Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,149 members, 7,811,282 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? (27636 Views)

My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue / My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Jerryembassy91(m): 11:46pm On Dec 27, 2018
Thank you, well said but pls firm step like?
MrMcJay:
Your landlord or landlady as the case may be is very wrong.

As a tenant, you have the right of ingress and egress. That right grants you entrance into the property and exit from same. Even if it's not stated in your tenancy agreement, provided that you are a subsisting tenant, she is trampling on your rights.

You need to take a firm step to stop further breach of your rights.
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by ezenna191(m): 11:46pm On Dec 27, 2018
Ensure you pay your rent regularly, give him booze and collect the spare key shikena

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by faithfull18(f): 11:46pm On Dec 27, 2018
Explain to him the reason why you come home late and also ask for a spare key to use whenever you are around.
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by seunmohmoh(f): 11:46pm On Dec 27, 2018
grin
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by emmykk(m): 11:47pm On Dec 27, 2018
For security reason the landlord may want everyone in by 8pm but that is too early, it should be around 9:30pm depending on how busy the location of the house is.

Solution s

1.There should be a way those who come at any time can open the gate from within why they are still outside. That is nobody should leave his apartment to help any late comer,the late come should be able to open the gate from inside while still standing outside and how to do this should only be know to all occupant of that compound. I lived in such kind of gate system for 6yrs . strange r who don't know how the gate is opened usually knock but real tentant can open.

2.start finding your ways from such compound.don't renew your rent and don't stay in a compound where the landlord is within 70% will give you one kind of headache.Am currently living in one right now and I will move out by May.
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by updatechange(m): 11:49pm On Dec 27, 2018
Move out and get a life angry undecided

1 Like

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Jerryembassy91(m): 11:49pm On Dec 27, 2018
Lagos state
mogbojaiye:
Which state is dat if I may ask?
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by MrMcJay(m): 11:49pm On Dec 27, 2018
Jerryembassy91:
Thank you, well said but pls firm step like?

Where are you based?

If in Lagos, check the Citizens Mediation Centre nearest to you. It's cheaper than getting a lawyer as it's free. Also, it's faster than litigation.

I want to discourage you from using self help as you won't know when you cross from right to wrong in defending your rights.

14 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by drmikeadams(m): 11:52pm On Dec 27, 2018
Coming back early no be solution as Lagos traffic is unpredictable... grin grin

15 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Jerryembassy91(m): 11:52pm On Dec 27, 2018
I have done that...thanks anyway i will still try
faithfull18:
Explain to him the reason why you come home late and also ask for a spare key to use whenever you are around.
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Jerryembassy91(m): 11:53pm On Dec 27, 2018
Exactly
drmikeadams:
Coming back early no be solution as Lagos traffic is unpredictable... grin grin
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by officialfysh(m): 11:53pm On Dec 27, 2018
Pay you bills and show him love

3 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Nathan2016: 11:54pm On Dec 27, 2018
spiralwedge:

I had a landlady like that many years ago.I asked for the spare key after explaining my work schedule, she gave me to go make a spare. After a week, she changed the padlock. Confronted her, she said she could not give only me the spare key as I did not have 2 heads. So for a week, I'd be banging for about an hour before she opens the gate. So I told myself I would not renew my rent but before I'd pack out it would be a WWE.
So, I bought a very strong padlock and lock the gate on my way to office and didn't come home for 2 days. That was how the war started. I bought about 3 more padlocks, each was about 1k. Each time they got a welder to cut the damn padlock for 1k.
In the end, with the annoyance of other tenants, we came to a truce. The last padlock I bought was what we settled to use and i ensured every tenant has a copy. And no more banging. We agreed that the gate could be locked at stipulated time but every tenant using the gate must lock with their copy of the key each time.
The landlady, the tenants and neighbors started respecting from that day. I moved from that house to my own after another year there.

NWAFOR

You are a true son of the soil.

Some landlord and landlady sabi craze. If you no show dey your own craze, they will treat u like rag

13 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by theapeman4: 11:59pm On Dec 27, 2018
Jerryembassy91:
I have spoken to him severally over this issue.He said is a new development that the gate must be locked on or before 8pm everyday. From work i do get home between 9 and 9.30..Yesterday i stood outside over an hour knocking.

Pls candid advice is needed...thank you

once happened to me!

simple solution! keep banging the gate like a mad man anytime you come back late!

it work like magic.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by kby: 12:00am On Dec 28, 2018
Start planning to get a new apartment to avoid wahala.

5 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Nobody: 12:01am On Dec 28, 2018
spiralwedge:

I had a landlady like that many years ago.I asked for the spare key after explaining my work schedule, she gave me to go make a spare. After a week, she changed the padlock. Confronted her, she said she could not give only me the spare key as I did not have 2 heads. So for a week, I'd be banging for about an hour before she opens the gate. So I told myself I would not renew my rent but before I'd pack out it would be a WWE.
So, I bought a very strong padlock and lock the gate on my way to office and didn't come home for 2 days. That was how the war started. I bought about 3 more padlocks, each was about 1k. Each time they got a welder to cut the damn padlock for 1k.
In the end, with the annoyance of other tenants, we came to a truce. The last padlock I bought was what we settled to use and i ensured every tenant has a copy. And no more banging. We agreed that the gate could be locked at stipulated time but every tenant using the gate must lock with their copy of the key each time.
The landlady, the tenants and neighbors started respecting from that day. I moved from that house to my own after another year there.

This is a strong one, good thing you did, even tenants after you will benefit from your stand.

8 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by pitamah901: 12:01am On Dec 28, 2018
Just give ur life to Christ and u will see things turn around for u 100% jesus

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Jerryembassy91(m): 12:04am On Dec 28, 2018
sad wink
theapeman4:
once happened to me!

simple solution! keep banging the gate like a mad man anytime you come back late!

it work like magic.
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 28, 2018
ojun50:
I be landlord oh, i no dey in support of yr landlord oh,
Standard time is 10pm

3 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Nobody: 12:11am On Dec 28, 2018
MrMcJay:
Your landlord or landlady as the case may be is very wrong.

As a tenant, you have the right of ingress and egress. That right grants you entrance into the property and exit from same. Even if it's not stated in your tenancy agreement, provided that you are a subsisting tenant, she is trampling on your rights.

You need to take a firm step to stop further breach of your rights.
Ingres and Egress by 1am2am3am
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by lastclaire4(f): 12:12am On Dec 28, 2018
Jerryembassy91:
I have spoken to him severally over this issue.He said is a new development that the gate must be locked on or before 8pm everyday. From work i do get home between 9 and 9.30..Yesterday i stood outside over an hour knocking.

Buy jam lock and share the keys among your neighbours. You can open the gate easily from the outside.
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by 1759King: 12:14am On Dec 28, 2018
I once had a landlady like that while I had a job in Calabar. Everybody warned me about the landlady but I didn't listen.

Well we can't speak ill of the dead (may her soul rest in peace), I became her closest and best tenant at the long run but unfortunately she passed away the morning I was moving out of my apartment.

You have to discuss the issue with the landlord and take a firm stand. A landlord has no business giving out his house to tenants if he can't make certain adjustments to accommodate the needs of his tenants.

After my ordeal in Calabar, I'd never live in a house that the landlord/landlady lives in.

5 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 28, 2018
Jerryembassy91:
Lagos state

I don't advice people to have issue with landlord or landlady, ,,,,i will not even advice u to fight or do king Kong around them say na u get mind pass, ,,,find another apartment without landlady or land lord staying in d same compound ,,,if ur rent is due for repayment, ,,,dats just my advice

To follow old people day drag within belongs to them na wahala, ,,diabolical means fit enter and u get long life ahead of u, ,,,,some of them don die already so they they fine who wan finish d job for real life, ,,,,,some of them are not d owner of d hux, ,probably it is owned by their children who are oversea so day really get time frustrate u, ,,,,,,,just look for some where close by, ,,,its December already and people will likely to change apartment, ,,,if there is more months ask her or him, ,,,dat will will b leaving d hux since u don't comeback to d hux on time u will want to settle for another place so make d owner of d hux balance u, ,,,and if he or she disagree call an elderly person dat always visit her or him in d hux.....my bro this is a brother to a brother advice avoid old people wahala o, ,,,,,their end hour clock is ticking already make u kw go buy market

11 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Encyclopedia1: 12:18am On Dec 28, 2018
Try LandLagos. Talk to me when u are set.
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by braine(m): 12:19am On Dec 28, 2018
spiralwedge:

Chai! This is the most insane story I've ever heard from a tenant! Guy you wicked o. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Jerryembassy91(m): 12:19am On Dec 28, 2018
Thank you very much....i appreciate this
mogbojaiye:

I don't advice people to have issue with landlord or landlady, ,,,,i will not even advice u to fight or do king Kong around them say na u get mind pass, ,,,find another apartment without landlady or land lord staying in d same compound ,,,if ur rent is due for repayment, ,,,dats just my advice

To follow old people day drag within belongs to them na wahala, ,,diabolical means fit enter and u get long life ahead of u, ,,,,some of them don die already so they they fine who wan finish d job for real life, ,,,,,some of them are not d owner of d hux, ,probably it is owned by their children who are oversea so day really get time frustrate u, ,,,,,,,just look for some where close by, ,,,its December already and people will likely to change apartment, ,,,if there is more months ask her or him, ,,,dat will will b leaving d hux since u don't comeback to d hux on time u will want to settle for another place so make d owner of d hux balance u, ,,,and if he or she disagree call an elderly person dat always visit her or him in d hux.....my bro this is a brother to a brother advice avoid old people wahala o, ,,,,,their end hour clock is ticking already make u kw go buy market
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 28, 2018
mogbojaiye:

old people haha
Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by mukthar2000(m): 12:26am On Dec 28, 2018
Get ur neighbors phone number

4 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by teemy(m): 12:26am On Dec 28, 2018
Jerryembassy91:

Get the landlord's number so you can call once you are at the gate. That way, you don't have to knock.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by BornnAgainChild(f): 12:27am On Dec 28, 2018
Kharol1234:
punch is left eyes.....e wil neva try locking u outsyd again

Violence isnt everything my dear

4 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by BornnAgainChild(f): 12:28am On Dec 28, 2018
finebois:
Just commit suicide

Haba...advicing to go suicidal isnt the best

3 Likes

Re: Please Help, How Do I Stop My Landlord From Locking Me Outside Everyday? by Jerryembassy91(m): 12:34am On Dec 28, 2018
Ofcus i av his number...he dont always pick
teemy:

Get the landlord's number so you can call once you are at the gate. That way, you don't have to knock.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Many Feared Trapped As Building Collapses In Kano (Pictures) / Man Loses Baby In Imo Building Collapse,Escaped With Only Wife & 2 Clothes.PICS / Construction Diary Of A Block Of 6 Flats (2 Bedrooms) In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.