Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,116 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations (2993 Views)

Why Is Africa The Most Religious Continent Yet The Most Undeveloped??? / Top 10 Most Religious Countries In The World / If Muslim Nations Are World's Super Power? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by niceone3(m): 10:37pm On Aug 03, 2010
Hi peep, i do not mean 2 cause any fuss but am just wondering why it has 2be so instead of d other way round. Check out: Africa is the most religious continent but by far d poorest & backward continent in d world. North American and Europ are least religious yet they are the richest and most progressive. Other regions of d world also follow similar trends. Scenero like this, keep one wondering if religious believe could be linked to these oddities. I would want 2 objectively hear from u what u think about this
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by noetic16(m): 10:40pm On Aug 03, 2010
this is not true. . . is africa more religious than the USA? or even UAE, dubai?

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by nopuqeater: 11:39pm On Aug 03, 2010
I laugh at you noetic. 2 islamic nations, and only 1 pseudo christian country? Of course christianity is not the basis of America.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by niceone3(m): 12:49am On Aug 04, 2010
@ noetic pls am not trying 2 cause any kind of arguement on religious issues cos i believe in respecting peoples believe and values it just baffles me when i see what is not augth to be that is why i inquired. USA  is by far less religious than african  and UAE are more religious than most african countries just check out his polls this link http://www.gallup.com/poll/114211/Alabamians-Iranians-Common.aspx
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 2:22am On Aug 04, 2010
Sinners

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Jenwitemi(m): 8:46am On Aug 04, 2010
Because religious nations worship, praise, adore, celebrate and perpetuate HUMAN LIMITATIONS, thus damning themselves to everlasting poverty and backwardness. Atheist and secular nations suffer far less from this affliction because, contrary to religious nations, they celebrate, explore and exploit hidden human potentials, hence the abundance they enjoy.
nice.one:

Hi peep, i do not mean 2 cause any fuss but am just wondering why it has 2be so instead of d other way round. Check out: Africa is the most religious continent but by far d poorest & backward continent in d world. North American and Europ are least religious yet they are the richest and most progressive. Other regions of d world also follow similar trends. Scenero like this, keep one wondering if  religious believe could be linked to these oddities. I would want 2 objectively hear from u what u think about this 
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by mazaje(m): 9:04am On Aug 04, 2010
noetic16:

this is not true. . . is africa more religious than the USA? or even UAE, dubai?

Yes Africa is FAR more religious that the USA and the UAE. . . . .

Africans among world's most religious people, study finds

"In many countries across the continent, roughly nine in 10 people say religion is very important in their lives," the study found.
That puts even the least religious countries in the region ahead of the United States, which is among the most religious of advanced industrial countries, the study's authors wrote

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/04/15/africa.religion/index.html?hpt=Mid

Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 04, 2010
the reason is very simple: its easy to sell a dream and give hope to people who have absolutely nothing!
religion is the wealth of these lost souls in poor countries taking the preachers fables hook line and sinker
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Freiburger(m): 10:40am On Aug 04, 2010
It is the poverty of a thing that enable the religion of a thing to sell very well in these countries, as MRbrownJAY rightly. said.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Okijajuju1(m): 10:54am On Aug 04, 2010
Bookmark
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by noetic16(m): 11:46am On Aug 04, 2010
mazaje:

Yes Africa is FAR more religious that the USA and the UAE. . . . .

how religious is Africa? when did christianity or islam come into Africa?
The likes of USA and UK built their conventional national systems based on religious beliefs. Yet they are advanced and well developed.

The poll u showed is very faulty. is africa more religious than Saudi arabia? with all nationals as muslims and islam their biggest tourist attraction, which nation is more religious than them?. . None. Yet they are materially developed but intellectually backward.

Africa's problems is not caused by religion but by a lack of visionary leadership.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 11:55am On Aug 04, 2010
nopuqeater:

I laugh at you [b]noetic. [/b]2 islamic nations, and only 1 pseudo christian country? Of course christianity is not the basis of America.

hope u re not obsessed with noetic like olabowale is
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by VALIDATOR: 5:45pm On Aug 04, 2010
It is not religion itself that caused the widespread poverty in black africa,rather it is the role they allow religion to play in their day-to-day activities.They allow religion to rub them of their power of objectivity.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Jenwitemi(m): 7:48pm On Aug 04, 2010
And rob them of their power of creativity too.
VALIDATOR:

It is not religion itself that caused the widespread poverty in black africa,rather it is the role they allow religion to play in their day-to-day activities.They allow religion to rub them of their power of objectivity.
Religions like christianity and islam are quite good at telling their adherents what they are not, what they can never be and that they are never good enough.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Jenwitemi(m): 8:13pm On Aug 04, 2010
The Freemasons were responsible for building the US nation. Are you saying that they were christians? The founding fathers of USA were not christians, buddy, they were mostly deists freemasons. And they built that country along secular lines. Saying otherwise would only imply that the US is a theocracy which it is clearly not.
noetic16:

The likes of USA and UK built their conventional national systems based on religious beliefs. Yet they are advanced and well developed.

The saudis are as useless as a dead carcass when it comes to nation building. Without the western technological knowhow, they would've been living in tents and riding camels. These guys can't do jack for themselves, thanks to their islam and quran.
noetic16:

The poll u showed is very faulty. is africa more religious than Saudi arabia? with all nationals as muslims and islam their biggest tourist attraction, which nation is more religious than them?. . None. Yet they are materially developed but intellectually backward.

What has the highlighted got to do with anything?
noetic16:

A leadership that is convinced and overcome by it's own limitations will always lack vision. "Only God can resolve Africa's problem", they say. Limitations. . .
noetic16:

Africa's problems is not caused by religion but by a lack of visionary leadership.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 6:45am On Sep 22, 2013
Lol....funny how threads like these died easily before the advent of "you know who"....

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 22, 2013
Logicboy03: Lol....funny how threads like these died easily before the advent of "you know who"....
Lol! Stick to the topic jo, trouble maker.
OP, Africa was already more backward than those other nations before religion came to Africa ( I assume by religion you mean the imported ones, as our religion doesn't count anymore, sadly) so I guess you can't blame it on religion...
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 22, 2013
Bludeville:
Lol! Stick to the topic jo, trouble maker.
OP, Africa was already more backward than those other nations before religion came to Africa ( I assume by religion you mean the imported ones, as our religion doesn't count anymore, sadly) so I guess you can't blame it on religion...

Really? How backwards? Take for instance, the issue of slavery. The Europeans and Arabs that came were slave traders and the many of the West African societies had no concept of slavery.

Who is the barbarian. The one that minds his own business in his society or the other that comes to enslave and colonize?

Still, the African societies were religious.

You fail
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 22, 2013
Logicboy03:

Really? How backwards? Take for instance, the issue of slavery. The Europeans and Arabs that came were slave traders and the many of the West African societies had no concept of slavery.

Who is the barbarian. The one that minds his own business in his society or the other that comes to enslave and colonize?

Still, the African societies were religious.

You fail
Yeah, I guess I didn't think things through before posting,I'm afraid I cant find an argument to further support my previous statement...
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by sylve11: 10:02am On Sep 22, 2013
Logicboy03: Lol....funny how threads like these died easily before the advent of "you know who"....

dont let them catch u. grin cool
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 22, 2013
sylve11:

dont let them catch u. grin cool

grin grin grin
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Youngzedd(m): 11:55am On Sep 22, 2013
VALIDATOR: It is not religion itself that caused the widespread poverty in black africa,rather it is the role they allow religion to play in their day-to-day activities.They allow religion to rub them of their power of objectivity.

GBAM!

+1000
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by NativeBoy: 4:30am On Sep 24, 2013
Actually you will find that history does not support your argument that the most religious countries tend to be the poorest. You are looking at perhaps the last 100 years. Read up on the histories of Western Europe, the Arab nations and even earlier African civilizations of which ancient Greek writers remarked about their wealth and civility. When you look at the poor nations of the world today, notice that they all share the same experience of colonization. Not that colonization is the cause of all of it but it is a strong contributing factor. You will see that the Asian nations like China and Japan and the South American nations like Brazil and Argentina who are more developed threw off the shackles of colonization much earlier than the countries who are poorer today.

There is so much more to this question. I would recommend reading a book called “Guns, Germs, and Steel” as that also provides some further insight.

If religion plays a role in creating poorer societies, it is that members of those societies use it as a means to avoid taking responsibility for their own lives and believe that they are more faithful or pious because they “surrender” all to God. I am a believer and I go out every day with the intent to use every faculty the Lord has given me to create something, and I know that the Lord blesses and provides.
Many here on Nairaland seem to think that because the West is becoming more secular, we Africans better follow suit. This is the very thing that has caused Africa trouble. We are not ready to define our own future; we are content to copy and try to be like everyone else but ourselves. Again, when you look at the history of the West, it is undeniable that its success was due largely to the Judeo-Christian ethic.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 4:43am On Sep 24, 2013
NativeBoy: Actually you will find that history does not support your argument that the most religious countries tend to be the poorest. You are looking at perhaps the last 100 years. Read up on the histories of Western Europe, the Arab nations and even earlier African civilizations of which ancient Greek writers remarked about their wealth and civility. When you look at the poor nations of the world today, notice that they all share the same experience of colonization. Not that colonization is the cause of all of it but it is a strong contributing factor. You will see that the Asian nations like China and Japan and the South American nations like Brazil and Argentina who are more developed threw off the shackles of colonization much earlier than the countries who are poorer today.

There is so much more to this question. I would recommend reading a book called “Guns, Germs, and Steel” as that also provides some further insight.

If religion plays a role in creating poorer societies, it is that members of those societies use it as a means to avoid taking responsibility for their own lives and believe that they are more faithful or pious because they “surrender” all to God. I am a believer and I go out every day with the intent to use every faculty the Lord has given me to create something, and I know that the Lord blesses and provides.
Many here on Nairaland seem to think that because the West is becoming more secular, we Africans better follow suit. This is the very thing that has caused Africa trouble. We are not ready to define our own future; we are content to copy and try to be like everyone else but ourselves. Again, when you look at the history of the West, it is undeniable that its success was due largely to the Judeo-Christian ethic.

Get some sense. You are telling us to go back far back in the past to see how religious countries and civilizations were on top.

The question is why is it that religious countries are in the bottom today but in the distant past, they were at the top?

The answer is simple- religion ruled in the past when man was ignorant and there was little enlightenment. Thanks for proving the op point!

Religion preys on ignorance and also promotes it.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by NativeBoy: 8:04pm On Sep 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Get some sense. You are telling us to go back far back in the past to see how religious countries and civilizations were on top.

The question is why is it that religious countries are in the bottom today but in the distant past, they were at the top?

The answer is simple- religion ruled in the past when man was ignorant and there was little enlightenment. Thanks for proving the op point!

Religion preys on ignorance and also promotes it.
[quote author=Logicboy03]

I think you misunderstand my point. To put it simply, the prosperity that the western world enjoys today, did that spring up from a vacuum? No, if you look at history, Europe civilized and became prosperous under the influence of Christianity. Many of the great minds of those times and till present were believers and Europe was a religious society. They had their faith and also used their minds. It wasn't either-or.

The answer isn't as simple as you say. If you are stating that religion appeals more strongly to the poor than to the affluent, you would hardly find anyone disagreeing with you. Of course it does, it offers hope to those whose situation is desperate. But that isn't the issue. The issue is apathy, which is perhaps the most debilitating effect of poverty. In seeing no way out of their predicament, people cling to the only source of hope they have (their faith) and slowly stop using their faculties to try to make things happen or even when they do use their faculties, it is to prey on their neighbor. That is the real issue: How do you get people to still go out and try to make things happen using their God given faculties, instead of wallowing in apathy and using religion as an excuse to not take hold of their livelihood?
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by niceone3(m): 12:15am On Jun 08, 2016
nice smiley
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by Nobody: 6:51am On Jun 08, 2016
niceone3:
Hi peep, i do not mean 2 cause any fuss but am just wondering why it has 2be so instead of d other way round. Check out: Africa is the most religious continent but by far d poorest & backward continent in d world. North American and Europ are least religious yet they are the richest and most progressive. Other regions of d world also follow similar trends. Scenero like this, keep one wondering if religious believe could be linked to these oddities. I would want 2 objectively hear from u what u think about this

The West is neck deep into the occult. Their covert and sometimes very open war against Christianity should not be mistaken for absence of religion.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by otemanuduno: 11:18am On Jun 08, 2016
noetic16:

USA is not religious, Pls get ur facts right. When you say being religious, it means trying to use the spiritual things to solve physical problems with the neglect of reasoning. AMERICANS and UAE will not be going from churches to churches to seek cure for sicknesses and diseases. They'll go straight to the hospital, but naija, O naija! from one deliverance vigil to the other until they're almost medically dead. Then during the last hour they go to the hospital and die there.
Re: Why Is It That Most Religious Nations Are usually D Poorest & Backward Nations by delishpot: 11:26am On Jun 08, 2016
Because they do not truly love the God they claim to serve.

(1) (Reply)

Illuminati At It Again / Taking Alcohol - Is It A Sin? / A TRINITARIAN Should Explain This Scripture ....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.