Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,149 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? (7470 Views)

Fayemi Moves To Dethrone 16 Kings In Ekiti - Wazobia Reporters / Buhari Ordered Ganduje To Dethrone Emir Sanusi – Kwankwaso / I Have Received Request To Dethrone Emir Sanusi – Ganduje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 27, 2018
OlujobaSamuel:

I'm sorry, I wasn't part of those that wrote the constitution, na dem fit explain why a governor is superior to monarch in ranking and authority.
let us make a ranking right now: I am Superior to you and your entire family and even your ancestors. Yoruba and rankings... Don't you guys ever get tired of all your rankings ? Everyday a nonsensical Yoruba ranking is created. Let me leave you with this: the governor bows to the Oba, not the reverse.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by todaynewsreview: 6:18pm On Dec 27, 2018
The point is. The Oba is through inheritance, that means, not by any political influence nor kingmakers. Not even through any form of lobby. Obas are born and known from birth. That means whether the governor recognized them or not doesn't change anything. By law, the governor recognized them because the people already do. This case is entirely different from other kingdoms in Nigeria. Could be liken to the Queen or King in England. There's no argument on the power to dethrone an Oba as is Bini Kingdom is concern. The worse a governor could do is to deny the Oba his entitlement but cannot in the true sense of it dethrone him. Bini nor be like other kingdoms (Sokoto, Kano, I've, etc)
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 27, 2018
todaynewsreview:
The point is. The Oba is through inheritance, that means, not by any political influence nor kingmakers. Not even through any form of lobby. Obas are born and known from birth. That means whether the governor recognized them or not doesn't change anything. By law, the governor recognized them because the people already do. This case is entirely different from other kingdoms in Nigeria. Could be liken to the Queen or King in England. There's no argument on the power to dethrone an Oba as is Bini Kingdom is concern. The worse a governor could do is to deny the Oba his entitlement but cannot in the true sense of it dethrone him. Bini nor be like other kingdoms (Sokoto, Kano, I've, etc)
Bro, it's Benin Kingdom. Not "Bini Kingdom"
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by OlujobaSamuel: 6:20pm On Dec 27, 2018
prolog2:
let us make a ranking right now: I am Superior to you and your entire family and even your ancestors.
So if Nigeria law that we are both subjects to make it so or otherwise, my words of mouth will change such fact written in law?
Op, isn't asking if a governor would love to exercise such power, but the legality of such power, so kindly know the difference.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by todaynewsreview: 6:22pm On Dec 27, 2018
prolog2:
Bro, it's Benin Kingdom. Not "Bini Kingdom"
It's Bini Kingdom. Do a little research bro. Thanks.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 27, 2018
OlujobaSamuel:

So if Nigeria law that we are both subjects to make it so or otherwise, my words of mouth will change such fact written in law?
Op, isn't asking if a governor would love to exercise such power, but the legality of such power, so kindly know the difference.
the answer is "No". And the question itself doesn't make sense. Edo state is just a fragment of Benin Kingdom.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Dec 27, 2018
todaynewsreview:

I think you really need to not argue when you don't know. It is Benin Kingdom ! The word "Bini" is a post-nigeria slang.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 27, 2018
AAUJotham:
The Governor of Edo State has the full right to withdraw the staff of Authority from the Oba of Benin

Those Against let's discuss
lol are you from Edo state? I seriously hope you have not been there,cause if you have and you are saying this then were is your brain

the oba is not a king but an emperor,

obaseki postrates fully when greeting the oba.even if the constitution says he has the power he won't dare.

the Edos adore the oba
you can't speak ill of the oba in the presence of some people and still have your head on your shoulder,impossible.

look for other rulers to talk about and leave the occupant of the 900 year old Benin throne alone.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by todaynewsreview: 6:26pm On Dec 27, 2018
prolog2:
I think you really need to not argue when you don't know. It is Benin Kingdom ! The word "Bini" is a post-nugeria slang.

Your are getting it wrong bro
http://www.edo-nation.net/naiwu1.htm

1 Like

Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Dec 27, 2018
Chidorx60:
lol are you from Edo state? I seriously hope you have not been there,cause if you have and you are saying this then were is your brain

obaseki postrates fully when greeting the oba.even if the constitution says he has the power he won't dare.

the Edos adore the oba
you can't speak ill of the oba in the presence of some people and still have your head on your shoulder,impossible.

look for other rulers to talk about and leave the occupant of the 900 year old Benin throne alone.
Benin Kingdom and it's monarchy is most likely older than 1000 years.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 27, 2018
todaynewsreview:

Your are getting it wrong bro
http://www.edo-nation.net/naiwu1.htm

Bro what is your point. The name remains Benin Kingdom.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by AAUJotham(m): 6:33pm On Dec 27, 2018
Binikingdowm:
you think this is about that your useless ooni? That bow down to tinubu to be crown king abi?

We'll rather let this stupid country divide and go back to monarchy rule

I am an Edo blood
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by hedonistic: 6:33pm On Dec 27, 2018
prolog2:
so long as queen of England is not inferior to prime minister of England...you can say "republic" all you want and you can write as many constitutions as you want, you just can't change facts. The Oba of Benin is one of the Kings who signed Nigeria into existence alongside the sultan of sokoto, the alafin of Oyo, the obong of Calabar and the emir of Kano. Fact will always remain fact. And in case you are unaware, the current Constitution recognized the Previous Kings Of just talked about. I can see how it hurts you, so please go hug a transformer.

Na wa o. I like the Oba of Benin throne more than you mainly because of the rich history and tradition, though I'm not even from Edo. But I'm just stating the obvious fact.

The UK is a Constitutional Monarchy. The powers of the King or Queen are legally established. And are parallel to the powers of the Prime Minister. The Queen is the Head of State. The PM is the Head of Government. Clearly spelt out, with different roles and powers.

Nigeria has hundreds or even thousands of 'traditional rulers, not only one (like the UK), so you can't even compare. Our laws grant governors the power to approve or deny the nomination of ANY traditional ruler by kingmakers, or to depose ANY traditional ruler on the recommendation of kingmakers. In essence, the laws can be twisted to give governors power to entrone and dethrone ANY traditional ruler in their state.

You can say that a governor may be too scared to remove a top traditional ruler. That's his own cup of tea. Another governor may not be. Current Emir of Kano (Sanusi) was almost removed by Ganduje before everyone (including Buhari, Tinubu, Sultan, etc) begged him to forgive and spare Sanusi. He vowed that Sanusi must shut up and never say anything about Kano government again or else he will be removed. Since then the usually talkative Sanusi has been silent.

Emir of Kano is as big as Oba of Benin. If a mad man wey no send anybody becomes Governor of Edo State tomorrow,, him fit change am for Oba. He has the legal authority. NOTHING go happen.

1 Like

Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by AAUJotham(m): 6:33pm On Dec 27, 2018
Chidorx60:

the Edos adore the oba

I am from Edo State intact I school in AAU
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 27, 2018
prolog2:
Benin Kingdom and it's monarchy is most likely older than 1000 years.
yeah,according to paper knowledge that at times excludes the ogiso (sky god)era.that's were the 900 year figure is gotten
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 27, 2018
Chidorx60:
yeah,according to paper knowledge that at times excludes the ogiso (sky god)era.that's were the 900 year figure is gotten
the ogiso era is a myth. I am having my talk on archeology.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 27, 2018
hedonistic:

Na wa o. I like the Oba of Benin throne more than you mainly because of the rich history and tradition, though I'm not even from Edo. But I'm just stating the obvious fact.

The UK is a Constitutional Monarchy. The powers of the King or Queen are legally established. And are parallel to the powers of the Prime Minister. The Queen is the Head of State. The PM is the Head of Government. Clearly spelt out, with different roles and powers.

Nigeria has hundreds or even thousands of 'traditional rulers, not only one (like the UK), so you can't even compare. Our laws grant governors the power to approve or deny the nomination of ANY traditional ruler by kingmakers, or to depose ANY traditional ruler on the recommendation of kingmakers. In essence, the laws can be twisted to give governors power to entrone and dethrone ANY traditional ruler in their state.

You can say that a governor may be too scared to remove a top traditional ruler. That's his own cup of tea. Another governor may not be. Current Emir of Kano (Sanusi) was almost removed by Ganduje before everyone (including Buhari, Tinubu, Sultan, etc) begged him to forgive and spare Sanusi. He vowed that Sanusi must shut up and never say anything about Kano government again or else he will be removed. Since then the usually talkative Sanusi has been silent.

Emir of Kano is as big as Oba of Benin. If a mad man wey no send anybody becomes Governor of Edo State tomorrow,, him fit change am for Oba. He has the legal authority. NOTHING go happen.
talking to you is just like talking to a cow, you just can't hear word. The only difference in the Nigerian system and that if the UK is that there are 5 Kings in Nigeria and only one in the UK. You guys need to stop believing your fake Obas Kings (who started calling themselves Kings only after the place was colonized ) are actual Kings. If the Constitution say you are white, will you then become white, if it says you are Chinese, would you become Chinese ? As I already said, Edo-state is a fraction of Benin Kingdom. And who exactly asked you if you love Benin Kingdom or not ? You love us more than we love ourselves while all you do is trash us ? Please keep your nonesense for yourself. Nobody can dethrone the Oba of Benin. The Brits tried and failed, it is not a gouvernor or president who can achieve that.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by newoffer: 6:46pm On Dec 27, 2018
. This is Oba of Benin Kingdom. most reverred among African Kings

2 Likes

Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 27, 2018
prolog2:
the ogiso era is a myth. I am having my talk on archeology.
every culture has a myth,
I have always been skeptical about the ogiso story though.

do you do archeolgy
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 27, 2018
Chidorx60:

do you do archeolgy
Everything with no proof is a myth, no I am not an archeologists, but unlike the usual Nigerian, I am educated and I read actual scientific work.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Binikingdowm: 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2018
Bleep you OP I'm out

Don't say this nonsense in presence of Edo people o
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by hedonistic: 6:55pm On Dec 27, 2018
prolog2:
talking to you is just like talking to a cow, you just can't hear word. The only difference in the Nigerian system and that if the UK is that there are 5 Kings in Nigeria and only one in the UK. You guys need to stop believing your fake Obas Kings (who started calling themselves Kings only after the place was colonized ) are actual Kings. If the Constitution say you are white, will you then become white, if it says you are Chinese, would you become Chinese ? As I already said, Edo-state is a fraction of Benin Kingdom. And who exactly asked you if you love Benin Kingdom or not ? You love us more than we love ourselves while all you do is trash us ? Please keep your nonesense for yourself. Nobody can dethrone the Oba of Benin. The Brits tried and failed, it is not a gouvernor or president who can achieve that.

Lol. Na bushman I dey follow talk since. I apologise for wasting my time.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 27, 2018
prolog2:

Everything with no proof is a myth, no I am not an archeologists, but unlike the usual Nigerian, I am educated and I read actual scientific work.
good one
but know that every seeker of the ancient cultures and traditions is an archeologist and if you are such.then am pleased to have encountered you.

yes that's what a true kingdom is made up of,no definite origin,not all these mushroom kingdoms that sprung up during the colonial era.
btw
Israel is the only nation with an accurate documentation of its origin.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Etrusen(m): 9:03pm On Mar 13, 2020
Ogiso era is not a myth because it all have prove you don't know about the prove because you are not into it. I could prove it if you were with me. Benin has myth but not the ogisos please understand. I have made my research by visiting the palace and other places to get full details, I think you make your research. If you need any clear narrative about Benin you can contact me. I am a young Benin indigene who have dedicated time to study Benin when I was 14 and now am 22. The deepness of Benin history cannot be properly exposed except you are part as there are a lot the outside world don't know about Benin.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Etrusen(m): 9:07pm On Mar 13, 2020
Chidorx60:

do you do archeolgy

Ogiso era is not a myth because it all have prove you don't know about the prove because you are not into it. I could prove it if you were with me. Benin has myth but not the ogisos please understand. I have made my research by visiting the palace and other places to get full details, I think you make your research. If you need any clear narrative about Benin you can contact me. I am a young Benin indigene who have dedicated time to study Benin when I was 14 and now am 22. The deepness of Benin history cannot be properly exposed except you are part as there are a lot the outside world don't know about Benin.
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by wirinet(m): 9:31pm On Mar 13, 2020
todaynewsreview:

It was originally called Ubini before the Europeans changed it to Benin. We itsekiris who are very related to the Benin use to call Benin Ubini. My grandma who was born in the 1900s called it Ubini until she died in the late 90s.

1 Like

Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by MetaPhysical: 9:58pm On Mar 13, 2020
Look at Edo people feeling funky. Asking if a gov can remove their Oba.

Who gave him staff of office and letter of appointment, no be governor? Mmmmmmmtcchew....

Imhotep come and see your biafran brothers wanting to know if their Oba is above governor or not.

1 Like

Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by icebird25(m): 9:59pm On Mar 13, 2020
The op and those supporting him are just looking for attention...

They don't Know how things work here in Edo state .I'm from esan by tribe but I was told that the oba of Benin is the most superior of them all ...I was told how my ancestors payed homage to the oba ... someone asked me why isn't it that uniben a federal University having the binin kingdom logo as it's logo too...I told him that things work differently here in Edo state ...we acknowledge the oba of Benin kingdom as the greatest of all humans in Edo state ... binin kingdom have a rich culture ....the kingdom is as old as mankind..the governor will not even dare to think of such act ...it was the people who made him the governor and they can still take it back in any constitutional way ..it is the same people who recognize the oba as the greatest monarch in Nigeria as a whole...so think wisely
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 14, 2020
Etrusen:

yeah I'm also into Benin culture.....and no I wasn't doubting the ogiso dynasty....but I was only doubting the fact that they are sky gods and not mere men
Re: Does The Governor Of Edo State Has The Right To Dethrone Its Oba? by Valkrie: 1:23pm On Mar 14, 2020
Etrusen:

Pls kindly tell us a bit about the OGISO era in the history of the Bini people..

We've got many with open mind and taste for learning here...
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

STRANGE: Goats Spotted Climbing A Very Tall Palm Tree (Photos + Video) / New Cartoon Created By Punch Newspaper Sparks Reactions On Social Media. See Pic / Adamawa Reps Candidate, Taslim Ahmed, Blames Bad Economy, Insecurity On Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.