Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,892 members, 7,824,734 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages (18111 Views)

Why Most Marriages Never Exceed 10years / When Your Presence Is Ruining The Show / Problems With Sex Is Ruining My Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 09, 2010
jennykadry:

Not good enough excuse, because he has failed before meaning he is gonna fail again eh kwa?

Okay you want them to experiment with her hard- earned money? undecided
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 09, 2010
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 09, 2010
chaircover:

Uju, there you go again; His and Mine, My money, His money. . . . . .er actually it is actually OUR Money dearie wink

We all can’t be perfect. Some people excel in some things better than others. If God has blessed the wife with good business skills, then what stops her from letting the husband run the business and she cross checks that the I’s are dotted and the T’s are crossed.

Even if the man was useless at business, with patience, love, encouragement and support, you can lead from behind and make him one of the best business men in the town. Don’t they say that behind every successful man is a woman?

Is he a dunce and````````````````````````````````````` an ako ti le ta not to be able to learn good business skills if his wife was showing him how in love. You can teach anyone anything; the method is what makes the difference.

Okay maybe I'll have to get married to understand that part!

That I have to hand over everything I own to a man to do as he pleases is not something I can relate with right now. grin grin

One question though . . . what if the man is just plain stubborn and has refused to learn. He thinks he knows it all when his methods have failed him time and over again. Do you still hand over everything to him and pray for a miracle undecided
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 09, 2010
chaircover:

Their Money wink

Yea right! grin
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by IyaBasira: 2:25pm On Aug 09, 2010
chaircover:

Iya Basira, logically and not in too many words, why do you think that the man choose to abandon the "big money" wifey who lives in Abuja and marry another woman.

Because he was selfish and ungrateful.

There is no excuse for taking another wife or cheating. None.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Oba234: 2:47pm On Aug 09, 2010
chaircover:

Iya Basira, logically and not in too many words, why do you think that the man choose to abandon the "big money" wifey who lives in Abuja and marry another woman.

since you nairalanders love to quote bible scriptures so much, let me help you out with one. Fornication and adultery is a sin o. I am surprise that the same person that says women must submit according to the bible is now saying the men is not at fault after commiting adultery and probably fornication.

Heb 13:4 "Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

(Matthew 5:27-28) 27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery;’
28 but I tell you that everyone who gazes at a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

(Matthew 19:9) 9 I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and he who marries her when she is divorced commits adultery.”"

Galatians 5:21) 21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, sin assemblies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:3-5) 3 But sexual immorality, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not even be mentioned among you, as becomes saints;
4 nor filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not appropriate; but rather giving of thanks.
5[b] Know this for sure, that no sexually immoral person, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and God.
[/b]

stop picking and choosing what part of the bible you want to hear. What that man did to his wife according to the bible is wrong and he will be judged by God because  of that.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by seyibrown(f): 3:00pm On Aug 09, 2010
vinooh:

not as b4,things has changed the world is turning upside down.women are incharge now and their words are taken in the homes or else there wouldnt be peace

in china many men are the cookers even in their homes,

civilization brought many good and bad things men have to understand this and stop claiming they are the head for their own life

one elderly man ones said this is the evidence of the world coming to an end coz women has taken over and they will ruin and destroy the world just as many of them are ruining their homes
@poster better women still recognize their husband as the head and the person who have the final say.peace. happiness and orderliness always fill her home but those who claim equal {two heads} women who want to change the will of the creator always met disaster.

[size=16pt]
You are so wrong! Take the state of Nigeria for example; Men have been in power for so long and they've succesfully managed to ruin this country. All many of those in governance do is marry more wives, keep mistresses and sleep around with anything in a skirt (No wonder they can't think right or do right by the country)! They are not honorable in the management of the smallest societal unit(the family); of course, they would fail when faced with the big picture; and they have. Until women of good conscience are allowed to govern this country alongside honorable men, this country is gonna keep going down the drain![/size]
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by seyibrown(f): 3:04pm On Aug 09, 2010
Oba234:

since you nairalanders love to quote bible scriptures so much, let me help you out with one. Fornication and adultery is a sin o. I am surprise that the same person that says women must submit according to the bible is now saying the men is not at fault after commiting adultery and probably fornication.

Heb 13:4 "Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

(Matthew 5:27-28) 27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery;’
28 but I tell you that everyone who gazes at a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

(Matthew 19:9) 9 I tell you that whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and he who marries her when she is divorced commits adultery.”"

Galatians 5:21) 21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, sin assemblies, and things like these; of which I forewarn you, even as I also forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:3-5) 3 But sexual immorality, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not even be mentioned among you, as becomes saints;
4 nor filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not appropriate; but rather giving of thanks.
5[b] Know this for sure, that no sexually immoral person, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and God.
[/b]

stop picking and choosing what part of the bible you want to hear. What that man did to his wife according to the bible is wrong and he will be judged by God because  of that. 

Abi o! They condemn 'non- submission' and condole adultery in the same breath! Makes me wonder which bible version they read!
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 09, 2010
Ujujoan:

Okay maybe I'll have to get married to understand that part!

That I have to hand over everything I own to a man to do as he pleases is not something I can relate with right now. grin grin

One question though . . . what if the man is just plain stubborn and has refused to learn. He thinks he knows it all when his methods have failed him time and over again. Do you still hand over everything to him and pray for a miracle undecided
I hardly think it is a question of waiting until you get married, but acquiring a positive, proactive attitude NOW as to what a marriage is. It is a union not a competition. The bible says the twain shall become one flesh.

It is not about nagging or upbraiding the man for past real and imagined business failings, but on the contrary doing your utmost to ensure that the CURRENT business venture would be successful.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 3:16pm On Aug 09, 2010
bawomolo:

what assurance?  you mean the same country where having mistresses and side pieces is a regular occurrence?

And you think not being submissive will be the solution to him not having a mistress?

bawomolo:

ikeke idi - would you do stuff like prostrate for your husband to greet him or before giving him a plate of food?

grin grin grin grin grin grin

See this yeye Akata.  tongue grin

In YOUR CULTURE women do not prostrate, they kneel down. Olodo.  grin

And I don't think that is part of majority of most men's definition of submission.

bawomolo:

but that was submissiveness then, are you saying it wasn't healthy?  

i hope you now realize a submissive relationship may or may not be healthy, it depends on the individuals involved.  i doubt women like hilary clinton or michelle obama are submissive.

And did Bill Clinton not cheat multiple times on Hilary?

chiogo:

That's actually what I have a problem with. I agree with making him feel good, which should go both ways by the way. But pump his ego? What for? If he's secure, why would there be a need for that? That's like how you give candy to kids to get them to shut up. I'm assuming he's a grown man obviously, why can't he know to do the right thing without some ego-pumping? I mean do people really get into a marriage not knowing their roles? Still makes no sense.

And I'm going with the dictionary definition of the word, which mostly has to do with slave like oyinda. posted.

So why should he regularly be assuring you that he loves you? Why should he be telling you you look nice (even when he does not think so or it is not hot enough to merit a compliment)? Why does he have to make Valentine's Day a special day for you? Why should he take any load he sees you carrying even though you are reasonably comfortable with it? Why should he spend MORE time with you when he wants to now go and see his friends after spending 4 hours with you and wants to do something else? Otherwise you are upset when he does not do all this.

Are you not a secure grown woman?
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 09, 2010
Hjilm
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by IyaBasira: 3:20pm On Aug 09, 2010
seyibrown:

Abi o! They quote submission and condole adultery!

How sad. Sometimes it seems like there is just no way out. Women are damned whatever they do.

Oba234:

[/b]

[b][b][b]stop picking and choosing what part of the bible you want to hear. What that man did to his wife according to the bible is wrong and he will be judged by God because  of that. 
[/b][/b][/b]

We human beings always think we can outdo God. But his standards are like between two mountains and there is NO MIDDLE GROUND! There isn't, and should never be, any excuse for a married man to take another wife while his first is still alive. If his wife was in his shoes, everyone would say
" Well, he is a man, he is working hard to provide for you and your family so you cannot divorce him and say you are feeling unloved. You also must NOT take another husband. "

I mean, come on.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Hauwa1: 3:22pm On Aug 09, 2010
ummmm so much to learn here again
ewoo
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 09, 2010
tensor777:

I hardly think it is a question of waiting until you get married, but acquiring a positive, proactive attitude NOW as to what a marriage is. It is a union not a competition. The bible says the twain shall become one flesh.

It is not about nagging or upbraiding the man for past real and imagined business failings, but on the contrary doing your utmost to ensure that the CURRENT business venture would be successful.

Okay you want me to start giving my BF all my money now  

Errm, that's kind of hard to do!  undecided
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 09, 2010
angelloven:

I can only hand over my hard earned money to a trusted man, those men who were previously doing well but had reversals in life due to no fault of them. but to the certified olofu lofu, noway. No matter what anybody preachs. It is easier said than done. I know a man who were so useless that his own rich father married an interligent poor girl for him and set the lady up in  big business to be able to carter for the family, all does is donate spermatozoa and ocassionally steals from the wife at home. He doesnt come near the business place as the his father has warned the wife about him. He nearly ruined the father only that he was very rich. What do you do with that kind of liability. pet and teach him till he enters the grave?

Old girl I don't know what you are on about there and how it relates to the topic at hand. But what I do know is that the bible says "for this cause a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife." It is clear that this marriage had foudational problems which should have been clear to any interested observer.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 3:25pm On Aug 09, 2010
oyinda.:

@ileke-idi,
basically to be a submissive wife, you do what your husband wants u to do.
like 18 yr old teen living with his parents. u have to listen to them just because they are your parents. lol most can't wait to leave for college and get their own independence. but imagine a wife living like that all her life.

and those saying there can't be two captains of a ship. to me, that analogy is too simplistic since there are many facets to a marriage and each spouse will be better at some aspect and vice versa

besides, the owner of a ship is more powerful than the captain of d ship. just like a board member or large share holder can be more powerful than the CEO of a company. it all boils down to who makes more money etc. that's why working women threaten men's power.

yea. what if he tells u he wants you home at a certain time each night etc. ie placing curfews
he wants you to keep a certain friend and not otherss. ie choosing your friends for you
he decides your employment. ie he doesn't want you to become an engineer and would prefer you to be a secretary

will u be submissive to that?

You will be surprised most people's definition of submissive is more about not arguing or raising your voice frequently, not talking down to your husband, not nagging everytime you do not have your way, allowing him to have the final decision (after you have stealthly shaped it to be what you want) when making joint decisions, letting him feel he has the upper hand (not we are mates or we share the trousers) etc.

Not the dictatorial stuff you put above.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 09, 2010
Sagamite:

You will be surprised most people's definition of submissive is more about not arguing decisions, not talking down to your husband, not making nagging everytime you do not have your way, allowing him to have the final decision (after you have stealthly shaped it to be what you want) when making joint decisions, letting him feel he has the upper hand (not we are mates or we share the trousers) etc.

What's this one's problem

Dint you find a good profile picture undecided
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 09, 2010
Ujujoan:

Okay you want me to start giving my BF all my money now  

Errm, that's kind of hard to do!  undecided

Who is talking about boyfriend and girlfriend. I am talking about the positive proactive attitude you should bring to the marital table WHEN you get married. There is no need to jump the firing gun. cool
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 3:29pm On Aug 09, 2010
Ujujoan:

What's this one's problem

Dint you find a good profile picture undecided

See this yeye woman. angry

The one I have there is not nice enough for ya? undecided
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 09, 2010
tensor777:

Who is talking about boyfriend and girlfriend I am talking about the positive proactive attitude you should bring WHEN you get married. There is no need to jump the firing gun. cool

Oh ok!

heaves a sigh of releif!
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 3:30pm On Aug 09, 2010
invisible!:

One woman I know, got tired of following her husband and decided to lead. She packed her load and left Lag to Abj. Got big contracts and was sending huge sums to the husband and her 3 kids. The husband continued to play the role of a housewife for two years, then he discreetly married another girl, brought her into the house. The woman was shocked when she learnt of the developement and came back and took her kids. Left the man and the marriage went kaput. This is a true life story.

Most likely the man is retarded and insecure.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 09, 2010
Sagamite:

See this yeye woman. angry

The one I have there is not nice enough for ya? undecided

u r d one obsessed with profile pictures not me!

I was just giving u sth to do. This thread is for the matured only! cool
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by chiogo(f): 3:32pm On Aug 09, 2010
Sagamite:

So why should he regularly be assuring you that he loves you? Why should he be telling you you look nice (even when he does not think so or it is not hot enough to merit a compliment)? Why does he have to make Valentine's Day a special day for you? Why should he take any load he sees you carrying even though you are reasonably comfortable with it? Why should he spend MORE time with you when he wants to now go and see his friends after spending 4 hours with you and wants to do something else? Otherwise you are upset when he does not do all this.

Are you not a secure grown woman?
These things are mutual, i.e, I'd be doing the same for him too. Ego-pumping is more like this:

Sagamite:

You will be surprised most people's definition of submissive is more about not arguing decisions, not talking down to your husband, not making nagging everytime you do not have your way, allowing him to have the final decision (after you have stealthly shaped it to be what you want) when making joint decisions, letting him feel he has the upper hand (not we are mates or we share the trousers) etc.

You think slaves talk down on/argue with their masters? Once again, if he's secure, he'd use his judgment to know when he's making the right decisions and when he's not. This would enable him to know when my own decisions are the right ones instead of wanting me to keep quiet even at his folly because he's the HEAD. That's what being secure is all about - knowing you're not perfect . I see no reason to have a partner if her opinions don't matter and you make the FINAL decisions.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 3:35pm On Aug 09, 2010
Ujujoan:

u r d one obsessed with profile pictures not me!

I was just giving u sth to do. This thread is for the matured only! cool

Just come out with it jor.

Say it!

"You want me to put up a profile pix with me flashing pounds". Then you will tell me I look good. grin
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 09, 2010
Sagamite:

Just come out with it jor.

Say it!

"You want me to put up a profile pix with me flashing pounds". Then you will tell me I look good. grin

Do you want me to tell you you look good? undecided

Errm ok, you look good. You can go back to the profile pictures now! wink
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by spikedcylinder: 3:38pm On Aug 09, 2010
Any relationship that demands that I be subdued can never be a successful one. Be it lover, family or friends.
That is all.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by bawomolo(m): 3:41pm On Aug 09, 2010
And don't even bring Africa into this argument, we are okay the way we were before colonialism. We didn't have gay marriages here, there was no terrorism, no AIDS, no prostitution, no drugs, no indecency, no robberies and we lived in our own version of peace and prosperity.

lol no robberies no prostitution no ogogoro, no palm wine nothing until the white man came.

wetin we no hear for nl
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 3:42pm On Aug 09, 2010
chiogo:

These things are mutual, i.e, I'd be doing the same for him too. Ego-pumping is more like this:
You think slaves talk down on/argue with their masters? Once again, if he's secure, he'd use his judgment to know when he's making the right decisions and when he's not. This would enable him to know when my own decisions are the right ones instead of wanting me to keep quiet even at his folly because he's the HEAD. That's what being secure is all about - knowing you're not perfect . I see no reason to have a partner if her opinions don't matter and you make the FINAL decisions.

Just like I see no reason why I have to lie to a woman that she looks good when she looks average and a bit fat. But I have no option and will have to do it anyway.

If you think it is OK to talk down to your man then you have a long way to go and probably a few marriages to go except you marry a half-man.
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 3:43pm On Aug 09, 2010
Ujujoan:

Do you want me to tell you you look good? undecided

Errm ok, you look good. You can go back to the profile pictures now! wink

I know you know I look good. tongue

O nkan ma front ni (You just dey front). tongue grin grin cheesy
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by bawomolo(m): 3:44pm On Aug 09, 2010
We human beings always think we can outdo God. But his standards are like between two mountains and there is NO MIDDLE GROUND! There isn't, and should never be, any excuse for a married man to take another wife while his first is still alive.

i'm confused here, the God of the quoran said i can marry four wives.

na that kin God i dey worship o  grin
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 09, 2010
Sagamite:

I know you know I look good. tongue

O nkan ma front ni (You just dey front). tongue grin grin cheesy

Of cos I think you look good. Did I tell you kponmo is my best meat? wink
Re: Is The Fight For Equality Ruining Marriages by Sagamite(m): 3:49pm On Aug 09, 2010
chaircover:

Actually she was wrong & this is the mistake many women make. Its the You and me syndrome rather than the "us" syndrome.

She didn't have to pack her load & go to Abuja before she made an impact even if the man was lagging behind. She could have sat down with her husband and both worked out ways of making things better for the family.

You dont  just barge off on your own tangent and expect everyone to fall in line. An example of leading from behind would have been to make the connections  (I wonder how she made them but that is a story for another day) and put her husband in the right place to get those contracts himself; and unless he is a stup.id fellow (who she married by the way) then he would have done the job, fended for his family & everyone remains in thier assigned roles.

She was sending big money to the husband, forgetting that life is not all about money, her money could not buy warmth, cook, be there for her family, provide companionship, pamper the man or sooth the children when they were sick and so on,  so the man went and found someone who could.

Remember she was away for 2 years. After contract number 1 or 2, she could have easily introduced her husband to the powers that be to put him in line for contracts or even a job, she could have relocated the family to abuja & have all lived together and so on. She probably made the man feel like a begger each time she came back to Lagos & dropping huge sums for his feeding allowance.

If the women were my junior sister, I would have given her a big slap if she comes crying to me that her husband left her for the housegirl.

I completely disagree.

It is not everyone that has the prerequisite skills to make money. The skills to be successful might not be in him.

Na everybody know maths?

Na everybody fit manage business relationships?

Na everyone fit make complex business decisions in the face of ambiguity?

She might have the business acumen and he does not. Let her go and make the money.

So if my sweetheart, Kelly Rowland, hooks up with me now, would you say she should teach me how to sing and shake my booty so I can be the one making money?

No, I will sit me arse down and continue making my £4,623.78 per annum salary whilst she brings in the £10m a year salary.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Child Spacing / I Want To Change My Name / Couple Welcome Quadruplets After 12 Years Of Waiting (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.