the National Stadium, Abuja, is expected to beat the current Guinness World Records.

By midnight, October 1, a select group of Nigerian caterers and bakers will begin work on a 65ton cake. By noon, the fruit cake, decorated in green and white colours will be unveiled by President Goodluck Jonathan. Mr. Jonathan will cut the 6ft high cake and Nigerians will have the opportunity to have a share of the ‘national cake’ literally.

The cake, which will be 100ft long and 6ft high, will require the services of at least 2000 persons, and is expected to beat the records of the current world’s largest cake, a 58ton cake which was baked in 1989.

One meal one nation

The organiser of the World’s largest cake project, Victor Oluwafemi, says he has tagged the project, ‘one meal one nation’, in line with the philosophy behind the project.

“The project is a private endeavour which myself and my team thought of. We wanted to do something significant for the 50th anniversary project. We wanted something that would give every Nigerian an opportunity to partake in the celebrations. We knew that the average Nigerian would not have the opportunity to eat the cake that will be presented in the villa,” Mr. Oluwafemi said to NEXT in Abuja.

Mr. Oluwafemi’s team of three spoke enthusiastically of the measures that they are taking to ensure that the cake gets to as many Nigerians as possible. First, every state in the country will receive one ton of the cake and the small team also expects that every tribe in the country will be represented in the Abuja Stadium on October 1, and will have the opportunity to have a bite of the cake.

“This project is supposed to turn the national cake that we always talk about to reality. It will give Nigerians an actual cake to feed on,” Paul Sambo, the team’s head of Strategic business said.

Likening the project to the national pride that comes from winning a football match, the team says that the project was designed to boost the emotions of Nigerians despite the current national challenges.

“This project does not gainsay the fact that the nation has problems up till today. But we need inspiration in order to move forward as a nation. This project was designed with a leadership bias, a leader inspires his people no matter what and that is what we hope to do,” Joseph Yakwo, the third member and the operations officer of the project said.

Making the records book

If the team’s cake must to enter the Guinness World Records, Mr. Oluwafemi and his team will have to start and finish the cake within 24 hours; the team plans to do so in 8.

“We are going to bake the cake in about 8 hours. The cake is going to be baked, cooled and iced on the same day,” Mr. Yakwo said.

The team says that it has been in touch with the officials of the Guinness World Records and that a Guinness adjudicator will arrive from New York to inspect the project from start to finish.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5601512-147/nigeria_to_unveil_worlds_largest_cake.csp

Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by EzeUche22(m): 6:21am On Aug 02, 2010
Will that be used to feed the hungry in Nigeria?

What a waste of money though. It shows that African politicians do not know what to do with money. Build some houses for the poor, feed the poor, invest in infrastructure etc. That would be a nice present for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by Ikengawo: 6:53am On Aug 02, 2010
god your such a loser.

"feed the hungry"

did you feed the hungry with YOUR birthday cakes? lol.
can nairaland people just be happy with life and let it be sometimes? your country is turning 50 and wants to have a big cake, so what?

next someone will bring up electricity. wow.
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by Acidosis(m): 7:26am On Aug 02, 2010
EzeUche22:

What a waste of money though. It shows that African politicians do not know what to do with money. Build some houses for the poor, feed the poor, invest in infrastructure etc. That would be a nice present for Nigeria.
please, just read what you wrote again, then you'll see how senseless it is.
Mention one country without poor citizens and I'll suggest a ban for myself.
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by philip0906(m): 7:48am On Aug 02, 2010
^^
Let me help u.But make sure u keep 2 ur promise and suggest a ban 4 urself.
Brunei has no poverty http://english.pravda.ru/world/asia/02-11-2009/110246-brunei-0
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by martyns303(m): 8:01am On Aug 02, 2010
EzeUche22:

whats wrong with baking a cake? Moreover its a private organization thats baking it not government's money. at least when next am watching guiness world record i'll have sumtin 2 look out for. We just gats to learn 2 lay down our burden and be happy.
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by philip0906(m): 8:11am On Aug 02, 2010
^^
yeah happy indeed. . .when we chop cake finish,blow trumpet and sing natonal anthem finish,hear d tory wey dem go give say dem don achieve in 50years,everybody go go house on generator. . .problem still remain
Suffering and smilling grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by coalcoal1(m): 8:47am On Aug 02, 2010
I will be in Abuja
grin grin grin grin
to eat part of the national cake ,
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by jamace(m): 8:57am On Aug 02, 2010
Chei, wallahi, mo gbe ooo! I must be in Abuja to chop my one and only national cake on October 1. cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by na2day(m): 8:59am On Aug 02, 2010
IS IT NOT THE THE SHARING OF NATIONAL CAKE MENTALITY THAT LED US DOWN THIS ROUTE?
@ 50yrs anniversary, the baking of such cake is a reaffirmation that the mentality of nigerians will neva change & i can assure u guys dat until we change this "everyone tryin to get a pieces of d national cake" while hardwork and diligence is consigned to the background, 60yrs anniversary will be celebrated in another civil war!
i wish someone will sneak ARSENIC into d ingredients, no be politicians go steal d useless cake again?make dem chop am and die!
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by phemmy88(m): 9:20am On Aug 02, 2010
See this idiot "make them chop am and die" oh, it's u again, u that ur brain is located under ur feet, i could see!

Either u like it or not the cake is gonna b backed and people will eat and be happy!
Bt for u, u ain't save 'cos that day someone might poison ur gari!
Oloshi
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 02, 2010
johnathan 'marie antoinete ' goodluck - " the poor are hungry and there are no jobs - no problem - let them eat cake " tongue
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by na2day(m): 10:35am On Aug 02, 2010
@phlegm or whatever ur name is, its people like u who lov awuf, i dey pity, very soon ur longthroat will soon send u 6feet under where u belong. I.D.I.O.T.A!
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by DrKnow1(m): 10:50am On Aug 02, 2010
Alaaru to nje buredi; awo ori e lo nje ti o mo grin
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by na2day(m): 11:06am On Aug 02, 2010
@ Dr. know, no mind them jare!
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by isimili: 11:55am On Aug 02, 2010
Lord please heal us. My people are hungry and angry.

Naturally i only celebrate birthdays in years when i think that i have made significant success of my life and feel that this should be the same for my poor country.
However looking back at our journey one can easily wonder what we have to celebrate and any such person will be more than justified to ask that question.

I am in two minds about the celebration. One we should sit down together on that day and refelect on the past 11 years and make commitments to move on from them to greater glory and responsibilities or two do not celebrate at all and simply continue with the changes Jonathan plans to make for a better Nigeria.

whatever happens i remain a great lover of my country and hope that more young people will rise up, kick out the delusional oldies and turn Nigeria into what it really ought to be. There is no point snipping at ourselves on this forum. The answer is standing up to be counted and that's what we should start doing so that the next 50 years will be celebrated in great style by our children and those of us who may be lucky to be still here then. i love you all my people and i mean it.
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by kufreabasi(m): 11:58am On Aug 02, 2010
World largest cake for what?
who eats and who remains?
will it solves Nigerian's problems?

God have your way.
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by violent(m): 11:59am On Aug 02, 2010
Clowns!. . . No one is thinking straight. . .we are about to celebrate 50 years of stagnancy, poorly constructed roads, as well as consistent and neglected civil unrest, but guess what?. . .we'd be making the biggest cake in the world to celebrate such feat!
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by mrkoma2012: 12:02pm On Aug 02, 2010
As long as govt funds are not used in this jamboree ve got no issues with it, but if its in use then its another clear case of misplaced priorities
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by seasonedmom: 12:07pm On Aug 02, 2010
I am still wondering who foots the bill of the 65 tonne cake at the end of the day. Who approved the contract? whose opinion was consulted? is it the choice of the masses?
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by oluite(f): 12:15pm On Aug 02, 2010
achieve ur dream of d world's largest cake while leaving ur world largest problems(electricity,education,water,crime n endless problems) unsolved!
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by BluMalam(m): 12:28pm On Aug 02, 2010
You guys need a chill pill. The cake is symbolic. At least you know u hav a taste of N6.6 billion in your mouth grin. At least it will also get us positive international attention
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by oladayo042: 12:41pm On Aug 02, 2010
World largest cake my foot. grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 02, 2010
up johnny!!!!

see as they are opening up employment opportunities for some 200 people

this is how we belive we are going to do it. . .

http://www.lasvegas2005.org/news/scrapbook/cake/

We had our cake, and we ate it too!

What's a Centennial Birthday party without cake? Whatever the answer, no one in Las Vegas wanted to risk it.

So during the early hours of the morning on May 15, 2005, eight semi-trucks from North Carolina drove into the loading zone at Cashman Center hauling 30,000 half-sheet cakes and nearly 40,000 pounds of frosting. Volunteers were already gathering nearby to start the process of unloading, unpacking, stacking, and ultimately frosting.

Over the next 14 hours, more than 1,000 volunteers built a whopping 130,000-pound pastry from ingredients donated by Sara Lee. They worked under the direction of Sara Lee Executive Chef Brian Averna and the watchful eye of Sara Lee Foods President John Flood.

Las Vegas' birthday cake is registered in the Guinness Book of World Records replacing a record set in Fort Wayne, Ala. The Vegas cake outweighed the Alabama confection by 128,360 pounds.

In order to qualify for a Guinness record, the world's largest cake must:
• contain traditional ingredients in the correct proportions;
• be prepared in the same manner as a normal-sized cake;
• be prepared according to appropriate hygiene standards;
• be totally edible and safe to eat.
And while the final product is built from separately baked sheet cakes, they must be iced all over so that no joint can be seen, and so that the cake looks like a scaled-up version of a normal-sized cake.
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by Ranoscky(m): 12:52pm On Aug 02, 2010
Quote from martyns: "Moreover its a private organization thats baking it not government's money."

^
No b Gorvernment money abi? undecided k!

After d celebration of d national cake, Later, u'll hear how much was spent on it!
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 02, 2010
shey our govt no go bothch this attempt at wasting money the same way they have botched everything else?

see as we are dragging with sin city

[img]http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20061009-Worlds_Largest_Birthday_Cake[/img]

[img]http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20061009-Worlds_Largest_Birthday_Cake[/img]

get your share of the national cake!!1

apparently the cake is going to be distributed to every state
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by matiltomd(f): 12:59pm On Aug 02, 2010
Please how much did Johnny budget for this cake? That's my own headache cos i intend going into baking pretty soon, cheesy
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by Acidosis(m): 1:04pm On Aug 02, 2010
80% of the comments here are dumb & senseless.
50th anniversary deserves even more. Poor electricity but you're here surfing nairaland, no food but  you ate something this morning. Well am not surprised 'cos most Nigerians are addicted to complains, while some are allergic to celebrations.
Let someone mention 2 countries without problems, and I'll leave nairaland with an immediate effect!
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by EzeUche22(m): 1:07pm On Aug 02, 2010
Acidosis:

80% of the comments here are dumb & senseless.
50th anniversary deserves even more. Poor electricity but you're here surfing nairaland, no food but  you ate something this morning. Well am not surprised 'cos most Nigerians are addicted to complains, while some are allergic to celebrations.
Let someone mention 2 countries without problems, and I'll live nairaland with an immediate effect!

You are a fool. There is nothing to celebrate. Nigeria is not progressing and you want to celebrate. Only a fool would support such a senseless celebration. Nigerians have every right to complain while you want to celebrate nonsense. People like you make me really sick. You want people to be happy for misery. God I cannot understand some delusional Nigerians who celebrate dystopia.

And the only people who will be celebrating will be Nigerians living in the Diaspora since many have the good life and can afford to celebrate and Nigerians who are part of those circles that like to chop chop chop.

We are not talking about other countries, we are talking about Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by Ibomade1: 1:16pm On Aug 02, 2010
wales:

Nigerians will have the opportunity to have a share of the ‘national cake’ literally.

What else can one say   lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by collins123(m): 1:20pm On Aug 02, 2010
Na who go con chop the cake?

All Nigerians ni?
Re: Nigeria To Unveil World’s Largest Cake ! by debosky(m): 1:28pm On Aug 02, 2010
If it's a private attempt, then there is no issue with it - no one should dictate how an individual chooses to spend his money.

Y'all need to lighten up.

PS - does anyone know how I can sign up to receive a portion of the cake? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NAF Commences Advanced Forensic, Crime Scene Investigation Course In Lagos / Hundreds Flee Homes As ISWAP Overpowers Army In Borno Town - Daily Trust / Chidi Lloyd Detained By Police In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.