Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,278 members, 7,811,829 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? (26210 Views)

Is It Okay To Warm Your Car Before Driving Off In The Morning? / The Reason Why You Must Go Round Your Car Before You Drive Off / How To Inspect A Used Car Before Buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by carsnazi(f): 10:07am On Dec 21, 2018
Is warming up your car essential or an insignificant practice? To answer this question, let’s start with older car models that have carburetors. Owners of these cars definitely need to do the warm-up for a while before driving off. The reason is that these cars have a manual choke cable that needs to be pulled prior to starting for the subsequent smooth running.

However, many cars nowadays don’t require this practice thanks to the technology advancements, namely air temperature sensors, air pressure sensors, coolant temperature sensors and other inputs. This set of inputs is provided to the onboard computer system when the engine is ignited - a process known as "open loop".

During the open loop, the car does a warming-up session. In the meantime, the computer urges the engine to make up for the inputs taking part in warming up. When this process is completed, the engine goes into the closed loop; therefore, the engine is warmed up. Correspondingly, you don’t need to warm up your car manually since the engine has done it itself, so you can drive right away once the engine comes into power.

In short, to answer the question of how long should you warm up your car before driving, you just need to check whether your car has a carburetor which is commonly found on older models. Otherwise, if your car is a modern one, it is likely that the advice of warming up the engine is not necessary to be followed.

Hope this post is helpful for you.

Source https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/is-it-necessary-to-warm-up-your-car-before-driving-off-654[color=#990000][/color]

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by carsnazi(f): 10:13am On Dec 21, 2018
This one is also useful: How to start the engine without using the cable!

Link here: https://naijauto.com/safe-driving/how-to-start-the-engine-with-a-dead-battery-without-using-jumper-cable-697

1. Manual cars
Taking advantage of hilly terrain
As its name has said it all, this method requires a hilly terrain on which we push our vehicle with the help of others (and of course, push down the hill, not vice versa).

When you make sure to have sufficient assistance from others, get behind the wheel, get your vehicle in gear and try to maintain a speed of 5 mph down the hill. While doing this, loosen your brake, release the handbrake at the same time and press the clutch for the vehicle to roll. Next, turn the key in the ignition while still keeping the clutch depressed.

In case the car remains inactive, use the clutch to get down to the second gear, then press on the accelerator while the key is turning in the ignition. This method will definitely work, believe me!

Using the battery charger
This method comes handy for those cars whose battery is dead on a plain terrain. All you need to do is find an AC plug to replenish your battery for some hours by attaching the charger to it (yes, you heard it, some hours, so if time is not for you, this is not advisable).

Using solar charger
You can also make use of the solar energy to start your engine by lay your solar panel on the car's dashboard. Next, plug the panel into the car's lighter point. Doing this, you’re charging the dead battery, so you can start your engine again.

2. Automatic car
To start an automatic car, the only one feasible practice that is pretty similar to the manual one is, taking advantage of the inclined terrain. And, all you need to do is also to copy steps you should do in a manual vehicle.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:17am On Dec 21, 2018
for automatic cars? I never knew this oh

1 Like

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by carsnazi(f): 10:20am On Dec 21, 2018
obekediamondfuto:
for automatic cars? I never knew this oh

It depends on your car model years & how modern it is. If the engine goes smooth without warming up, then u don't need to I think. But for old models, esp for manual, warming up is good for a smooth ride.

1 Like

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:55am On Dec 21, 2018
carsnazi:

It depends on your car model years & how modern it is. If the engine goes smooth without warming up, then u don't need to I think. But for old models, esp for manual, warming up is good for a smooth ride.

I wasn't referring to the warm up

I meant the "starting the car with a dead battery "

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by carsnazi(f): 2:19am On Dec 22, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

I wasn't referring to the warm up

I meant the "starting the car with a dead battery "

Oh, sorry bro! grin I mistook it
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by HenryWilliams(m): 9:19am On Dec 22, 2018
Warming up the engine in a modern day car isn't mandatory. However on a very cold night , it doesn't hurt to allow the engine reach operating temperature before driving. All in all, warming or no warming it doesn't remove anything from the engine.

27 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by chuka5000(m): 5:11am On Dec 23, 2018
carsnazi:
This one is also useful: How to start the engine without using the cable!

Link here: https://naijauto.com/safe-driving/how-to-start-the-engine-with-a-dead-battery-without-using-jumper-cable-697

1. Manual cars
Taking advantage of hilly terrain
As its name has said it all, this method requires a hilly terrain on which we push our vehicle with the help of others (and of course, push down the hill, not vice versa).

When you make sure to have sufficient assistance from others, get behind the wheel, get your vehicle in gear and try to maintain a speed of 5 mph down the hill. While doing this, loosen your brake, release the handbrake at the same time and press the clutch for the vehicle to roll. Next, turn the key in the ignition while still keeping the clutch depressed.

In case the car remains inactive, use the clutch to get down to the second gear, then press on the accelerator while the key is turning in the ignition. This method will definitely work, believe me!

Using the battery charger
This method comes handy for those cars whose battery is dead on a plain terrain. All you need to do is find an AC plug to replenish your battery for some hours by attaching the charger to it (yes, you heard it, some hours, so if time is not for you, this is not advisable).

Using solar charger
You can also make use of the solar energy to start your engine by lay your solar panel on the car's dashboard. Next, plug the panel into the car's lighter point. Doing this, you’re charging the dead battery, so you can start your engine again.

2. Automatic car
To start an automatic car, the only one feasible practice that is pretty similar to the manual one is, taking advantage of the inclined terrain. And, all you need to do is also to copy steps you should do in a manual vehicle.

u mean u can jerk start an automatic transmission car?

5 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by EbukaIam: 7:44am On Dec 09, 2020
I think yes
chuka5000:

u mean u can jerk start an automatic transmission car?
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by nairaman66(m): 8:22am On Dec 09, 2020
It’s like waking of from sleep, and you are asked to get to do a hard day’s job. You will breakdown!

You need to put on your car for atleast 5-10 mins for the oil to circulate properly for easy transmission.

57 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Jajaofopobo3: 8:22am On Dec 09, 2020
Yes
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by AntiChristian: 8:22am On Dec 09, 2020
Do I need a car, right now?

May Allah grant us the best in both worlds!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by bigfish3k: 8:23am On Dec 09, 2020
The engineers in the house.
Oya help us
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by updatechange(m): 8:23am On Dec 09, 2020
As I do push up every morning before I get up I know it's useful to warm your car before driving

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by slawormiir: 8:23am On Dec 09, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright...

Put on my intellectual cap and blazing my morning weed while reading between lines or rather as i perused through the op write up

I must confess this write up is not devoid of intellect

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Tbvxl: 8:23am On Dec 09, 2020
Yes more than necessary

2 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Tbvxl: 8:23am On Dec 09, 2020
smiley
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:23am On Dec 09, 2020
Warming up your car improves combustion, fuel economy and performance. The engine's cooling system uses a thermostat to maintain its most efficient temperature range.

Auto experts today say that you should warm up the car no more than 30 seconds before you start driving in winter.
"The engine will warm up faster being driven,"

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Vidsolution79: 8:23am On Dec 09, 2020
Its very important...You could like to check my signature
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 09, 2020
it's Ur choice
everybody with their ways
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Queenserah26(f): 8:24am On Dec 09, 2020
wink It is
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by GreaterFuture(m): 8:24am On Dec 09, 2020
The Experts should tell us, we have many of them here on Nairaland.
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Uyi168: 8:24am On Dec 09, 2020
Yes na. The same way u warm up before match.. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by handsomeyinka(m): 8:24am On Dec 09, 2020
Sure.
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by money121(m): 8:25am On Dec 09, 2020
Ok
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Seyzcham91(m): 8:25am On Dec 09, 2020
Yea very very neccessary
carsnazi:

Hope this post is helpful for you.

Source https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/is-it-necessary-to-warm-up-your-car-before-driving-off-654[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Afam4eva(m): 8:25am On Dec 09, 2020
very good question as i'm someone who challenges this that have existed just because i want to know the reason why we do what we do .
Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Carmartng: 8:25am On Dec 09, 2020
Carmart Nigeria allows you to sell your car for the best price from the comfort of your home. Rather than hearing bad offers from dealers or adding a banner of "FOR SALE", let carmart Nigeria do all the heavy lifting for you, Upload the details of the car and get the best offer from interested buyers.'

https://carmart.ng/

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by Dididrumz(m): 8:25am On Dec 09, 2020
Nice question.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Necessary To Warm Up Your Car Before Driving Off? by simi1(m): 8:26am On Dec 09, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Army To Unveil 1st Locally Made Armoured Cars / Subsidy Removal: Taraba Civil Servants Sell Off Cars / See A Smart Helmet With Wireless Device That Give Signals For Better Safety

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.