Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,137 members, 7,852,865 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 07:25 AM

Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? (28087 Views)

Is Grace Truly A Licence To Sin And Live Anyhow? / Does God Truly Hate Masturbation? / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Abdelux223: 9:50am On Dec 30, 2018
Bet is a sin, it decreases your wealth, but you don't even know it, if you realise how much you have lose to how much you have gain, you will abstain from it totally, it's like you are dashing your hard earned cash to apo agbana (bag of losses)

4 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by easzypeaszy(m): 9:50am On Dec 30, 2018
Hhj
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by domino4211(m): 9:50am On Dec 30, 2018
It's definitely not a sin.. No single biblical reference to gambling. The word 'gambling' just has a negative aura .. Same way 'atheism' has a negative aura . But It really isn't bad. Everything you do in life is a gamble.

2 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Itzurboi(m): 9:51am On Dec 30, 2018
Sport betting is a sin but sport trading is not... Most sport bettors engage in a 98%-2% winning battle with the bookies unlike traders who trade at 55%-45% chance having an edge over the bookies, it's all smart work/analysis (poisson formula)... So a successful punter, its no sin.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by toprealman: 9:51am On Dec 30, 2018
Sin or not....not a thing I want to go into anytime soon.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 30, 2018
dbynonetwork:

Give convincing reasons.... Don't be dumb..
In your own interest stay away from gambling. All that the bible says a man should go out to do his daily work. Gambling is a Sin and will give you bad luck in life Dont waste away your years
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by kullozone(m): 9:51am On Dec 30, 2018
sexiestharam:
Whether it is a sin or not, Sports betting is killing Nigerians slowly but they are yet to realise it. I know a man who has become a sport betting addict. He is a liability even to himself. Borrows for betting and loses. He has no properties, no salary even though he is paid a comfortable salary. Everything goes to debts!

It only kills the foolish... and fools deserve to die slowly, so the man can die as well.

Wise ones like me and a few others will Continue to cash outsmiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by kingchris30(m): 9:51am On Dec 30, 2018
no it is not a sin. you are not harming anybody or yourself, it is just taking risk, life is about risk. is just that you should bet with sense.

2 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by BRASH: 9:52am On Dec 30, 2018
If sports betting is a sin, then forex trading and buying of shares is also a sin

8 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by gr8tone: 9:52am On Dec 30, 2018
Psainte20:
Proverbs 13:11New Living Translation (NLT)
11 Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears;
wealth from hard work grows over time.
Like it or not sport betting is a get rich quick scheme
From NIV it says " dishonest money dwendles away..." is money from betting dishonest money? Even if i will take it from the perspective of the NLT, does that makes betting a sin?

1 Like

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 9:52am On Dec 30, 2018
sexiestharam:
Whether it is a sin or not, Sports betting is killing Nigerians slowly but they are yet to realise it. I know a man who has become a sport betting addict. He is a liability even to himself. Borrows for betting and loses. He has no properties, no salary even though he is paid a comfortable salary. Everything goes to debts!

grin grin, it's easier to get addicted to betting than drugs or sex. That kind euphoria feeling of winning millions and buying yourself anything in world the moment you picking games. grin
If you know you know.

5 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Eres94: 9:52am On Dec 30, 2018
it isn't a sin...betting is based in probability.. and we are engaged in a lot of things that uses probability as it one of its features... even the so called stock exchange market.
betting in another perspective is a game: and we all know what involving yourself in a game means.
it carries fun, promotes social ties with people and keeps u busy..not depressed.
betting has its flaws like...the system mostly favours the owners & agents, it can be addictive (I believe this is where its a sin #lust and there could be over reliance on it as a source of income for ones livelihood (here u can say its utter foolishness although there testimonies of it be favourable)
gambling is not a sin...another word 4 it is gaming

is gaming a sin ?

besides didn't our wonderful heavenly father in some way made a bet ..telling Satan how loyal job was to him...that was a bet # gamble why becos job could have disappointed God in the end and Satan's claim be right becos he has free will
do u think that Christ's temptation was ordinary... he too had free will and could have chosen to disobey God n did what Satan told him...
free will begat probability... so anything can happen
but God is above probability.. n he is in control

2 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by gr8tone: 9:53am On Dec 30, 2018
Btruth:
Figure of speech. I meant the day FOREX turns to sin, then sport betting will be.

Because they are both an investment.
Lol, I got you
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by NarnieSnyper(m): 9:53am On Dec 30, 2018
Btruth:
..... If FOREX is a sin, then sport betting is.

Bless you for this. I was about asking same question too but decided to read through first.

Forex trading is almost same as sports' betting; You get to predict and hope the outcome favours you in the end.

But some "holier than thou" will want to condemn it but since they have no biblical reference, they decided to keep mute.

5 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 9:53am On Dec 30, 2018
Vision2045:
Sport betting is a business source but highly risky ....its pure financial wisdom to invest only what you can afford to lose.

Reason why it becomes a bad venture is that most users invest so much and have high expectations, and when they lose they go extreme to find another capital to invest.

Sport betting requires strategy that fits each individual pockets...you don't have to play it every weekend or everyday..u can play it when all situation puts a team under pressure to win at all cost..

I have more to say..but I will put hand to rest.

Meanwhile ...I made close to N800,000 this year from several winnings..some times I stake on just two teams that are in a must win situations.
Like Tottenham, abi?
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Psainte20(m): 9:53am On Dec 30, 2018
[quote author=HarkymTheOracle post=74289196]Please if you say YES, reference it with your holy book..

Proverbs 13:11 New Living Translation (NLT)
11 Wealth from get-rich-quick schemes quickly disappears;
wealth from hard work grows over time.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Btruth: 9:55am On Dec 30, 2018
NarnieSnyper:

Bless you for this. I was about asking same question too but decided to read through first.

Forex trading is almost same as sports' betting; You get to predict and hope the outcome favours you in the end.

But some "holier than thou" will want to condemn it but since they have no biblical reference, they decided to keep mute.

... Beeni ooo. Everything is about money nii ooo.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Toks2008(m): 9:55am On Dec 30, 2018
gr8tone:
Sports betting to me is placing your money on predictable outcomes. If it turns out positive, you gain but if it turns otherwise you lose. I know that the Bible warns against the love for money or material things above God. But i find it difficult to see betting as a sin. Most youths today are into sport betting but the church is silent about whether it is a sin or not. I am saying this because I am yet to see any preacher publicly condamn sport betting.

I am into betting. Any one who will condamn betting as regards Christians believe should do so with Bible references to convince me. I am not upholding my opinion above others. I only seek to know.

You may call it a bad habit but definitely not a sin.
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by gr8tone: 9:57am On Dec 30, 2018
post=74289094:
The Bible does not specifically condemn gambling, betting, or the lottery. The Bible does warn us, however, to stay away from the love of money (1 Timothy 6:10; Hebrews 13:5). Scripture also encourages us to stay away from attempts to “get rich quick” (Proverbs 13:11; 23:5; Ecclesiastes 5:10). Gambling most definitely is focused on the love of money and undeniably tempts people with the promise of quick and easy riches.

What is wrong with gambling? Gambling is a difficult issue because if it is done in moderation and only on occasion, it is a waste of money, but it is not necessarily evil. People waste money on all sorts of activities. Gambling is no more or less of a waste of money than seeing a movie (in many cases), eating an unnecessarily expensive meal, or purchasing a worthless item. At the same time, the fact that money is wasted on other things does not justify gambling. Money should not be wasted. Excess money should be saved for future needs or given to the Lord's work, not gambled away.

Can lotto/lottery proceeds please God? Many people claim to be playing the lottery or gambling so that they can give the money to the church or to some other good cause. While this may be a good motive, reality is that few use gambling winnings for godly purposes. Studies show that the vast majority of lottery winners are in an even worse financial situation a few years after winning a jackpot than they were before. Few, if any, truly give the money to a good cause. Further, God does not need our money to fund His mission in the world. Proverbs 13:11 says, “Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.” God is sovereign and will provide for the needs of the church through honest means. Would God be honored by receiving donated drug money or money stolen in a bank robbery? Of course not. Neither does God need or want money that was “stolen” from the poor in the temptation for riches.
unbiased submission. Thanks
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by DaddyGngeess(m): 9:57am On Dec 30, 2018
My friend just won 28k euros this morning...
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 30, 2018
post=74289094:
The Bible does not specifically condemn gambling, betting, or the lottery. The Bible does warn us, however, to stay away from the love of money (1 Timothy 6:10; Hebrews 13:5). Scripture also encourages us to stay away from attempts to “get rich quick” (Proverbs 13:11; 23:5; Ecclesiastes 5:10). Gambling most definitely is focused on the love of money and undeniably tempts people with the promise of quick and easy riches.

What is wrong with gambling? Gambling is a difficult issue because if it is done in moderation and only on occasion, it is a waste of money, but it is not necessarily evil. People waste money on all sorts of activities. Gambling is no more or less of a waste of money than seeing a movie (in many cases), eating an unnecessarily expensive meal, or purchasing a worthless item. At the same time, the fact that money is wasted on other things does not justify gambling. Money should not be wasted. Excess money should be saved for future needs or given to the Lord's work, not gambled away.

Can lotto/lottery proceeds please God? Many people claim to be playing the lottery or gambling so that they can give the money to the church or to some other good cause. While this may be a good motive, reality is that few use gambling winnings for godly purposes. Studies show that the vast majority of lottery winners are in an even worse financial situation a few years after winning a jackpot than they were before. Few, if any, truly give the money to a good cause. Further, God does not need our money to fund His mission in the world. Proverbs 13:11 says, “Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.” God is sovereign and will provide for the needs of the church through honest means. Would God be honored by receiving donated drug money or money stolen in a bank robbery? Of course not. Neither does God need or want money that was “stolen” from the poor in the temptation for riches.
After all the epistle u got only one share which I know u cliked by yourself.

This should tell u how Nlanders feel about u.
You're a nuisance and a miscreant that shouldn't be on this forum, u should be in a hospital by now.... Worst of all is you roast dead human meat instead of actual animal meat... Stop commenting on Nland

6 Likes

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Coolgent(m): 9:58am On Dec 30, 2018
sexiestharam:
Tell them my Sister!
God/Allah knows what betting can lead thats why both Christianity and Islam forbid it
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by gr8tone: 9:58am On Dec 30, 2018
Toks2008:

You may call it a bad habit but definitely not a sin.
Bad habit? You think so? Your opinion though
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Shedrack36(m): 9:59am On Dec 30, 2018
[quote author=Wordson post=74289460]Its not absolutely spelt out in d scriptures dat its a sin but check dese scriptures....dey will enlighten more. 1Tim6:10, Eccl5:10,Heb13:5.. Be it as it may, betting is a form of gambling. I was once into it, and would pray to God dat I win...but I remember d day I prayed earnestly and God told me unequivocally that, I don't want u playing that thing... I had to stop.[/quote

we are working all because of money,pls let us not misunderstand it.
consider this Eccl 9:10
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 30, 2018
Btruth:
..... If FOREX is a sin, then sport betting is.

Forex, stock, investment, crypto etc are still different from betting. But from a surface and loose perspective, since they all involve predicting before you win, then I can agree they are all like the same thing.
Anyway, I don't see betting as wrong, it all depends on you, as long as you're 18+, and aware of the risk and heartbreaks. Then the rest doesn't concern anyone.

1 Like

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 30, 2018
Rebornhombre:
If sport betting is that bad, then FX Trading is bad too. There is no different between the both..

1xbet end of the world prediction.

The world will end 2019

Yes odds 10000.00 and No odds 1.0001

If the world end how do you collect your winning? Lol
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 10:00am On Dec 30, 2018
I don't know oo

Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by Nobody: 10:00am On Dec 30, 2018
Earthbound:

Like Tottenham, abi?

Arsenal, Madrid, barca, n tot..but all will be fine...if their next match is home
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by KingThreatzz: 10:01am On Dec 30, 2018
No it is not. You think say e easy to predict?
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by micgray100(m): 10:02am On Dec 30, 2018
My own personal opinion.. Is not.. But doing it over to the extend that you can not take care of the basic amenities in your life and love ones around is a sin..
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by gr8tone: 10:03am On Dec 30, 2018
devilmaycry:
Gambling is a sin....same applies to bet
please, substantiate your claim with biblical references please. I earnestly want to know
Re: Is Sport Betting Truly A Sin? by 12345baba(m): 10:04am On Dec 30, 2018
Its a bad habit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Prophet Odumeje's Music Performance In London (Photos, Video) / I Saw A UFO Last Night!!! / The Gospel Of Barnabas(the True Forgotten Gospel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.