Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget (3593 Views)

Food Prices Jump By 31%, Says NBS / FG Mulls Major Slash In Petrol Consumption Volume / Nigeria’s Inflation Decreases To 11.31% In February - NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by Nwaforj44: 6:01am On Dec 28, 2018
The Nigerian National Merit Award (NNMA) has lamented a 31 per cent cut in its 2019 budget, insisting that such will only double its serially increasing debt burden from one year to another.

According to the NNMA, prior to the slash, the allocation from the federal government alone was grossly inadequate to meet its statutory demands, adding that with the shortfall, the agency will hardly survive 2019 without encountering financial hardship.

Chairman of the governing board, Prof Shekarau Yakubu Aku who stated this in Abuja at the opening ceremony of the 11th forum of the laureates of the Nigerian National Order of Merit (NNOM) themed, “The Imperative of Unity in Diversity”.

He said the slash will further create untold hardship to the agency in fulfilling its mandate, and called on the federal government to give legal backing on the proposed NNMA policy group.

The group, he maintained, has the ability to assist government at all levels in policy implementation and programmes.

Aku said: “It is unfortunate also that the cut down of NNMA’s capital budget for year 2019 by 31 per cent will further create untold hardship on achieving the core mandate of the NNMA.

“The allocation from the federal government alone is grossly inadequate to meet the needs of the NNMA, so the agency hardly survives in a year without facing pronounced financial hardship that frequently threatens its core mandate, which creates a serially correlated debt burden from one year to the next,” he said.

Meanwhile, after a rigorous screening exercise by the board, only one winner emerged as the 2018 recipient of the Nigerian National Order of Merit (NNOM).

The awardee in all the categories namely humanities, science, medicine, engineering and technology, is Prof. Olufemi Obafemi, a creative writer, critic, dramatist as well as a theatre director.

Aku said due to the strictness employed, many were not configured and so did not apply, noting that nominations had not dropped but that those who submitted themselves were below what was expected.

“The process of selection is very rigorous. The nominees must support with the evidence of their work that has been researched and this is quite an expensive exercise,” he added.

More details at https://www.akelicious.net/2018/12/nnma-laments-31-slash-in-capital-budget.html
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by cassette(m): 6:16am On Dec 28, 2018
undecided undecided
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by elitejosef: 6:16am On Dec 28, 2018
Watin all this people they use the money do self
Civil servant n public servants Don turn corruption it's o

Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:17am On Dec 28, 2018
Stealing is no more corruption

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by Trendy247: 6:18am On Dec 28, 2018
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by Last355(m): 6:20am On Dec 28, 2018
Tivs!!
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by Brandler: 6:21am On Dec 28, 2018
Wow
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by Nobody: 6:21am On Dec 28, 2018
White elephant awards that rewards the old cargoes that ruined this country. Good. Kuku scrap the whole shyt jor.

2 Likes

Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by AceRoyal: 6:21am On Dec 28, 2018
post=74227098:
Stealing is no more corruption
Bro the chairman is complaining in of a 31% slash in "Capital" budget.
I think the 2019 budget is the biggest budget in the history of this nation, yet the claims by this agency shows the reality on ground.

The funding and implementation of the 2019 budget will be a very big problem and I doubt if it'll be implemented even up to 50%,since that of 2017 and 2018 was under 60% implementation.

Our reoccurring expenditures is out weighting our capital expenditures, a big danger for true sustainable development.

So many MDA's ought to be merged or scraped and the cost of governance reduce for use to meet up significant with the budget implementation, in terms of capital and human development.

God Bless Nigeria.

I LOVE MY COUNTRY BUT I'M ASHAMED OF OUR LEADERS!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:24am On Dec 28, 2018
AceRoyal:

I think this is the biggest budget in the history of this nation, yet the claims by this agency shows the reality on ground.

The funding and implementation of this budget will be a very big problem and I doubt if it'll be implemented even up to 50%,since that of 2017 and 2018 was under 60% implementation.
Our reoccurring expenditures is out weighting our capital expenditures, a big danger for true sustainable development.

God Bless Nigeria.
You have made some very good points in all you said and we respect your views as always bro.
God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by NwaliE01: 6:28am On Dec 28, 2018
I was thinking is NEMA.
They should have cut the budget by 50%.
We are not feeling the impact of this agency as such.
They should have integrate them into another agency na.
NNMA work is majorly screening and award.

2 Likes

Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by jomoh: 6:34am On Dec 28, 2018
AceRoyal:

I think this is the biggest budget in the history of this nation, yet the claims by this agency shows the reality on ground.

The funding and implementation of this budget will be a very big problem and I doubt if it'll be implemented even up to 50%,since that of 2017 and 2018 was under 60% implementation.

So many MDA's ought to be merged or scraped and the cost of governance reduce for use to meet up significant with the budget implementation, in terms of capital and human development.

God Bless Nigeria.

Dude, The man is complaining about 31% cut in NNMA’s capital budget not the whole national budget.

What capital infrastructure does an agency that gives awards to rogues that rules and spoiled nigeria before need.

5 Likes

Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by pwbtayx: 6:35am On Dec 28, 2018
Good
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by Emmy3(m): 6:39am On Dec 28, 2018
The budget of Nigeria is a mere document.
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by AceRoyal: 6:40am On Dec 28, 2018
jomoh:

Dude, The man is complaining about 31% cut in NNMA’s capital budget not the whole national budget.

What capital infrastructure does an agency that gives awards to rogues that rules and spoiled nigeria before need.

Did you read my whole write up or you chose to read only the first sentence?
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by prela(f): 6:41am On Dec 28, 2018
Why are they lamenting. Whi
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by Boyooosa(m): 6:43am On Dec 28, 2018
The allocation from the federal government alone is grossly inadequate to meet the needs of the NNMA, so the agency hardly survives in a year without facing pronounced financial hardship that frequently threatens its core mandate which creates a serially correlated debt burden from one year to the next,” he said.

Let thee bringforth thy mandate, alas, we Nigerians justifieth the slash suffereth unto thee. KJV version.

1 Like

Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by jomoh: 6:52am On Dec 28, 2018
AceRoyal:

Did you read my whole write up or you chose to read only the first sentence?

I did and didn’t see where you differentiated between the two.

Maybe if you explained the statement below further or rather rephrase it, it would make your whole comment to be less ambiguous.

yet the claims by this agency shows the reality on ground.
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by chrisluci: 7:49am On Dec 28, 2018
All of you chanting sai baba because of #30,000 that can't recharge the phones of these politicians' girlfriends, should think about your unborn children, and what the future holds for us. Also think about the millions who go to bed hungry because of the state of things right now in this country. Like Esau, don't sell your birthright for a pot of porridge!
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by 2n2k(m): 7:58am On Dec 28, 2018
jomoh:

You confused NNMA with National Honours Committee which is under the office of the Secretary to Govt of the Federation.
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by chloride6: 8:34am On Dec 28, 2018
Nonsense journalism

How much was the budget slashed from and what is now left...
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by jomoh: 9:17am On Dec 28, 2018
2n2k:

You confused NNMA with National Honours Committee which is under the office of the Secretary to Govt of the Federation.

Na wa o

So which one be National Merit Awards again abi no be aware dem dey give.

I sha know dem no dey construct roads.
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by donqx: 9:24am On Dec 28, 2018
smiley
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by 2n2k(m): 9:38am On Dec 28, 2018
jomoh:

Na wa o

So which one be National Merit Awards again abi no be aware dem dey give.

I sha know dem no dey construct roads.

NNMA gives merit award to outstanding academics, usually one or two persons (mostly professors) per year.

National Honours Committee make recommendation to the President on the award of national honours - those GCFR, MON, CON and the rest.

I responded initially because you said NNMA gives award to rogues who have ruled Nigeria before
Re: NNMA Laments 31% Slash In Capital Budget by 9jaRealist: 10:28am On Dec 28, 2018
In fact, they should SCRAP the award altogether.

Why do we need to build an entire BUREAUCRACY over a honorarium to one or two persons per year? I bet you that every member of the governing board has an official car and official accommodation in Abuja, plus expense accounts, while the members of the senior management each have both plus other “entitlements” (including estacode). That’s why the Nigerian government spends more than N3 out of every N4 that it earns or borrows on so-called recurrent expenditures. SMH

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Igbo Men Should Not Kneel Down To Propose To A Lady – Pete Edochie / Governor Diri Hires Six SANS,46 Lawyers To Defend Him At Election Tribunal / Nigeria Mourns Officer Tolulope Arotile As She Is Buried - (video biography)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.