Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Home Training: Does It Still Exist? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Home Training: Does It Still Exist? (8372 Views)

If Not HOME TRAINING What Bad Thing You Could Have Done / What Does It Mean For Babies To Be Looking Through Their Legs? / "What Africans Refer To As Home Training Is Emotional Abuse" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by hero2000: 10:39am On Dec 18, 2018
By Olusola Aladejebi

‘Mummy, don’t be silly’, the teenage boy told his mum. The Nigerian guest in their home gasped audibly. When she protested the kind of language, the boy’s mother explained the he didn’t really mean it that way; and that in UK it was considered normal. After witnessing that the Nigerian woman vowed never migrate to UK while her children were still young.

When I was growing up, you dared not ask if your elder ones were silly, let alone your mother! Even if you were high on drugs, there were some boundaries that were uncrossable. But these days, the lack of manners is settling down in our African society too. Many children are not taught to say thank you when given something. They don’t see the need to greet elders. They enter people’s houses without knocking. Children now don’t see it as any big deal to tell their parents if someone gifted them money. If they are offered drink as guest in another’s house, they presumptuously ask for their preferred drink rather than asking politely or even thankfully enjoying the offer nevertheless. Finally, they don’t know how to read mothers’ eyes. We were able to read almost a paragraph of instructions from those eyes! But maybe today’s mothers rarely send messages with their eyes anymore. Home training is fading.

Home training is the set of instructions children receive at home on basic politeness, courtesy, respect and good behaviour. For children (who will surely grow into adults) who are unfortunate not to receive this kind of training, no amount of schooling can adequately compensate for it.

In the past, (I am talking 30 years ago or earlier) instruction on home training was given by fathers and mothers and grandparents. Mothers didn’t work as much and as long. Some of them were teachers who closed by 2:30 pm. Even for those who ended work as late as 4pm there were relatives who resided with them and who filled in, to a large extent, adequately while the parents were away till late afternoon. Since these relatives themselves were raised in households where home training were a given, they could impart same to the children. But that was many years ago.

Today, both parents are out of the home early and come back when children are asleep and so ‘outsource’ their responsibility of guidance to the house helps. Businesses outsource non-core functions. They retain core functions. Banks can outsource their cleaning or parking/security. They won’t outsource customer management. That is core. Banks absolutely want to have under their control how customers’ problems are being resolved. A brewery can outsource procurement of grain. It won’t outsource the actual brewing. The quality of the final beer is core. For a family, instructing the children on home training is core.

Home training is actually what it is—training. Trainings are not always palatable. The trainer exerts himself. The trainees sometimes dislike the process. But nothing good ever comes easy. A child is born selfish, egoistic, foolish and without manners. Somebody has to train the child to know how to live in a social environment. If somehow he misses such instruction, he goes about carelessly (but unknowingly) behaving shamefully in relationship with others. This continues into his adulthood. She runs into issues with her boss at work due to deficiency in home training. Needless in-law ‘enemies’ are bred unwittingly.

If a grown woman receives a package from another person with the left hand while the right hand is obviously free, the gesture is offensive but most likely no one offers to correct her. Certainly not the person selling to her if she were making a purchase. A young man sees the friend of his mother carrying something a little heavy into their home and continues to chat away on his phone without offering to assist. He barely even greets her. It is a sorry sight.

It is becoming very common for people to keep chatting and scrolling on devices while someone is communicating with them. It is simple courtesy to ask a little time from the person speaking to you to conclude whatever one is doing on the phone so you can properly listen. Except the communication is a simple information or question, it is disrespectful to keep doing stuff on the phone while the other person is explaining something. Parents need to teach children to give proper attention while speaking to them and demand same from them. It could be as serious as seizing the device of a recalcitrant child for a few days.

Proper upbringing is not done in virtual reality. Real worthwhile relationships are built face to face. For me I am even learning to have a no phone/tab period of time while with my family. When the chips are down, those we rely on are our family and close friends. They are not the likers of our IG photos or those who comment on our fb post. Building meaningful deep relationship with family and close friends requires that we sometimes give them undivided, unfettered attention.

‘Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it’, says the Holy Book.

http://mouthpiece.com.ng/home-training-a-disappearing-art/

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by bedspread: 10:52am On Dec 18, 2018
BREAKING NEWS: MOURINHO HAS BEEN SACKED!!

It should be for LACK OF TRAINING too!!!

Bro below! Reconstruct your statements! You are not FTC sir

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by GREATESTPIANIST: 10:52am On Dec 18, 2018
OMG !! I am FTC, signs of great things coming my way!!!!!! I DEDICATE THIS FEAT TO EVERY NAIRALANDER THAT FEELS LIKE GIVING UP AND DISCOURAGED, BE STRONG MY DEAR, THINGS WILL WORK OUT FINE, KEEP HUSSLING AND HAVE MORE FAITH, STAY POSITIVE...........Now back to you @op, Home training still exists in some quarters... Although the decadence of moral values is really disturbingly saddening...my take....

3 Likes

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Oluwaseyi00(m): 10:52am On Dec 18, 2018
The level of moral decadence in this present society is quite alarming and has left me bewildered countless times.

The wrong is now seen as the Right and the right seen as the wrong.

15 Likes

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by SIMPLYkush: 10:52am On Dec 18, 2018
yes, It exist, I still do Bleep my uncles wife while he is away, there is nothing sweet like having sex with your aunt, mother in law or ur cousins.... its so cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by salbis(m): 10:53am On Dec 18, 2018
Though our economy is very harsh, but one has to strike a balance between making money and instilling moral values in their wards.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by gift2xl: 10:53am On Dec 18, 2018
THE COUNTRY IS NOT SETTLED, THE LEADERS ARE NOT SETTLED, THE PARENT ARE NOT SETTLED, THE CHILDREN ARE NOT SETTLED EVEN YOU YOUR NOT SETTLED, HOW WILL HOME TRAINING BE SETTLED WHEN THERE ARE NO SETTLED MINDS ? CALCULATE THE % IT HAS GONE UP COS EVERYONE IS HUZZLING AND THE HUZZING IS NOT ENOUGH. I DISLIKE THIS GOVT. THEM FYN LIKE MUMU.

1 Like

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by greatgod2012(f): 10:53am On Dec 18, 2018
Yes! Though, not as much as it was before but some families still find time to give quality home training to their children!

6 Likes

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Zanotty(m): 10:53am On Dec 18, 2018
Gone and forgotten
Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Sholaco: 10:53am On Dec 18, 2018
No
Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Ressaman(m): 10:53am On Dec 18, 2018
Parents are now proud of their sons being Yahoo boys
So, NO, it no longer exists.

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 18, 2018
It is relative.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by maxiuc(m): 10:54am On Dec 18, 2018
Taaah it stopped Long ago

indomie generation mum everywhere

1 Like

bedspread:
!
Oh no.
Liverpool why?!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by franklypaen: 10:54am On Dec 18, 2018
I liked the "paragraph from mother's eye" part that is so true

7 Likes

In these days when house maids are the ones who bring up most kids?

1 Like

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Haymaykar(m): 10:54am On Dec 18, 2018
It a forgotten stuff...cause we Africans now focus on foreign characters..

1 Like

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by pocohantas(f): 10:54am On Dec 18, 2018
Is it not the ones that were hometrained, ruling this country?

As far as I am concerned, Nigerians are just pretentious people. The youths these days are just tired of pretending.

Also the advent of Instagram mothers and beardgang fathers. Those ones that think parenting is about fine pictures and wearing to-match clothes.

In all, home training is still very much in place. Though we now see it as old-school.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Pulsenaija: 10:54am On Dec 18, 2018
Home training given by Africans are filled will pretense and superstitions. Do as I say but not as I do. How will that work?

Is it not time to do away with left hand superstition? That's why we have a lot of timid youths every where.

Ever wondered why we who proclaim to be cultured can't even produce good leaders while those abroad you criticize have a conducive environment many of you are running to?

Think!!!!!!!

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by loveinglistic: 10:54am On Dec 18, 2018
yes, Na somebody teach me how to play bet on NaijaBet.

and i go still play today's games too

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Stalwert: 10:55am On Dec 18, 2018
I doubt that much look at nairaland most nairalanders lack home training.
Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by WIZDOM081(m): 10:55am On Dec 18, 2018
Home training means Childhood way of life which have an effect on Children, therefore it exist.
Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by able1993(m): 10:55am On Dec 18, 2018
I doubt it does

Anyway, you can visit www.motivate.com.ng to learn about Jerry Rawlings, Lee Yuan Kew, Thomas Sankara..... and also the success strategies of Ben Carson, Albert Einstein, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates......
Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Flashh: 10:56am On Dec 18, 2018
Good home training doesn't mean you should be it. Depends on individual.

1 Like

Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 18, 2018
WIZDOM081:
Home training means Childhood way of life which have an effect on Children, therefore it exist.

senseless post
Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by Moreoffaith(m): 10:56am On Dec 18, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by bknight: 10:56am On Dec 18, 2018
We worry too much undecided
Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by babyfaceafrica: 10:56am On Dec 18, 2018
yes... but we have the worst set of children born of a generation.... very unstable and out of control.....,,
Re: Home Training: Does It Still Exist? by sukerefakere(m): 10:56am On Dec 18, 2018
bedspread:

It should be for LACK OF TRAINING too!!!
They need an Italian coach.
Conte
Sinisa Mihajlovic

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Cry For Help I Lost Everything / Is My Wife Taking Advantage Of Me ? / Help! Maid Now Hounds Me In The House Because I Saw Her unclothedness!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.