Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,457 members, 7,812,404 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? (40163 Views)

Pastor Caught Pants Down While Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman.. Photos / Christian women wearing trouser, ear ring, ornament etc is a big satanic trap / What's Wrong With Wearing A Trouser To Church?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by donnie(m): 6:04pm On Feb 24, 2006
1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by allonym: 12:30am On Mar 01, 2006
donnie:

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

You do understand that the scripture you are quoting essentially says that YOU don't know what you're talking about.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by 4real(m): 4:20am On Mar 01, 2006
well you people just shut up and lets get this thread through with
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by allonym: 7:54am On Mar 04, 2006
4real:

well you people just shut up and lets get this thread through with

why should threads die if people are not done discussing it? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the thread? Or do these threads only exist according to your will?
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by donnie(m): 7:02pm On Mar 04, 2006
Allonym,

You think that way bc u do not know who i am.

I know who i am!!!

I have been born of the Spirit of God. I am a partaker of the divine nature of God.

The Mighty Spirit of God resides in me.

I have the mind of Christ. I can understand when He talks.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by 4real(m): 2:25am On Mar 05, 2006
cause of you two nokul heads that is why i said it should stop, you guys are now fighting over what, thhe fact that you both are son's of God, son's my ass, if you were from the same father you would not attack yourself in public. you both should just shut up and lets get on with life @donnie and @allonym
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by kenshin(m): 1:54am On Apr 03, 2006
just wanted to make a comment on the topic of this thread,
personally i do not condemn any lady who wears trousers, I have female friends who wear them consistently and I am very comfortable with it, however we should also understand that the gospel we carry must not be offensive to the non-believer,
let me give an illustration.
during my NYSC,( I served in Imo State) we usually went for village evangelism, whenever we go we usually advise the ladies to wear a skirt over the NYSC uniform for the simple reason that the villagers regard trouser wearing girls as very loose and promiscuous, so if u come with trousers to preach to them they will not take you serious.
So what is my point? If some thing you are doing is hardening another person against the gospel then for that person's sake do away with it
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by allonym: 6:31pm On Apr 09, 2006
4real:

cause of you two nokul heads that is why i said it should stop, you guys are now fighting over what, thhe fact that you both are son's of God, son's my ass, if you were from the same father you would not attack yourself in public. you both should just shut up and lets get on with life @donnie and @allonym

its is knuckle, not nokul. In any case, nobody is forcing you to read this. Perhaps you should shut up, and let those who want to talk, do so.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Rhodalyn(f): 6:33pm On Apr 09, 2006
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shuttin people up when this forum is opened to everyone? ?
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by allonym: 6:35pm On Apr 09, 2006
Rhodalyn:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shuttin people up when this forum is opened to everyone? ?

can you believe his nerve. .
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Rhodalyn(f): 6:35pm On Apr 09, 2006
last time i checked, U were da one askin someone to shut up
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by jagunlabi(m): 6:38pm On Apr 09, 2006
Trousers existed in the biblical times?!
How can what does not exist in the biblical times be condemned by the bible?Abeg,na just interpretations.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by allonym: 6:39pm On Apr 09, 2006
Rhodalyn:

last time i checked, U were da one askin someone to shut up

4real:

Perhaps you did not read this.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by kenshin(m): 9:41pm On Apr 11, 2006
just wanted to ask a question. are the scots breaking God's laws by wearing Skirts(Kilts)? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by diddy4(m): 1:03am On Apr 17, 2006
alright let me clear something up. someone said dressing depends on culture. i totally agree with that fellow. over here in the USA, if women know what a skirt means it will be because of the television shown in black and white. its all culture and stuff. my girl looks hot on pants so i dont want her wearing no skirt. girls should dress responsibly thats the point of all this discussions.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:09am On Apr 17, 2006
allonym:

Perhaps you did not read this.

allonym:

its is knuckle, not nokul. In any case, nobody is forcing you to read this. Perhaps you should shut up, and let those who want to talk, do so.
perhaps U also forgot 2 include U'rs
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by madam: 4:14pm On Apr 18, 2006
na wa sha. Enough "Shutting Ups"

@ allonym i guess u just learnt the word - Congrats on ur new Vocab
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by kaylala(m): 5:20pm On Apr 18, 2006
undecided
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Ivvie: 8:45pm On Aug 02, 2007
@ ldollier

Yes it is condemned. It's defined as cross-dressing.

@IAH

Trousers/ breeches are trousers/breeches. You cannot modify that. There is no such thing as men's trousers and women's trousers. It is nothing but variations. God is not mocked.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by pilgrim1(f): 1:33pm On Aug 10, 2007
Na wa. This issue about wearing trouser or not is serious enough to now have caught the attention of RCCG. grin
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Banderas(m): 1:35pm On Aug 10, 2007
Ivvie, what is cross dressing? Where in the bible is that? If a man wears a gown, is that also cross dressing? What if a woman wears pants/trousers?
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by pilgrim1(f): 1:55pm On Aug 10, 2007
People, make we use our God-given intelligences.

I think when some people read Deut. 22:5, they see 'trouser' there - whereas, the word trouser does not apear there at all! No matter how many times we have to remind readers, some would still see zippers and all sorts in that verse. Let's just agree on one thing: MAN has tried to inserte 'trouser' in that verse - but GOD did not. The verse should be carefully interpreted in its context - and no matter how far anyone wants to stretch it, it simply means that people (men and women) should not confuse their dress-sense.

How about taking a look at some other plainly mentioned attire? To whom do these attires appertain:

SKIRTS?

Would anyone be surprised to note that MEN wore these even in Bible times? Oh yes O. . . men wore them.

Deut. 22:30 - 'A man shall not take his father's wife, nor discover his father's skirt.' Of course, that verse does not say that a father wore skirts back then; but I simply quoted it to show how some people mis-apply texts without carefully considering their contexts (see Deut. 27:20).

Let's see a few cases that actually say that men dressed in attires that had SKIRTS:

1. When Boaz encountered that lovely damsel Ruth, this is the conversation that ensued between them (and please not that it was rather Boaz the man who wore the skirt):

Ruth 3:9 - "And he said, Who art thou? And she answered, I am Ruth thine handmaid: spread therefore thy skirt over thine handmaid; for thou art a near kinsman."

2. "And as Samuel turned about to go away, he laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent." (1 Sam. 15:27)

3. "And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the LORD said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe privily. And it came to pass afterward, that David's heart smote him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt. " (1 Sam. 24:4 & 5).

4. "It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments" (Psa. 133:2)

5. The prophet Ezekiel was instructed by God thus: "Thou shalt also take thereof a few in number, and bind them in thy skirts" (Ezek 5:3).

Okay people, I am not saying that these men wore the common skirts of our day - at least it's clear that in most cases there were qualified ('skirts of his garments').

Now, for those who always want to read "trousers" into Deut. 22:5 everytime, could we please ask that you turn your eyes at those men who now wear shoulder pads and (in some bizzaar instances) BRAS? What about lipstick men? Scarf nko? Shower-cap pastors?!? shocked etc.

Deut. 22:5 is not the redcard verse against trousers for women. The point is that we (men and women) do not confuse their genders in their dress-sense.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by kellorah: 1:57pm On Aug 10, 2007
As far as I know, Jesus and Co wore 'gowns' 'garments' etc undecided
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by pilgrim1(f): 1:59pm On Aug 10, 2007
kellorah:

As far as I know, Jesus and Co wore 'gowns' 'garments' etc undecided

Quote am for them before they read "Versace" into the NT! grin

Matt. 9:21 -- "For she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole."
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Banderas(m): 2:04pm On Aug 10, 2007
I'm an Itsekiri man, my traditional "kit" is to tie a wrapper. My ex was a north indian (Punjabi), her traditional wear was a tight (tank) top and baggy trousers. So i guess all Itsekiri (and other south-south tribes), and all indians are sinners just through their cultural attire?
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by pilgrim1(f): 2:07pm On Aug 10, 2007
Banderas:

So i guess all Itsekiri (and other south-south tribes), and all indians are sinners just through their cultural attire?

Nope. . . Lol. It just simply means that you have the choice to either comply with the ban, or stay out if it gets uncomfy! grin

Just kidding. Don't take the ban serioudly bro. . . PM News has a reputation for afternoon jokes.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Ivvie: 10:17pm On Aug 10, 2007
@ Banderas

Cross dressing is wearing whatever pertains to the opposite sex (whatever pertains or identifies the opposite sex).  That isn't limited to clothings, but hairstyles, unisex colognes (clothings) shoes, etc.  Unisex is another method of deceiving yourself.  There is no such.  Men with ear-rings, long hair, plaited hair, necklaces and other forms of ornaments are cross-dressing.  Some people sit and decide how they'll run other people's lives.  They are the elites.  Sure, their kids aren't permitted to practice any of this fads but the common man. 

Observe the changes within the last 15 - 20 years.  A few weeks ago, I was waiting by the terminal to get a ride to the parking lot.  One of the boys had eye-liner on.  Mos' def., it's irritating but in a few years, nobody's going to see anything wrong with it and in it.  Today, we have men with full-blown breasts and actively fighting for equal rights and against social discrimination. Breasts are synonymous to women and the society doesn't need an alteration.  I won't see much of a problem if you kept your madness to yourself but a problem when you try to win over the public's acceptance.  Things keep getting worse.  You cain a child whenever the child begins to drift or wonder from an expected course.  Completely disregarding this principle will demand a heavy price in the future. 

Banderas, the bible makes references to this issue in different books.  Women, as time will fulfill will flock over men to just bear his name (about 7 to a man).  They would be independent and live without the dependence of man.  All they want is his name so that the reproach wouldn't be on their heads.  The new testament also made it clear that the barren would bless for not having kids because the generation would be so wicked.   The era will end when a few Christians will unleash a hostile takeover lest God will destroy the earth.

If you want the scriptures, open a thread in the Christian forum and I will lace the scripture to you.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by Ivvie: 10:22pm On Aug 10, 2007
@ Kellorah

What the men wore in those days were just above their knees or slighly below their knees with shorts underneath it. Women wore flowing gowns. From my understanding of the bible, women are to be covered all the way down with more than three-forth of their legs covered.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by TCUBE(m): 7:27am On Aug 11, 2007
guess we have to define what women and mens clothings are,
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by fyneguy: 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2007
I'm loving this,

, seems some 'christians' still live in the pre-resurrection days (old testament).

It's because of such issues as this that made God send Jesus to the world, so that we could be partakers of the divine nature, powered by the holyghost as against the laws in the old testament.

The truth is any christian filled with the holyspirit knows the right things to do. You wont wear anything indecent-you'll know it!

You dont need to see it in the bible to know that wearing skimpy skirts is wrong. Wearing troussers aint bad so far it's decent.

We all need to be filled with the holyspirit and the word of God.
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by denniz(m): 2:54pm On Nov 29, 2007
:d
Re: Is It True: Wearing Trouser/Pants Is Condemned In The Bible? by atutupoyo(f): 1:25pm On Dec 02, 2007
Hi, I guess what am saying has been said. "The bible says Men should not wear what pertains to women and vise-versa" the question to be asked is what pertains to women that men shouldnt wear and same for women. In the bibical days both men and women wore robes nobody wore trousers so the bible didnt say trousers are for men. It is a cultural thing,their cultural wear is robes. Is it a sin for the Ibgo men to tie wrappers? We make noise concerning this topic because is gender biased. in that same chapter God said we should not combine material like wool and linen but we do it and nobody blinks, so lets read the bible and ask the Holy spirit to minister to us and live our lifes holy and acceptable to God and stop throwing stones. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Calendar Souvenir Made For Apostle Suleman When He Got Married In 2004 / Apostle Johnson Suleman: In COVID I Bought My Third Private Jet (Video) / I Committed A Sexual Sin. And I'm Too Scared And Ashamed To Pray. Please Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.