Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,281 members, 7,836,248 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask (5962 Views)

Who Are You To Command Me? -- Nnamdi Kanu Questions Nigerian DSS / Nigerian Journalists Are Afraid Of Asking Tinubu,Atiku And Obi Serious Questions / Senate Confirms Kuru, Hasan As AMCON, NDIC MDs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by Racoon(m): 4:59pm On Dec 15, 2018
15 December 2018
Nigerian journalists should watch Al Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan and always do so with pen and paper ready for note-taking.

Hasan was at his best again on the Upfront programme titled: “Who will be Nigeria’s next president?”, and trying to hold Nigerian politicians to account – something Nigerian chequebook journalists consistently fail to do.

This time, Hasan had within his crosshairs Festus Keyamo, the spokesman for President Muhammadu Buhari, who is seeking reelection, and Buhari’s main challenger Atiku Abubakar’s spokesman Segun Sowunmi. Hasan spared neither man from scrutiny.

Watch the programme below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bye1gLBTwNw

The inquisitioner went straight for the jugular, asking Keyamo about Buhari’s statement as a candidate that no official should have medical treatment abroad at public expense.As president, Buhari has since spent several months abroad on medical leave.Hasan asked whether he was not “hypocritical”

Keyamo tried to put the blame on previous administrations running down the healthcare system. He seemed to have forgotten that Buhari has been in power now for nearly four years and still hasn’t revamped Nigerian hospitals.

Hasan, in typical combative mode, was having none of Keyamo’s excuses. He asked the spokesman what “secret illness” the president had.Keyamo refused to disclose.Hasan said the public had a right to know in a democracy especially as they were funding the treatment.

Next in the line of fire was Atiku via his spokesman Sowunmi, who was asked about “questions marks” over his boss on corruption.These included about $40m worth of transfers to the US.Sowunmi robustly defended his man, shouting on a few occasions.

Hasan moved on to Buhari’s claims of defeating Boko Haram and Keyamo kept saying the terrorists had been weakened.And Hasan reminded him that the president’s New Year message claiming victory was clearly not true.

The questioner also raised human rights violations by the Nigerian army, including shooting Shia civilians, as highlighted by groups such as Amnesty International.

All Keyamo could say in response was that he believed the military’s denials.He was not forthcoming on bringing perpetrators to book.Sowunmi replied that an Atiku government will demonstrate that every Nigerian life mattered and will investigate the killings “asking serious questions”.

Hasan questioned why two men in their 70s were still tussling for the leadership of the country and both men came up with similar answers about experience, the challenges requiring somebody that could unite and so on.

Buhari is a retired general and a former military dictator.His bungling rule since 2015 has shown that his experience doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. Scottish journalist Hugh McIlvanney once wrote: “No one respects experience more than I do, but experience is relevant only in relation to the intelligence exposed to the experience. If you send a turnip around the world it still comes back a turnip – not an expert in geography.”

https://www.naijiant.com/videos/al-jazeeras-mehdi-hasan-asks-the-questions-nigerian-journalists-fail-to-ask/

3 Likes

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by CilicMarin: 5:03pm On Dec 15, 2018
Biased Reportage. ... therefore FAKE NEWS...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by JasonScoolari: 5:05pm On Dec 15, 2018
CilicMarin:
Yeah, the news is fake just like baba WAEC certificate,
The news is fake just like the video of Ganduje saving $5mil in his agbada account.

The news is fake just like the 5k promised to unemployed graduate

The news is fake just like the school feeding programme promised by baba himself

The news is fake just like the $1 to N1 magic

The news is fake just like the @APC United Kingdom telling baba to hide inside Aisha underwear to escape from the debate.

Mtchewww

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by Racoon(m): 5:06pm On Dec 15, 2018
Festus Keyamo have really perfected the art of professional lying.Imagine this man saying:
-1)."PDP destroyed Nigeria's healthcare system hence Buhari couldn't seek healthcare in the country."

Meanwhile he doesn't have an answer on why his oga have been going to a London hospital for a long time seeking healthcare for an undisclosed illness even @ taxpayers money after being in charge for about four years now or why are Nigerian teaching hospitals still mere consulting clinics. angry

Was the previous govt also responsible for the deplorable state of the Aso Rock Villa Clinic despite the #3B budgeted for it when Buhari's own wife/daughter complained that it have no common syringle or functional XR machine? What about the treatment of his son-Yusuf outside while many Nigerians can't even afford essential drugs to treat minor ailments?

-2)."The people of the NE are rejoicing.They're happy and praying for the president" undecided
This must be an insult on the countless families that have lost loved ones, some maimed, some still grieving (esp.families of soldiers that died in the Metele, Jili and other affects areas of BH, fulanis, cattle rustlers & "unknown gunmen" attacks) or some having PTSD from the destructive acts of BH in that region.

This is also an insult on the Shehu of Borno, HOR member who both denounced the Buhari's govt claim of BH activities being degraded in Maiduguri particularly.

They also acknowledged that some LGAs are under BH control in Borno State contrary to insinuations by the Nigerian Army and government.

"...The claim by the Buhari administration that normalcy has been restored to the north east of the country is a “lie”, the chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Humanitarian Affairs, Sani Mohammed, has said...."

“Part of our assignment would have been to travel to Chibok. Chibok is a no-go area. Only three days earlier, they raided a village where the Chief of Army staff comes from, killed people and went back unchallenged..."

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/299848-nigerian-govt-lying-about-boko-haram-defeat-terrorists-controlling-territories-apc-reps.html

In fact but sadly the world must be laughing @ Keyamo for the outright falsification of the truth.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by Racoon(m): 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2018
CilicMarin:
May your redemption come faster.May you accept reality as when due.See as your comrades are avoiding the threat like a plague.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by whatmoreng: 5:16pm On Dec 15, 2018
CilicMarin:
I heard that your zombiness is legendary.... I have gotten confirmations today.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by sunnymix: 5:23pm On Dec 15, 2018
zombies won't like this...

2 Likes

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by daddytime(m): 5:29pm On Dec 15, 2018
Hmmm

Mehdi and his Upfront is the real hot-seat. He spares no one's blushes...

Professional guy.

6 Likes

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by dokie: 5:36pm On Dec 15, 2018
This guy makes channels TV journalists look like I.T students. See the quality of questions.

Keyamo sounding like a motor park tout. Spewing falsehood up and down the whole place. Wasnt it last week that someone in Bornu state was saying about 17 LGAs were still under Boko Haram control, yet Keyamo talk say dem dey rejoice for North East.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by Stalwert: 5:42pm On Dec 15, 2018
CilicMarin:

Gbam pathetically biased reportage.

Hassan Medhi: How do you expect Nigerians to take Atiku serious since he changes party?

Segun: Atiku is a veteran politician bla bla bla

Hassan Medhi: Is Atiku being over 70 going to reveal his medical records?

Segun: not until Buhari reveals his own.

Many more hard hitting questions like about Atiku wiring $44M to the US that was poorly replied to by Segun.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by FarahAideed: 5:55pm On Dec 15, 2018
I can't wait to see festus Keyamo locked up and the keys thrown away ...Very irritating thing

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by MoonWater: 6:56pm On Dec 15, 2018
Undiluted fact

1 Like

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by jerryunit48: 7:19pm On Dec 15, 2018
I really love the way the guy grilled them both, but again PDP won and Festus is a disgrace

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by persius555(m): 7:40pm On Dec 15, 2018
Medhi Hassan is a brute when it comes to political grilling. Sowunmi and Keyamo probably thought the interview would be beans.

That guy knows his job.

3 Likes

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by otipoju(m): 7:54pm On Dec 15, 2018
Festus Keyamo is just no match for Showumi. Keyamo is a product of quota system. Showunmi is way smarter than him and actually believes in his candidate (or appears to be). But i swear if them pay me good money to defend Buhari ( and if my conscience was dead), I would do a better job than Keyamo.

Some questions can be better handled by admitting the simple truth, telling half truths, using your imagination and humour to make light of a serious situation. In attack mode you poison the well, use red herrings, destroy the credibility of your opponent while appearing to praise him.

But the only weapon in the APC arsenal is lies. Big lies, small lies, white lies and blatant lies...foolish set of people.
...........................................................................................
FOR EXAMPLE
.........................................................................................
Buharis sickness could be defended by this story line :

Yes Buhari made that statement and he really meant it. Nevertheless when he made that statement he was not sick but as life happens to anyone, he fell sick and when he noticed some symptoms like any reasonable person, the first thing he did was to go to a Nigerian hospital.

After about 3 months of running various tests the cause of the illness could not be diagnosed.But the Doctors kept saying it might be related to after effects of exposure to harmful chemicals during his military service to the country in his youth. They recommended that he goes to a particular hospital in London.

Buhari vehemently refused ,citing his earlier promise to Nigerians and his desire to lead by example. When the symptoms worsened and after much pressure from family, friends , party leaders and even one or two opposition party governors he accepted in the interest of the greater good.

Their argument was that he had the vision , charisma and will power to fight corruption so as to lay a solid foundation for the return to greatness of the country. They said the country cannot afford to loose him or else the vandals and yam eaters will take over. Moreover only a living person can lead Nigeria to greatness.

So in the interest of the country and patriotism, Buhari agreed to go for test and treatment in three phases.

1. Diagnose and contain the spread of the illness.
2. Treat an destroy it completely.
3. Recuperate and rejuvenate to youthful vigor

And even the blind can see that the treatment has worked to the extent that people are saying " this cannot be Buhari but Jibrin " because to the glory of God he is now looking fresher, healthier and even moves like a 50 year old man.

Therefore after experiencing first hand what a good healthcare system is, Buhari strongly believes that all Nigerians deserve first class health care services.

Therefore Buhari has decided to make Health Care Services a priority by:

1. Waiving and removing import duties for any Hospitals or Clinic bringing in medical equipment from abroad...just buy from manufacturer and ship thats all.

2. Full scholarship plus stipends for any young Nigerian below the age of 25 who wants to study in any medical field in the " Catch Them Young" initiative.

With this sort of defense, you have diffused a negative situation and turned it into a positive campaign weapon for APC

..but na lie , APC spokespeople and their BMC crew on social media have no strategy except to lie, blame PDP and insult people.
............................................................................................
As for me, I have an active conscience and can never support mediocrity, incompetence and wickedness.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by Stalwert: 7:59pm On Dec 15, 2018
[s]
FarahAideed:
I can't wait to see festus Keyamo locked up and the keys thrown away ...Very irritating thing
[/s]

democracy is at risk activist will jail you once you disagree with them

3 Likes

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by e7ejinima: 8:06pm On Dec 15, 2018
CilicMarin:

Which aspect exactly is biased and Fake?

So even Sahara Reporters saying it as it is Fake? I give up

3 Likes

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by rengsho: 8:08pm On Dec 15, 2018
CilicMarin:

It's not fake. . It's true he asked that question yesterday.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by Oldiesgoodies(f): 9:07pm On Dec 15, 2018
Fire brand Questions!!
The PDP spokesman beat that of the APC hands down.

3 Likes

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by Ayobami7(m): 12:43am On Dec 16, 2018
年越南足球经历
Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by wayne4loan: 12:52am On Dec 16, 2018
Did he ask about jubrin from Sudan cheesy

1 Like

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by TMKsouth: 5:01am On Dec 16, 2018
Watched the original screening on TV & was shocked by the lack of accountability by that particular govt representative.

Most shocking answer was regarding the President's health. He was pressed hard to reveal what is/was ailing the Pres. & his best shot was something like... he's never asked the President. shocked

So, like when the President of any credible country disappears from public view & returns to duty months later, the first thing (I would imagine) a competent & professional communications team would ask themselves is: "WHAT DO WE TELL THE MEDIA?"

A year or two later they still can't give a coherent answer to this question (judging by last night's blunder on Al-Jazeera)??

It was very clear to me as a foreign viewer that the guy was blatantly lying. That would have been front page news in my country.

Hope u guys are outraged too. That was pathetic.

In SA we were told what was ailing President Mandela (even during his term in office) as well as with the poisoning of Jacob Zuma by one of his wives. And the sun still rose the following day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ewn.co.za/2015/08/16/Zuma-poisoning-saga-First-lady-breaks-her-silence/amp

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by TMKsouth: 5:26am On Dec 16, 2018
persius555:
Medhi Hassan is a brute when it comes to political grilling. Sowunmi and Keyamo probably thought the interview would be beans.

That guy knows his job.

I give most kudos to the producers who did the research & provided him with the info pack and questions. They are the unsung heroes.

I doubt he's that clued up on African politics judging by the bias towards middle-eastern & western issues on that particular show. That's his speciality.

He was just firing prepared questions. I can give praise for his execution though (the posture) - sharp. fiery & authoritative.

1 Like

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by seunmsg(m): 6:10am On Dec 16, 2018
Instead of promoting this very biased report of the actual interview, handlers of the PDP candidate should encourage him to sit down for a one on one interview with Medhi Hassan. Buhari as the main opposition candidate going into the 2015 election was interviewed twice by Amanpour and once by Medhi Hassan - he gave a good account of himself on both occasions. Atiku should also do same.
Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by helinues: 6:21am On Dec 16, 2018
Honestly both Buhari and Atiku have nothing to offer but it is just a pity one of them will win for sure.

Leaders of tomorrow are busy playing with sand

1 Like

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by allthingsgood: 6:26am On Dec 16, 2018
helinues:
Honestly both Buhari and Atiku have nothing to offer but it is just a pity one of them will win for sure.

Leaders of tomorrow are busy playing with sand

The so called leaders of tomorrow are even worse. The average Nigerian youth is greedy, selfish and only focussed on get rich quick!

1 Like

Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by helinues: 6:28am On Dec 16, 2018
allthingsgood:

The so called leaders of tomorrow are even worse. The average Nigerian youth is greedy, selfish and only focussed on get rich quick!

Our educational systems do not help the Nigerian youth situation. How about our teachers, lecturers, tutors. Everything, I mean everything is wrong about Nigeria
Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by allthingsgood: 6:33am On Dec 16, 2018
helinues:

Our educational systems do not help the Nigerian youth situation. How about our teachers, lecturers, tutors. Everything, I mean everything is wrong about Nigeria

Its not even a matter of education. Today's nigerian is born with zero morals, no conscience, no sense of right or wrong. We all have d same problem, whether young or old. Infact d elders appear to even be better. Youngest governor is bello of kogi state. Kogi is also the worst place to be in Nigeria!
Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by helinues: 6:38am On Dec 16, 2018
allthingsgood:

Its not even a matter of education. Today's nigerian is born with zero morals, no conscience, no sense of right or wrong. We all have d same problem, whether young or old. Infact d elders appear to even be better. Youngest governor is bello of kogi state. Kogi is also the worst place to be in Nigeria!

Me I don't even think we have any sense remain in that country. We see so many bad things as normal and even proud of it. If you see how some Nigerians behave outside the country, you will never claimed to be a Nigeria. Bankole was the first youth to disappoint biggerly. The most annoying part about we Nigerians, we can lie for the whole world even on something that is not necessary
Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by banquetking: 6:56am On Dec 16, 2018
This is impressive, fact be told
otipoju:
Festus Keyamo is just no match for Showumi. Keyamo is a product of quota system. Showunmi is way smarter than him and actually believes in his candidate (or appears to be). But i swear if them pay me good money to defend Buhari ( and if my conscience was dead), I would do a better job than Keyamo.

Some questions can be better handled by admitting the simple truth, telling half truths, using your imagination and humour to make light of a serious situation. In attack mode you poison the well, use red herrings, destroy the credibility of your opponent while appearing to praise him.

But the only weapon in the APC arsenal is lies. Big lies, small lies, white lies and blatant lies...foolish set of people.
...........................................................................................
FOR EXAMPLE
.........................................................................................
Buharis sickness could be defended by this story line :

Yes Buhari made that statement and he really meant it. Nevertheless when he made that statement he was not sick but as life happens to anyone, he fell sick and when he noticed some symptoms like any reasonable person, the first thing he did was to go to a Nigerian hospital.

After about 3 months of running various tests the cause of the illness could not be diagnosed.But the Doctors kept saying it might be related to after effects of exposure to harmful chemicals during his military service to the country in his youth. They recommended that he goes to a particular hospital in London.

Buhari vehemently refused ,citing his earlier promise to Nigerians and his desire to lead by example. When the symptoms worsened and after much pressure from family, friends , party leaders and even one or two opposition party governors he accepted in the interest of the greater good.

Their argument was that he had the vision , charisma and will power to fight corruption so as to lay a solid foundation for the return to greatness of the country. They said the country cannot afford to loose him or else the vandals and yam eaters will take over. Moreover only a living person can lead Nigeria to greatness.

So in the interest of the country and patriotism, Buhari agreed to go for test and treatment in three phases.

1. Diagnose and contain the spread of the illness.
2. Treat an destroy it completely.
3. Recuperate and rejuvenate to youthful vigor

And even the blind can see that the treatment has worked to the extent that people are saying " this cannot be Buhari but Jibrin " because to the glory of God he is now looking fresher, healthier and even moves like a 50 year old man.

Therefore after experiencing first hand what a good healthcare system is, Buhari strongly believes that all Nigerians deserve first class health care services.

Therefore Buhari has decided to make Health Care Services a priority by:

1. Waiving and removing import duties for any Hospitals or Clinic bringing in medical equipment from abroad...just buy from manufacturer and ship thats all.

2. Full scholarship plus stipends for any young Nigerian below the age of 25 who wants to study in any medical field in the " Catch Them Young" initiative.

With this sort of defense, you have diffused a negative situation and turned it into a positive campaign weapon for APC

..but na lie , APC spokespeople and their BMC crew on social media have no strategy except to lie, blame PDP and insult people.
............................................................................................
As for me, I have an active conscience and can never support mediocrity, incompetence and wickedness.
Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by Godsfavour78: 7:06am On Dec 16, 2018
allthingsgood:

its funny. Cos you self might be part of the problem. undecided
Re: Al-Jazeera’s Mehdi Hasan Asks The Questions Nigerian Journalists Fail To Ask by StevenOba: 7:26am On Dec 16, 2018
Buhari is clearly not fit to be president. And Atiku is a scammer just playing on peoples mind. These men don't have anything to give Nigeria but words. No promises ever made by a aspiring politician in Nigeria has ever been fulfilled when he gets to office. But somehow it's like we have all developed selective amnesia. Shouting "Atikulated" upandan. Una suffer just dey start yeye country with yeye people nobody seems to be asking the right questions angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alaba Lawson Was Respresentation Of Grace And Strenght - Bukola Olopade / Gas Supply Constraints May Worsen As NLNG Embarks On Plant Maintenance Feb 2024 / Nigeria On The Brink Of A Bloody Civil War - UK's Channel 4 Predicts - Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.